Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Ononoke
BAM Style

Wearing thigh-high stockings

Okay, so I've been having this issue lately with my Seras Victoria cosplay. I bought a pair of black thigh-high stockings, but whenever I walk around in them, they roll down, ontop of that, I have large thighs. I've heard from a few people that tape would hold them up, but does anyone know any simpler techniques to keep them from going down?

Thanks!

Unread 01-24-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Temperance
Elves are Jerks

well most thigh high stockings require a garter belt to stay up. The elastic on them will not sustain the stockings, especially when you are walking around. If that isn't an option, double sided tape is really the best alternative... but it will be stick and probably ruint he stockings..
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/temperance/ - Furaffinity
Temperance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

a washable glue stick, one of those white ones, not the purple or blue or whatever, should be perfect. i ahve used it many many times, it washes out, and does not get very uncomforatable. (you may have to reglue them about halfway throught e day because it might twist a little and pinch a bit, but other than that, they should be fine)

hope that helps. ^-^
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:59 PM   #4
PiroPiroko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance
well most thigh high stockings require a garter belt to stay up.
I'm gonna echo that one. That is how they were designed to be used, back when stockings were invented...

Last edited by PiroPiroko : 01-25-2006 at 12:24 AM.
PiroPiroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance
well most thigh high stockings require a garter belt to stay up. The elastic on them will not sustain the stockings, especially when you are walking around. If that isn't an option, double sided tape is really the best alternative... but it will be stick and probably ruint he stockings..
Most modern thigh his will stay up on their own, and do not require a garter belt. The ones that do have absolutely no elastic at the tops, and appear to have just been... cut off.

I would use double stick tape myself. I've used it on stockings before and it works fabulous :3. Doesn't ruin them, either.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 02:13 AM   #6
Temperance
Elves are Jerks

I don't know, all of my thigh high stockings, even with elastic, fall down after I walk 3 steps if I'm not wearing a garter belt.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/temperance/ - Furaffinity
Temperance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 02:38 AM   #7
akira_chan

http://www.jbox.com/PRODUCT/DAI545

You can always try to get some sock glue. I've never used it myself, but they say they use them for keeping those huge loose socks up so I would think it would be able to defeat the stockings from falling down
akira_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 03:05 AM   #8
Tess
Cupcake Rufflebutt

Personally, I find that thigh-his stay up better when I wear pantyhose underneath them. I think the pantyhose may give the elastic in the thigh-his something rough to grip onto, rather than smooth skin. ^__^; Or maybe it only works for me. *shrug*

@-->--- Tess

deviantartacpfacebook
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
Hana`

If your thigh-highs don't have strips of plastic-y stuff on the inside of the top cuff, you need a garter belt. The plastic-y stuff is the modern wonder that removes the need for a garter belt. It'll stick to your skin (less like glue and more like...when your skin sticks to a hot vinyl car seat) and keep the stockings from falling down.

Beware, though, that these types of thigh-highs will not last forever, and should not, by any means, be put in a dryer or washed with hot water.
Unread 01-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #10
Lady_Sodina
Lady Sodina

Now this will probably sound like a stupid question, but where can you get a garter belt anyways? Would any kind of department store have them or what?
Lady_Sodina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #11
Aideen
Meow ^-^

I have the same problem, even with the little plastic on the top of the thigh-highs they keep falling down. I'll try the different method listed here.
Aideen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #12
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

I've encountered this problem too. Because of thies rubbing together as you walk, and just the overall movement of the thigh as your leg moves, unfortunatly stockings may fall every once and a while as you are walking.
It bites.
If you can get away with a Garter, I'd do so.
I bought my garter at La Senza, and it worked great! Plus its really sexy!
Though, i have to say, although you CAN put thigh high stockings (that "dont need a garter") in a garter, it is a bit more tricky because of the rubber (that's supposed to keep ur stocking up on it's own ) I find it's easier to put stockings that are MENT to be put into a garter, into a garter.

good luck!
Unread 01-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
bunnybeth
mama bunny

When I wear thick cotton OTK's I find that regular double sided tape isn't enough. I've used liquid latex, which holds them up great, but it ruins the socks. What I've found to be a great method is strips of toupee tape. It's pretty sticky, but still comes off without too much effort.

If you want garters, I've seen them at Sock Dreams.

[CONversations] A webcomic about the CON experience
[Sew Bunny Cosplay] [BadCat Studios]
bunnybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #14
Ononoke
BAM Style

Alright thanks everyone! All of your replies have been a huge help for me as well as others ^^ But I've thought up a few other issues.. First off, I don't intend to wear garders, since it wouldnt be accurate to the costume. Also, I'm abit unsure about the tape and glue methods, since I WILL be wearing nylons/pantyhose underneath. But I haven't worn the elastic stockings with the pantyhose yet. Can the tape or glue methods still apply?
Unread 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #15
heki-chan
SMA-Cosplay
Board Moderator

It's possible your thigh highs may be too small.

If you got the Leg Avenue ones, the ones without the bows at the top run smaller and tend to slip down more. The ones with bows at the top (which can be easily cut off) are highly quality and won't slip down.

I was retarded at Ohayocon and lost one of each so I had one of each type on and seriously, the non-bow one kept slipping but the bow-one stayed in place all day

I have no idea why there is such a huge difference, but there is. o_o
heki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote