Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
Unread 03-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #151
Guardian_Lulu
Suka

well revived it *does cpr on the thread*
Guardian_Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #152
Chellian
I only speak Chellenese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livvylove
So any of you guys get the "what are you?" question. I swear that makes my eyes twitch whenever a gringo says it.
I get that all of the time! These days, it's usually, 'Are you Indian (not Native American)?' or 'Are you Italian?' When I was in college in SW Louisiana, people would ask me 'Are you black or white?' on a daily basis!

I am Mexican American, but there is some Spaniard and Irish on my mom's side as well. Most people have to ask me my heritage and it used to really offend me, but now I guess I have gotten desensitized to it, so I usually just give people a bored look.

My brother and I like to cosplay (well, he is just getting into it, AKon will be his first con to cosplay at!). I am making all of our costumes, but so far we have planned: Talim from SC3 and Kuroki Mio from PGSM Special Act for me, and Legato Bluesummer from Trigun and a secret cosplay for him.
Unread 03-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #153
makotohanabi
Chuu?

What you do when someone asks "what are you?" is ask them an equally personal question. my favorite is "how much do you weigh?" Oddly enough few people want to answer that question.
Unread 03-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #154
Roronoa_Zoro
The Terrible-Looking One

I am half American and half Puerto Rican. I really don't care if people ask me what I am. For the most part they don't anyway because I look American (white). But if someone does ask, I take pride in the fact that they're interested in knowing something about me.

Future Cosplays
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The Riddler (Batman)
Roronoa_Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #155
Guardian_Lulu
Suka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellian
I get that all of the time! These days, it's usually, 'Are you Indian (not Native American)?' or 'Are you Italian?' When I was in college in SW Louisiana, people would ask me 'Are you black or white?' on a daily basis!
talking bout hindu ppl there's this puertorrican guy in my tech. shop and he looks from that area of the world. its funny he keeps saying he's osama bin laden's cousin which is very funny cause he does look like him
Unread 03-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #156
funeralfor_you
[Cherry Darling]

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...uff/mcan25.jpg
apparently i don't look Mexican ^-^
people are usually very surprised when i tell them that i am Mexican. they either think that i'm mixed(but i'm not)or that i'm lying. their mouths drop and they're like "oh! i thought you were white!" but i'm not. i'm 100% Mexican
ever since i can remember people aren't sure what i am. i've been asked if i was american(white), british, canadian, japanese, korean, chinese, hawaiian, colombian, swedish, and roman.
the one that makes me laugh is the japanese one. i don't look japanese at all ^-^

Last edited by funeralfor_you : 03-16-2006 at 03:40 PM.
funeralfor_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #157
funeralfor_you
[Cherry Darling]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tea
i dunno, it bothers me a lot. like when people complain about having to learn "mexican" for a language. it's called spanish darn it!
for some reason it bothers me when people ask me if i'm spanish.
get it right!
spanish=spain
mexican=mexico

it's not that hard to understand!
funeralfor_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #158
hibekisensai
Habitual User

Many of the same issues with race being discussed are so similar to issues in the asian cosplayers thread...many people don't even get to the point of "mistaking" asian folk, they just figure we all look the same, so we gotta be chinese or something...

speaking of people mistaking you, i have even been mistaken before for being mexican...which the person who thought that, must have been on lsd or something, cause...well, just look at my avatar!!?! i'm korean mix and am semi-fluent in spanish, but to think i look the part, well that's a stretch!!

It seems whether you're black, hispanic, or asian, etc. we all share many similar experiences in life and in cosplay based on race (not personality or character, which has absolutely nothing to do with race!!!), with regards to cosplay in particular- cosplaying "light skinned" characters even though we have darker skin.....although i have a theory i can't prove, but i think asian folk are sometimes accepted a little more cause a lot of asians don't have really dark skin..? even in cosplay, peple will make comments to a black person like, "oh, it's nice to see a black rikku!", but an asian female cosplaying the same, nobody would comment at all..?..I'm thinking i should have started a "minority cosplayers" thread, and that would have been a lot better, and maybe create more unity even amongst us minorities!!

I posted in the black cosplayers thread one time commenting on something interesting one member posted, and i was completely ignored....i was a bit taken back so hopefully i don't get ignored or flamed for posting since i'm not hispanic.. Much love and respect- Happy St. Patty's Day!
Unread 03-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #159
Angel Chica
Smoothie Empress

I'm Cuban-American...I was born in Fl but My mom was born in Cuba and my Dad was born in Fl too, but his parents were born in Cuba.......People don't normally think that Im hispanic and don't really ask and then when I tell them they're like "Oh...You DO look spanish...I can tell because of your dark hair." The worst thing though is when everyone mispronounces my last name....even after I've corrected them like a million times.
Angel Chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #160
Roronoa_Zoro
The Terrible-Looking One

Angel Chica - What part of Florida? I'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale. Born and raised there. My dad is from Guyama, Puerto Rico and we've got tons of Cuban friends. I love me some Cubanos! Huzzah for the Caribbean!

Future Cosplays
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The Riddler (Batman)
Roronoa_Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #161
Chellian
I only speak Chellenese!

hibekisensai wrote:
"even in cosplay, peple will make comments to a black person like, "oh, it's nice to see a black rikku!", but an asian female cosplaying the same, nobody would comment at all..?.."

I have heard comments like that before. People of all races will play the same character, yet it will be one particular race that will be commented on because it doesn't seem as "normal" as the others. Sad that even when you have a great costume, some people can still only focus the race of the person cosplaying.

"speaking of people mistaking you, i have even been mistaken before for being mexican"

That is funny! I have a cousin that people are always asking if she is Asian, and she will start speaking Spanish and it throws them off!
Unread 03-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #162
Bunnie-Fu
~*Pretty Pink Cosplayer*~

OMG 'bout time I found this thread. Hola! Well I'm 100% puerto rican livin in Florida....but I get mistaken for a gringa ALL the time...it gets annoying some time....if I'm not white then I'm cuban or columbian. Lol I dont mind but its a bit weird o__0 because when I say I'm boriqua people stare like they don't belive me. ah oh wells.

Nice to see that there's Boriqua's and Hispanic cosplayers all around!
Unread 03-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #163
Guardian_Lulu
Suka

roro you mean guayama? XD
Unread 03-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #164
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

I know my next character will be an Arab princess. Heck whenever I go to the Airport I get treated like an Arab(bad joke) My dad even jokes about looking like Bin laudin when he forgets to shave after awhile.

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Deviant ArtTwitterLivejournalMyspaceTumblr
livvylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #165
Roronoa_Zoro
The Terrible-Looking One

Quote: