Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
ShortStuff
Videogame Addict

Convention Horror Stories

Ever had an experience that you just can't EVER let go of? Something that haunts your dreams? Well, here's the thread to post it and to share some of your most...Interesting con experiences.

They can be funny, creepy... Anything you want! Even serious cosplay malfunctions! I felt this would be a sort of fun thread to post, and I don't reaaally see one like it. For starters, I'll give my most scarring con story:

I was cosplaying as Apollo Justice several years ago and I was attacked by a rather heavy-set girl who glomped me. Needless to say, I threw out my back. Later that day, I was felt up by an apparent transexual who felt the need to molest me because 'I looked adorable as the character'. I got really flustered and said that she looked nice too, but apparently she didn't want to be referred to as a she. So, yeah, that was a very traumatizing experience for me. >>;

Pokemon Mascot Costume (A Surprise)
Bilbo Baggins
Wizard King Cartman

Last edited by ShortStuff : 01-14-2011 at 02:23 PM.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Soteria
Tsunade-Sama

I've got one from AFO 2009

I cosplay as Tsunade and I was waiting in a line with one of my friends and a guy dressed as Jiraiya wanted a hug. But then he tried pulling me into his lap in the worst way. I still shiver when one of my friends reminds me of that.

-Anime Festival Orlando 2013: August 15th-18th
Thursday: hotel check-in and weekend pass pick-up
Friday Morning: Yumi from Rurouni Kenshin
Friday Afternoon/Night: Umbreon Gijinka from Pokemon
Saturday (All day): SNJ Jiraiya from Naruto

Last edited by Soteria : 01-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Soteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Only horror stories of conventions that have actually happened are in my dreams. Con comes, and my cosplays aren't finished, or I buy lots of Rare Merchandise (and sometimes get it for free) and wake up to nothing ;_; It's a nightmare!
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
ShortStuff
Videogame Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Only horror stories of conventions that have actually happened are in my dreams. Con comes, and my cosplays aren't finished, or I buy lots of Rare Merchandise (and sometimes get it for free) and wake up to nothing ;_; It's a nightmare!
Oh man! I know exactly what you mean as far as unfinished cosplays go. Even if I do have a finished cosplay and I know it's done, I'll have horrible dreams about it being incomplete, forgetting something, etc. D: *hug*

Bilbo Baggins
Wizard King Cartman
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
Oh man! I know exactly what you mean as far as unfinished cosplays go. Even if I do have a finished cosplay and I know it's done, I'll have horrible dreams about it being incomplete, forgetting something, etc. D: *hug*
Exactly! I finshed one of my cosplays months ago and I had dreams that it was no-where near finished but I wore it anyway O___o;;
I have yet to experience something horrible though, maybe at my next con? Mew Berry is going to attract some unwanted attention. She's not really revealing or anything, but she is a half bunny, half cat girl and wear a garter, and people who don't know the character or the series Tokyo Mew Mew are going to have the wrong impressions >.<; We'll see.

(>'.')> Hug! xD
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight

Oh I've had those dreams
A few months ago I went to my first out of state con(Anime Vegas) and a few days before I dreamt we drove all the way out there and I forgot an important piece of my cosplay

I was relieved when I woke up, and when I packed for the con I triple checked to make sure I had everything XD
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Chi-Nasagawa
♥ Shotacon ♥

I'd have to say that the worse thing to ever happen to me at a con was this one really out of shape guy (you know the ones, the ones everyone pictures when someone says "anime") with an equilizer shirt one who came up to me (I'm very short and tiny) and was like, practically breathing down my neck and said "I love Konata, can I have a hug?" I was like "ummmm" and he wrapped his arms around me, all I could do was look at my friend and mouth out "help me!" >_> This scared me terribly. Sadly, it was at my first ever con, but luckily it didn't scare me away.
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
MiraiTrunksLove

horror story for me was when I brought my godson with me, and we were in a big crowd and someone kicked him (god knows who the hell would kick a child! ) after a while, the lil guy started complaining that his ankle hurt, eventually he was balling his eyes out cuz he was in so much pain. we took him to the nurse and she said he'd have to go to the hospital. we walked around and i held him up as he limped around, just wanted to get something out of dealer's room for him, got him the $40 figurine he desperately wanted, and then we left the con.
MiraiTrunksLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
ieixxx
isnt a weirdo...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
I was cosplaying as Apollo Justice several years ago and I was attacked by a rather heavy-set girl who glomped me.
I would probably just ask for a hug from an apollo cosplayer... Edgey on the other hand, I might have to be held back.
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Ladies and Gentlemen, skinny and stout,I'll tell you a tale I know nothing about;The Admission is free, so pay at the door,Now pull up a chair and sit on the floor;

Once upon a time at A-Kon 21 in Dallas,Texas....My friend, Manny, worked security at several conventions and was getting my friend and I tickets as part of the "here's a whole crap ton of extras for you" perk he got for donating his time and manly man-ness to A-Kon. However problems arose and he wasn't going to make it to the first day at all, knowing my friend had flown from Orlando to come he was so kind and noble as to wire us over money to get our tickets.

The problem was that the place we where picking it up form was a seedy, nasty, farty-smelling corner store in the downtown area close to the convention center. The store was about wide enough to fit 4 people standing next to each-other and fairly long. There was a wall of lighters behind fogged and scratched glass with a lot of scratch offs on the wall. Run by a couple of mafia-esque looking fellows with greasy hair and a lot of gold chains. It was not like a CVS/711/average chain drugstore. It was dank and stinky and clearly not at all the place for two barely legal young ladies to be alone in. Problem 2 was we where both in costume...my friend as The Mad Hatter and me as Alice. Trotting through downtown Dallas, through the stinky ghetto-ness areas, to this nasty little nothing of a corner store. I am fairly sure they thought we where some kind of prostitutes. At the time the guy claimed there was a 2$ fee to withdraw, Manny had told us he paid this already but frankly this was NOT the man to argue with and we where desperate to get out so I paid it. Later when I told Manny he had a fit and was going to call up the place since they'd ripped us off. Hardly by much but as he put it "What if you hadn't had an extra 2$ on you at the time?" and I know he was looking out for us.

But still, creepy ghetto money order picking up was creepy
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Kira*chan

I guess the worst thing that happened to me was last year at Otakuthon (in Montreal, Canada). I basically panicked, and ended up having an emotional meltdown of sorts ;;;;

It was my first con ever that I went to that wasn't /in/ the city I live in, and I went with a friend and his mom, and my mom.
Which, I must first say, since it'll make sense later in my story, that my friend is younger than me by two and a half years, a lot more immature, as well as the fact he has Asbergers (sp?), Which is a weak form of autism.

Everything had been going fine, except maybe on the Friday, where we ended up arriving at the hotel too late, because my friend's mom was late picking us up (By two hours, I might add. ), and I ended up missing registration, as well as a panel I was really looking forward to.

But...on the Saturday evening at the con, my friend decided to drag me to the games room (which I didn't really want to do, but I agreed to it for a short while anyhow) for a bit.

As soon as I found out that they didn't let bags, purses, anything like that in, and had a "Bag check", I gave my mom my purse. Fine right? I didn't want my bag to sit where anyone could steal from it if the bag check people weren't paying attention.
I could have easily found my mom to get my stuff when I came out of the games room.
Or so I thought. My friend ended up getting angry at some gamer cause he wasn't being fair or something, so we left maybe 15 minutes after going in, and we start to look for our moms......with no luck. We look all over the conbefore I find out from my friend that they'd gone to a panel, so we start searching all the panel rooms.......and we still had no luck.
At this point, my friend was thinking that they went back to our hotel room, and panicking himself. I was worried, but nothing else; I've been on my own before, so I wasn't quite as badly off.
After a bit more searching, this time in the cosplay cafe, and on the lower floors of the convention centre, my friend was starting to get angry, at other cosplayers (We had sat down in the cosplay cafe for a moment to think, and at the next table were some cosplayers playing a yaoi game), at his mom....he was beginning to curse a lot too, which was making me worry more that someone would overhear him, and kick him (and me, for being with him) out of the con...
Then my friend started saying things like he should just end it, and jump off the balcony of the convention centre, which scared the hell out of me....

After going back to the main level where a majority of the things for the con were, I told my friend to SIT, and wait for me while I went looking again on my own. I was beginning to panic, since the more I looked, the more I didn't find anything. So after another round of checking the panel rooms, I returned to where I left my friend, only to find that he'd wandered off.

NOW, I was beginning to really panic, because I was surrounded by strangers, with no phone, no money, no hotel card, no i.d.....in a strange city where I could barely speak the language ( I know next to no french. -.-;; ).

I went to the help desk, hoping they could help me, only to get a cold shoulder for any help, as they basically told me to go look for my friend then, and After going back, I found my friend at the desk (which I was crying, and yelling at him for that) and then we asked if we could call one of our mom's cell, which was fine.... until the guy at the desk heard we weren't from Quebec, and he wouldn't let us use his phone, because he didn't want long distance charges. Another person - a staff member I think - saw my reaction to that and let us use his phone to call, so while my friend did that, I just sat on the ground and began crying.

Finally, about five minutes later our mom's came, and I calmed down....

On Sunday, my friend didn't even know what he'd done wrong, and accused me of over reacting.

I would have been fine if I'd had my bag though.
I was 17 then (Still am |D;; ) but I've emotionally gone through a lot this past year (namely, the death of my Father) and that incident was the last thing my nerves needed.

I have learned from that never to go to a con with my friend though... The next con, which was in November - and in the same city I live in - I went alone, and only ran into my friend for a few minutes on each day of the con.

Also, despite all this, I do want to go back to Otakuthon....just alone next time.

1)-Vriska Serket (Homestuck)
2)-Yukio Okumura (Ao no Exorcist)
3)-Prussia; War of Austrian Succession (Axis Powers Hetalia)
4)-Rainbow Dash (My Little Pony Friendship is Magic)
5)-Fem!Prussia (Nyotalia Hetalia)

Upcoming cons ~
Naru2u 2011
Ganime 2012

Kira*chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #12
Lithium Flower
Handphones

@Kira*chan- No offense but that kid is kinda a douche. Imagine if he'd gotten seriously hurt? Or if YOU where seriously hurt and security was trying to find him? If he'd mentally stable enough to attend a convention and be left alone with friends by his mother he should have known better.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
Kira*chan

@ Lithium flower: Yeah....I actually agree with you on that.
I've actually been...over-friendly with him by being his friend for so long, since there's been a few other instances lately where it's been pushing me close to telling him "That's it".

But he never used to be this bad, and our moms have become friends, and my friend's mom is sort of....over protective of him.
(A few months ago, she called up randomly because I hadn't talked to my friend in over a month, and then out of the blue sent a message on MSN telling my friend he had taken out library books on my library card, and I was panicking because they were overdue, and apparently my friend started crying over it.....

I just don't know anymore...*sighs*

1)-Vriska Serket (Homestuck)
2)-Yukio Okumura (Ao no Exorcist)
3)-Prussia; War of Austrian Succession (Axis Powers Hetalia)
4)-Rainbow Dash (My Little Pony Friendship is Magic)
5)-Fem!Prussia (Nyotalia Hetalia)

Upcoming cons ~
Naru2u 2011
Ganime 2012

Kira*chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #14
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

A friend of mine with a serious nut allergy had a bad reaction and went into anaphylictic shock when some kid sneezed in her direction after eating something with nuts in it..
This happened about 15 minutes after she got her ticket to the con.. They had to shut down the dealers room for half an hour to make room for the paramedics to get her onto a stretcher and into an ambulance.. She spent the rest of the weekend in the hospital and missed the con.

As for my horror story..
This happened at Fanexpo about 4 years ago.. All my friends, and my boyfriend, bailed on me and cancelled at the last minute, so I went by myself. I was dressed as Tifa from FF Advent Children, and as I was walking back to my hotel room, this random guy in the hotel lobby started talking to me. I don't know if he was at the con or not..
This guy started hitting on me, and asked me to go to the bar with him. I politely declined, and tried to walk away. He grabbed my arm and wouldn't let me leave.. he kept telling me that he thought my hair was pretty, and that he'd love to take me to his room with him.. I was really freaked out. When I tried to get back to my hotel room again, the guy grabbed me by the hair and pulled me back.
Almost immediately after that, this girl who I had never met before (Who was clearly at the con because she was in costume) ran up to me and pretended to be my friend who had been "looking for me everywhere".. I think she must have seen that I was not in a good situation, and did what she could help.. But, it worked, because the guy said something about having to be somewhere, and he left.
We both went together to report him to the hotel management.
I ended up hanging out with her for the rest of the con..
I'm still really thankful for what she did.. If I had seen someone in that situation, I don't think I would have had the guts to help.
I still talk to her online.. I haven't seen her in person in almost 2 years though, because I haven't been to Fanexpo in a while. (And certainly I haven't gone alone again)

Last edited by kuroi_shi : 01-15-2011 at 03:02 AM.
kuroi_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
ShortStuff
Videogame Addict

@kuroi_shi: Your poor friend! D: That would be the most awful thing. Seriously, that really bites. And just from a sneeze? Holy crap.

As for your situation, thank goodness for nice con-goers. I would've panicked if that happened to me. Wow, that's the scariest story I've read yet... Next to really seedy money transaction place. Yikes.

Bilbo Baggins
Wizard King Cartman