Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 156 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 08-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #1246
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Well... there are several possible answers to this question.

My first answer is that the majority of mass-produced costumes are not worth buying. Many of them are overpriced, inaccurate, and made of cheap materials that will disintegrate after a very short period of wear.

Example: The other day I saw a commercial Suzumiya Haruhi uniform for sale from an import shop. It was made of cheap lining fabric that was actually see-through (this is a white girls' uniform -- you can imagine what that would be like!), was totally shapeless, not accurate to the show, and it was selling for $65. You could honestly have made a better quality costume out of a white T-shirt and a blue bedsheet, and it would have cost sixty dollars less! I've also seen a lot of costumes (such as some D.Gray-Man uniforms) that are essentially a screen-printed nylon robe with a zipper in the front.

There are a few decent commercial costumes for sale out there, but the odds are against you. If you're going to spend that kind of money, you're probably better off commissioning a costume. It will be custom-made to your size and be better quality. However, if you have your heart set on buying a commercial costume, be sure to solicit opinions on stores and eBay sellers on the Spam Board *before* you order anything. See what other peoples' experiences have been with each merchant.

And, ultimately, there are a lot of costumes that you can make in your spare time simply by modifying street clothes! Don't give up on making your own costume just because you don't have 300 hours to spare on hand-sewing. I've put together a LOT of costumes by altering things from Goodwill and out of my closet. (Feel free to PM if you want suggestions.)

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #1247
Yamato_man3

Hmm if you feel like sending off a few shells, mooncostumes.com and cosplaymagic.com are kinda good :3
Yamato_man3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #1248
Usachan
cosplay dreams come true

I DO actually know of a good website you can go to look or buy costumes on

http://www.animetraders.com
Usachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #1249
kiralover45
call me kira...hehe^^

tanx for the help u guys >_<
kiralover45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 11:15 PM   #1250
Yamato_man3

Yup
Yamato_man3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #1251
gambit86
Yeah, I can fly.

Expensive stuff and a limited collection, but if you are really looking for the best of the best go to AbbyShot.

Just be ready drop a half a grand or more on what your wanting there. This stuff isnt meant for cosplay so much as actual, wearable clothing that can be used day in and day out for the rest of your life.

www.abbyshot.com
gambit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #1252
Hotaru230
has healthy scepticism

Usa-chan thanks for the info!
i have found some on livejournal, but i don't have the link to where.
also the AWA forum has a forum area of people selling their cosplay stuff.
Hotaru230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #1253
cy_bby

Hopefully I'm posting in there right place,

I know there was talk on here of costume commissioners you should not go to on Ebay, which was helpful, but now I have a question for anyone who is willing to help.

I've been looking for a Sailor Moon costume and there is one being sold on Ebay that I absolutely love.

The problem is more than 3 people are using the same photo of the same costume: SuperChinaSeller, Zhunf, Cosplayying, and anime_x.

Not all of the costumes are the same (ie: classic Sailor Moon, Super Sailor Moon), but they all are very similiar and look to be made from the same person. I saw all of these costumes on another ebay account that I can no longer find.

So could anyone direct me to which one of these people not to go to and which one of these people to actually go to?
cy_bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #1254
RainbowSheltie

GlowMagus - WARNING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeru View Post
Regarding the Blanndy post, I'm very glad that Leitha thought to give warning. I shall relate my story below.

At the end of May I returned from Acen, and began hanging around on cosplay.com again to post tutorials and read about everyone's experiences. It was at that time that I came across this thread, here, and read it from start to finish. It really entertained me, but was also informative, especially to me as I was thinking about going into the commissioning business.

To get an idea about what people were currently charging, I went into the spam forum and found this Roxas costume for sale. I wasn't so very interested in the costume, but the little note about the wig definitely caught my attention. It seemed to me that Blanndy was selling her Roxas wig, and at a very reasonable price(60$usd). Almost TOO reasonable, but I did a search on her name and found posts where she was saying how her wig was very itchy and uncomfortable, so it started to make more sense why she would be selling it. For a used wig, the price was more appropriate.

Having a friend of mine that wanted to cosplay as Roxas, I contacted her about it, and she was very nice. Asked me for my post-code to give me a shipping cost, and returned a price of 86$usd for shipping. That was fine with me. ^.^

At this point, things become strange. I asked her for her paypal address, and was told to send 73.99$ to nonbra@gmail.com . Well, that wasn't what we had agreed on...but I sent it, nonetheless, along with a note asking if they needed more for shipping.
I got a reply via e-mail that 73.99 was enough unless I wanted faster shipping, and asking me when I needed the wig by and that they would start to make the wig. This confused me...wasn't I supposed to be getting an already completed wig?
At the same time, I got a PM from Blanndy saying that she had to get the wig ready and that she'd ship it out next Tuesday. Strange, but...

I replied via e-mail that I needed the wig by August, so that I'd have plenty of time to fix any damage that might occur in transit. That was fine with them, and thus began the period of silence where I left well enough alone and waited for a wig.

That is when I noticed the post by Leitha, and started doing a little more snooping myself. She pointed out that the e-mail nonbra@gmail.com went to an ebay seller Nonbra. This was very strange to me, as Blanndy had mentioned that the only wigs she had made were the Roxas and Axel wigs in her bio. Leitha suggested that I was probably dealing with two different people, and I'm almost certain that she is right, as talking with Blanndy in PMs is vastly different than talking to Nonbra in e-mails. Not only that, but they had been asking the same questions to me ...when did I need the wig? I answered the same question twice.

Worried, I sent an email to Nonbra asking how the wig was coming and what address they had on file to send it to. They replied that the wig was being styled and they'd send me pictures within a week. No mention of an address.
I wasn't in any sort of panic at this point, however. My 45 day paypal window doesn't end until July 15th, so as long as she'd send me pictures soon, then I could request the wig ASAP and not lose out.

So I received a PM from Blanndy just a day or so ago. The wig is finished, and here is a picture!
Roxas wig!

I thought it looked good, and told her so, and asked when she would ship it. Tomorrow, she said. ^.^ I was much happier.

I thought to myself that the wig looked very similar in style to the way that Amy the Yu did her wig, and wondered if she had used the same tutorial, so I went back and checked it out.
Roxas wig tutorial

Please scroll down to the eighth post and take note...
the very same pictures that Amy took are the pictures that Blanndy sent me. My 'supposedly finished wig' was in someone else's tutorial.

This has me very worried, indeed, so I would like to join Leitha in her warning against commissioning from Blanndy, at least until my experience has been resolved. I plan on continuing to post, as I suspect that Nonbra does, in fact, make fairly nice wigs, and I may yet receive one from them. But as of right now I do not know WHAT to expect, and that is no position for a consumer to be in.

Should everything work out fine, I will make apologies as is appropriate and edit this post, but for now....be careful.
Okay, so, wow I was shopping on ebay for a Roxas wig, when I happened upon an ebayer selling this wig. The seller is glowmagus who happens to have '0 feedback'.

Suspious of the auction, I decided it wouldn't hurt to ask for more pictures. No problem, she said to email me. I figured, why not? If she sends some, she sends some. Well, I recently received an email back from her and what do I find? Pictures from that SAME tutorial.

glowmagus (in email): We have only the wig we have made now since the other wig was sold. It is darker color then the other wig, if this does not displease you, when have 2 of these available.
Pictures:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ig-Roxas23.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...g-Roxas2-1.jpg

So, I would NOT suggest buying from this seller. >> It seems it might be the same person who tried before. I really do hope that bidder gets their wig, though.

Last edited by RainbowSheltie : 08-28-2007 at 12:04 AM.
RainbowSheltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #1255
pockyraider

I wish I would have read this thread sooner. Blandy scammed me out of 150.oo USD, and I have 20 days before the convention, and short two wigs. Since it fell outside of the paypal window and my bank window, neither said that they could help me. I didn't read this full thread, just the last two pages so if anyone has a suggestion.....
pockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #1256
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Pft...if you're gonna steal a picture, steal a better one. Disgusting pigsty dorm room photos doesn't reflect well on dumb 0 feedback scammers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kingdom-Hearts-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Or for those who don't like eBay/would prefer a screencap:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cammereBay.jpg

RainbowSheltie: 0 feedback sellers are ass. Hong Kong sellers are largely ass too (they always end up breaking some kind of giant eBay rule). I don't know if I want to try reporting to eBay or just send them fun-to-write threatening emails. Maybe I can use my lawyer cousin in Hong Kong to make a fun law suit threat for shits and giggles. XD

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...

Last edited by Amy the Yu : 08-28-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #1257
Utai Mitsumo
Light to the Dark :: Krad

I'll second not going to glowmagus.

They put up a chakram auction using a stolen image (my image), and practically claiming that they were theirs (they've all ready been sold by the maker).

STAY AWAY!!

Anime Weekend Atlanta '12:
Seth Nightlord (Trinity Blood), Elevator Guy (Gangnam Style)

Last edited by Utai Mitsumo : 08-29-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Utai Mitsumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #1258
dolphintattoos

this is something that ticks me off to no end....long story short...saw a costume that a friends boss bought for her in japan..factory made...she didnt know what character it was so i did some investigating to help her out ...and came across these 2 ebayers..Wei-linden, and gentlemax_new...both of which are advertising that the costume is "custom made to your measurements"...people like this irk me ...i make custom made costumes to your measurements and people like these 2 give the rest of us who actualy DO custom work a bad name ...now after seeing the garment close up they are well made, i give them that...but they need to advertise them as such ..well made factory garments in small medium and large ... i included a link to one of them http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Rozen-Mai...em200145265532
dolphintattoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #1259
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Amy, have you considered going back and watermarking those pictures? It won't deter the most dedicated image thieves, but at least it will make them work for it. :P

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #1260
GreyCat
Always in the background

People really suck for doing that!

It makes me almost scared to ever ask anything of anyone.

I hate bringing up payment in transactions and now all these jerks are foing to make me not like it even more.

T_T

I need to really watermark my things that I will be making now.

Getting my fursona created for me, and unsure of any cosplays I will be creating.

I make furry mascot costumes. Please email me at Gettinfluzzy.com and check out Gettinfluzzy.webs.com for more pictures and info!
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote