Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.78 average.
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Hikari_chan56
so wat bout dem mudkipz?1

Things You Hate About Cosplay

Alright, everyone. Cosplay is an incredibly fun hobby! But just like all hobbies, cosplay has its flaws. There's gotta be SOMETHING you dislike about it, right? Whether it be problems with the costumes themselves, cosplayers themselves, or cons in general, why not complain about it here? Whether we can fix the problems or not, it's good to have a thread dedicated to complaining about our favorite thing to do!

1)There are a lot of things I dislike about cosplay. First off, it's such an expensive hobby! I can't do one costume with out being broke! And jeez, people on Ebay sell regular, simple styled wigs over 100$! Whats up with that?! Can't some one out there have a cosplay site that keeps us cheap o's in mind?!

2)Another thing I can't stand is how a lot of cosplayers can justify being rude to less experienced cosplayers. Anybody familiar with "Cosfu" or "4chan"? I hate seeing people post up shots of cosplayers they consider to be "failures". We all start off bad at one point, right? Why make fun of others? Just because you have more experience, doesn't give you the right to tear down others. Cosplay isn't about who makes the "best" Inuyasha or Sailor Moon costume. It's about dressing up as your favorite character and having fun with others who do the same! Since when do common courtesy laws not apply to cosplay?

I have a lot more pet peeves with cosplay but I want to hear what you all think!
Hikari_chan56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
misaloveslight6
meow goes the kitty cat

you know something i completely agree with you, its not about trashing someone so bad that they never do it again.

granted you can't win all the time but its nice to pick out at least one good thing the person did. ESPECIALLY if they are brand new to the art. I also think that jumping people because they didn't make the whole thing is a bit rediculous. Not everyone knows how to sew right away and don't say you never bought something off Cosplaymagic.com because we all did, i did, you did, and they did and they shouldn't be persecuted they should be guided.

There aren't that many cosplayers out there so why are we so focused on killing off the few we do have...

last time i checked cons with only 14 people in attendance...weren't that great
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Hikari_chan56
so wat bout dem mudkipz?1

MisaLovesLight-- Yay! Some one who agrees with me! Cosplayers aren't that plentiful--so why not unite with all cosplayers instead of tear them down?
Hikari_chan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Viehfutter
Squandered Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari_chan56 View Post
2)Another thing I can't stand is how a lot of cosplayers can justify being rude to less experienced cosplayers. Anybody familiar with "Cosfu" or "4chan"? I hate seeing people post up shots of cosplayers they consider to be "failures". We all start off bad at one point, right? Why make fun of others? Just because you have more experience, doesn't give you the right to tear down others. Cosplay isn't about who makes the "best" Inuyasha or Sailor Moon costume. It's about dressing up as your favorite character and having fun with others who do the same! Since when do common courtesy laws not apply to cosplay?
/CGL/ is a vicious monster that chews up and spits out cosplayers, but it does have two great things going for it. First of all, if you find it distasteful, it's pretty easy to avoid it, and second, if one ever needs candid critique of a costume, it's pretty much the best way to get unvarnished criticism, albeit often not constructive.
Viehfutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
misaloveslight6
meow goes the kitty cat

-scratches her head- its ... also a good place to stroke your own ego XD
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

I agree with both points made by the opening post.
Something else that I hate when it comes to cosplay is fitting.
I'm currently working on my Patty Thompson shirt and my Anastasia gown and since both of them are rather fitted in the bodice, I have to fit them to my torso. It's so annoying trying to figure out how much I take in or let out or whatever.

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
Kobalos
Goblin Queen

The cost oh man the cost is so exspensive my last cosplay cost me about Ł200 ($370)and then fell apart at the gig *growls* I am going up to brighton today to see what I can get for my Rosiel cosplay
Kobalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
M_AKU
I dare you to say sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari_chan56 View Post
[color="Red"]

1)There are a lot of things I dislike about cosplay. First off, it's such an expensive hobby! I can't do one costume with out being broke! And jeez, people on Ebay sell regular, simple styled wigs over 100$! Whats up with that?! Can't some one out there have a cosplay site that keeps us cheap o's in mind?!
mhmm. agreed.
I found a Namine cosplay online for about $125. I understand if you're not an expert at making costumes but i think it'd be much cheaper finding a simple white dress similar to that of hers (and alternating it if you want) or buying the fabric and a pattern while learning how to improve on sewing skills.

Costs for con's are also getting more expensive.
Before, i used to go to a con that was $25 for the whole weekend, now the same con is $45.

But hay, it's the things i do for what i love
M_AKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Yukari Kaiba
LIKE A BOSS

totally agree with the sentiments in the first post.
Another thing I dislike about the hobby? artwork inconsistencies! It's so frustrating when I'm gathering reference materials and the manga images are completely different from the anime (my current project, Findor, is a prime example of this >< ).
Also really frustrating is not being able to find a full 360 ref image of a character you're trying to do.

2013 Cosplay!
Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basket)COMPLETE!
Alibaba Saluja (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic)COMPLETE!
Hige (Wolf's Rain)COMPLETE!
Sanada Yukimura, Revoltech limited edition variant (Sengoku BASARA)COMPLETE!
Subway Master Nobori (Pokemon Black&White)COMPLETE!
Candlehead (Sugar Rush!/Wreck-It Ralph)COMPLETE!
Scrafty (Pokemon Black&White)COMPLETE!
Hatsune Miku, Magnet variant (Vocaloid)COMPLETE!
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)

Last edited by Yukari Kaiba : 06-20-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Yukari Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Y'know my problems don't stem from the cosplay itself. Mostly the people. I can't stand the egotistical elitists or the money grubbers. I mean, at least the arrogant, sugar-high teens will grow up a little at some point. But these types are ADULTS.

First, the egotistical elitist ones will make those snide comments about everyone's costumes, regardless if their's is actually well put together. That's annoying enough. But when people who have some amazing talent look down their nose at everyone else...that's just obnoxious. Some people call them costume royalty, but y'know...you're still a geek in a costume. No better than any of them except at putting stuff together. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying all are like that, but I have seen them.

And the ones I hate the MOST. The people who try and turn everything into a business transaction. There are some people who view con-going and this whole costuming thing as a business opportunity and use every chance they get to take your money. Seriously, just make your frakking costumes and stop trying to hawk your wares. If I'm interested in something you've made, I'll ask, thanks.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

I hate cosplay drama.

Why so serious? It's just a hobby.

Gosh, and lack of refs, too. Inconsistent refs are inconsistent.

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

The two things I hate most about cosplay is inconsistant reference and/or lack of 360 reference. It's annoying to have to make up how something looks in the back based only on side views of the costume or trying to figure out exactly what shape a buckle is when the animation keeps changing it on you.
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
☆ KEITA
Pokémon Master

Lack of refs. D:
Cost of things. ''OTL
People looking down on you because lack of experience. D;<

Upcoming Cosplay
WWWl Stocking MALE VER (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
WWWl Horohoro TOURNAMENT VER (Shaman King)
WWWl Vivi (Luminous Arc)
WWWl Syaoran (Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle)
☆ KEITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
VendettaCode
Loves cake. Hates glomps.

The price. For the love of God. I'm. Not. Rich.
Mello (Death Note): 100%
Sidoh (Death Note): 100%

Current Project:
Envy (Fullmetal Alchemist): 15%
VendettaCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
Zabuz
Speedy Gonzales. Quite

Damn references.
From a game:
Pre-production images
Teaser images
Trailer images
In game images

WHY YOU NOT LOOK THA SAME? >: <

2'nd: Fabric.
That shit is damn expensive.
And the only place where it is cheaper is at places that is far, faaaaaar away from where I live.
I could order online, but then I might get what I didn't wish for and have no need for + shipping that is ridiculously high.

Aaand...
The rest that I hate about it is my own fault, mostly ..'

http://grim---reaper.deviantart.com/

http://instagram.com/zabuzor/
Zabuz is offline   Reply With Quote