Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #18631
C. Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilystem View Post
My pet peeve is when people rail on you or look down on you for only having one costume for a 2-3 day con. Not everybody has the time/money to have multiple costumes. I only have one cosplay but it is very well made, accurate and I love it to pieces. I don't care that you have two cosplays for each day of the con, I have one and you don't have to look down on me for that.
I agree. It's up to personal preference of course, but I'd rather stay in the convention area as much as possible in one costume all day rather than have to go back to a hotel room to change and futz around with another costume.

Edit: After seeing ShinobiXikyu's post, I agree with that as well. As long as everything's neat and tidy and doesn't stink, then everything should be cool. I know I febreezed the heck out of a costume at my last con so I could wear it for two days.

Future -
Star Trek Deep Space Nine - Jadzia Dax

Last edited by C. Marie : 03-21-2012 at 08:39 PM.
C. Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #18632
lilystem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
The primary reason people who AREN'T just snobs tend to look down on wearing the same costume for an entire con, is hygiene. Since a lot of people neglect to febreeze, or iron, or spot-wash/tide-to-go and such to keep it looking neat. If you keep the thing decently clean and neat all those days, go right on ahead and wear it. I only usually wear two costumes for a three-day con, myself (a fancy one and a comfy one), and one gets worn more than the other since it'd be my comfier one I put on more.
I totally agree. I am only able to go to local cons so I can go home each day and freshen up and prepare for the next day. But yea, just putting on the same costume for 2-3 days straight without freshening up is just unattractive
lilystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #18633
Shana05
Survivor

This one is for lolita and not cosplay.

Why is the Kansas City lolita community so inactive? They never hold meetups while Wichita does so almost every month and it's a much smaller city. I've made a lot of my cosplay friends through meetups and I would like to do the same for lolita. I really don't want to go all the way to Wichita for a meet up.

Anime Cental: SplashFree!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #18634
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydiaValentine View Post
In my con, each year, less and less people participate in the cosplay contest. I've asked why to the cosplayers I know that don't participate anymore, and they have told me that it's impossible to win the first prize because it always goes to the same cosplayers (of course they are being negative, because there was one year when those cosplayers won the second prize, not the first one). It's going to disappear, for sure.
Another part of it is that some people that DO win "retire" from competing at that con so that other people can have a chance. One of my friends has done just that at one con because her group has won "Best in Show" three years on a row.

Another part of it is because of the drama that goes with such contests and participants just not wanting to deal with it.

And another is, especially in smaller cons, the staff sometimes has to draft someone to run the contest or judge. Not many people want to lock themsleves away for hours on end and miss a good portion of the con so they can get the contest going. That attitude often shows and turns off potential competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilystem View Post
My pet peeve is when people rail on you or look down on you for only having one costume for a 2-3 day con. Not everybody has the time/money to have multiple costumes. I only have one cosplay but it is very well made, accurate and I love it to pieces. I don't care that you have two cosplays for each day of the con, I have one and you don't have to look down on me for that.
The point has already been made, but it bears reiterating: After wearing the costume for three days straight, your costume absorbs the con funk. If you Febreeze it well and spot-clean it, you are usually fine. But so many people don't do that and they still smell, even if they take a bath each day.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #18635
Tabby-chan
Aka: Natsuno Yuuki

when shopping hours are from 10 am to 6 pm.... and al lthe panels you wanna see are literally back to back from 10 am- 7 pm..............all 3 con days...........fml......
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #18636
HPxGunshot

I know this has been said a LOT but when people bash other cosplays within earshot.

A few years ago my friends and I did a Vocaloid group cosplay (I was Rin and she was Miku) and one of the staff started talking to us. She was extremely rude to us and spouting off that 'I'm staff and am holier than thou' vibe. Then, right in front of us she turns to her friend and says, and I quote, "Oh my God I hate Miku cosplayers."

My friend and I were staring at her in shock when she turns back around and asks my friend where she got her Miku wig. My friend just spouted off the name of the website. Then the next year she does a Vocaloid cosplay group with multiple Miku's. I know her opinions might've changed... but really, that was just plain rude.
HPxGunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 03:17 AM   #18637
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

When photographers don't ask me to move out of a picture when they want me too. I don't mind, I know I ruin a good picture. If you want a picture of everyone else/my friends but me, just let me know... I'll stand on the side. I feel like shit when they don't and they complain about it afterward. I know I'm not photogenic/pretty/whatever...you're not gonna hurt my feelings by asking me to move.

I'm just tired of dealing with those photographers who feel obligated to take a pic of me because of such and such reason. You don't need too, it just makes me feel worse then if you told me to stand out of the picture.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #18638
MoradoFlower
Stephanie-Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
When photographers don't ask me to move out of a picture when they want me too. I don't mind, I know I ruin a good picture. If you want a picture of everyone else/my friends but me, just let me know... I'll stand on the side. I feel like shit when they don't and they complain about it afterward. I know I'm not photogenic/pretty/whatever...you're not gonna hurt my feelings by asking me to move.

I'm just tired of dealing with those photographers who feel obligated to take a pic of me because of such and such reason. You don't need too, it just makes me feel worse then if you told me to stand out of the picture.
Ugh I so know what you mean! I was cosplaying as Misty and some one asked my Ash to pose, and I walked out of the way and my Ash said "Hey, c'mon, get in the photo!" I don't know if the photographer WANTED me as well, but they specifically asked HIM if HE would pose for the camera, not US. I felt kind of bad. I hope if the photographer DIDN'T want me, they would have said something.
MoradoFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #18639
C. Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post

Quote:
Ugh I so know what you mean! I was cosplaying as Misty and some one asked my Ash to pose, and I walked out of the way and my Ash said "Hey, c'mon, get in the photo!" I don't know if the photographer WANTED me as well, but they specifically asked HIM if HE would pose for the camera, not US. I felt kind of bad. I hope if the photographer DIDN'T want me, they would have said something.
I'm going to have to take a bit of different view on the photography thing. I can understand being upset by people who include everyone in a photo and then gripe about it afterward. That's not right. If people are together, but cosplaying different series or whatnot, then yeah it's cool to ask for just one person's pic. As a personal preference, if two people were together cosplaying from the same series, I think it's so much cooler to get them together. But again, just my opinion.

But I would feel really bad if there was a group who I could tell was coordinated and I told one person to step aside. Maybe they wouldn't mind stepping aside. I don't know that though and I'd rather err on the side of kindness. I mean, people are doing me a favor by letting me get their pics. I don't really see why I have a reason to complain.

For me it's about getting pics of people who are having a good time and I happen to like their costumes. But if there's a group and one person looks less than perfect, so what? Heaven knows I'm far from the perfect cosplayer, or even great. The only thing that would ruin a picture for me is if the person looked like they'd rather be anywhere else.

Future -
Star Trek Deep Space Nine - Jadzia Dax
C. Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #18640
tunesonatuesday
Wonder Aficionado

The way I see it, ask for a couple pictures of the characters you want, and get a couple with the group, and there's nothing to stop you deleting the pics you don't want later, and no one's feelings are hurt.
With as many pictures as a digital camera can hold, there's no reason to tell someone "No I don't want your picture"

Also, is it just me, but I find I have so much trouble keeping kimono closed and in the right place, especially when I'm cosplaying guys and don't have a wide tight obi to keep things in place.

I've finished Miroku's clothes and now I'm trying to figure out how to keep his kesa from pulling the kimono open... I might just have to litter the thing with safety pins...
Hirasawa Yui [Uniform] (K-On!) - 60%
Hirasawa Yui [Don't Say Lazy] (K-On!) - Planning
Miroku (InuYasha) - 95%
Imp Midna (Twilight Princess) - 40%

Cons: Animaritime 2012 and Hal-con 2012
tunesonatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #18641
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

^Yeah, exactly. If I only want a photo of one cosplayer when I'm taking a photo of two or whatnot, I usually just ask for each one by themselves, then delete the ones I don't want. Easy as that and it spares telling someone "No, I don't want to take YOUR picture".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #18642
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

When you make a commission for someone, they pay you for labour and material costs and you finished it ages ago. You also send regular (but not OTT) PMs, reminding them of payment to pay for a box to put the prop in, then pay shipping.

But they don't get round to actually paying you.

What makes it worse is that she's been active online so she must have seen my PMs over the couple of months and said that she'd pay me at the start of this month. Didn't happen.
I'm getting tired of playing the "chasing game" if she doesn't respond to the next one regarding last chance final payment, then I'm just going to sell it to someone who actually wants it and not giving a refund.

I'll just remember for the next time to draw up a contract and demand a deposit of maybe around £20 which would be non-refundable before doing the commission to prevent people from pissing me about. Otherwise I'll refuse to do someone a commission.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #18643
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunesonatuesday View Post
Also, is it just me, but I find I have so much trouble keeping kimono closed and in the right place, especially when I'm cosplaying guys and don't have a wide tight obi to keep things in place.

I've finished Miroku's clothes and now I'm trying to figure out how to keep his kesa from pulling the kimono open... I might just have to litter the thing with safety pins...
Are you using a koshi-himo? If you are, you might want to try tying it really tight seeing as those are the reason kimono don't usually slide open when you're wearing them. If not... you should probably look into getting one. You can even make one yourself, seeing as all they are is a long thin, piece of fabric that ties around you at least once. One that doubles around you might work better, because it adds for extra support.
Kagerou (Fire Emblem: Fates) - 77%
Foleo (Fire Emblem: Fates) - planning

Last edited by Reily96 : 03-22-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #18644
_Kumi-chan_
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

^ Yeah, it's really all the little ties that keep a kimono closed, not so much the obi. I've used fleece bias tape myself before I bought authentic accessories, but any soft ribbon-like string that can wrap around the waist twice (or more) with length left to tie will work. I wrap my himo twice, tie it once, twist the ends back (so the left hand one goes back towards the left side, etc.) and tuck the ends in. Then cover it with the actual obi.

You also want to make sure the collars are properly arranged before tying any of your sashes. Pull the inner panel across your chest properly; you could even safety pin it to a tank top worn underneath. This'll help keep it from coming open.

I would also recommend a korin next time you wear women's kimono. It's an adjustable elastic belt with flat clips on either end. You clip one end to the interior front panel/collar, using the gap under your left sleeve, pass the belt around your back where it will be hidden by your obi, and attach the other clip to the outer front panel on your right side. Mens kimono lacks the openings under the arms that would allow you to use this for Miroku, but for ladies' fashion it's incredibly helpful, especially if you're on the busty side.
Next up...
In Prog./Upcoming: Various groups/projects/upgrades Ranma 1/2
The Mirror Card Captor Sakura Rapunzel Tangled EVE WALL-E
Tenchi & Ryoko Tenchi Muyo! Parn & Deedlit Record of Lodoss War
_Kumi-chan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #18645
tunesonatuesday
Wonder Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kumi-chan_ View Post
Mens kimono lacks the openings under the arms that would allow you to use this for Miroku, but for ladies' fashion it's incredibly helpful, especially if you're on the busty side.
Really? I didn't know that and I've been making my men's kimono with the openings.

I learned something new
Hirasawa Yui [Uniform] (K-On!) - 60%
Hirasawa Yui [Don't Say Lazy] (K-On!) - Planning
Miroku (InuYasha) - 95%
Imp Midna (Twilight Princess) - 40%

Cons: Animaritime 2012 and Hal-con 2012
tunesonatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote