Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
OtakuKuroba

Question Conventions - Where do you put your own stuff?

If you've read my previous post, you will know that this is my first ever cosplay for an anime/gaming convention

The cosplay I'm wearing has no pockets whatsoever, and I'll be holding a sword as well so I don't think I'll be able to carry things. My sister, who is also going with me, has 4 pockets for her cosplay but I'm worried that it'll be too troublesome for her to carry our phones, cameras, money/cards and all that stuff. I considered bringing a bag but I think it would look really out of place with my character. I'll be doing some shopping at my convention and I need to have a cellphone on me for emergency reasons, and of course a camera to take pictures with/of other people.

For cosplayers that attend conventions, what do you guys usually do about the stuff that you carry like cellphones? Or do you just bring nothing at all?
OtakuKuroba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Don't ever bring nothing at all, just as an fyi. But it varies widely. Some cosplayers have no problem with using bags (many will make or carry ones that match the costume), some have pockets, some make sure to incorporate hidden pockets, some use their friends, some make hollows in props to carry things, and some just use the shopping bags you frequently get given when getting your badge or from the dealer's room (it's not as common now as it used to be at cons, but you usually get your con program given to you in a plastic bag, that can double to hold some purchases).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Synaster

At the conventions I went to, I brought a Nightmare Before Christmas messenger bag. Not only did it carry money and my phone, but also a water bottle, granola bars, keys, glasses case, the convention booklet, a travel-size sewing kit (just in case), dvds to get signed by a voice actor who didn't turn up at the time he was supposed to, and it has space for anything I decided to buy.

I should look into making a smaller bag, though...
Synaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I use a bag..But I try to also cosplay characters WITH pockets and bags..Like I do Sora, I picked him because he has bags..I can carry stuff in them..lol I also picked characters like Yui (K-On!) because I can use my school bag I bought for that cosplay and it isn't out of place, since she has one in the series..If my character happens to not have pockets, I will wither have a friend hold my stuff if they are hanging out with me the whole time (like before I fixed my Sora bags, my Xemnas has 2 pockets and held my stuff), and if not then I use a bag I decked out. I have a Yugioh one and then a Cloud one and a Sora one I drew. Neither bag goes with ANYTHING..What I do is set the bag down and pose..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Nothing wrong with having a bag. I used to try to make/take a matching bag with my cosplay, but I just don't care and neither do many of the people who ask for my picture.

Last year I brought a tablet case which was just big enough for my phone, a pouch containing my credit cards, cash and ID, and a few other things.

In Progress:
  • Sailor Star Healer (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
  • Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
  • [Secret Project]

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
OtakuKuroba

Since I'm cosplaying as Trafalgar Law, I had contemplated making a Chopper-shaped/themed bag and tie it to my sword/head but then I remembered my craft skills are terrible and have no idea as to how I should make a bag ;__; But thanks all for the suggestions - I think I'll bring a large One Piece Supernova themed bag so I can carry stuff in it easily
OtakuKuroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 02:26 AM   #7
HikariQuartz

I just take a small everyday bag, and just set it down for photos. It's good if the character you're cosplaying as pockets, a bag etc. but if they don't just take a normal bag and make sure you put it down somewhere you can see it for photos.
HikariQuartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
MirniMausi
Just live more

I always have my usual messenger bag with me. It's not pretty, but it has tons of space and if someone wants to take a photo, I'll just put it aside (or, if I or my friends wear a princess dress, I hide it underneath, lol).

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Depending on the stuff I need, I carry my everyday purse(which is about the size of a small hobo bag) or a huge day bag. I'm one of the people that really don't care about getting a bag that matches because it won't be in the pictures anyway.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
lelechan

At the last con I went to, I brought my everyday bag, which happened to coordinate with my costume (I was Rarity from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, my bag is a Zecora messenger bag).
lelechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

I try to modify how much stuff I bring depending on which character I'm dressed as. For example, at AWA last weekend, at one point I dressed as a character who canonically carried a purse, so I could bring a ton of stuff, including snacks and my friend's 3DS. That same weekend, I dressed as the same character in another outfit, which is basically just a glorified bikini. I was already carrying a sword prop and didn't want to deal with a bunch of stuff, so I just put my debit card and hotel room key in my con badge sleeve.

Just in general, though, I like to bring a tote bag (if I can make it match the character or series, all the better) with my cash, keys, and phone in it. There's no need to bring your entire wallet or anything, imo. It just gets heavy after a while.

Geek Media Expo
Mami | Satsuki (Override) | Satsuki (Nudist Beach) | Bertholdt
Shadocon
Satsuki (Nudist Beach) | Ymir | Seijuro
Yama-con
Dagger | Ymir

schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
mqnania
Baller

I usually bring a small backpack to carry the essentials and try to match it with my cosplay colors if I can. That way for photos the most you'll usually see if the backpack straps. I tend to carry backpacks with thinner straps too.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3386592/ My friend and I are both carrying Pokemon backpacks in this photo

2014 Con Schedule:
Naka kon-Anime Central-Anime Nebraskon

Anime Nebraskon 2014 Cosplays:
-Firefox Ahri from League of Legends: 20%
-Ryuko Mataoi from Kill La Kill: 75%
mqnania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
CautiousAmber

It varies on the day for me! I usually dont carry a bag on Friday since I dont purchase much on the first day. I'll just keep my money, phone, and camera with me (either in my hand or i'll stick my phone/money in my bra ><). If someone stops me for a picture, I can just hand my camera to one of my friends.

I do carry a bag often though! And it's honestly doesnt take away from the cosplay, as long as you are able to move it out of the way for pictures, or take turns carrying it with a friend.
- Homestuck: Feferi Peixes

Upcoming Events:
Nebraskon 2014, Katsucon 2015, Nakakon 2015, Colossalcon 2015

TUMBLR / FACEBOOK / COSPIX

Last edited by CautiousAmber : 10-01-2014 at 12:11 PM.
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Incorporating a bag into a cosplay is ideal, but that doesn't always work. Sewing in hidden pockets is always my next choice.

All else fails, just use any bag and put it down when asked for a photo.
Unread 10-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I just buy everything at the con (food and drink wise) so usually I only need to carry my phone and a small wallet that holds credit cards and cash. Both of these just fit in my pockets (thankfully Jack Sparrow's costume has plenty of pockets and hiding places included lol). I would say to condense whenever possible. If you don't need every single thing that you have in your bag, then don't carry it around the convention center. This works better if you have a hotel room at or near the con (eg. you can keep your emergency sewing kit, snacks, extra socks etc in the room and just go back to get them as needed).

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote