Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-30-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
Cl0udy

Skimpy/Revealing Cosplay??

I recently found a character that I might like to cosplay, but she's dressed really revealing and it's making me question my choice. I'm a person who usually doesn't dress revealingly, and i'm quite shy as well.
So, what advice do people who have for cosplaying those kinds of outfits? Any suggestions or stories would be great, and help out those like myself who are worried.
Cl0udy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2015, 04:04 AM   #2
Angel Tear
Sugar Snow

Anyone will tell you to cosplay who you like, and thats totally cool as long as it's not something outrageously offensive or likely to cause a stir for the hell of it. However whenever someone decides to cosplay as a character who is a little more revealing than some, then they will probably run into people who totally left their everyday civilian manners at the door when they get to the convention. You can't do anything about that, but you can arm yourself to know how to deal with the situations. Make sure you have someone with you who can help and shoo off any unsavoury people, get familiar with where the staff will be so you can pull them up and point them in the direction of anybody who gives you grief.
Photography can be one of the areas where it gets sketchy, so if you think anybody is trying to get a certain angle or pose you're not comfortable with - speak up. I've heard stories of photographers getting lower down for a more 'appealing' angle, and even those who want a photo with you might try to take advantage, everything becomes a possible problem, but its how you deal with it and avoid getting into the situations that can save your day from being ruined.

But as long as you feel great, cosplay a character you love in a design that you like then there is no reason whatsoever for you to not wear that costume just because there might be a person who tries to push it around you. Being shy is something I can relate to all too easily, but I travel around cons with three very tall guys, some larger, and a girl who is not afraid to say what she thinks if someone is behaving badly. I feel completely safe and I can trust them to have my back if I'm off in lala land looking at all the pretty shiny things.

But yeah, just have fun and rock it, but just stay aware of your surroundings. If you have to travel to a hotel away from the con, make sure you've got something that you can cover yourself with in between the two areas because it's in that grey area where all of the 'normals' are who possibly wont understand what's going on and try to give you crud. It's possibly one of the more problematic places to be from stories I've read on this site about people having problems with others.
Angel Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
NaughtsApproach

dont let anyone tell you what you can and cant do and only cosplay the character if you are completely comfortable wearing it.

only advice i have for you is be aware of your surroundings, keep strong, and enjoy the outfit you worked hard at putting together!

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
EdenAnarchy

Honestly, you can cosplay whatever you want, but I know the feeling. I had this same issue in 2013 when I did my Lightning Returns cosplay. I'm a size 16/18 and I'm rather modest, but I loved the cosplay and wanted to make it. I did what I called "modesty panels" in the costume by using skin colored fabric over my tummy instead of letting the sides of my midriff be exposed, and instead of a bikini bottom, I used short black shorts and skin colored tights so I didn't feel so exposed in that open front skirt she wears. I hope this was helpful

Momocon (Saturday only)
Cosplay America (hopefully)
AWA (Friday-Sunday)

Korra (earth bender version)
Noodle- Gorillaz (melancholy hill version)
Sears Victoria- hellsing (blood arm version)
EdenAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

If anyone gets inappropriate or makes you uncomfortable, remember that you have the right to tell them to stop. Just because you are in a skimpy costume does not mean people have an open invitation to touch you, ogle you, or make lewd comments and gestures. If they don't stop when you tell them, find security or con staff right away.

Also, even if you are feeling shy or self-conscious, remember to have confidence. Even if you're faking it. It's not easy to walk into a convention wearing a skimpy or revealing outfit, but if you force your confidence through it will get easier and easier as the day passes. Just remember that you love the character, you worked hard on the outfit, and that you look awesome! xD And don't forget to let go and have fun, because at the end of the day, who cares what other people think.

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
maurzbar
timid gekko

Totally am agreeing with everything anyone else is saying. I, too, always get really uncomfortable when cosplaying characters that show more skin, especially in the leg area, because I'm not really confident and I get nervous that someone will say something. It really makes a big difference if you have someone walking with you, and if you can't arrange that, just stick close to the staff.

Here's something I would also suggest... this is a website that let's you order footed tights to match your skin tone. I have a few pairs if I ever decide to do a Bunny suit cosplay. They're for dancers so they are pretty sturdy and comfortable.

cosplay WIPs
red (transistor)
maurzbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Destinyamber
大好き

If you want to cosplay a character, do it! Don't let anything stop you.

It could be helpful if maybe you had a friend at the con with you for support and to keep the creeps away from you. They might help you feel safer if you're concerned about that.
Print Shop

ColossalCon
Friday: Pool Party Riven
Saturday: Nana Osaki
Destinyamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
milkcosplay

honestly i feel you!!! i've been used to cosplaying just schoolgirls and boys but lately with two cosplays of mine i've found myself wearing a bikini and a really revealing bodysuit type thing. uhhhh.. my advice?? just work it. idk. i like my body (it could use a little toning, but it works for me) and so i just kind of went with it. just watch out for people trying to be creepy with you because of it, and if you run into any of that, make sure you know you have every right to your body, and if someones trying to take a picture with you with their arm around your waist, etc, anything that you aren't comfortable with, LET THEM KNOW that it isn't okay.
milkcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
kandell

I'm typically pretty modest, but I'll occasionally cosplay a more revealing character. Your options are to modify the design to be more modest (I've done this a little bit) or to just rock it as is. Make sure you're upfront and open about what you're comfortable with for photos. If someone is inappropriate toward you, let them know that it will not be tolerated. If they continue, get con/event staff involved.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
Scunosi

Something to remember is even if you really like the character, if the idea of walking around for 8+ hours in that outfit makes you uncomfortable, it's okay to have your limits. Don't force yourself to do a cosplay even if you really like the character that will make you miserable all day as you try to hide behind people and signage.

Costumes
Amethyst-Steven Universe-nearing completion for Sakuracon
fem!Medic-TF2-nearing completion for Sakuracon
Blaziken-Pokemon-nearing completion for a friend for Sakuracon
Garnet-Steven Universe-only just started, aiming for PAX Prime completion
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
Synaster

You can always modify the design to better fit your comfort level too.
Synaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
MooglePrincess
I'm A Member of S.T.A.R.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaster View Post
You can always modify the design to better fit your comfort level too.
this.

I want to cosplay justice from Guilty but I find one part of her outfit particularity unconventional and potentially offensive to ppl...so I will modify it. Blue Terror.

Past Cosplays in Retouching Mode - Posting Soon:::
Black Mage: Crimsom Robe Vanity Set - FF14: ARR 80%
ANBU Original Design - Naruto 70%
Dark Link - The Legend of Zelda 10%
~~~~~~
Projected Future Cosplays for 2015:::
* Ashe: Model A Build - Megaman ZX Advent 1%
* Keyblade Armor - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep 0%
-Warrior of Light - Dissidia, FF14:AAR Dragoon or Other *Any Suggestions on Characters with armor/masks"
MooglePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
Lady Sundae

I'm gonna wear Ryuko in 2 weeks at a local con. I'll plan on making a vlog about the experience of wearing a revealing outfit (pre con reactions, during con and after). I'll give you the link if you are still interested then

Finished: Classic Fiora, LoL - Kitty Cat Katarina, LoL - Rikku Thief, FF X-2 - Popstar Ahri v1, LoL - Popstar Ahri v2, LoL - Classic Soraka, LoL - Shyvana Championship, LoL - Super Chibi Moon, Sailor Moon -

Currently doing: Ryuko Matoi (Kamui), Kill la Kill - 62%
Paused: Officer Vi, LoL (65%) - Slay Belle Katarina, LoL (80%)

Lady Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
MooglePrincess
I'm A Member of S.T.A.R.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sundae View Post
I'm gonna wear Ryuko in 2 weeks at a local con. I'll plan on making a vlog about the experience of wearing a revealing outfit (pre con reactions, during con and after). I'll give you the link if you are still interested then

Good Lord... I'm guess a skin colored bodysuit underneath? I just don't see how that will be functional in real life XD I feel like it's a malfunction WAITING TO HAPPEN at ANY GIVEN MOMENT.

Someone suggested I cosplay from Kill la Kill. I forgot the character name but I'm looking at this and um *wraps self in finest/thickest cotton coats*. That'd be my Kill cosplay >.>"This is her underneath coats" >.>

Past Cosplays in Retouching Mode - Posting Soon:::
Black Mage: Crimsom Robe Vanity Set - FF14: ARR 80%
ANBU Original Design - Naruto 70%
Dark Link - The Legend of Zelda 10%
~~~~~~
Projected Future Cosplays for 2015:::
* Ashe: Model A Build - Megaman ZX Advent 1%
* Keyblade Armor - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep 0%
-Warrior of Light - Dissidia, FF14:AAR Dragoon or Other *Any Suggestions on Characters with armor/masks"
MooglePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #15
Lady Sundae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooglePrincess View Post
Good Lord... I'm guess a skin colored bodysuit underneath? I just don't see how that will be functional in real life XD I feel like it's a malfunction WAITING TO HAPPEN at ANY GIVEN MOMENT.

Someone suggested I cosplay from Kill la Kill. I forgot the character name but I'm looking at this and um *wraps self in finest/thickest cotton coats*. That'd be my Kill cosplay >.>"This is her underneath coats" >.>
I have a bodysuit yeah, didn't have enough time to make my latex breasts to cover myself. Also, I have altered a bit, mostly on the butt area. Plus, I have boob tape to hold my breasts and avoid scandal at the con.

KLK is really a great anime, I am totaly not into that kind of things but I just loved this one. And the chara design is extremely interesting I guess everyone have a different limit of what he/she is able to show and thats totaly cool :3
Finished: Classic Fiora, LoL - Kitty Cat Katarina, LoL - Rikku Thief, FF X-2 - Popstar Ahri v1, LoL - Popstar Ahri v2, LoL - Classic Soraka, LoL - Shyvana Championship, LoL - Super Chibi Moon, Sailor Moon -

Currently doing: Ryuko Matoi (Kamui), Kill la Kill - 62%
Paused: Officer Vi, LoL (65%) - Slay Belle Katarina, LoL (80%)

Lady Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote