Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Umi
Bass-inating

Applying theater make-up: foundations and powders

I'm doing a costume in which I'd like to make my skin appear a little darker to fit the character. I know some people have used theater makeup to successfully (and pretty naturally) make their skin look darker for cosplays.

What is the best way to apply splotch-free theater makeup? I have no experience with this type of make up so I'm looking for comparisons to regular foundations and powders and how to the best technique to use to change the appearance of skin tone. Thanks!

Unread 01-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
TristenCitrine
The ORANGE Life

Kryolan Aquacolor works very well and I've used it to darken my skin. You apply it with dampened makeup sponges and use kind of a patting motion on your face and/or body. I guess the closest thing to this type is Max Factor's Pan-Cake, but it doesn't go on nearly as evenly as the Aquacolor.

You set it with fixing spray, but you can use powder over it as well.

Hope that helps a little
TristenCitrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
metamagenta
Pin Up Queen

And if you can't find fixing spray, you can always use hair spray to fix your makeup. Not that this is that great on your pores, but oh well.
Unread 01-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Fallen_Jenova
Just Another Abused Uke

I use Ben-Nye.... but I'm not so sure where you can get it... I've got a catalogue from my drama teacher and ordered through them.

Persacon 2008:
Before Crisis and In Game Rufus Shinra~ Final Fantasy VII
Mello~ Death Note
Seras (yellow)~ Hellsing
Alexia Ashford~ Resident Evil Code Veronica
Reno~ Final Fantasy VII

Fallen_Jenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
f4lL3N_aZn
n1/\/j4

you can usually buy Ben-Nye at any costuming-type store, or just search the web. this site has pretty much all the Ben-Nye products you'll need, and you can just well, order them. Apply your foundation with a standard sponge wedge. (the sponges are the second ones down on this page.)
Make sure that you blend your make-up well though, like down your neck or w/e, as you don't want the multi-tone skin look...or at least i'm assuming u don't
as for powdering, if you don't wanna buy a powder from that site or sumthin, u can just use translucent powder/baby powder. Just apply the powder with a the same type of brush you would use for the application of blush.
~Kai

~Headband 0%
~Face cover 0%
~Arm covers (camoflage) 0%
~Leg covers (camoflage) 0%
~Pants w/ strap 0%
~Sword 0%
f4lL3N_aZn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
Umi
Bass-inating

I have fixing spray that I've used for body makeup before, but didn't think it was so safe to point at my face. Although I'm guessing you all have done it without any negative side effects, right? =D
Unread 01-15-2006, 12:17 AM   #7
f4lL3N_aZn
n1/\/j4

i've actually never used the fixing spray as i have plenty of translucent powder on hand being in theatre. if the others have used it and still have their skin, then save money and just use that, of course just be careful, we wouldn't want you to melt yur face off or sumthin.

~Headband 0%
~Face cover 0%
~Arm covers (camoflage) 0%
~Leg covers (camoflage) 0%
~Pants w/ strap 0%
~Sword 0%
f4lL3N_aZn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
TristenCitrine
The ORANGE Life

The fixing spray has some alcohol in it, so you definitely don't want to get it in your eyes. It tends to work best of you point the spray about a foot from your face, lightly close your eyes and give a couple spritzes. Give it a couple seconds to dry then open your eyes. The stuff really makes a difference with wear, too.
TristenCitrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 01:39 AM   #9
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristenCitrine
The fixing spray has some alcohol in it, so you definitely don't want to get it in your eyes. It tends to work best of you point the spray about a foot from your face, lightly close your eyes and give a couple spritzes. Give it a couple seconds to dry then open your eyes. The stuff really makes a difference with wear, too.
Yeah, definitely don't spray too close to your face. I made the mistake of being overzealous with the fixing spray when doing the makeup for my Frostfaerie costume and ended up having to redo a lot of it as the spray made my eyes water something fierce, leaving big tear streaks down my cheeks. :P

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
Kaori-chan
Villainy at its Finest

Starblend also makes REALLY good theatrical makeup. I use their stuff all the time. Because it's both a creme (applied wet) and a powder (applied dry or allowed to air dry), it pretty much needs no setting, and it looks really nice.
Kaori-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
metamagenta
Pin Up Queen

Another good trick with fixative is to fan your face with something after you've sprayed it a few times. I always have a fan on had so that right after I've sprayed, and with my eyes still closed, I can grab the fan and go crazy with it in front of my face. This relieves any of the "burn" from the alcohol in the spray as well as forcing any floating mist from the spray to fly back onto your face.