Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-05-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
BubbleBeth

What Fabric Should I Use?

Hello! I am going to be cosplaying as Ty Lee from Avatar; The Last Airbender at Anime Milwaukee this year (yeah I know I only have a month left but I was working on other cosplays) But I am just wondering

What kind of fabric would work best so I am still able to do all the gymnastic stunts that she does? And would I be able to get it perfabbly from Jo-Anns or something similar instead of online.

Thank you so much!

BubbleBeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
Penlowe

This thread belongs in the Sewing forum.

With the loose fit of the garments there are no restrictions on stretch or non-stretch. I personally would use a twill, it has strength to tolerate a lot of movement and will sew & press into the crisp shapes on the skirt nicely. A knit would be nice for the top, but not the skirt. Spandex is not at all required.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I don't know much about traditional Asian clothing, but I'd guess maybe some kind of linen for at least some of it? You should be able to find something suitable at Jo-Ann's. A stretchy material would look very costume-y and out of place, so yeah, no spandex.
Done: Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Eleventh Doctor, Captain Levi (SnK), Captain Jack Harkness, Vash the Stampede, The Kid (Bastion), Booker Dewitt, Arno Dorian, Jaime Lannister (S01-04), Connor Kenway, Mad Max, Shay Cormac, Jaime Lannister (S04-05), Otso Berg, Jacob Frye

In progress: Jacob Frye 2.0

Future/considering: Snake/Big Boss (MGS3), Spike Spiegel, Mako (LoK), Poe Dameron, Arno Dorian 2.0, Aldo Raine, General Hux
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote