Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
RGCostumes

Can video game clothing ever be considered fashion?

Hi everyone, hopefully I'm writing in the right section

I'm new to the site but I've been cosplaying since 2009.

For my final project at university we have been asked to come up with a research topic that we will investigate throughout the year. For mine I have chosen to look into whether video game character's attire could ever be seen as something that could be adapted and worn as everyday fashion, especially evening wear or couture. So I have a few questions that I would appreciate any willing participants to please answer.

1)What do you think of Louis Vuitton and Prada using characters from Final Fantasy XIII to model their clothing in previous years?

2) Do you ever think there would be a market for video game inspired fashion?

3) Would you be happy to purchase an item of clothing if you knew it had been inspired by a video game costume?

For anyone who would like to answer just post your responses here. Thanks in advance for your help!
RGCostumes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

1. I surely don't give half a fuck. I couldn't afford anything they make, and by the time it trickled down to my market bracket, it would have lost any of the individual charm that made it wonderful while it was still a high-ticket item.

2. No. Frankly, no. Video games are fleeting little things, and any fashion that's worth the money it costs to make won't be so fleeting. A market for video-game fashion will skew young, and young purchasers skew poor. Don't make garment runs. They'll have to be made of shitty fabric by slave labor to be profitable. Screen-print mass-produced garments instead. Still slave labor, just more straightforward.

3. I would not. I would assume it was a trifling, indifferent garment. I would assume that it was cashing in on my fandom, and therefore sacrifice quality.

Please, if you like video games and you're hoping to make mass-produced fashion reflect video games, shift your focus. Visual game design and design for real-life, real-world people can and ought be different. Do not drag yourself behind the videogame car.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 11-06-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

1. Did they? I never heard about that. I don't care, I don't like Final Fantasy.

2. There is already buttloads of video game merchandise, so consider that against your definition of "fashion." What sells? Casual clothing - tshirts, hoodies, accessories. Here's your problem: how far removed from the video game does the couture need to be in order for couture people to buy it, and in doing so, have you alienated the core fanbase that usually shells out major bucks for their gaming merch? Mangochutney's point is valid - make a Venn diagram of "people who buy high-fashion garments" and "people who buy video game merchandise" and I'm betting the overlap is so small that no fashion house would want to risk funding it.

3. No, not really. If I wanted game-inspired clothing I'd make it myself.

It's an interesting topic, but I can already predict that what you're going to find is not at all what you expect. I mean, consider games like Bioshock, set in an alternate history or alternate future where uniforms and other clothing are very fashionable but at the same time unique to that world and that setting. You could very much make an argument that some of the coats would sell as regular couture, but the problem is, telling people that it was inspired by or directly from a video game would not be a selling point for them. Most people who follow fashion and want the latest high-end couture do not play video games and probably have a negative view of them.

So, here's your dilemna - do you claim inspiration by video game and risk the "eww that's nerd stuff" reaction from couture circles, or do you use it to try to broaden horizons and make people see that games can be art and design?

But really I think Mango has a point that if you're looking strictly at couture, the broader market isn't going to touch it even if it is "inspired by Zelda" or something. It'll be too expensive, it probably won't be made in their size, and it will probably look terrible on normal human beings instead of statuesque models on the runway anyway. I mean, consider the coats inspired by Assassin's Creed that came out a few years ago, and a lot of people bought, but then sort of realized it didn't look good on people the way it looked good on the mannequin. It was a high price point but it was still low enough that some folks could afford it, and you'll see one wandering around in it once in a while and it doesn't suck, but it really could have been better.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

1. I think it's kinda cool, but seeing as I am neither a Final Fantasy fan nor a person who could ever hope to afford a single article of clothing from them, I don't feel at all strongly about it.

2. There are some companies that make video game-inspired clothing, like Volante Design and Musterbrand. I think it's a very niche market, though, since, like previous commenters are saying–there's really no nice way to put this–a vast majority of people who consider themselves "gamers" don't dress at all well, don't care about clothing enough to buy expensive garments, and wouldn't know enough about fashion to wear them well if they did buy any. Most people of, well, larger body size would have even more trouble pulling clothing like that off without looking neckbeardy.

3. As someone who does care quite a bit about fashion and how I dress, I would if I thought it looked like something practical that I could get away with wearing with my everyday wardrobe, although the fact that it was based on video game clothing wouldn't necessarily be a factor in my decision to purchase it, unless I wanted to use it for a cosplay or something.

I do like to wear outfits that take inspiration from fictional characters (although I mostly draw my inspiration from live action films and TV shows rather than video games), and I used to dress in a much more... unusual way, but as I've been learning more about fashion and maturing more I've come to realize that dressing like I'm one top hat/brass-and-leather gauntlet/custom Nerf gun away from being a Steampunk cosplayer probably doesn't give lots of people the best impression of me.

In progress/planned: Newt Scamander (Fantastic Beasts), Roy Mustang (FMA: Brotherhood), Aldo Raine (Inglourious Basterds), Han Solo (Star Wars Ep V), Big Boss (MGS3), Steve Rogers (Captain America: TFA)

FacebookdeviantArtInstagram
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

1. I didn't know that, but as a fashion nerd I do find that really interesting.

2. Seconding what Mango said. My gaming-themed clothes are all t-shirts or PJs. Sure, places like Hot Topic do sometimes sell game-inspired dresses and whatnot, but I don't see it being a big market for anyone outside that demographic.

3. Probably not, unless it was very well-made. I'm not a fan of the aforementioned Hot Topic dresses. They're made poorly, aren't very creative imo, (just the same shape/style dress with different printed fabrics) scream "LOOK, I'M A REFERENCE!!!!", and look costume-y. (And not in a good way.)

Certain styles (ex. 20's-inspired clothing, Steampunk, Lolita, visual kei, etc.) don't usually catch on in mainstream fashion because they look like something you'd wear on Halloween. This includes many gaming-inspired clothes, besides super casual clothes. If you make the gaming reference too obvious, it looks like a very cheap costume. If you make it too subtle, then most people won't recognize the inspiration.

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
KidXister

1. First I have ever heard of it
2. I see hoodies inspired by Fallout and Mass effect all the time. not to mention Pokemon hats and clothing. If you get on Pinterest women put together outfits that are inspired by all kinds of pop culture characters.
3. Yes most definitely.
KidXister is offline   Reply With Quote