Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 317 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #18631
hack_benjamin22

When cosplayers get a very specific and important part of a costume wrong.

Example: When cosplaying a swordsman where 90% of his backstory deals with him being left handed make sure you've got your swords on the right side. Especially in a group picture where all the other members are right handed and have their swords on the left. A mistake like that sticks out so much in a group picture.

Last edited by hack_benjamin22 : 03-19-2012 at 02:25 AM.
hack_benjamin22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #18632
FlameOfSoul
bossbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack_benjamin22 View Post
When cosplayers get a very specific and important part of a costume wrong.

Example: When cosplaying a swordsman where 90% of his backstory deals with him being left handed make sure you've got your swords on the right side. Especially in a group picture where all the other members are right handed and have their swords on the left. A mistake like that sticks out so much in a group picture.
When people wear a sword backwards PERIOD. It curves down, not up, and takes maybe a few minutes of research to figure out the proper wear technique.

And when people wear Kimono or Yukata wrong. Left over right, if your character is alive (ie....well...nearly every person who wears a kimono or yukata; excepting Bleach if I recall). Right over left if your character is dead (ie: Botan from Yu Yu Hakusho). It's a cultural and accuracy thing, and a detail that bothers me to no end. And please don't wear ballet flats or running shoes with your cultural garb. There's far more accurate footwear while still remaining comfortable.

/bitchmode off

Anime North 2014
Friday: Sinbad (Magi)
Saturday: Yoko Littner (Version 2)

Otakuthon 2014
Friday: Cana Alberona (Waitress dress)
Saturday: Erza Scarlet (7 Years Later Armor)
Sunday: Ariel (Pink Dinner Gown)

Katsucon 2015
Friday: Vivi (Alabasta Dress)
Saturday: Ariel (Wedding Dress)

Anime North 2015
Friday: Sango (Demon Slayer Armor)
Saturday: Erza Scarlet (Heaven's Wheel Armor)
FlameOfSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #18633
Reily96
Zelda Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOfSoul View Post
And when people wear Kimono or Yukata wrong. Left over right, if your character is alive (ie....well...nearly every person who wears a kimono or yukata; excepting Bleach if I recall). Right over left if your character is dead (ie: Botan from Yu Yu Hakusho). It's a cultural and accuracy thing, and a detail that bothers me to no end. And please don't wear ballet flats or running shoes with your cultural garb. There's far more accurate footwear while still remaining comfortable.

/bitchmode off
^ This. The other day I saw a girl wearing her kimono right over left... I wanted to walk up to her and ask her if she was perchance a zombie. There were some other things about her outfit that bothered me immensely too, but that's mostly because I'm a bit of a kimono snob.
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #18634
FlameOfSoul
bossbot

Oh trust me I am too. Granted, I don't know if I know enough about the culture of them to say I can be a snob about it, but I'm an accuracy snob. So I suppose it could be the same thing.

Anime North 2014
Friday: Sinbad (Magi)
Saturday: Yoko Littner (Version 2)

Otakuthon 2014
Friday: Cana Alberona (Waitress dress)
Saturday: Erza Scarlet (7 Years Later Armor)
Sunday: Ariel (Pink Dinner Gown)

Katsucon 2015
Friday: Vivi (Alabasta Dress)
Saturday: Ariel (Wedding Dress)

Anime North 2015
Friday: Sango (Demon Slayer Armor)
Saturday: Erza Scarlet (Heaven's Wheel Armor)
FlameOfSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #18635
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

When you see a description for a cosplay and it sounds really great... Until the photo with the description finally loads on the page and it ends up being a shitty myspace-type photo and the other photos are the same, with poor lighting and showing hardly any detail.

I run a cosplay blog for a specific series, so I try to find cosplayers from all skill levels that I think look nice to provide cosplayers with more publicity. However, I come across a lot of this and think "wow, this person has really thought hard about this costume" but don't actually apply it within their cosplay...

The picture just ends up looking more like a progress shot. If I'm wrong and it is a progress shot, state it! So I don't end up getting the wrong impression! I understand not many people have skills in sewing, but even having good lighting and a better angle or camera will drastically improve the quality of your cosplay, because I'm sure it's not that bad. But people really need to stop doing myspace photos. They're terrible.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 03-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.
x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #18636
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
And please don't wear ballet flats or running shoes with your cultural garb. There's far more accurate footwear while still remaining comfortable.

/bitchmode off
If you absolutely have to wear closed-toe shoes, invest in a pair of kung fu slippers or canvas Mary Janes. Most stores that sell Asian wear sells them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
The picture just ends up looking more like a progress shot. If I'm wrong and it is a progress shot, state it! So I don't end up getting the wrong impression! I understand not many people have skills in sewing, but even having good lighting and a better angle or camera will drastically improve the quality of your cosplay, because I'm sure it's not that bad. But people really need to stop doing myspace photos. They're terrible.
Here's a related one: When people take pictures of their costumes by standing in front of their mirror and taking a picture of their reflection. Most low- to mid-range cameras come with a self-timer. Use it!

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #18637
Seority
Love and tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Totally agree! I do see really great costumes in those terrible photos and it makes me cry (on the inside). I have been attracted to even simple costumes if the picture taken was of a good/interesting quality. I don't have many myself sadly, since you can only do so much with a timed shot and an artistically challenged bf. (He does try though...) But really, this is such a major MUST if you really want us interweb peoples to enjoy the costume as much as we would if we saw it in real life.
(Make up and photo shopping are useful.)
Seority is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #18638
Shaymin770

I know it's been said several times already, but I really can't stand it when reference pictures are different from one another. Especially if you already don't have much to go off of.

Sometimes you can't get a picture from the back, sometimes the clothes keep slightly changing, and sometimes the color keeps changing.

Is it brownish red? Orange-y? Plain red? Red-orange? RED-ORANGE-BROWN?! Please stop changing!

P.S. It also really sucks when you don't know the name of the color you need.
Shaymin770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #18639
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaymin770 View Post
I know it's been said several times already, but I really can't stand it when reference pictures are different from one another. Especially if you already don't have much to go off of.

Sometimes you can't get a picture from the back, sometimes the clothes keep slightly changing, and sometimes the color keeps changing.

Is it brownish red? Orange-y? Plain red? Red-orange? RED-ORANGE-BROWN?! Please stop changing!

P.S. It also really sucks when you don't know the name of the color you need.
I agree, I've been looking for pictures of Haku from naruto and fudge if I can decide on any colors. Some times his underclothes look green, other times they look back. His kimono sometimes it looks blue, somtimes it looks green, sometiems it looks black. The lining looks either white or off white. And there's PLENTY of pictures avaliable. -_- :sigh:

I have a pet peev. I absolutely bugs me when someone uses a fabric that is so stiff it doesn't move at all, or barely when they move. It looks like they're wearing paper. Of course if a costume calls for a stiff unmovable fabric ish cool.
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #18640
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
Here's a related one: When people take pictures of their costumes by standing in front of their mirror and taking a picture of their reflection. Most low- to mid-range cameras come with a self-timer. Use it!
I actually dislike when people point ^ this out about my photo's. >.> Or my use of my webcam for photo.... But I only use those photos to show that it's ether done/in progress or I'm just goofing around. >.>

I don't exactly have a tripod to use, nor do my parents take good photos, so I typically take a picture of my reflection in my bathroom mirror. Sadly, I can't set my camera on a table with the timmer because all the damn hights are ether to low (my head gets cut off) or to high (you only see my head)... My living space is a bit weirder then most people though....

I don't see a problem with it really...but eh. it's the pet peeve thread.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #18641
Seority
Love and tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
I actually dislike when people point ^ this out about my photo's. >.> Or my use of my webcam for photo.... But I only use those photos to show that it's ether done/in progress or I'm just goofing around. >.>

I don't exactly have a tripod to use, nor do my parents take good photos, so I typically take a picture of my reflection in my bathroom mirror. Sadly, I can't set my camera on a table with the timmer because all the damn hights are ether to low (my head gets cut off) or to high (you only see my head)... My living space is a bit weirder then most people though....

I don't see a problem with it really...but eh. it's the pet peeve thread.
Something you can always try doing is sitting poses, or bending over ones so you won't get cut out. Maybe lean on your knees and look up. Maybe get on a knee and do a cool action pose! You can also try putting your camera on the ground, lean it against something and take low angle shots. As long as there's enough light, or your camera has a flash, you'll be fine. ^^
If that doesn't sound right for you, you can always just stack books on a table to get the achieved height.
Of course if the picture is just for updates on the costume itself, trying out make-up or what-not, no one's gonna give ya lip about it lol.

Last edited by Seority : 03-21-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Seority is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #18642
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seority View Post
Something you can always try doing is sitting poses, or bending over ones so you won't get cut out. Maybe lean on your knees and look up. Maybe get on a knee and do a cool action pose! You can also try putting your camera on the ground, lean it against something and take low angle shots. As long as there's enough light, or your camera has a flash, you'll be fine. ^^
If that doesn't sound right for you, you can always just stack books on a table to get the achieved height.
Of course if the picture is just for updates on the costume itself, trying out make-up or what-not, no one's gonna give ya lip about it lol.
Maybe? Idk...it's not really my thing? I just want to take a pic of it you know? I don't want to do anything fancy just want a pic kind of thing, you know? Also, I have really bad aim which doesn't help things, even though half the time I have my finger in the picture.

lol you'd be surprised at the people who do... I'm just like well...it's just a picture

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #18643
TassieMiku
Tassie Cosplayer

I dont even Like entering comps anymore especially small ones its always the same people that win also what pisses me on friends of committee members or judges get away with to much I found a girl crying in the toliets at one of the cons I went to as she was told to cover up now I looked at her cosplay you could just see a slight bit of her lower breast but a judges friend was allowed to walk around in bondage gear at a con that had kids there and her nipples where nearly falling out WTF!!!! If your going to tel others to cover up tell your friends to
TassieMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #18644
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

Quote:
When people wear a sword backwards PERIOD. It curves down, not up, and takes maybe a few minutes of research to figure out the proper wear technique.

/bitchmode off
^ This.

I train kendo and that sword curve thing do bug me a bit.. but I also have a memory that I've heard that originally samurai carried the katana with the blade turned down... *shrugs*
What also makes me go 'meh' is when someone cosplays a samurai/warrior style character and hold the sword wrong. I can't help myself almost always noticing that and thinking to myself "if you were actually a warrior in a fight you'd be so dead by now" but yeah, I never say that to the person because it's understandable not everyone knows how to hold a Japanese sword and it's just a costume in the end. Most people just don't care anyway, as long as they seem to look cool with their sword when posing.. at least to those who don't know. (I occasionally see this in anime too and it makes me go afgdgdsghsf. lol)

I'm also interested in kimono and kitsuke in general and what really kills it for me is when I see someone wearing their kimono right over left. Period. I've seen it too many times and I feel like going up to the person and tell them they are doin' it wrong. But I don't, because I don't want to be that dick.. unless the person asks me. It just throws the whole ensemble off for me if the kimono is put on the wrong way, no matter how nice everything else is.. unless your character is dead and/or wears it that way. [/endofrant]

Oh, and yes, Bleach characters wear it left over right.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Luxray (gijinka) - Pokémon

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Oulun animeseminaari (8-9 August 2014)
FRI Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SAT ???

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 03-21-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #18645
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMiku View Post
I dont even Like entering comps anymore especially small ones its always the same people that win also what pisses me on friends of committee members or judges get away with to much I found a girl crying in the toliets at one of the cons I went to as she was told to cover up now I looked at her cosplay you could just see a slight bit of her lower breast but a judges friend was allowed to walk around in bondage gear at a con that had kids there and her nipples where nearly falling out WTF!!!! If your going to tel others to cover up tell your friends to
That ALWAYS happens in small cons. In my con, each year, less and less people participate in the cosplay contest. I've asked why to the cosplayers I know that don't participate anymore, and they have told me that it's impossible to win the first prize because it always goes to the same cosplayers (of course they are being negative, because there was one year when those cosplayers won the second prize, not the first one). It's going to disappear, for sure. This also happens with the para para contest. I'm afraid that this year the para para contest will be cancelled due to the lack of contestants.

BTW what happened to that girl in the toilet is horrible. I hate authority abuse and privileges ¬¬
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote