Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Exclamation Cosplaying with skin diseases/injuries

Have you ever cosplayed with an illness or an injury in your skin? Anything that could affect the aestethics of the cosplay you're doing?

I currently have some weird kind of allergy like seborrheic dermatitis in my neck that dries my skin and looks horrible in my test shots and I'm not sure if I'll be cured for the con since the treatment will probably take weeks XP I'll probably cosplay anyway but it may not be as I wanted.

How about you? Have you ever had a situation like that? How did you manage to do it?

"Pero no importa, porque me tomo una Agaromba... ˇY todo me chupa un huevo!"

-Fernandito-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 05-26-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

It doesn't affect my appearance so much, but I have a chronic problem on my palms that has plagued me for twenty years, since I was in middle school. It makes holding things for long periods of time painful, especially props, and generally makes my day uncomfortable if I'm having trouble with it.

What I usually try to do, is I try to keep a medicated lotion to soften the callouses on my palms at all times, and apply it periodically. I also keep a non medicated cream to hold in moisture to apply after it. I treat the lotion and cream like I would any medication that I would have to take several times a day, and I try to be aware of how my hands are feeling at any time.

It DOES make wearing gloves both good (I'm less likely to mess with the problem), and troublesome (if I'm in pain).

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Neo Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon (Planned)
Leliana (Winter Palace) - Dragon Age (Planned)

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Star Wars (Planned)
Warden King Alistair - Dragon Age (10%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

I have acne vulgaris. That and cosplay are the reasons I learned to use makeup, actually. I find that on a normal day being broken out will make me very upset, but having a breakout on a con day just prompts me to slather on the concealer.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

The usual acne, occasional cuts/bruises (it comes with the territory of playing contact sports), minor sunburns (fun times at Colossalcon when I missed a spot with the sunscreen OTL)... but makeup can help that, or completely fix it!
  • Misc. Revamps (Various): 0% (Planning) Otakon 2016
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
Scunosi

I haven't but if I did there's at least some cosplays I wouldn't do, namely those with a lot of paint/makeup. I definitely wouldn't do Amethyst as I wouldn't want body paint interfering with any medication. I probably would also avoid anything that would rub against the area (unless it's covered by bandages) to avoid agitation.

I can get wrapped up in wanting to cosplay even when I don't feel well but if I was physically injured or majorly ill I think I'd have to bite the bullet and just hold off, and go to the con in comfortable clothes instead.

Upcoming Conventions
Hopefully PAX West 2016!
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Penlowe

If you are undergoing treatment, you may not have any choice but to leave it exposed, mixing make up with medicine sounds like a recipe for pain IMO.

I have a friend with vitigligo (I'm not spelling it right) it's essentially albinoism in patches. She tends to pick characters with abnormally colored skin for exactly that reason, to cover or make-up without having to do it in spots. It also burns very easily so she pretty much has to keep it covered from the sun as much as possible anyway. But it's also a permanent condition, it isn't something that can be treated or cured, so there is no issue with make up irritating it.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
xRenascent
That crazy chick

I have a birthmark on my right arm. That said, I've had it since I was born, and even though it's faded quite a bit since I was a baby, it's never stopped me from doing anything at all.

Acne is something else. I have most of my acne under control but I get the occasional breakout (like last week I had two massive breakouts due to stress). I just treat it, cover it with makeup, and move on.

Potential 2016 Cons
Denver Comic Con/Nan Desu Kan

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
Shana05
Survivor

I've been dealing with periungual warts for over a year now. I make no effort to hide it since I don't think people notice it unless I point it out.

Last year, I was in a bad car accident a few weeks before ACEN. My arm was lacerated and required several stitches. The stitches were removed right before the con but I still needed to keep the area bandaged. I just went with it because there wasn't really anything else I could do. I actually think it worked out nicely with my Absol cosplay. Even though I don't need it anymore I still wear the splint when I bring that cosplay out.

A-Kon 2016: Spyro Gijinka (Spyro: Year of the Dragon) - fem!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Rinne ??????
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
kandell

My skin is kind of obnoxious. I have a couple spots on my arms that will get super dry, and then I'm super pale so I sunburn really badly. Thanks to some poor sunscreen application I got awful splotchy sunburns a week before Acen. Luckily the costumes I was wearing that weekend covered up a fair bit, but it was still annoying to deal with. That plus the standard acne problems, and that about sums me up.

At the end of the day, cosplay is about fun. If you have a skin condition, don't worry about. Just make sure you're doing what's right for your body, whether that's skipping makeup, or having bandages, etc.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #10
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Being a horse owner, I get bruises and cuts almost on a daily basis. I've gotten really good at just covering them with makeup. My skin is sensitive, so I have to use sensitive makeup. Because my makeup is made for sensitive skin, it doesn't bother cuts at all. I also have a very small zit right smack in the middle of my forehead between my eyebrows. The zit itself is microscopic, but it's made a red area of skin all around it. Yuck, but nothing that some concealer, foundation, and powder can't fix.

For anyone who is interested, I use Covergirl Clean invisible liquid concealer, liquid foundation, and solid powder. I've never had any bad reactions, even from applying to small open wounds (that aren't bleeding, of course).

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between following the heart (which wears a flower crown and carries a basket of cookies while skipping along a beach) or following the brain (which wears a graduation cap and carries a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Fem!Link from Twilight Princess

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
ZanyGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
I can get wrapped up in wanting to cosplay even when I don't feel well but if I was physically injured or majorly ill I think I'd have to bite the bullet and just hold off, and go to the con in comfortable clothes instead.

Fortunately, my costume covers 100% of my body, so I don't have to worry about showing any skin issues. But unfortunately, it is a hot costume and I do sweat a lot in it, so if I'm not feeling well or have an injury, I probably wouldn't wear it. In fact, I probably wouldn't even go to the convention. There's a costume parade tomorrow and I'll probably skip it because I'm getting over a fever and don't think it would be a good idea to risk overheating.

I'm not big on make-up, so if I couldn't cover something I didn't want seen with a costume element, I would either pick a different costume or just go in normal clothes if it bothered me that much.
ZanyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Ashfire

I have plaque psoriasis, which results in an itchy red rash with lots of peeling and flaking. It's sort of controlled with medication, but I have a lot of scarring on the backs of my shoulders from it.

Covering it with makeup isn't too bad, but mostly I just stick with costumes that cover my shoulders and back.
Ashfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

I've been lucky enough not to have any major skin conditions to plan around. Usually I just have the occasional acne to cover up and that's it.

However, there are two cosplays in which I use my real hair (Fem!France and Fem!Sanji). I have a medical condition where one of the symptoms is hair loss. And it's usually in sporadic patches on my scalp, too. It always grows back but sometimes it's worrisome and always really annoying. So if I'm having a period of time where I'm losing my hair and can't style it for the characters I want without the bald patches showing, I usually avoid cosplaying those characters and pick one where I have a wig to wear. Problem solved.

New Cosplays for 2016:
Titania Asuna (Sword Art Online/Alfheim Online): 50%
Fem!Inumuta (Kill La Kill): 70%

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHwj4oe9OhA
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2016, 04:01 AM   #14
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

A couple years ago my cystic acne got so bad I had to see a dermatologist and get antibiotics and adapalene to kill it. Since I've gotten a little older my skin has calmed down and I only get the occasional pimple here and there, but I still have little scars all over my cheeks. Maybe I can pass them off for freckles?

I was also diagnosed with eczema when I was 10. I've only had three breakouts in my life, but when it flares up, it flares up BAD. Enough for me to call in sick and just lay in a Eucerin cocoon all day.

Friday- Vinyl Scratch (My Little Pony)
Saturday- Raven (Teen Titans)
Saturday night-Zone-tan (Z-TV)
Sunday- Fem! Ness (EarthBound/Super Smash Bros)
TunaTetrazzini is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2016, 11:03 PM   #15
Cl0udy
Bandit

I have Keratosis pilaris on my upper arms, which I've had since I was a small child. Besides the fact that it's slightly red, it's never stopped me from doing anything, and it's definitely gotten better as I've gotten older. I also have tan birthmarks on my right arm, that flick across my chest, but I love them a lot! I have two cosplays that I'm working on right now that both are sleeveless, and i'm looking forward to wearing both of them at cons!

~~~~Look up at the stars and not at your feet. Be curious - Stephen Hawking~~~~

Last edited by Cl0udy : 05-28-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Cl0udy is offline   Reply With Quote