Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
milkcosplay

Realistic take on a character vs looking as anime as possible?

i have this dilemma a lot with myself when i'm doing makeup for a cosplay and i was wondering if this is a pretty common thing that you guys face too!! this doesn't necessarily have to be for makeup, too, i sometimes have this problem when it comes to wigs and certain parts of an outfit as well

are you guys ever conflicted about whether or not you want to try to look as anime as possible and be as close to the character or if you want to go a more 'natural' route and kind of make a 'if this character was a real person, this is what they would look like' thing? which one do you often end up choosing? this also goes for color choices, too! sometimes a bright obnoxious yellow in a cosplay could be better suited for a better looking gold, but at the same time, that also takes away from the level of accuracy, too.

i have this issue a lot of times with younger characters, too--do i wear hardly any makeup to look young or do i go all out and moe it up with big false eyelashes, even if a character this age would never wear this much ? sometimes for a lot of emotionally distressed characters i won't cover up my dark circles entirely so that i look a little more sad and like i've had a few long nights being, you know, emotionally distressed, but then that also takes away from the flawless skin anime look where you want to look like you're literally just stepped out of the show, too.

it's a hard life man. this is what we face as cosplayers. hard decisions and hot glue burns

nanami kiryuu - revolutionary girl utena
utena tenjou - revolutionary girl utena
prisoner nitori aiichirou - free! eternal summer ending theme
super chibi moon - sailor moon
sailor galaxia - sailor moon
plugsuit rei ayanami - neon genesis evangelion
jolyne kujo - jojo's bizarre adventure
punpun onodera - oyasumi punpun
milkcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
kandell
the cookie angel

Every character I cosplay has their own makeup style. For example, Lara Croft looks a lot different from Mew Ichigo. Or Fairy Asuna looks less realistic than a female Sam Winchester.

So for me, it just depends on how I feel I can portray that character. If I feel I can go for a super animu look, I'll do it. But if not, I just go more natural.

Anime Iowa '14
Asuna Yuuki
Ren Hakuei
Sam Manson

Nebraskon '14
Ren Hakuei
*Surprise*
Makoto Tachibana (genderbent)
*Surprise*
Simon Tam (genderbent)
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Depends on the character and what I feel like doing. I'm not very good at getting falsies to stick, so I often forgo those and just use a good mascara.
I usually try to think about what makeup the character would wear and go from there.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Venatrix

This was my conundrum with Bittersweet Lulu. She has MASSIVE eyelashes on both the top and bottom. I worse falsies on both the first time, but... I don't think I'll do that again because, while it looks good in the artwork, I didn't like it on me. She also has pink circles on her cheeks... I downplayed them a bit because I felt making them as intense as they are in the art just looked silly on me.

So basically... I tried matching... And then modified anything that didn't work for me personally
Venatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Acutally, when you achieve the accuracy of the costume itself, the fictional character eventually comes to life when you put it on.

That goes for wigs as well. When someone takes the time to actually style the wig to create the fictional character's style, whether anime, video game, etc., then that character will come to life when you wear it. So you create the character to be accurate as possible, but when everything's completed, you bring the character to life when it's all said and done.

Now I will say this. If for some reason if a character's outfit that you want to do has extremely bright colors, as in neon color(s), then for realistic purposes and to help people's eyes, it's always good to tone down the color(s) a notch because these are FICTIONAL characters. So it's totally fine when it comes to people's eyes while being in character and being accurate.

Every time I see neon colors, it literally almost hurts my eyes because they're so bright and in your face. That's why I personally stay way from character's that has neon colors in there outfits

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Khorrupt

As basically everyone else has said, it's a matter of the character. If they have a "kawaii" personality, then I'm going to anime-ify myself. If they don't, I'll probably go for a more natural look.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros.) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Norakun91

I usually go for a more realistic look. Makeup wise I to look more natural.
Norakun91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I don't like using makeup and wigs so I try to pick characters that I look like as much as possible already.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Realistic for me all the way; my face is an adult face and my body is not an anime body. I'd look absurd trying to replicate an abstracted ideal, so I go the other way.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Eldi
Sneak thief

I tend to go for the more realistic look- I tone down colors and try to make it look cohesive overall rather than entirely screen-accurate. And for makeup I just try to do something that will look good on me, and be enough to stand out in pictures.
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends

Cosplays in Progress:
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Elin Sorcerer- Tera
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #11
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I kind of fall somewhere in the middle. For wigs, I want it to be as screen accurate as possible, but makeup I tend to be a bit looser with. I don't like "accurate" makeup that looks like this . I just feel like it looks weird in real life because you're obviously a person, not a cartoon, so why are you trying to have cartoon eyes and strange marks on your cheeks? But on the other hand, I probably would use falsies for a really moe character even if she were younger. I pretty much just go with what I think is going to be the most aesthetically pleasing while still fitting the characters personality.

For the actual costume, I usually like to be as accurate as possible with colors (unless it's some ungodly color that's just going to look horrible no matter what, then we can renegotiate), but I like to play around with different textures to make the costume seem more realistic, instead of just using plain cotton or satin for everything.
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:11 AM   #12
WondererBailey
Bailey's Cosplay

I'm rather fond of the more "natural" look, but the anime style isn't bad either. But lately I've been gearing myself more towards "natural". It makes the character feel more real...or at least for me it does.

Though, I'm kind of nit picky about how characters look, I like making them look as close to the character as possible so that makes doing say...wigs...in a more natural style a little hard sometimes XD. So, if I can do the wig in a more natural style or if the hair is capable of being done in a natural style and still looking recognizable, then that's what I do.

Judal - [ Magi : The Labyrinth of Magic]
Progress:
Temporarily on hold until after the move
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:07 AM   #13
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Well, I detest makeup. I really don't like wearing it, which is why I never wear it outside of cosplay unless I want to make an impression (which is super rare). Because of that, my knowledge on makeup is limited and I'm not particularly good at it. When it comes to mascara I definitely need help from my mom as my hands have proven themselves to be the most unsteady things on the face of the planet. So really? Natural it is for me, unless the character is very obviously unnatural (ie, Vaati). It's a lot less to do and even a makeup dunce like myself can pull it off. Personally, I don't think natural makeup really detracts from the look. After all, we're bring fictional characters to the real world - we obviously don't have huge anime eyes that take up half out face I don't see the point of going out of the way to do so.
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 15%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #14
ghostkomokhiru
Too tsundere.

ahh man this is a huuuuge issue for me.

for my rainbow dash i was really conflicted like yeah i get she's a magical rainbow flying pegasus, but she's also a huge tomboy and hates makeup/being pampered.
so how do i makeup?? xD like a few of you i either do hardly any makeup or go completely all out.

so doing serious rainbow dash makeup this time was really different for me!

and then with my three main 'human' characters, Madoka Kaname, Mew Ichigo and Anarchy Stocking, each have totally different makeups. Gack.

As for the realism, I had to decide on using a golden finish for the accents on my Mew Ichigo or a bright yellow like the anime. I used a mix. And same with the wig. Did I want a crazy neon hot pink wig like in the anime, or a more subtle pink??

Cosplay = complicated...
Rock your Disney Side- Vanellope von Schweetz
Anime Expo- Anarchy Stocking, Madoka Kaname, Mew Ichigo
Kumoricon- Anarchy Stocking, Madoka Kaname, Tails the Fox, Amethyst!
Rose City Comic Con- Rainbow Dash, maybe Conker the Squirrel King???
Newcon PDX- Anarchy Stocking, Madoka Kaname
ghostkomokhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #15
YuPuffin
Claims to be a puffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reily96 View Post
Well, I detest makeup. I really don't like wearing it, which is why I never wear it outside of cosplay unless I want to make an impression (which is super rare). Because of that, my knowledge on makeup is limited and I'm not particularly good at it.
I'm basically the same way... I have some experience with stage makeup, but that's pretty different from cosplay makeup... Other than that, I'm pretty clueless.

Generally I try to go for a more realistic look. I'm not really sure why it appeals to me more... But I have very little experience with makeup, so instead of consciously choosing "anime" or "realistic," I more just play around with it until I come up with something that looks good. :P

Upcoming Cosplays
Alma Karma (D.Gray-man) - KumoriCon 2014
Devit (D.Gray-man) - Halloween 2014 [maybe]
Rosalie (Tactics) - Early 2015

Cosplays I want to do later
Lucidia (Original character), Sakumo (UTAU), Senkro (Spectrobes)
YuPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote