Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 09-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #1531
Transgression
WHERE IS DON RADEON?
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaruhime
Cosplay elitist groups.

Not as a whole, but about some of their members in particular. I know there are several of these groups out there, and a lot of the cosplayers are nice, but some have the most gigantic pole ever produced shoved up their l33t arses.

I was at a con earlier this year where there was a well-known elitist cosplay group. One of the more prominent members was conceited and snubbed several people. Actually, two of them, but one more than the other. However, one of the members--one who is sometimes overlooked because of the more prominent members--was a total sweetheart and talked to my friend and me for several minutes.

Bottomline: elitist cosplay groups and not God's gift to con-goers. It pisses me off when they believe otherwise.
See, the good news there is I have yet to bump in to any real elitists who've said the wrong thing to me. Met jerks, yeah, but my temper is too firey. I hate it when people elevate themselves. I'd fight (win or lose) your* whole clique if you think for a second your cosplaying abilities make you a better and/or cooler person than me.

* = Generalization
Transgression is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 09-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #1532
AJREDDSON
Banned
 
AJREDDSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 412
People who assume that cosplaying “must” be anime related. If it’s a costume, no matter what the background, it should still be treated the same, no matter what.
AJREDDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #1533
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized
 
Hsien-Ko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 441
hum..i know i already posted so sorry ^^''

hum.. well I'd say that alot of ppl don't like cosplayers without wigs.. me for example.. I'd love to get wigs but I don't have the money for it.. n dying my hair over n over again is really bad OO so for my ceras n my a.b.a costume i didn't have a wig. n I must say that I was a bit sad because i didn't.

Also,has you mentioned,ppl that snob others.it happened to me at CNAnime..i'm not going to mention who snobed me,but he wasn't on my cool ppl sign (ppl autographed my lil cardboard sign,thanks alot!)

hum..one of my pet peeve,but I think it's been said,it's when you ask a person about how they did their amazing costume n they just glare at you n walk off >.< can't we be nice to one another??

besides that I found alot of very sweet n nice ppl at CNAnime ^^ even a girl that hugged me twice!! n she asked before lol

hummm...also I'd like to say oO I might have offended ppl with my "bad" costumes lol I'm getting way better at sewing but i'm still a novice oO ...it's not really bad is it? lmao i'm able to make cool fleece hat! ^^ n i'm working hard on my costume. gathering up everything before starting.
__________________
Anime North 2013: Shuurei from Saiungoku Monogatari: 0%
Otakuthon 2013 : Cristina Vespucci (Assassin's Creed): 0%
G-Anime 2013: Zelda from Skyward Sword: 5% and Princess Serenity: 100%

Last edited by Hsien-Ko : 09-09-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #1534
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan
 
Hikaruhime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJREDDSON
People who assume that cosplaying “must” be anime related. If it’s a costume, no matter what the background, it should still be treated the same, no matter what.
So true. It's cosplay... costume play. Heck, when you look at it that way, dressing up as a ghost on Halloween is costume play. If it were only for anime, it'd be aniplay or something. Yeah, I'm bad at naming things. XD
__________________
UPCOMING CONVENTIONS:
Tulsa Comic Expo // Tulsa, OK
A-Kon // Dallas, TX
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games


Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #1535
Runi-Chan
*pondering*
 
Runi-Chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol

On to my next pet peeve: Bathrobe cosplay. A bathrobe is not a kimono, nor is it a haori. The texture doesn't suit any costumes that I can think of.
.

It is if you're cosplaying Arthur Dent (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). XD But only if you have the towel.
Okay, I only remembered that because I'm a huge dork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuhaki
So those people only cosplay as anime characters? Lame. And ATLA is so very much an anime. I'm working on an Aang costume that should be done in a month. ;D
Okay, I have to do this.

ZOMG! AANG! Please post pictures when you are finished. Add to the ranks of Avatar cosplayers! VIVA LA AVATAR! I'd say I'd tackelglomp you, but that's not Toph's character.
Not unless it's Sokka that she's tackleglomping, XD

....okay, I'll stop. People are looking at me funny now. XP
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #1536
archergirl2000
Crazy Insomniac
 
archergirl2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 258
I'd say my worst pet peeve is people making rude comments about your costume, and not even bothering to keep their voices down. I can understand if the girl didn't like my costume but did she need to make loud snide remarks when I'm standing right there?

I was expecting some remarks, because I did the school uniform from Bible Black at my last con, so I thought some people might not like it. The thing was my outfit was in no way skanky, in fact I modified the skirt to be longer because it's so short in the series. It was funny how I got snide remarks because of a hentai cosplay yet when there was guys doing yaoi stuff, the same people who made comments were cheering the boys on. Give me a break people, I worked hard on my costume and I'm not running around naked or anything, so grow up.


That felt good to rant about I must say
archergirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #1537
Raouken
Registered User
 
Raouken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 267
You know what I hate? When people get mad at you for making a good costume, simply because they're too lazy to make one themselves. A friend and me are pretty much banned from cosplay competitions here, because we're 'too professional' Now, let's look at that statement.

1. We've only been cosplaying/sewing for 2 years. We've learned from our moms, we've never had sewing classes from a professional and when our moms teached us all they knew, we found out the rest by ourselves.

2. We're not rich. All the fabrics and materials are every day stuff and really cheap.

3. We give workshops and have replied to emails countless times explaining exactly how we make everything, what we use, where we buy our stuff..everything. So, everyone can make what we make. They just don't do it, because they're too lazy to invest the time and hard work that we do invest. So, because we work our asses off, we're 'too professional' It's just freaking mean! Do they know how hard we work on our costumes? Have they seen the scars I have from heavy, uncomfy costumes? Of course they have, but they don't freaking care because they believe they should get the same rewards and costumes we do, only without working. Well sorry, but that's not going to happen. Life doesn't work that way, if you want to stand out, you have to work harder than the rest.

Unfortunately, the people who organize the anime cons and fantasy events here don't seem to understand that..we've never had a problem like that-or all the other jealousness and negativity-in Germany..seriously, we went to the Animagic and everyone was so sweet and respectful! The only negative remarks we got was from, guess who? The Dutch and Belgium people who went with us.

Seriously, what's so hard about admiring and be respectful to cosplayers if they're better than you? And then get home and be inspired and work to make a gorgeous outfit like that? We saw some amazing Paradise Kiss cosplayers at the Animagic, and they were so incredibly sweet, not jealous at all, we saw each other as fellow cosplayers, people who work hard on their costumes and not at all as competition. Why can't everyone be like that?
Raouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #1538
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized
 
Hsien-Ko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 441
Quote:
I was expecting some remarks, because I did the school uniform from Bible Black at my last con
aawwww.. so I missed your awsome costume at this CNAnime? >< sucks.. I didn't get time to see everything because I was following my boyfriend close.. the place was so big I didn't wanna get lost! O.O it was also my second con!

I know I post alot but I seem to forget alot of stuff >< hum...one of my pet peeves is when you get chosen for those anime games.I got chosen for alot of those games by total luck or because I raised my arm up fast n I heard people grumble in the back because I was infront alot!

It's not really my fault is it if the people picked my number?? geez ppl! He even told me not to play when,for the 2nd game he picked my number cause he said it wouldn't be fair.

Or ppl that sighed extremely loud or grumbled when i named an anime that had nothing to do with the song... I couldn't of possibly have watched aaallllll the anime in the world! People should...respect my ignorance??? If they knew why I can't get alot of anime they'd feel pretty bad for sighing at me. ><

People making loud comments on other people's costume that makes me mad..I didn't hear any at CNAnime,probably because I was too much amazed by all the beautiful costumes n loads of cool stuff to even notice! lol Lots of people like me,with extremely low budget,do their best to make a costume close to the anime character as possible.So people that whisper a bit too loud " look at that costume?She made it look so bad! This n that isn't painted right..blablabla" this just makes me want to wack them with my giant prop!

Next summer I am going to Otakuthon n AnimeNorth.. I hope people will be nicer! lol
__________________
Anime North 2013: Shuurei from Saiungoku Monogatari: 0%
Otakuthon 2013 : Cristina Vespucci (Assassin's Creed): 0%
G-Anime 2013: Zelda from Skyward Sword: 5% and Princess Serenity: 100%
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #1539
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head
 
Tikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raouken
Seriously, what's so hard about admiring and be respectful to cosplayers if they're better than you? And then get home and be inspired and work to make a gorgeous outfit like that? We saw some amazing Paradise Kiss cosplayers at the Animagic, and they were so incredibly sweet, not jealous at all, we saw each other as fellow cosplayers, people who work hard on their costumes and not at all as competition. Why can't everyone be like that?
It's called envy. And sorry, you'll just have to live with it as does any other successful cosplayer does anywhere else.
For years, the former cosplay coordinator at Katsucon (Sue Shambaugh) would tell me about emails she received every year petitioning for my boyfriend and me to be excluded from competitions because we won an award every year. And yet people back stage were always friendly with us...

And for all those who complain about elitism, this is the other end of it. Before you get up in arms, I'll try to garble my way through a very complicated opinion I've had for years. First, there are all skill levels in cosplay. You've got beginners, the newbies who are picking up the hobby and bumbling their way and just trying to have fun. Then you have the intermediates who have started to learn proper sewing techniques and start looking at the details of the costume a lot more. There's the advanced group which are the cosplayers who make very well-made costumes and start to pride themselves on their skills. Then you have the masters, who just go the extra mile and seem to make amazing costumes regardless of difficulty. They know exactly what they're doing, or at least seem that way in public.
And EVERYONE from all skill levels is looking at one another. And we all have our own opinions. Some of us are voicing them and there is never a concensus. In fact, there is a lot of disagreement on so many things like wig/no wig, sneakers vs. boot covers/made shoes, proper fabric choice, cheap vs. expensive materials, sexy vs. skanky, bought vs. self-made, accutate vs. close enough details... etc. I could spend a while and go through this whole thread but I won't. The main point is that we don't all agree and a lot of people take it personally. One person makes a comment (to a friend, at a con, on a blog/ML/LJ/web forum), it gets spread around and ta-da, person #1 is getting tagged as an elitist when someone doesn't agree with that opinion.
This may seem extreme, but it's true.
All the complaints on this site about elitism really bother me. Who's to say that because I have LOTS of opinions, that I am/am not an elitist cosplayer? Or YOU, or anyone else here? Anything you do at a con or voice on-line can be used against you, even when you had no intentions on hurting someone's feelings with a comment, that you carry yourself with a lot of self-confidence, casually walk by someone trying to get your attention and not notice, bask in the attention that a cool costume will bring you, etc.
Someone has once complained about the "elitist" behavior back stage at a competition. Well, what if that person was shy, or didn't know anyone else? Or just not comfortable enough to approach others? Or it's a costume that makes everything uncomfortable? I don't know about you guys, but when I feel like my feet are ready to die, or I have a back ache or head ache, I'm not all that sociable. I totally appreciate anyone back stage that offers help like water, a snack or aspirin, but I certainly don't ask anyone I don't know to help me. When my costume is giving me issues, I'd rather focus on fixing it than talking to anyone back stage. What about the rest of you? Ever have those moments? What do you think a person will think of your behavior when they approach you and all you can focus on is your problem or discomfort. You won't be that friendly... And that person leaves with a bad impression. That's all it takes.
*sighs* It's even worse when you take on the responsibilities of judging or staffing. Every comment you make can be used against you, even confidential remarks between judges. I've seen that sort of stuff bantered around and I just cringe. Judging is not easy and you have to be very critical. There's a REASON judges are sequestered away from the masses. What they say can be harsh and is NOT meant for outside conversations.
Anyway, I just wanted to make my opinion on elistism, in a different way. I personally have never dealt with anyone who's made me feel bad about my costumes. I've been in awe by others' amazing skills, but never put down, let down or otherwise insulted. I am sad to hear all the stories about such instances from others, but I've never seen such nastiness in action. What I have seen is a lot of really good cosplayers get terrible reputations. I've seen a few fade away from cons altogether just to avoid the drama.
Tikki
__________________
Anime Mid-Atlantic Cosplay Events team leader
Street Fighter Revival @ Otakon '06: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9R_LWTxJc
Project Dead or Alive @ Katsucon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XVAuJ9mlog & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxly2lD8f0s
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #1540
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist
 
Kaijugal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,489
Awsome post Tikki,

You've made some very true and valid points here that I think people often ignore.

Cheers!
__________________
COSTUME-CON 32 - 2014

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
***
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #1541
Raouken
Registered User
 
Raouken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 267
I agree with you too, Tikki..and while I typed the 'why can't we all be like that' thing, I though 'yeah right, that's a bit too optimistic, people simply aren't like that' because unfortunately envy is just a part of human nature..the negativity used to really bother me and put me off costuming, but now I don't let it stop me having fun anymore-they're just jealous and..well, stupid. And if I can't compete here in Holland anymore, fine, I'll just go to Germany, France and England..I still don't like people being rude and negative(well, duh)but I can live with it..

still, I think it's stupid for people to waste their energy getting mad at people who make good costumes, instead of using it to make good stuff themselves..expecially when all the information and help is handed to you..
Raouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #1542
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head
 
Tikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raouken
still, I think it's stupid for people to waste their energy getting mad at people who make good costumes, instead of using it to make good stuff themselves..expecially when all the information and help is handed to you..
And it's that opinion that can get you labeled, too! *sighs* When I hear anyone complain about so-and-so always winning awards, my only thought is to say, "Then do something better! Beat them next time!"
If a cosplayer is a constant award winner, then that means he/she is doing something that impresses the various panels of judges on a consistent basis, be it crafting skills, a good presentation or a combination of both. As only the coordinator and various con staff know who's on the judging panel at any given event, no cosplayer can truly go into a competition expecting favoritism. And yet that's one of the most common complaints I hear thru the grapevine.
So Raouken, in your situation, you mentioned that you were considered too "professional." Why? Because you make well-constructed costumes or do you sell costumes/props for an income...? From what I've read and seen, professional skill level is actually used at many large competitions and it's normally not considered competitively against the other divisions. BUT no one can put you in such a category if you aren't a professional seamstress...
And that's a whole other wasp nest of contention right there, cause when does that "professional" status apply to a cosplayer with all the costume sales on ebay and prop sites popping up on line? What's the difference when someone sells an old costume versus making a costume to sell on Ebay/personal website after wearing it only once or twice? Or selling it brand new? There's so many degrees to the term professional that it's another argument that's be revisited too many times and never settled.
Tikki
__________________
Anime Mid-Atlantic Cosplay Events team leader
Street Fighter Revival @ Otakon '06: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9R_LWTxJc
Project Dead or Alive @ Katsucon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XVAuJ9mlog & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxly2lD8f0s
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #1543
Raouken
Registered User
 
Raouken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 267
I don't sell my costumes, the only stuff I sell is doll sized costumes, not human sized..and I've never had sewing classes and was never teached by a professional, so I'm not professional in any way. I want to be one day, yes, but that's something entirely different from actually being professional already.

But well, yes, what you said about 'beat them(or in this case, me XD) next time!' that's what I think too, when people make remarks like that. But that makes me an elitist or something? O.O
Raouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #1544
mizuhaki
Registered User
 
mizuhaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box
Okay, I have to do this.

ZOMG! AANG! Please post pictures when you are finished. Add to the ranks of Avatar cosplayers! VIVA LA AVATAR! I'd say I'd tackelglomp you, but that's not Toph's character.
Not unless it's Sokka that she's tackleglomping, XD

....okay, I'll stop. People are looking at me funny now. XP
OMG! Toph cosplayer! I love ATLA to death! Very few people cosplay as characters from ATLA. I've barely started on the costume, though. I only have the fabrics, the bald cap, and the cinema-magic stuff that the guy told me to buy( so it looks real ;P). I'll definitly post pictures if you will! Aang would probably tackleglomp Toph.
mizuhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #1545
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head
 
Tikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raouken
I don't sell my costumes, the only stuff I sell is doll sized costumes, not human sized..and I've never had sewing classes and was never teached by a professional, so I'm not professional in any way. I want to be one day, yes, but that's something entirely different from actually being professional already.

But well, yes, what you said about 'beat them(or in this case, me XD) next time!' that's what I think too, when people make remarks like that. But that makes me an elitist or something? O.O
Well, I see why they are labeling you. Just the fact the you sell anything that you made by hand... But having formal lessons in sewing doesn't make anyone a professional. The quality of your work and that you can sell it is what matters and like my last post, it's such a gray area when it comes to cosplay and what folks do to make a little extra money. Why not exploit our talents a bit for some extra $$ if given the chance? I've made two costumes as a commission one summer and recently sold a few cosplay accessories like cat ears just to earn some extra cash at a con. But I don't consider myself a professional. Others may argue with that... *shrugs*

As for being called an elitist because of your opinions, I don't think you can escape it. Nor can I or any other cosplayer who strives for the spotlight at a convention. Anyone who likes to compete a lot will face the same thing. And those who are a recognizable fixture in the convention hallways for photo ops... the list goes on. Basically once you reach that point where folks stop encouraging you to keep on trying and then start asking YOU questions on how you did something or want to know what you think, then you're going to be scrutinized for every thing you say, how you treat your friends or complete strangers, and just about anything you do.
You can do something as simple as NOT NOTICING someone asking for a photo while you're walking and you can get labeled as pretentious. You can be having the worst day ever, be in the worst mood and be called a b*tch behind your back because you just weren't friendly at the time. It unfortunately doesn't take much.
Tikki
__________________
Anime Mid-Atlantic Cosplay Events team leader
Street Fighter Revival @ Otakon '06: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9R_LWTxJc
Project Dead or Alive @ Katsucon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XVAuJ9mlog & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxly2lD8f0s
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Copyright 2002-2017 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.