Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #18286
StarriChan
Princess Derp

I hate it when people think bought is better than self-made or vice versa.
Cause there are amazing self-made cosplays and there are amazing bought ones.
And then, there are... pretty much horrible, cosplays that are handmade AND bought.

Like the people who will be complimenting someone's cosplay left and right, but once they learn it's bought, change entirely and start acting like their cosplay was no big deal.
I personally, don't care if it's self-made or bought, I think both can be amazing. And I even have some self-made and some bought.

Also... There was this one girl at a convention I went to, and I though her cosplay was very nice and I said hello and looked at her cosplay with all the details. It was a very small con, so when I went to the cosplay contest (for self-made) she was telling the judge how she hand painted the plaid skirt with acrylic paint, and basically making things up! It pissed me off very much. I understand that the judge probably couldn't tell she was lying, but I really wish she could, there were so many cosplays that honestly looked like so much more work was put into them, but they couldn't win because the other girl lied about how she made the skirt and how much effort she put in.
I just really hate it when people do that, lie about their cosplay, it ticks me off. (I had gotten a good look at it earlier and it was most definitely store bought fabric that came with the plaid)

BTW: If I hear one more person yell "MARCO!" I will snap.

Last edited by StarriChan : 01-26-2012 at 08:40 PM.
StarriChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #18287
tunesonatuesday
Wonder Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminafo View Post
Who on earth says "corpulent" as an insult?

And judging from your photos on here you are adorable! Don't listen to someone who needs to grab a thesaurus to try to look superior.
Thank youuuuuu
Hirasawa Yui [Uniform] (K-On!) - 60%
Hirasawa Yui [Don't Say Lazy] (K-On!) - Planning
Miroku (InuYasha) - 95%
Imp Midna (Twilight Princess) - 40%

Cons: Animaritime 2012 and Hal-con 2012
tunesonatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #18288
tierza89
evil sorceress

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this but, people running around shouting "you just lost the game!" I can't tell you how many times this has happened every time i've been to AZ. I'm talking 10-20 times per day and that's just the times that i was around to hear it. That joke stopped being funny 5 years ago. In fact, it wasn't really all that funny then either.
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #18289
xIkuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierza89 View Post
I dunno if anyone has mentioned this but, people running around shouting "you just lost the game!" I can't tell you how many times this has happened every time i've been to AZ. I'm talking 10-20 times per day and that's just the times that i was around to hear it. That joke stopped being funny 5 years ago. In fact, it wasn't really all that funny then either.
I have to admit, I've done that once, but it was my first con and I was in 8th grade! It was funny in middle school, but now.... not so much.

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Taako Taaco- The Adventure Zone

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #18290
tierza89
evil sorceress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
I have to admit, I've done that once, but it was my first con and I was in 8th grade! It was funny in middle school, but now.... not so much.
ha well it was acceptable back then. These people need a new meme though. srsly.
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #18291
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_Kaisser View Post
This one isn't so much a universal peeve as much as it
is one that applies specifically for Ezio cosplayers.
And it is an understandable mistake, since not many
people know everything there is to know about
Assassins Creed.

But this exchange makes me facepalm hard in my head
Person: WOW! cool costume!
Me: omgsh thanks! D
Person: Altair, right?
Me: Hahhh yep pretty much
Inner me: DAMMIT IM EZIO FFFFFFFF---
I got the same thing! old everyone called me Ezio....while i was Kadar ~_~.....seriously? Do they not even look at the costume? they must just see a hooded person and say what ever character they prefer

Visit my groups page! <3
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #18292
ferrinator
Hiei the Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarriChan View Post
I hate it when people think bought is better than self-made or vice versa.
Cause there are amazing self-made cosplays and there are amazing bought ones.
And then, there are... pretty much horrible, cosplays that are handmade AND bought.

Like the people who will be complimenting someone's cosplay left and right, but once they learn it's bought, change entirely and start acting like their cosplay was no big deal.
I personally, don't care if it's self-made or bought, I think both can be amazing. And I even have some self-made and some bought.

Also... There was this one girl at a convention I went to, and I though her cosplay was very nice and I said hello and looked at her cosplay with all the details. It was a very small con, so when I went to the cosplay contest (for self-made) she was telling the judge how she hand painted the plaid skirt with acrylic paint, and basically making things up! It pissed me off very much. I understand that the judge probably couldn't tell she was lying, but I really wish she could, there were so many cosplays that honestly looked like so much more work was put into them, but they couldn't win because the other girl lied about how she made the skirt and how much effort she put in.
I just really hate it when people do that, lie about their cosplay, it ticks me off. (I had gotten a good look at it earlier and it was most definitely store bought fabric that came with the plaid)

BTW: If I hear one more person yell "MARCO!" I will snap.
Weelllll... I will admit I have way more respect for people who make costumes than people who buy them. I get some people don't know how or don't have the time and I've nothing against it, but to me it's a whole different ball game than actually creating your costume. It's not just cosplay then; it's wearing your art.

It's kind of like someone showing this awesome painting they bought, then someone showing an awesome painting they made. I'm going to appreciate the one personally made over the one bought more, and usually regardless if the one bought may or may not be better in quality.

I guess it's the artist in me.

Aki-Con 2012
Haji- Blood+ - (not yet started)
ferrinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #18293
eva13796

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiNoSenshi View Post
I do want to kill things when people pronounce Tidus wrong, but i won't correct them. it's not tie-dis it's tea-dus! ::twitch::

But there is no reason to be mean about it...
Ahahaha... Oh yeah, I remember when Square Enix decided to pronounce his name as "Tie-dis" in Kingdom Hearts II and then changed it in Dissidia or it's Duo Decim counterpart. Kinda frustrating when before the company established the official character pronunciation, people made their own interpretation of the pronunciation.
eva13796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #18294
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

The week going so slow. My Birthday on Sunday, I want to go fabric shopping D:<
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #18295
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierza89 View Post
I used to work at a childcare program...and an employee there taught the children this game...there were well over 350 children at various times calling my name and telling me I had lost the game...all summer long that year. I wanted to curl up into a ball and cry.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #18296
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanRDP View Post
Wait wait! One more! Casual cosplays. WTF? No no no, this is dumb, and doesnít count >___O; Sure, on the last day of the con, I wander around in random clothes and with my wig, and sometimes a few accessories, but thatís just cus Iíve gotten lazy and am sick of putting on my costume. Donít snatch a whole bunch of random clothes from the thrift-store, photo-shoot yourself, and proclaim on DA that youíre casual Sora, or casual Cloud, or what the fuck ever. Cosplay is not casual! Ö And now Iím done.
I'm going to Devil's Advocate this one. I have several "casual cosplays" that I love.

For example, I have a "casual" Fujiko. The leather pants and motorcycle jacket I wear for "heist" Fujiko are not very heat friendly, so, for a more casual outfit, I found a vintage '70s dress that looked like something she'd wear. (Her outfit changes every episode, so I couldn't really go wrong.) I made the skirt shorter, the top lower cut, bought a push-up bra and threw in a pair of my heels and my wig. And it's one of my favorite costumes.

Yes, if they were just wearing a random jeans and Tshirt and a bad wig, I can see where you'd be coming from. But some people do put a little effort into their casual versions.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #18297
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Finding simple pieces of clothing that really shouldn't be so hard to find but are.

I'm searching around for a plain white halter dress but can't find it at all(although it might be winter I'm looking online, in thrift stores ect.). From the way it's going it looks like I'm going to have to make it.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #18298
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonBunnyGirl View Post
:/ I've been referred to as anorexic quite a few times by overweight women..

Actually a few weeks ago, there was a thread for overweight people and I believe in it someone was referring to us skinny people as anorexics..

I don't want to be referred to as anorexic just as overweight people probably don't wanna be referred to as fatty mc fat fat.
And here I am thinking coscom is better that....

Coscom I am disappoint =/
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #18299
NeonBunnyGirl
I fancy Poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
And here I am thinking coscom is better that....

Coscom I am disappoint =/
It was only one person and the lovely people of coscom were quick to correct them at least. <3
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #18300
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonBunnyGirl View Post
It was only one person and the lovely people of coscom were quick to correct them at least. <3
My hope is renewed!

Though we do always get an troll or a jerk passing through every once in awhile.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote