Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Floating World

Workspace Essentials (and dream equipment)

So I have a pretty great basement I want to use as a workspace and I'm wondering what you guys would say are the essentials and what sort of equipment would be on your dream-list. The space has plenty of outlets and built-in shelves and work tables.
"... Living only for the moment, turning our full attention to the pleasures of the moon, the snow, the cherry blossoms and the maple leaves; singing songs, drinking wine, diverting ourselves in just floating, floating; ... refusing to be disheartened, like a gourd floating along with the river current: this is what we call the floating world..." Asai Ryoi, c. 1661
Floating World is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

Depends on what you need. Sewing, you need a large table/floorspace for laying out fabric, sewing machine (I'm currently lusting after a bigger machine to use for thick vinyl), trash can close by for scraps, maybe a mirror to see how it fits. You'll also want an area for painting and leatherworking. Lots of drawers around to hold tools, bins to hold materials, and a big comfy chair to flop into when you get frustrated. My space is also a bedroom, so I have my TV and laptop in there to look at references and listen to music.

If you're working on bigger stuff, you'd want a jig saw, belt sander, vise, drill... Actually, the vise is useful for a lot of stuff I couldn't have predicted.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Depends what kinds of crafting you do.
If you make props/armor, I would assume a good workbench, stool, and tools are essential.
If you sew, a good sewing machine, iron, ironing board, and maybe even a serger are fine. But I don't know if a garage is really a good place to sew. I guess it's fine if you're going to really clean the place and not keep cars in there, but if you do have cars I would think the smell from the car exhaust as you drive inside would seep into the fabric.
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
EvilLittleKiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
MaiCosplay
synonymous B.

I need some photo equipment; tripod, hd cam, web cam etc,.
Props: Atm I just need a paint set; spray paint, acrylic etc.
Fabric: Lots and lots of patterns

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 07-07-2014 at 10:01 AM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
NaughtsApproach

as of right now my only wanted essential thing is space. because i have none Y__Y i have a small part in the back bedroom to store everything and work. and that space is not even big enough for a hoop skirt to fit, let alone work on a skirt on said hoop skirt.

after i figure out space though, i would love a real desk for my sewing machine, with drawers to store things as well as an embroidery machine, and a serger.

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3

OR My personal business page for any interest in Commissions
http://www.facebook.com/allisonsCustomCostumes
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
kandell
the cookie angel

Dream equipment would be an embroidery machine and a large 3D printer.

Anime Iowa '14
Asuna Yuuki
Ren Hakuei
Sam Manson

Nebraskon '14
Erza Scarlet
Sailor Moon
Femme!Simon Tam
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
almiegeddon

i just want actual workspace, a comfy chair and a real desk. my room was originally part of a larger room that was divided by very thin walls. my room is so small, my bed takes up two-thirds of it. i have a pretty small table right next to it so i usually sit on my bed but the lack of back and arm support and having to constantly hunch over to work has led to many painful hours of crafting. my kingdom for a huge room!
almiegeddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

A large table is a must. I have a 4'x8' table that stands about waist high. Having a taller table means it's more comfortable to stand to work if you need to, without hunching over. It's versatile and I use it for everything, sewing, gluing, fabricating, moulding, cutting, etc. we just move equipment on and off the table as we need it.

My dream equipment would be a multi thread embroidery machine, and a 3d printer

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

My dream space would have a large Table, Sewing machine, embro machine, ruler grid, serger, dress form, closet with many draws for crafting supplies and tons of shelving.
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

My current space has my essentials (large-ish table/kitchen table, all the drafting supplies, sewing machine, easily portable storage totes as I sew in a common area, dressform, and outlets in easy reach of the table for the iron and machine). My dream space would have a proper drafting table, a comfier chair, an extra lamp, a serger and an embroidery machine. And a proper ironing board I don't have to put away. And would be a room to myself, not one I have to share, so I can leave my stuff out overnight without worry.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
FearTheAsian117

Large table, separate sewing table, 3d printer with Cad program, open area, lots of light, embroidery machine, A LAITHE....god damn a laithe would make things so nice....

~Fear

Dervish Primeval armor from Guild Wars with Dhuum's Soul Reaper!

Costume Turn Around:
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/1269/primevalnl3.jpg

Dhuum's Soul Reaper:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/3/31/Dhuum's_Soul_Reaper.jpg

Completed Cosplay:

Lie Ren-RWBY
Death the Kid-Soul Eater

Next Con (And upcoming):
Connecticon 2014

Attended Cons:
Anime Boston 2014
PAX East 2014
Phoenix Comicon 2014
FearTheAsian117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
belligerent
Viking Metal

My dream list includes a money tree.

uhhh probably also a router and a belt sander.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
My dream list includes a money tree.

uhhh probably also a router and a belt sander.
I just bought a belt sander for my bf for $95. Ryobi is discontinuing the blue/black models to start selling the rebranded lime green ones. Home Depot stores in my area are selling the leftover blue/black belt sanders for super cheap. Check all stores in a 50km radius/as far as you're willing to drive. Each store owner can set their own sale price. JSYK, cause y'know, belt sanders are pretty darn useful.

This kind of sale is probably super limited to whatever stock is left, so if you have about $100 to spare, go grab one. Even for a student like me, I couldn't pass up the good value. There's no way you'll ever find a good home-use belt sander for that price ever again.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Eldi
Sneak thief

I mostly sew, so this is pretty much all sewing stuff. My fiance and I are working together so we each specialize, and he does most of the heavy prop stuff that requires tools.
Essentials: A quality sewing machine, a big padded cutting/pinning/ironing table, lots of floor space, many wig heads/stands, endless muslin, a dress form that will magically match my body even though the damn thing changes shape all the time...
I'm planning to get a heat gun soon, and maybe one of those little quilter's irons (I think it'd be good for pressing seams in hard places but idk)
Someday I want a serger, maybe a 3-D printer but I'm waiting for them to be cheaper & better (not that they're bad now, but I know that's how technology goes)
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends

Future Cosplays:
Rikka Takanashi- Chunibyo
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Elin Reaper- Tera
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
I just bought a belt sander for my bf for $95. Ryobi is discontinuing the blue/black models to start selling the rebranded lime green ones. Home Depot stores in my area are selling the leftover blue/black belt sanders for super cheap. Check all stores in a 50km radius/as far as you're willing to drive. Each store owner can set their own sale price. JSYK, cause y'know, belt sanders are pretty darn useful.

This kind of sale is probably super limited to whatever stock is left, so if you have about $100 to spare, go grab one. Even for a student like me, I couldn't pass up the good value. There's no way you'll ever find a good home-use belt sander for that price ever again.
I am probably getting the $30 (after coupon) one from harbor freight. They aren't what I'd call quality but I can always buy a better one if I end up using it a lot and want something higher quality.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote