Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
Unread 03-20-2006, 07:40 PM   #166
Chellian
I only speak Chellenese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livvylove
I know my next character will be an Arab princess. Heck whenever I go to the Airport I get treated like an Arab(bad joke) My dad even jokes about looking like Bin laudin when he forgets to shave after awhile.
Yeah, one of my friends told me I needed to cosplay Princess Jasmine! But, I will be cosplaying Talim from SCIII and she is Phillipino, which sometimes gets confused for hispanic sometimes!

Unread 03-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #167
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibekisensai
Many of the same issues with race being discussed are so similar to issues in the asian cosplayers thread...many people don't even get to the point of "mistaking" asian folk, they just figure we all look the same, so we gotta be chinese or something...

speaking of people mistaking you, i have even been mistaken before for being mexican...which the person who thought that, must have been on lsd or something, cause...well, just look at my avatar!!?! i'm korean mix and am semi-fluent in spanish, but to think i look the part, well that's a stretch!!

It seems whether you're black, hispanic, or asian, etc. we all share many similar experiences in life and in cosplay based on race (not personality or character, which has absolutely nothing to do with race!!!), with regards to cosplay in particular- cosplaying "light skinned" characters even though we have darker skin.....although i have a theory i can't prove, but i think asian folk are sometimes accepted a little more cause a lot of asians don't have really dark skin..? even in cosplay, peple will make comments to a black person like, "oh, it's nice to see a black rikku!", but an asian female cosplaying the same, nobody would comment at all..?..I'm thinking i should have started a "minority cosplayers" thread, and that would have been a lot better, and maybe create more unity even amongst us minorities!!

I posted in the black cosplayers thread one time commenting on something interesting one member posted, and i was completely ignored....i was a bit taken back so hopefully i don't get ignored or flamed for posting since i'm not hispanic.. Much love and respect- Happy St. Patty's Day!
I think not many people comment on an Asian cosplayer since most Anime characters are Japanese. I've never had anyone say to me "it's nice to see a Hispanic/South Asian/Native American [cosplay]", but then again no one ever said I make a better BC since I'm dark.

livvylove: my sister is light skinned and everytime she flies she gets pulled aside for "random secondary screening". I wear my hair in braids and airline security think I'm Chotaw. Went to the National Gallery in Washington DC yesterday and took the Metro [DC subway] there half the tourists kept their distance and the others said said "good afternoon".
Unread 03-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #168
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

When I cosplayed chii I actually had some people tell me I pulled her off than the white people at the con. That made me happy.

I always thought Talim was mexican because of the colors she wears(never played the game just looked at the pictures) I actually have her on my wish list too. My cousins are actually 1/2 puerto ricans and 1/2 philipino I think it's a pretty mix. I want to get my cousin Arlene to cosplay but I don't know how her mother would react to it.

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Deviant ArtTwitterLivejournalMyspaceTumblr
livvylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #169
Guardian_Lulu
Suka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roronoa_Zoro
Yes, sorry. Misspelling.
its k it just sounded kinda funny misspelled XD
Guardian_Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #170
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

live thread live

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Unread 03-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #171
Guardian_Lulu
Suka

XD *does cpr on the thread*
Unread 03-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #172
hizumism
D'espairsRay Mania

Uhhh... I'm Mexican-American. XD

I struggle to somehow, someway, make myself a tiny bit paler for some j-rock cosplays I try to pull off.

AWA XII - Cage Toshiya
hizumism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #173
yamibakura03
aka Ludger03

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizumism

I struggle to somehow, someway, make myself a tiny bit paler for some j-rock cosplays I try to pull off.

thats were ya get the white make-up or like pale powder foundation.
its tough to get it into a white skin type, i need to make my skin pale and im asian looking color.
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #174
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizumism

Just find the palest foundation and powder you can find and the flash does the rest. Can't use white make up since it turns my skin bluish. Ask in the j-rock forums they probably know more there.

here's EBK's pic of me as Beast of Blood Mana at Katsucon 05
http://www.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo282976

hope it helps
Unread 03-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #175
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

I think the people that run the cosworks area love ignoring my questions on how the paler makeup looks on people with actual color in their skin. Because the one thing I don't want to do is spend a whole bunch of money to try out different colors to see if it works. I asked if they offered trial sizes so people can test the colors on their skin but no word. I actually got skipped in the makeup forum again.

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Unread 03-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #176
Miss Tea
kiss them for me

gaah. i know what you mean about the makeup. for a majority of my costumes this year, ive picked rather pale characters -_-;;; i mean, im not the anal type when it comes to details like this, my face is a bit darker than the rest of my body (ie my back - until summer hits of course XD) so it would be nice to have a matching color all over.

i just freak out about my eyebrows though. while i think i look decent with a blonde wig and my dark eyebrows, i still cant help but think the costume will look better if i had lighter eyebrows ^^; i need to buy some of the hair color wands and test it out soon.

im positive that after this batch of costumes, im going to start more of an advantage of my naturally tan skin and pick some of those wonderful darker colored characters. ^___^ i try not to let skin color be a heavy deciding factor in my decision for costumes, but you have to admit that its nice to be able to fit a character so well. like mentioned before, its a touchy subject and everyone has a different take on it.
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #177
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

Yea I don't match all over eaither, in the winter my tans fade a bit so you can't tell as well but my arms are a lot darker then say my stomach. The only problem with the cosworx makeup is that I have only seen it being used on super pale people. I haven't seen it being used on someone darker or to see if it could turn them pale and give it a natural look. Most makeups look horrible if you go too light.

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Unread 03-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #178
Guardian_Lulu
Suka

im lucky im pale as hell just dun go to the beach alot avoid the sun as much as u can and ull b pale as an irish person like me! ^-^'
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #179
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

everyone's been lumberjacked

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Unread 04-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #180
makotohanabi
Chuu?

livvylove: would be nice if the cosworks people could answer your questions, if they don't know they should say so. Nothing wrong with that. I'm going to a theater supply store in the District and ask them about lighter color make up on dark skin. The place is highly recommended by many of my theater friends, but I won't be able to go there before the 15th. I'll post anything I learn here.