Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-11-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
smtemp

Bubblegum Crisis Hardsuit

I shall be tackling the Bubblgum Crisis Hardsuit. I'll be doing Priss's model. hopefully I'll have it done by Detour, and for sure by Acen!

Here's the character: *fixed the link*
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...mp/bgc2013.jpg

I already have the 8" high heels, and a pattern for the bottom part of the leg figured out ^_^ I'm happy with what I have so far, it's not going to be absolutely perfect, but still it'll be close.

I'm using sheets of foam *plastic too expensive >.< and I'm not skilled enough to work with cardboard*

I'll get pictures up when there's something to show

Last edited by smtemp : 01-11-2006 at 09:49 AM.
smtemp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2006, 03:17 AM   #2
Leishu

Your character image link doesn't work...

That being said, if you get that costume to work I will be your new biggest fan. :3
Leishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
Reiko
Agent S

Peronally. I dont think you should have posted this on here with out an image of your costume. maybe if you need help post it in the Anime help or something.
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
bag0k
Sailor srs &gt;:|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiko
Peronally. I dont think you should have posted this on here with out an image of your costume. maybe if you need help post it in the Anime help or something.
Yes, agreed. :/ This forum is for people to post in-progress or completed props for comments and critiques, not to announce what you're doing. Like Reiko said, if you need any help, look in the anime costume forum or maybe try the props and accessories forum for some great armormaking links.
Unread 01-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Natty Dread
Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishu
Your character image link doesn't work...

That being said, if you get that costume to work I will be your new biggest fan. :3
i second this. but there is no costume yet to critiqueeeeeeeeee.............
Natty Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Annie-Mei

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtemp
I already have the 8" high heels, and a pattern for the bottom part of the leg figured out ^_^ I'm happy with what I have so far, it's not going to be

Hi, would you like to share you pattern that you did or describe how you approached it?

Im already done with my helmet and torso armor, and now im hitting u pthe "legs" and "heel" parts of the costume (mines is out of fiberglass), and Im trying to figure out how to approach the funky "heel" part of the costume.
Annie-Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
PiroPiroko
Banned

Quote:
The Costume Critique forum is for the critiqueing of finished costumes; posting a thread here before you have something done could be considered bad form.
PiroPiroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
smtemp

go ahead and delete this thread then. I just need one person to tell me I did something wrong too. You guys are being kind of mean about it, it's a simple mistake.
Unread 01-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #9
smtemp

*edited the links hopefully they work now*

I checked again and it does say for in progress costumes. So here's what I have so far. Sorry if we all got off on a bad foot.

Here's what I have so far,
*sorry the picture is bad, I took it in a mirror >.<*
http://photobucket.com/albums/b53/sm...ubblegum01.jpg

I wish I knew how to use fiberglass and had the facilities for it but I'm in my dinky apartment... so I decided to use foam and hotglue. Originally I was going to melt the foam to form the round part of the front of the boot, but that wasn't working as well as I had hoped so after much trial and error I decided to just cut the pieces from a side view and glue them together. It's not perfectly right but it's good enough for my current skill level I'm happy how it looks though.

But what I figured is that the shoe part has to be separate from the rest of the lower leg section. Then of course at the knee they're not connected, then the thigh is seperate from the round thing on the hip.

I'd love to hear about how yours is coming along ^_^

here's the 8" high heels I'm using as well.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b53/sm...ubblegum02.jpg

I'm going to paint it all when I'm finished. I'll paint the crack details on and so on when I"m done since I couldn't cut the pieces accurately.

Last edited by smtemp : 01-21-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 01-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
bag0k
Sailor srs &gt;:|

Aack! Your links don't work! >_< Maybe you could upload them into your cosplay.com photo gallery. You're more than allowed to upload in-progress photos in there and there's less of a chance of it exploding when you link to it. ^_^;;

Sorry about the nasty comments... people can be brutal 'round here sometimes. :/
Unread 01-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
Annie-Mei

Your links didn't work and a search at photobucket turned up nothing under "bubblegum".

I found some reference pictures that I was planning on using, from the AnimEigo hardsuit auctions they had about 3 or 4 years ago. They show the leg armor for their hardsuits, so I was studying them.

Picture of Nene's Leg armor
http://www.animeigo.com/ebay/hardsuits/lg/DSC00131.jpg
http://www.animeigo.com/ebay/hardsuits/lg/DSC00130.jpg
http://www.animeigo.com/ebay/hardsuits/lg/DSC00137.jpg

Picture of Linna's:
http://www.animeigo.com/ebay/hardsuits/lg/DSC00144.jpg

How they have it "cut" the way it is in these pics, is the way I was going to approach making the leg armor. Though, Im going to do a full leg cast so that I have something to mold my sculpt on.

And dont take the responses of the others to heart. I saw nothing wrong in your original posting, which is why it prompted me to ask. In progress works are allowed here, so I dont know why they had their panties in a bunch over your post.

Anyway, yeah, if you could upload your images to cosplay instead, that would be great. My digital camera is on the blitz right now, so i can't take picutres of what I have done (helmet and torso), but they are not painted, so they are just bland looking brownish pieces of fiberglass. Im on to sanding them and getting them ready for painting, since Im taking the pieces over to auto body paint shop (actually motorcycle painting), since I know a few guys who do that for a living.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Once I get my damn camera working, I'll post pics as well (in another thread).

EDit

The correct urls to those images:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...ubblegum01.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...ubblegum02.jpg

Last edited by Annie-Mei : 01-21-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Unread 01-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #12
smtemp

I fixed the links above too ^_^ I don't know why they didn't work before... maybe I was in a hurry.

Thanks for sharing those other links they're awesome! >,< now I feel poopy about how mine is going.. but I don't know how to work with fiberglass. I was thinking after I graduated from college I'd be an apprentice for someone some time.

I' have so many projects at the moment this one is going slow. But for what I can do I was happy with it..

^_^ I'm sure yours will be awesome. My way is also probably a cheaper route...

How long have you been working with Fiberglass?
Unread 01-21-2006, 10:26 PM   #13
Annie-Mei

Quote:
I fixed the links above too ^_^ I don't know why they didn't work before... maybe I was in a hurry.

Thanks for sharing those other links they're awesome! >,< now I feel poopy about how mine is going.. but I don't know how to work with fiberglass. I was thinking after I graduated from college I'd be an apprentice for someone some time.

Actually, it isn't as hard as it sounds. And someone here just posted an excellent tutorial if you ever want to give it a try.

If you're scared, dont be too amitious, start with something small. Say making a box or something. Really. That's how I was too and once I tried it, I basically thought, what the hell was i thinking that this is hard to do?

http://www.digitalemerald.com/cosplay_armor_index.html

is the tutorial. Give it a look over. He explains it really well and provides pics along the way.

AGain, start small. Small projects will help you learn the skill that you can apply to bigger projects later.

I actually made a replica of a kunai knife out of fiberglass from a real metal one (not Naruto type). Just made a casting of the knife, and pretty much did what it was stated in the tutorial. And it wasn't difficult, and of course fast to do.

Quote:
How long have you been working with Fiberglass?
would you believe only for four months. My first being the replica kunai knife (non-naruto type). Look around your house for a sturdy object, but big enough to replicate. then make a cast of it, and follow through the tutorial above. Make a box. Easiest thing you can replicate.
Unread 01-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #14
Angel Tifa
Survivor of Horror 4-ever

Quote:
I shall be tackling the Bubblgum Crisis Hardsuit. I'll be doing Priss's model. hopefully I'll have it done by Detour, and for sure by Acen!

Here's the character: *fixed the link*
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...mp/bgc2013.jpg

I already have the 8" high heels, and a pattern for the bottom part of the leg figured out ^_^ I'm happy with what I have so far, it's not going to be absolutely perfect, but still it'll be close.

I'm using sheets of foam *plastic too expensive >.< and I'm not skilled enough to work with cardboard*

If you want a critique on the material, plastic is better because that's what the hardsuits are made out of. But if you're trying to improvise due to the price, foam might work, but it should be bought by the yard if they do sell it that is, but I'm unsure.

~Tifa

2008 Cosplay list:
Ada Wong/Resident Evil 2 Completed
Heather Mason/Silent Hill 3 Completed

I claim -Tifa Lockhart/Final Fantasy VII- at the claiming thread
Angel Tifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #15
smtemp

Tifa, yeah I'm doing it with foam. I'm not talented enough to work with plastic yet. I was going to work with wonderflex before, but gave up. Foam was cheaper ^_^ Maybe next time I'll tackle something with fiberglass or plastic.