Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
Oragami

Why do I have to have so many cosplay ideas, mbtu no way to make/but them? D:

This year will be the first year ive gone to any sort of conention in cosplay. Not counting Halloween in the cosplay category.

The big idea i have right now are
  1. Cecil (Welcome to Night Vale)
  2. Mark (Rent)
  3. Roger (Rent)
  4. Pokemon (specific one, in a steampunk-ish style)
  5. Human!TARDIS
  6. Dominic Deegan (from Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire webcomic).
  7. The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home
;

Most of those would need something that might not have the money for, or somethign I have the things for, but not being able to look right. Cecil is one of them. I should have a shirt somewherre that would be good, and I could make a vest (one that'll last at least one day (I want to do a different one each day) fairly decently. Problem is not having a sewing machine to make anything Id need. Not sure if I can borrow one for a few days, but if I have to hand-sew it, it might not be ready in time?.

Then theres Dominic and Mark- noth wear sweaters as part of their outfit, and I dont want to get sick 'cause of the heat. Working on trying to find alternatives that would be about the same thickness as a T-shirt would be and how much it wold be. Possibly some at the local Salvation Army (why pay more than Id have to?)

Wanted to cosplay as Cecil for a while at laest since I started listening to Welcome to Night Vale (that was shortly after the clusterfuck that was DashCon.

I might end up mixing the different characters together to come up with something? (like an alternate version of Night Vale..Not that stupid town Desert Bluffs...And if I went with the Faceless Old Woman, id jsut need to get some 'old lady' clohthes for cheap.

*smacks head to desk* I spend way too much time looking at ideas, but not being able to do them because of $$

Maybe one of these days
Oragami is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Since this is your first convention, you might want to go for a popular costume that will gain attention from other con-goers and will be recognizable. The most popular variation that I see would be a Human!TARDIS, since almost everyone at cons either is a fan of Doctor Who or knows what the TARDIS is. It's also present at almost very con, which is a great conversation starter with people who are dressed as the same character!
However, if you aren't one for social interaction, you could focus more on which option will be cheapest/easiest to make. In this case, it would probably be Faceless Old Woman. I haven't the faintest clue who this character is, but if you only need old lady clothes, then these are very easy to find at thrift shops! Also, I totally agree: thrift shops are the best for cosplay.
In any case, I would definitely NOT recommend hand-sewing a vest, especially if you've never hand-sewn a garment before. Trust me, it's very complicated, and you're probably right that you wouldn't finish on time.

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between following the heart (which wears a flower crown and carries a basket of cookies while skipping along a beach) or following the brain (which wears a graduation cap and carries a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Fem!Link from Twilight Princess

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
kandell

If you can't make, you can always buy. You could check this site's marketplace or ebay for costumes, or find someone to commission it from.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
Oragami

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandell View Post
If you can't make, you can always buy. You could check this site's marketplace or ebay for costumes, or find someone to commission it from.
I dont have the money to do things like that. Ive checked the marketplace out a few times and seen some good stuff, but at the time I didt see a need for it, and now I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseandzippin View Post
Since this is your first convention, you might want to go for a popular costume that will gain attention from other con-goers and will be recognizable. The most popular variation that I see would be a Human!TARDIS, since almost everyone at cons either is a fan of Doctor Who or knows what the TARDIS is. It's also present at almost very con, which is a great conversation starter with people who are dressed as the same character!
However, if you aren't one for social interaction, you could focus more on which option will be cheapest/easiest to make. In this case, it would probably be Faceless Old Woman. I haven't the faintest clue who this character is, but if you only need old lady clothes, then these are very easy to find at thrift shops! Also, I totally agree: thrift shops are the best for cosplay.
In any case, I would definitely NOT recommend hand-sewing a vest, especially if you've never hand-sewn a garment before. Trust me, it's very complicated, and you're probably right that you wouldn't finish on time.

Actually not my first convention, jsut the first one Id be able to cosplay at. I went to SDCC abotu...1 years ago, and A-Kon 6 years ago. I rarely have the money to do something like this : Volunteering and someone else driving me are the only thigns getting me there this year.

If I know the person has some of the same interests as me, that helps a whole hell of a lot. Seen a few people with DW shirts on around here, and one in a Welcome to Night Vale one I think even a little kid dressed as Eleven

I would really want to go the Human!TARDIS direction, but the pictures ive seen of others tha tpoeple have made to get an idea of what Id like all require things that I cant afford to buy (this year anyway). Some things I could swap out for the usual materials, but I dont really want to chance it. If I had a hula-hoop I could 'sacrefice it' and get a half-assed hoopskirt?

The Faceless Old Woman is pretty much what her 'name' says. Shes a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home and messes with the books or tries to kill you if you got elected Mayor of NIght Vale instead of her.

Just about every time i go to the lcoal Salvation Amy I give the suits a look to see if tehes anything taht coul dbe in the Doctor Who category of things. Found a coat that would work for Castiel but it was too small D: (was going to say Cas is in Supernatural just inc ase you didnt know who they were, but your signature makes it seem like you do )

I have sewn clothes by hand, but its been a while. Takes too loing for my liiking, and it could be a whiole before I see a mistake and need to redo something.
Oragami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Penlowe

My girls did Cecil & Kevin for ComiCon here last year. The awesome part about WTNV is there is no cannon visual, you can portray him any way you want! There are occasional mentions of clothing, but they are so few and frankly really random (Fashion Week he mentions sleeping in leather pants and a Hawaiian shirt...) that you can get away with anything. 75% of these outfits were thrift store finds, then they painted. I only directed and provided the wallet. Both together, with paint purchases, were under $70 (make up was probably the biggest single expense, but I bought good theater stuff).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtnv 012.jpg (161.1 KB, 0 views)
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
Undertaker^^
Wendigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oragami View Post
The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home
^ THAT causes me to come out of my being a lurker just to make note of THAT, i don't wan't no creepy old faceless ladies creeping in my home D:

side note: Which specific pokemon?
Unread 04-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Quote:
I would really want to go the Human!TARDIS direction, but the pictures ive seen of others tha tpoeple have made to get an idea of what Id like all require things that I cant afford to buy (this year anyway). Some things I could swap out for the usual materials, but I dont really want to chance it. If I had a hula-hoop I could 'sacrefice it' and get a half-assed hoopskirt?
Yes, you can! I saw a tutorial once about how to do it... Let me see if I can find it... This isn't the exact tutorial, but it's the same concept! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=brNCuA5TovA However, you don't necessarily need a hoopskirt. You could easily use a shorter version, like a TARDIS blue skater dress. Or, one of these concoctions with a white shirt, and on the shirt, you can put your "Police Box" lettering...

Quote:
Just about every time i go to the lcoal Salvation Amy I give the suits a look to see if tehes anything taht coul dbe in the Doctor Who category of things. Found a coat that would work for Castiel but it was too small D: (was going to say Cas is in Supernatural just inc ase you didnt know who they were, but your signature makes it seem like you do )
Yes, I know! Fem!Cas was my first cosplay. Actually, it might be okay to get a small coat if you're planning on leaving it open. I left mine open and tied the belt in the back underneath the coat... here's a picture http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3543380/ You can't see the tied belt really well in this pic, but it's tied in the back, in-between the shirt and the coat. If you go with Cas, I can give you the name of the seller for my wings, if you want!

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between following the heart (which wears a flower crown and carries a basket of cookies while skipping along a beach) or following the brain (which wears a graduation cap and carries a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Fem!Link from Twilight Princess

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel

Last edited by roseandzippin : 04-30-2016 at 02:58 PM.
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote