Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 188 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 03-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #91
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.
 
xinababo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 275
So is limebarb.com a scam too sorta? I was about to order from there... T_T
__________________
"We come all da way from that far country, China and we born you here in America just so you can get B+?!!!" XD!!!

KORE TE DESTINYYYY~?! -Nobuta wo Produce <3

Last edited by xinababo : 03-15-2006 at 01:35 PM.
xinababo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 03-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #92
AnnAnime
Registered User
 
AnnAnime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 160
I personally do not know if she scammed anyone but you shouldn't say that just because the costume is not perfect, that she is not worth going to.

I promise you that ABSOLUTELY no costume Will be as you say "perfect"

THere is ALWAYS going to be some kind of imperfection and to try to be perfect is absolutly impossible because no one is perfect. I hate to have to tell you that but we live in an imperfect world.

There is always going to be an uneven seam or something that's not perfect.
AND to try tp be perfect is not worth the time and effort becuase it will never be perfect.

Also I want to add that commissioners take ANIMATED characters and Actually make their outfits. We're talking about bringing a character that is not real to life. There are no patterns you can buy at the store for these costumes so we have to make the patterns ourselves. You have to pay for the time it takes to make the pattern too along with labour for the costume and along with material costs (this runs $60-$100 depending on materials) then there's expenses.

All of that can add up to alot of money. I actually under charge for my costumes. I say I charge $8-$10 per hour when actually I charge $5-$6 per hour.

So don't expect to get a "perfect" costume because it NEVER going to happen and don't expect to pay $30-$50 for a complete costume. Or even $100 for that matter. If you pay $100 you can expect to get a Cheaply. badly made costume because you get what you pay for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleriumx
The quality of the product was not bad, but it certainly wasn't perfect and hardly worth the trouble she caused to get it, nor the price she charged.
__________________
Ann's Anime Costumes and More!( costume commissions and more)
AnnAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #93
deleriumx
i take pictures
 
deleriumx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 46
that is not the reason i said dont go to her. i said she missed the deadline and tried to blame it on me. that is the reason people should be wary of her.

the fact that obvious details in the costume were missed was just an extra nail in the coffin. And by not perfect, i dont mean an uneven seam or a sleeve that is slightly longer than another. i mean a big design element that was completely left out. A huge design on the back of the costume was simply not there. To me, that is just not being careful in the construction of a customer's garment. I am not a diva cosplayer, but i am sure you know as well as i do that details like this are important to the accuracy of a costume. and people like their costumes to be accurate. The whole reason i got the costume commissioned in the first place was i knew i couldnt do it justice with my own sewing skills. I dont really appreciate being talked down to my someone i dont know telling me "I hate to have to tell you we live in an imperfect world" like i was born yesterday when you dont have all the details of why i say what i say.

Oh and by the way. i spent WAY more than $100, but thanks for assuming thats all i spent. and most people would probably go raise hell if their product was not perfect for the amount of money i paid, but i was so thankful to get the stupid thing finally that i let it go. I just figured it was worthy to note to those who are interested that for all the wait, missed deadline, excuses, finger pointing, etc.. the costume should have been accurate at least. then it might have been worth the trouble.
deleriumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #94
+Gogo+
Calamity Jane~&amp;amp;lt;3
 
+Gogo+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 325
I tend to disagree. If someone is paying you to make something that you say you have the skill and expertise to finish on time and as perfect as you can get it, then you should do your very best job to get it as perfect as possible. This is especially true if said amount of payment is in the triple digits.

I make sure my wigs are 99.9% accurate if not 100% accurate. You can get it as perfect as is humanly possible if you go the extra mile (spend time on it, use only high quality materials, have as many references as possible...).

I also thought it was quite rude to go off on this girl who has had a bad experience and trying to make her statement invalid. That's what this thread is here for, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnAnime
I personally do not know if she scammed anyone but you shouldn't say that just because the costume is not perfect, that she is not worth going to.

I promise you that ABSOLUTELY no costume Will be as you say "perfect"

THere is ALWAYS going to be some kind of imperfection and to try to be perfect is absolutly impossible because no one is perfect. I hate to have to tell you that but we live in an imperfect world.

There is always going to be an uneven seam or something that's not perfect.
AND to try tp be perfect is not worth the time and effort becuase it will never be perfect.

Also I want to add that commissioners take ANIMATED characters and Actually make their outfits. We're talking about bringing a character that is not real to life. There are no patterns you can buy at the store for these costumes so we have to make the patterns ourselves. You have to pay for the time it takes to make the pattern too along with labour for the costume and along with material costs (this runs $60-$100 depending on materials) then there's expenses.

All of that can add up to alot of money. I actually under charge for my costumes. I say I charge $8-$10 per hour when actually I charge $5-$6 per hour.

So don't expect to get a "perfect" costume because it NEVER going to happen and don't expect to pay $30-$50 for a complete costume. Or even $100 for that matter. If you pay $100 you can expect to get a Cheaply. badly made costume because you get what you pay for.
__________________
http://www.kawaiiwigs.net
A one stop commissions site for wigs and accessories!
+Gogo+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #95
dchan
Disney Princess
 
dchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 314
I think you guys are hitting too hard on the free-web host commissioners. When I first started commissioning I had to use a free web host to post stuff in, because I couldn't afford to pay for a yearly domain fee & monthly hosting.

-You can use Free Geocities for Small Business, its even one of the options in their "new account" survey when they ask you what your site is for.

-Just because some sites *offer* pre-made layouts, doesn't mean people only use pre-made layouts.

-Just because people use the same web-host, doesn't mean they're all poor businessmen.

Personally - ads or not, I'd prefer seeing a *real* website over just a cosplay.com account, or a "selling journal" (on livejournal or whatever), anyday.

LOL ^_^ Sorry for the rant, but geocities was my free host in my "learning stage", so we go way back.
dchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #96
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,710
Eh. I use freewebs for now, but I'm really considering registering my own domain. I just started getting into more serious commissions, so we'll see how that goes first. But I like freewebs, they don't have popups, or huge ads, and IMHO, my website looks clean and fair-quality.

And as far as the whole thing of 'perfection' goes, I too agree that nobody can ever make a 'perfect' commission. But you can get REALLY DAMN CLOSE if you put a lot of effort, hard work, and creativity into it. Like AnnAnime said, we're going on interpretation of a (most the time) fictional character. You have to use your imagination and good judgement when bringing it to life. And I think that's what seperated the good commissioners from the bad; their ability to be creative and make it as close to what the character WOULD be if it were real and breathing.

And deleriumx, I also have to agree with what you said. When you hire a commissioner to make you a garment, you are expecting them to at LEAST get the obvious details. And if you found a good commissioner, and comminucated to them exactly what you wanted, then expect the little details to be accurate, too. I've had people give me weird looks for practically molesting supplies in the stores, but I'm one of those detail freaks. I want everything to be as close to perfect as it can be.

So yeah. Now I lost my train of though, and my point, but there's my 1.5 cents.
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #97
AnnAnime
Registered User
 
AnnAnime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 160
Oh I am sooo sorry for sounding rude. That was the last thing I wanted to do.

I'm soo sorry that happened to you. I on the other hand try to make costumes as Detailed as possible and you are very right about the part that a huge part of the desing of the costume is essential and I'm soo sorry, I never meant to seem like I was going off on you.

The reason I posted about a costume never being perfect, is it made me think of this girl I met once at AWA9 and she said her costume had to be ABSOLUTLY PERFECT. There are after all some people out there like this and they expect it to be sooo perfect. I'm not saying you are one of these people, I'm just saying that for people who are like that.

Again I'm very sorry I seemed rude and I'm soo sorry it happened to you.

Some commissioners give the rest of us a bad name and Sometimes the bad ones will try to ruin the good ones.
__________________
Ann's Anime Costumes and More!( costume commissions and more)
AnnAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #98
yamibakura03
aka Ludger03
 
yamibakura03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinababo
So is limebarb.com a scam too sorta? I was about to order from there... T_T
from what i read so far and evidence of people i pretty much say she is.

there are people who say they make their costumes perfect and sometimes it isnt true but i belived the best way to make something perfect is to dedicated it much more time which many commisioners sometimes can't do of many orders.
i say if your paying someone lot of money for a good quality costume be sure that sometimes not all the time it will be perfect but i think thats why many go to limebarb thinking she does great costume.

sometimes i need a costume so i tell commisioners if they can make me one piece of a costume and i do the rest. i say my thank you and all when i see the piece done even if it isnt 100 perfect but i know they did their best and further spend there time making it.


to Rain Miko:im one that goes on the detail side but if i can't i will do my best on it ^^
__________________
2014 Cosplays: (Red for my Bro, Blue for Myself)
Next con: Oni-Con 2014
Future Cons:Anime Matsuri 2015
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #99
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair
 
supergeekgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,497
I'm not saying that ANY of you are wrong in being angry about these things, but I've gotten some of your complaints before from commissioners.

First, many of them have been struck with the aforementioned "Walmart Syndrome". I DO tell people that I can do a costume for $30-$40 if they want it (I just finished a $40 Tifa... sans wig), but I also explain to them that a costume that cheap is not entirely homemade. Often, it will be put together from thrift store items that I fit to their measurements. They know this, but still they like to complain that a piece didn't have pockets in the EXACT right place. Well, I do warn them before I do it that the costume will not be EXACT unless they want to pay extra for a completely homemade costume. I do the best I can.

I also had one former cosplay.com member complain because she got the costume the DAY OF THE CON. I had finished it two WEEKS before the con, sent her pictures, and requested final payment. She ignored my repeated emails until three days before the con and then told me that she had forgotten that she had to pay the rest. I received her payment via Paypal the next day and spent some of my own money for overnight shipping. After the convention, as is my practice, I requested pictures of her in the costume, and she sent me a rude email to tell me that I almost ruined her first con because I didn't get the costume to her on time. I never heard from her again.
__________________
Cons 2014 - Ahn!Con | Kawa Kon | Wizard World St. Louis | Costume-Con | Marcon | Cosplacon | Dragon*Con | Archon | Chicago TARDIS
In Progress- Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale | Jonathan Strange from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell | Madeline Westen from Burn Notice
Misha's Costumes in Progress- Mr Norrell from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 03:34 AM   #100
AnnAnime
Registered User
 
AnnAnime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 160
Awwwe that really sucks and I know Exactly how you feel. I have had a few customers like that too. Not many but a few.

They get what they pay for when paying $30-$40 or $50 for a costume. Materials can cost alot and I understand your method. I thought about doing the same thing too. I may still do it but then I may not.

I have also had a few customers to ignore me and send the last payment at the last minute then complain about when they get the costume.

Sometimes it can be downright hard on us commissioners. The same thing can go for cosplayers too, because the scammers give us a bad reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl
I'm not saying that ANY of you are wrong in being angry about these things, but I've gotten some of your complaints before from commissioners.

First, many of them have been struck with the aforementioned "Walmart Syndrome". I DO tell people that I can do a costume for $30-$40 if they want it (I just finished a $40 Tifa... sans wig), but I also explain to them that a costume that cheap is not entirely homemade. Often, it will be put together from thrift store items that I fit to their measurements. They know this, but still they like to complain that a piece didn't have pockets in the EXACT right place. Well, I do warn them before I do it that the costume will not be EXACT unless they want to pay extra for a completely homemade costume. I do the best I can.

I also had one former cosplay.com member complain because she got the costume the DAY OF THE CON. I had finished it two WEEKS before the con, sent her pictures, and requested final payment. She ignored my repeated emails until three days before the con and then told me that she had forgotten that she had to pay the rest. I received her payment via Paypal the next day and spent some of my own money for overnight shipping. After the convention, as is my practice, I requested pictures of her in the costume, and she sent me a rude email to tell me that I almost ruined her first con because I didn't get the costume to her on time. I never heard from her again.
__________________
Ann's Anime Costumes and More!( costume commissions and more)
AnnAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #101
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels
 
Tigress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumeko
Honestly at this point in my career I cannot afford paid hosting so I have to rely on free services like Freewebs etc.
Actually, paid hosting with a unique domain name isn't all that expensive nowadays. DotEasy.com hosts mine and my husband's for $18/year. We spend more than that on magazines.

Removes the Devil's Advocate hat.
__________________
Kat's Play

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #102
Mimette
Mistress Citrus
 
Mimette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 137
I gotta agree about the hosting thing. Whereas it used to be pricey, my host only costs $3 a month for their lowest package which includes a domain with it. I mean years ago, it was one thing because hosting was considerably more expensive then, but now it is dirt cheap.
Mimette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #103
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels
 
Tigress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnAnime
Well that's custom's fault. When shiping to and from other countries things get delayed and also get lost. I sent a package of a Ragnorok game and it was supposed to arrive to the person in only a few days but it was lost in the mail. So it's all custom's fault. Once she mails it off, it's out of her hands and if the customer doesn't pay for Insurence on the item then the person that sold it is not responsible, the mail is.

I'm sorry it took so long though.
Delivery confirmation and insurance is the way to go as far as USPS is concerned. Half the time, the package isn't really "lost" in the mail. They are outright stolen! The reason is because a post office clerk can open any package s/he wants if s/he "suspects" that it carries illegal or dangerous substances. Then, oops! They have to confiscate it for further investigation or it gets "lost" to hide the fact that s/he ripped open your package.

However, for some reason, insured packages don't get "lost" or "examined" in the mail.

I trust my local post office about as far as I can throw it, so I usually request UPS or FedEx when it's offered and have it delivered to my office. For international orders, DHL is pretty good.
__________________
Kat's Play

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #104
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.
 
xinababo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 275
Sending out commissions would be easy for me since my mom works at the post office front desk 8)
__________________
"We come all da way from that far country, China and we born you here in America just so you can get B+?!!!" XD!!!

KORE TE DESTINYYYY~?! -Nobuta wo Produce <3
xinababo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #105
yamibakura03
aka Ludger03
 
yamibakura03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl
I'm not saying that ANY of you are wrong in being angry about these things, but I've gotten some of your complaints before from commissioners.

First, many of them have been struck with the aforementioned "Walmart Syndrome". I DO tell people that I can do a costume for $30-$40 if they want it (I just finished a $40 Tifa... sans wig), but I also explain to them that a costume that cheap is not entirely homemade. Often, it will be put together from thrift store items that I fit to their measurements. They know this, but still they like to complain that a piece didn't have pockets in the EXACT right place. Well, I do warn them before I do it that the costume will not be EXACT unless they want to pay extra for a completely homemade costume. I do the best I can.

I also had one former cosplay.com member complain because she got the costume the DAY OF THE CON. I had finished it two WEEKS before the con, sent her pictures, and requested final payment. She ignored my repeated emails until three days before the con and then told me that she had forgotten that she had to pay the rest. I received her payment via Paypal the next day and spent some of my own money for overnight shipping. After the convention, as is my practice, I requested pictures of her in the costume, and she sent me a rude email to tell me that I almost ruined her first con because I didn't get the costume to her on time. I never heard from her again.

ouch thats painful. so sorry to hear that, that was one mean cookie

basically when this comes, its a partnership of the seller aand the buyer. if one fails the other does too making it problems. i only sell hats but thats it and even so sometimes people would want something more then what i can do.
but to the advise for buyers, please be patient, i know lot of people who can;t wait any longer and send countless email making the box full. if you have a good contact with the seller be sure its going good and will reply back. my friend did that to a commisioner once, i told her she should be patient becuase there humans not robots to do this fast.
and also send your money early, it can ruin the payment and date you want your costume done.
__________________
2014 Cosplays: (Red for my Bro, Blue for Myself)
Next con: Oni-Con 2014
Future Cons:Anime Matsuri 2015
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.