Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #1
Cl0udy
Princess

Dreadlocks

I'm thinking about cosplaying Sasha from Tales from the Borderlands, but I've hit a pot hole, I don't know what to do about her dreads. If I find a wig, will that be cultural appropriation, but if I don't and just find a straight wig will that be considered white washing? I don't want to offend anyone If I end up cosplaying her ;-;
http://i.imgur.com/9iv7Mmg.png
Maya - Borderlands 2 %70

Characters I'd love to Cosplay!:
Lara Croft - Tomb Raider 2013
Zer0 - Borderlands 2
Haru (sailor outfit) - Free!
Fem-Makoto - Free!

~~~~~~Look up at the stars and not at your feet. Be curious - Stephen Hawking~~~~~~
Cl0udy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #2
lemuries

As a costumer, my cosplay goal is complete and perfect accuracy. If it were my cosplay, I would find a way to make a wig of dreads. If someone wanted to harass me about cultural appropriation, I would probably be really hurt that someone wanted to ruin the experience. Then I would point out that I was not cosplaying Sasha to demean her, but to laud her. I chose Sasha because I think she's a powerful, amazing woman who I want to be. It's not mockery, it's mimicry. I want everyone to see how awesome Sasha is, and that's why I brought her to life in me.

If they can't see that, I don't need to keep talking to them. I don't need the respect of people I don't respect. My cosplay is bringing myself closer to that character. I am doing it for myself, and that character. I am not doing it for them. They don't get a say.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #3
Padmik
mikky

Eeehhh, I can see why you'd be concerned, but gonna have to say that you'll probably be fine. I've never seen anyone complain to cosplayers wearing dreads with their cosplays. There's tons of white Michonne cosplayers who wear the dreads and no one cares (at least I don't). Then again, I personally don't care what hairstyles people wear as long as they take care of their hair and aren't weird about it.

You'll be alright.

[Tumblr] [Instagram] [Wordpress]

2015 Conventions
DragonCon, AWA

In Progress Cosplays
Honekoneko - PaSwG 85% | Barbara Gordon (2014) - DC 5% | GoGo Tomago - BH6 70% | Chef!Haru - Free! 50%
Korra - LoK 85% | Flame Princess - Adventure Time 50% | Barbara Gordon - Yougng Justice 5% | Touka - Tokyo Ghoul 0%

Last edited by Padmik : Yesterday at 07:52 AM.
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:11 AM   #4
Syon

I never associated this hairstyle to be exclusivly for one cultur. I see many people with an alternative lifestyle wearing dreadlocks at my university. Usually the type of people you associate with great interest in political or environment topics.
If someone gets offended by a hairstyle, the problem is on their side, not on yours.
Unread Yesterday, 08:59 AM   #5
Roo17
Mummy Gnu

my very caucasian, very ginger son had dreadlocks for a while in his teens, at least here in the UK it is a hairstyle that spans cultures
Unread Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #6
lindseyleigh828

I think I saw a wig that might work in the harajuku in wonderland store
lindseyleigh828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #7
ilafatyu
That guy

It might be different in Germany/UK/Australia, but in the US it's a hairstyle generally reserved for people whose hair can hold the style, ie black people. There's a movement toward non-black people not having it. Since white hair doesn't hold the style naturally and people often don't know how to maintain it, it gives dreads an image of being unkept, dirty, etc.

The differences in perception are really interesting, when you think about it. Other countries mentioned above might not have the black population that the US does, so there's not really the connection made. Or they might. I don't know, I don't live there. xD

On the topic of the wig! I think it'd be better to find a dreaded wig.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: Otakuten Ball+Dance

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 5%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #8
InstantChill
Doesn't Read The Manga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafatyu View Post
It might be different in Germany/UK/Australia, but in the US it's a hairstyle generally reserved for people whose hair can hold the style, ie black people. There's a movement toward non-black people not having it. Since white hair doesn't hold the style naturally and people often don't know how to maintain it, it gives dreads an image of being unkept, dirty, etc.

The differences in perception are really interesting, when you think about it. Other countries mentioned above might not have the black population that the US does, so there's not really the connection made. Or they might. I don't know, I don't live there. xD

On the topic of the wig! I think it'd be better to find a dreaded wig.
This but as long as the actual wig looks good you should be fine, the worst thing I have ever seen when a guy just basically threw a mop on his head and called it dreads
InstantChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #9
lemuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantChill View Post
This but as long as the actual wig looks good you should be fine, the worst thing I have ever seen when a guy just basically threw a mop on his head and called it dreads
Now that's a great example of someone not showing respect for the character! If you put time and effort and money into making it accurate, it's hard to look like you have no respect for the character.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #10
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafatyu View Post
(...) Since white hair (...)
Why am I needing a wig for Whitemane again? (sorry, couldn't resist )

But US or not, I still think its stupid to mock someone over their hairstyle choice. In fact, I think this is actually making things worse for everyone, as it further seperates the population into groups that are considered completely different, instead of one population where it happens that people have a huge varity of apperance.

And now that I come to think about this... What would members of this movement say, if someone now expects them to not straigthen their hair, as this is in reverse not a common hairstyle for them? And in terms of cosplay, I feel like its just as bad as telling a black cosplayer she can't chose a blond straight wig, because thats a "white hairstyle".

Its so weird...

Last edited by Syon : Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote