Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 327 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 09-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #1531
kyandi
shoujo fiend :D

Lack of respect.

Upcoming Costumes:
Momo Adachi (Peach Girl), Rikku (FFX) ,Rinoa (FFVIII)

Feel free to PM me. =D Especially all of you New England cosplayers.
kyandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #1532
SchizoIori
visual antagonist

Ok I'm sure my pet peeves are the same as others in the thread, but i definitely agree that one of mine is when people leave out like the shoes or hair from a costume. That's as much a part of the character as the rest.

I do agree that it kinda gives other cosplayers a bad name when there's all the girls (and guys) that run around in slutted up costumes just to get attention. That doesn't bring any type of positive attention to the cosplay community.

Another pet peeve is the high and mighty attitude some cosplayers get about simple cosplay. Not only is it rude to bash on someone else's costume, but it's disrespectful. Some people might want to have the cosplay but don't have the means or haven't developed the skills yet to make something complex.

Current Projects:

Dissidia Duodecim Tifa Lockheart,Petz/ Prizma (sailor moon R), Trunks (DBZ), Nami (Water 7),Black Canary (Batman/JL) Black Cat
SchizoIori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #1533
mizuhaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box
Pet peeve.....

...people who get ticked when others don't recognize their costume. I mean, seriously, not everyone has seen the shows that you have or read the manga that you have. I mention Kurogane to some of my friends and they go, "You mean, like, the guy from Tsubasa? 'Cause that's Kurogane".
At my last con, I met a nice girl while waiting in the cosplay contest line, and we got along well, until she asked me who I was cosplaying as. I didn't mind at all, and told her I was Haruno Sakura from Naruto. Then I said I didn't know who she was cosplaying as either, and she got all huffy puffy. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box
..and, this one's more about fans, but I'm tired of people going, "Avatar's not anime, why cosplay from it?"
..because I like the show and it's got good character design? Duh...Cosplay doesn't have to be just from anime.
So those people only cosplay as anime characters? Lame. And ATLA is so very much an anime. I'm working on an Aang costume that should be done in a month. ;D
mizuhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #1534
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

I hate when people snub your costume because you're one of many cosplayers dressed as that character. At Anime North 2006, I was cosplaying as Edward Elric of FMA, and a pair of non-cosplayers walked by me. One said to the other, "There are too many Eds this year" or something of that nature. Hey, at least I was more accurate than a lot of them. D: Some were wearing RED BATHROBES. I actually took the time to hand-stitch an entire metre of vinyl so I could make an accurate belt. Appreciate me! T_T

On to my next pet peeve: Bathrobe cosplay. A bathrobe is not a kimono, nor is it a haori. The texture doesn't suit any costumes that I can think of.

And my last one for today: running shoes with cosplay, especially beat-up ones. If you can't make boot covers or find an accurate pair of shoes, fine. But at least go to Goodwill and find some cheap, generic black boots. Footwear can make or break your cosplay.
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #1535
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

My mom actually thought that when I was referring to a kimono, that I was talking about bathrobes. XD She had me fooled into thinking that she had a kimono pattern until I asked her if it was for bathrobes. . .
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #1536
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

Cosplay elitist groups.

Not as a whole, but about some of their members in particular. I know there are several of these groups out there, and a lot of the cosplayers are nice, but some have the most gigantic pole ever produced shoved up their l33t arses.

I was at a con earlier this year where there was a well-known elitist cosplay group. One of the more prominent members was conceited and snubbed several people. Actually, two of them, but one more than the other. However, one of the members--one who is sometimes overlooked because of the more prominent members--was a total sweetheart and talked to my friend and me for several minutes.

Bottomline: elitist cosplay groups and not God's gift to con-goers. It pisses me off when they believe otherwise.
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #1537
Transgression
WHERE IS DON RADEON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaruhime
Cosplay elitist groups.

Not as a whole, but about some of their members in particular. I know there are several of these groups out there, and a lot of the cosplayers are nice, but some have the most gigantic pole ever produced shoved up their l33t arses.

I was at a con earlier this year where there was a well-known elitist cosplay group. One of the more prominent members was conceited and snubbed several people. Actually, two of them, but one more than the other. However, one of the members--one who is sometimes overlooked because of the more prominent members--was a total sweetheart and talked to my friend and me for several minutes.

Bottomline: elitist cosplay groups and not God's gift to con-goers. It pisses me off when they believe otherwise.
See, the good news there is I have yet to bump in to any real elitists who've said the wrong thing to me. Met jerks, yeah, but my temper is too firey. I hate it when people elevate themselves. I'd fight (win or lose) your* whole clique if you think for a second your cosplaying abilities make you a better and/or cooler person than me.

* = Generalization
Transgression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #1538
AJREDDSON
Banned

People who assume that cosplaying “must” be anime related. If it’s a costume, no matter what the background, it should still be treated the same, no matter what.
AJREDDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #1539
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

hum..i know i already posted so sorry ^^''

hum.. well I'd say that alot of ppl don't like cosplayers without wigs.. me for example.. I'd love to get wigs but I don't have the money for it.. n dying my hair over n over again is really bad OO so for my ceras n my a.b.a costume i didn't have a wig. n I must say that I was a bit sad because i didn't.

Also,has you mentioned,ppl that snob others.it happened to me at CNAnime..i'm not going to mention who snobed me,but he wasn't on my cool ppl sign (ppl autographed my lil cardboard sign,thanks alot!)

hum..one of my pet peeve,but I think it's been said,it's when you ask a person about how they did their amazing costume n they just glare at you n walk off >.< can't we be nice to one another??

besides that I found alot of very sweet n nice ppl at CNAnime ^^ even a girl that hugged me twice!! n she asked before lol

hummm...also I'd like to say oO I might have offended ppl with my "bad" costumes lol I'm getting way better at sewing but i'm still a novice oO ...it's not really bad is it? lmao i'm able to make cool fleece hat! ^^ n i'm working hard on my costume. gathering up everything before starting.

Last edited by Hsien-Ko : 09-09-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #1540
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJREDDSON
People who assume that cosplaying “must” be anime related. If it’s a costume, no matter what the background, it should still be treated the same, no matter what.
So true. It's cosplay... costume play. Heck, when you look at it that way, dressing up as a ghost on Halloween is costume play. If it were only for anime, it'd be aniplay or something. Yeah, I'm bad at naming things. XD
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #1541
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol

On to my next pet peeve: Bathrobe cosplay. A bathrobe is not a kimono, nor is it a haori. The texture doesn't suit any costumes that I can think of.

It is if you're cosplaying Arthur Dent (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). XD But only if you have the towel.
Okay, I only remembered that because I'm a huge dork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuhaki
So those people only cosplay as anime characters? Lame. And ATLA is so very much an anime. I'm working on an Aang costume that should be done in a month. ;D
Okay, I have to do this.

ZOMG! AANG! Please post pictures when you are finished. Add to the ranks of Avatar cosplayers! VIVA LA AVATAR! I'd say I'd tackelglomp you, but that's not Toph's character.
Not unless it's Sokka that she's tackleglomping, XD

....okay, I'll stop. People are looking at me funny now. XP
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #1542
archergirl2000
Crazy Insomniac

I'd say my worst pet peeve is people making rude comments about your costume, and not even bothering to keep their voices down. I can understand if the girl didn't like my costume but did she need to make loud snide remarks when I'm standing right there?

I was expecting some remarks, because I did the school uniform from Bible Black at my last con, so I thought some people might not like it. The thing was my outfit was in no way skanky, in fact I modified the skirt to be longer because it's so short in the series. It was funny how I got snide remarks because of a hentai cosplay yet when there was guys doing yaoi stuff, the same people who made comments were cheering the boys on. Give me a break people, I worked hard on my costume and I'm not running around naked or anything, so grow up.

That felt good to rant about I must say
archergirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #1543
Raouken

You know what I hate? When people get mad at you for making a good costume, simply because they're too lazy to make one themselves. A friend and me are pretty much banned from cosplay competitions here, because we're 'too professional' Now, let's look at that statement.

1. We've only been cosplaying/sewing for 2 years. We've learned from our moms, we've never had sewing classes from a professional and when our moms teached us all they knew, we found out the rest by ourselves.

2. We're not rich. All the fabrics and materials are every day stuff and really cheap.

3. We give workshops and have replied to emails countless times explaining exactly how we make everything, what we use, where we buy our stuff..everything. So, everyone can make what we make. They just don't do it, because they're too lazy to invest the time and hard work that we do invest. So, because we work our asses off, we're 'too professional' It's just freaking mean! Do they know how hard we work on our costumes? Have they seen the scars I have from heavy, uncomfy costumes? Of course they have, but they don't freaking care because they believe they should get the same rewards and costumes we do, only without working. Well sorry, but that's not going to happen. Life doesn't work that way, if you want to stand out, you have to work harder than the rest.

Unfortunately, the people who organize the anime cons and fantasy events here don't seem to understand that..we've never had a problem like that-or all the other jealousness and negativity-in Germany..seriously, we went to the Animagic and everyone was so sweet and respectful! The only negative remarks we got was from, guess who? The Dutch and Belgium people who went with us.

Seriously, what's so hard about admiring and be respectful to cosplayers if they're better than you? And then get home and be inspired and work to make a gorgeous outfit like that? We saw some amazing Paradise Kiss cosplayers at the Animagic, and they were so incredibly sweet, not jealous at all, we saw each other as fellow cosplayers, people who work hard on their costumes and not at all as competition. Why can't everyone be like that?
Raouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #1544
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

Quote:
I was expecting some remarks, because I did the school uniform from Bible Black at my last con
aawwww.. so I missed your awsome costume at this CNAnime? >< sucks.. I didn't get time to see everything because I was following my boyfriend close.. the place was so big I didn't wanna get lost! O.O it was also my second con!

I know I post alot but I seem to forget alot of stuff >< hum...one of my pet peeves is when you get chosen for those anime games.I got chosen for alot of those games by total luck or because I raised my arm up fast n I heard people grumble in the back because I was infront alot!

It's not really my fault is it if the people picked my number?? geez ppl! He even told me not to play when,for the 2nd game he picked my number cause he said it wouldn't be fair.

Or ppl that sighed extremely loud or grumbled when i named an anime that had nothing to do with the song... I couldn't of possibly have watched aaallllll the anime in the world! People should...respect my ignorance??? If they knew why I can't get alot of anime they'd feel pretty bad for sighing at me. ><

People making loud comments on other people's costume that makes me mad..I didn't hear any at CNAnime,probably because I was too much amazed by all the beautiful costumes n loads of cool stuff to even notice! lol Lots of people like me,with extremely low budget,do their best to make a costume close to the anime character as possible.So people that whisper a bit too loud " look at that costume?She made it look so bad! This n that isn't painted right..blablabla" this just makes me want to wack them with my giant prop!

Next summer I am going to Otakuthon n AnimeNorth.. I hope people will be nicer! lol
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #1545
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raouken
Seriously, what's so hard about admiring and be respectful to cosplayers if they're better than you? And then get home and be inspired and work to make a gorgeous outfit like that? We saw some amazing Paradise Kiss cosplayers at the Animagic, and they were so incredibly sweet, not jealous at all, we saw each other as fellow cosplayers, people who work hard on their costumes and not at all as competition. Why can't everyone be like that?
It's called envy. And sorry, you'll just have to live with it as does any other successful cosplayer does anywhere else.
For years, the former cosplay coordinator at Katsucon (Sue Shambaugh) would tell me about emails she received every year petitioning for my boyfriend and me to be excluded from competitions because we won an award every year. And yet people back stage were always friendly with us...

And for all those who complain about elitism, this is the other end of it. Before you get up in arms, I'll try to garble my way through a very complicated opinion I've had for years. First, there are all skill levels in cosplay. You've got beginners, the newbies who are picking up the hobby and bumbling their way and just trying to have fun. Then you have the intermediates who have started to learn proper sewing techniques and start looking at the details of the costume a lot more. There's the advanced group which are the cosplayers who make very well-made costumes and start to pride themselves on their skills. Then you have the masters, who just go the extra mile and seem to make amazing costumes regardless of difficulty. They know exactly what they're doing, or at least seem that way in public.
And EVERYONE from all skill levels is looking at one another. And we all have our own opinions. Some of us are voicing them and there is never a concensus. In fact, there is a lot of disagreement on so many things like wig/no wig, sneakers vs. boot covers/made shoes, proper fabric choice, cheap vs. expensive materials, sexy vs. skanky, bought vs. self-made, accutate vs. close enough details... etc. I could spend a while and go through this whole thread but I won't. The main point is that we don't all agree and a lot of people take it personally. One person makes a comment (to a friend, at a con, on a blog/ML/LJ/web forum), it gets spread around and ta-da, person #1 is getting tagged as an elitist when someone doesn't agree with that opinion.
This may seem extreme, but it's true.
All the complaints on this site about elitism really bother me. Who's to say that because I have LOTS of opinions, that I am/am not an elitist cosplayer? Or YOU, or anyone else here? Anything you do at a con or voice on-line can be used against you, even when you had no intentions on hurting someone's feelings with a comment, that you carry yourself with a lot of self-confidence, casually walk by someone trying to get your attention and not notice, bask in the attention that a cool costume will bring you, etc.
Someone has once complained about the "elitist" behavior back stage at a competition. Well, what if that person was shy, or didn't know anyone else? Or just not comfortable enough to approach others? Or it's a costume that makes everything uncomfortable? I don't know about you guys, but when I feel like my feet are ready to die, or I have a back ache or head ache, I'm not all that sociable. I totally appreciate anyone back stage that offers help like water, a snack or aspirin, but I certainly don't ask anyone I don't know to help me. When my costume is giving me issues, I'd rather focus on fixing it than talking to anyone back stage. What about the rest of you? Ever have those moments? What do you think a person will think of your behavior when they approach you and all you can focus on is your problem or discomfort. You won't be that friendly... And that person leaves with a bad impression. That's all it takes.
*sighs* It's even worse when you take on the responsibilities of judging or staffing. Every comment you make can be used against you, even confidential remarks between judges. I've seen that sort of stuff bantered around and I just cringe. Judging is not easy and you have to be very critical. There's a REASON judges are sequestered away from the masses. What they say can be harsh and is NOT meant for outside conversations.
Anyway, I just wanted to make my opinion on elistism, in a different way. I personally have never dealt with anyone who's made me feel bad about my costumes. I've been in awe by others' amazing skills, but never put down, let down or otherwise insulted. I am sad to hear all the stories about such instances from others, but I've never seen such nastiness in action. What I have seen is a lot of really good cosplayers get terrible reputations. I've seen a few fade away from cons altogether just to avoid the drama.
Tikki
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote