Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 586 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #18766
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Everything takes longer than it should to complete.

Everything is more complicated than it seems.

Everything costs more than it should.

;-;
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #18767
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Homestuck trolls when I'm wearing a completely white cosplay. I don't want to get grey all over my white cosplay and I probably offended the ones who got to close to me during Sakura Con... I just didn't want to get stained....T_T
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #18768
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
Homestuck trolls when I'm wearing a completely white cosplay. I don't want to get grey all over my white cosplay and I probably offended the ones who got to close to me during Sakura Con... I just didn't want to get stained....T_T
I had the same exact thought process.... cept I was wearing Rapunzel which I didn't want to risk getting messy.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #18769
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
I had the same exact thought process.... cept I was wearing Rapunzel which I didn't want to risk getting messy.
Ah...good to know I wasn't the only one ><

Heres...a rather odd pet peeve. People in cosplay walking far to close to me when I'm sitting close to the ground. I had my hand on my knee and someone walked near me, my hand went up their skirt when I didn't move my hand. O.o Your walking far to close to me if this happens sort of thing happens. I went at washed my hand afterward but I was very weirded out by it...Maybe I'm just not use to a convention center that packed? er...the girl didn't seem to notice and I felt rather awkward if I went up to her and said I was sorry for accidently having my hand up her skirt when she walked close to me when I was sitting down.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #18770
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAnathema View Post
Everything takes longer than it should to complete.

Everything is more complicated than it seems.

Everything costs more than it should.

;-;
THIS! So much! Lol.

I'll add on to what some other people were saying about rude comments about other cosplayers...honestly, I don't want to hear anyone say anything negative about any cosplayer's costume. I don't care if I know the person or not. Keep it to yourself, or save it for in your room or something (b/c we're all human and everyone judges -- so I know some people have to comment). Saying it out loud so anyone else around you can hear is offensive to a lot of people...and someone might just overhear you popping off and smack you, lol. Well deserved, but still -- we are all at the con to have a good time, hang out, and just have a blast. Someone's negativity towards another cosplayer just causes so much drama and stress...it really does kill the "good vibe" feeling around everyone that hears.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #18771
tunesonatuesday
Wonder Aficionado

I hate when people won't respect your space.

I was wearing a steampunk ball gown at my last con, and it was not overcrowded at all. The halls were big, there was plenty of space, but people were constantly stepping on my dress! Even standing in line for tickets, every time I turned around the people in line behind me were standing on my skirt!

In the end I had to take the overskirt off because I was worried the (faux)suede would get muddy or ruined or torn. There were times when I almost fell right over because I would be walking and someone would stomp on my dress and almost send me tumbling.

I wasn't being selfish, demanding the entire hallway for myself, because like I said it wasn't crowded, so if you see a girl coming with a six-hoop crinoline, give her some room!
Hirasawa Yui [Uniform] (K-On!) - 60%
Hirasawa Yui [Don't Say Lazy] (K-On!) - Planning
Miroku (InuYasha) - 95%
Imp Midna (Twilight Princess) - 40%

Cons: Animaritime 2012 and Hal-con 2012
tunesonatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #18772
MaryWesker
MissMaryWesker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitsukaUzumaki View Post
Well I know this one from personal experience and I will never make this mistake again...!

You have a very well made cosplay complete with props and good detail but then...
No wig!?!?!?! Come on people!! I know they can get expensive, but isn't cosplay worth your money? And if not what are you even doing trying?

The only exception I have for this is if your own hair is the exact color and style or the character you're portraying.
There's situations where I think you can get away with not wearing a wig for a cosplay. Mine for example: I cosplay a blonde character and blonde hair/wigs makes me look...funny. Like sickly. I'd rather look good and have wrong hair than have the right hair and look laughably ridiculous. My hair is the same length and I run with that. The other characters I cosplay have hair similar to mine. I don't think it makes my cosplay any less "cool" and it definitely doesn't take any fun away from the hobby.
Juli Kidman - The Evil Within
Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - Silent Hill 2
Ada Wong - Resident Evil 6
DeviantArt
Tumblr
MaryWesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #18773
itlookslikerain

The conventions that I go to typically have a costume contest. My biggest pet peeve are the "career" cosplayers that only show up for the contest, then leave right after. WTF??? If you don't like the convention, then why bother showing up at all?? At least support those that put it all together, take a stroll around the tables, and maybe buy something before you leave with your $300 prize.

Ungrateful douchewads.

Next Con: Calgary Comic and Toy - September 2012
itlookslikerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #18774
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlookslikerain View Post
The conventions that I go to typically have a costume contest. My biggest pet peeve are the "career" cosplayers that only show up for the contest, then leave right after. WTF??? If you don't like the convention, then why bother showing up at all?? At least support those that put it all together, take a stroll around the tables, and maybe buy something before you leave with your $300 prize.

Ungrateful douchewads.
Devil's Advocate: I know a lot of people that are working in the dealer's room or artist's alley and just wear a "chill" costume or street clothes for most of the day. Then wear their contest piece for the contest. So maybe they were there the whole time, but you didn't notice them until you saw them on the stage.

I will admit that the contests are sometimes the main reason I'm going to a particular convention and take up a lot of my time on that weekend. But I made a rule for myself that if the contest is the only reason I go, I'm going to stop going.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #18775
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

People that instantly criticize a progress picture you've posted... when you didn't ask for their input.

I had this happen today. I'm working on a personal design for a keyblade and all that was put together was some Styrofoam and a dowel and someone straight up told me it looked awful. Well. No sh!t. It's not done yet, and far from actually. Also, when did I ask for your input? Oh, that's right, I didn't.

And I hate when stuff like that comes from some troll who wouldn't know how to use a hot glue gun if his life depended on it. Trolls in general just bother me, but people that you KNOW have never made anything but have some self entitled personality like they know all, really make me want to scream.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #18776
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlookslikerain View Post

Ungrateful douchewads.
Wait, cons have money prizes now? What one has it THAT good to give out more than a ribbon and a certificate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #18777
The_Killer_Hare
Bunny of Death

An annoyance about myself and cosplay. I like to plan, it's one of my big things. I have like a hundred cosplays planned, but we'll go with one for this example: Ironman. I found a great pattern for the ironman costume that would work. It's practical, not expensive, and looks good. I could make this, but NOOOO my planning side has to add stuff, and it starts off simple like where to put the breathing ventilation and what kind of sunglass lenses to put behind the eyesockets to protect against LED to adding a microphone and hidden speakers so I can sound like Tony when I talk to people interacting with me.

I hate overplanning these things.
The_Killer_Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #18778
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makira View Post
People that instantly criticize a progress picture you've posted... when you didn't ask for their input.

I had this happen today. I'm working on a personal design for a keyblade and all that was put together was some Styrofoam and a dowel and someone straight up told me it looked awful. Well. No sh!t. It's not done yet, and far from actually. Also, when did I ask for your input? Oh, that's right, I didn't.

And I hate when stuff like that comes from some troll who wouldn't know how to use a hot glue gun if his life depended on it. Trolls in general just bother me, but people that you KNOW have never made anything but have some self entitled personality like they know all, really make me want to scream.
I've had this done before. Someone commented on one of my cosplay pictures on another site, and when I looked at their gallery, it was full of shitty satin-clad eBay type costumes which got me thinking "If you knew how to bloody sew, you wouldn't be tempted to buy such shit - thus if you don't know how to sew, don't be judging those who do, especially if you cannot back up the quality of your own costume". I could understand if they didn't have the time to sew. But I'm surely not the only one who has their attitude change ever since learning how to sew - in terms of staying away from certain fabrics, like, for example, being younger, I didn't think satin was ugly, but now I think it is, along with certain other fabrics too, etc.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 04-14-2012 at 02:53 PM.
x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #18779
13Kai-Kai
HisokaKurosaki3

I know it's been said before, but I'd like to add my piece to the mix....People that look down on cosplayers who BUY their costumes.

I cannot sew to save my life, I've tried and tried so many times it's almost laughable. I know practice makes you better, blah blah blah, but my motor skills are not good enough. I'm sorry...I went through OT and this is as far as I'm gonna get. Hell, I have to use special scissors and I STILL cannot cut a straight line... :/ My handwriting is shit and I'm surprised I can type at all.

I'm also quite picky about where I buy from and make sure that I get a nice-looking costume. I put in the effort for make-up, wig/hair styling, props, and such so I do something at least.

Also cheap, shiny as hell satin is annoying, and is a major peeve of mine. /end random ramblings....

Otakon 2016
Mitsuba (Owari no Seraph)
Kinana (Fairy Tail)
Shizuku (HunterXHunter)
Jigglypuff Gijinka
Lenalee (D.Gray-Man) *3rd uniform*

AUSA 2016
Seilah (Fairy Tail)
Seras (Hellsing)
Yui (Fushigi Yugi)
Arisa (Fruits Basket)
Mito (HunterXHunter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokun View Post
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, be happy that nothing blew up.
13Kai-Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #18780
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Quote:
I've had this done before. Someone commented on one of my cosplay pictures on another site, and when I looked at their gallery, it was full of shitty satin-clad eBay type costumes whih got me thinking "If you knew how to bloody sew, you wouldn't be tempted to buy such shit". I could understand if they didn't have the time to sew. But I'm surely not the only one who has their attitude change ever since learning how to sew - in terms of staying away from certain fabrics, like, for example, being younger, I didn't think satin was ugly, but now I think it is, along with certain other fabrics too, etc.
I'm sorry to hear that D: Your costumes look awesome so I couldn't even imagine why someone would insult them unless jealousy came up.

I just called them out on not having any artistic talent, because anyone with an eye for such things could notice the electrical tape I had on it to make sure the glue stayed, and obviously unpainted not even rigid wrapped styrofoam was anyone's first guess it was far from complete. They never responded after that though. I took it a little more to heart then I should have but it's also my first time creating my own design of something, haha. But, there's always going to be that one A-hole, so the more I start doing my own things, the more I'll have to learn to let those comments slide off my back. I just wanted to use him because he's awesome.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote