Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
VicViper_Mk2

Cosplay in the 22nd Century

Hello everyone, here's a question that I would like to hear your opinion on, what do you think Cosplay in general would be like 100 years from now in the 22nd century?

Yes I know, by then most of us have already passed on, while some may be lucky enough to see its future. Here's 2 possibilities I can think of.

1. Advance 3D printing. Taking the 3D printer we have today to a whole new level, costume designs are bought as programs, fully customizable in measurements and details, loaded into the printer and it creates a copy that fits perfectly. Of course, professionals will be able to create more elaborate and complex designs than the average cosplayer.

2. Holographic projections. Instead of wearing the costumes and the whole get-up, you wear a holographic projector that projects the costume of your choice on you. A vast reduction in prep time, and you can switch from multiple costumes quickly on the go.

Of course, there is always a chance that somewhere near the late 21st Century that Cosplay might die out for whatever reason (i.e. lack of interest, time constraint, etc)

What do you think?
VicViper_Mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
ilafatyu
That guy

I don't entirely believe the human race won't have killed each other completely at that point, but it's a fun idea to think of.

Imagine what wireless electricity could do. The robotics, the lights, it could add some really cool tech to cosplays without the bulky battery packs. Pair that with 3D printing with flexible material and you're really going places.

Of course, by that time, physical appearance may be as easy to change as hair color is now, so everyone would be expected to be a perfect physical clone of their character. People at first would be looked down for it, then it would be expected. If people now feel comfortable asking strangers why they don't have colored contacts, imagine hiking that up to the max?

...If the whole thing isn't declared copyright infringement and made illegal. Underground cosplay rings...

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren, Absol gijinka
Upgrading : Zexion (wig), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafatyu View Post

...If the whole thing isn't declared copyright infringement and made illegal. Underground cosplay rings...
I think if that happened people would just all switch to original designs. There's already so many people that make really good originally designed cosplays.
Unread 08-18-2016, 04:15 AM   #4
Amanita

^That was my thought exactly! People would start doing original designs, we would see a return to what cons were like in the 70's and early 80's when technologies like video games and even home video were in their infancy, and we were not spoiled for choice in terms of visual media as we are today. Back then a lot more people did original designs, or their own interpretations of literary characters, based on their own interpretations of the text.
Unread 08-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

There may probably be electronic fabric-cutting devices that work like Cricuts that will cut your fabric pieces with your measures in less time than it takes to say "cosplay pattern!", and also some machine that prints any pattern you couldn't find at the fabric store over any blank fabric (that's something even cosplay conservatives wouldn't reject)

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
There may probably be electronic fabric-cutting devices that work like Cricuts that will cut your fabric pieces with your measures in less time than it takes to say "cosplay pattern!", and also some machine that prints any pattern you couldn't find at the fabric store over any blank fabric (that's something even cosplay conservatives wouldn't reject)
The second one already exists (check out www.spoonflower.com), just not in a "home use" scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I think we will have much more organic and realistic designs. We are starting to get there already, but by the time the 22nd century comes around, it'll probably be commonplace. When I say "organic" I mean like tails and prosthetic that more like an actual piece of the body than a random or cycle controlled item. And realistic being cosplays that look like they came straight out of the source.

Possible Future Cosplays
Ippo (Hajime no Ippo)
Guts, Golden Age (Berserk)
Teen Goku (Dragonball/ Dragonball Z)
Steve Rogers civilian uniform (Captain America: First Avenger)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Author of the "Getting Fit for Cosplay" Katsucon panel.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
Cosplay Prince
Cosplay Filmmaker

In the 22nd century, people will add real life superheroes (and possibly villains) to their cosplays, because technology is getting to the point where super powers and robotic battle suits go from science fiction to science reality.
Unread Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #9
ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
The second one already exists (check out www.spoonflower.com), just not in a "home use" scale.
If you're willing to invest some serious dough, you could buy a dye sublimation printer. The future is now!

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren, Absol gijinka
Upgrading : Zexion (wig), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote