Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 368 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #18766
Shirayuki~Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsuxmasa View Post
I can't stand when crossplayers aren't given as much attention than those who are the gender of the cosplay they're doing.

My friend got all giddy and excited when she saw a guy dressed as a character she likes and I was standing right next to her in the same cosplay, but she still had to go get his picture and compliment how well done his costume was. That kind of made me feel bad. People in my cosplay group always complain about how there isn't a cute guy in our cosplay group to do fanservice with. Even the majority of them crossplay too. It's not like any of our guy friends are into cosplay or doing yaoi fanservice with us. I just think it's annoying how they drool over males and think that female crossplayers that have put effort into their cosplays and look just as good aren't as good as males who cosplay...
I don't really agree with this. When I see a male cosplayer, I get really excited too! Especially when it's a character I like. I do it because I rarely see a male cosplayer. Rarely. And to see a male cosplaying your favorite character is awesome! And for the record, I see crossplayers all the time that get A LOT of attention, and get just as much of it as males cosplaying the same character.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #18767
GenLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
About the cop-out thing:

What. The. Frak? A majority of my costumes are just regular clothes. Heck, Lin Xiao Li was mostly bought at Ross!

That's a stupid reason to pick on someone's cosplay...Not that there are good reasons but you know what I mean.
Yeah it's really bugging me.

Hell Reno is a POPULAR Cosplay! All the turks are and you can definitely buy an outfit for that. Cop-out PSH!

2014 Convention List:
Indy Pop Con * May 30-June 1
Gen Con * August 14-17
Star Base Indy * November 28-30
GenLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #18768
Miee

Oh god, I agree with so many people here. Falling cosplays or cosplays that hurt are the worst things ever.

One of my other pet peeves is when people buy or commission their costumes and then take credit for it. I mean, okay, you can get your costume made for you or you can buy it, but don't say that you made it when you didn't. I just feel like that's not fair to people who spent the time and effort and worked on their skills to be able to actually make their costume.
Sunday: Litchi Faye-Ling - BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (100%)

Miee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #18769
Isikaru

Off the top of my head...

#1:
When people comment rudely about someone's cosplay, and not directly to but loud enough so that the person they're harping about can hear.

#2:
Cosplayers that half-ass their outfits and expect people to be wowed by them.

Last edited by Isikaru : 04-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Isikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #18770
Deru-Wisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo Knight View Post
I would say my pet peeve is people stereotyping fans. I like Hetalia, but I'm not completely and utterly stupid. I admit that a lot of the fans (fangirls in particular) are rather scary, but not everyone in the fandom is like that. Every anime has crazy fans, but it's rather rude to group everyone who likes that anime together. Reading the last few pages really makes me not want to cosplay Hetalia, as I'm rather scared of the negative reaction I would get. It's almost offensive in the way you group people together. I fully agree that some Hetalia cosplayers have no respect for social boundaries, but a lot still do, however it's the bad fans you see most of the time, as opposed to the good ones..
This.
One of my biggest pet peeves is stereotyping fans. I've met plenty of fans and cosplayers from animes like Naruto and Hetalia, and most (or at least most of the ones I've met) aren't as bad as most people claim them to be. Like Ichigo Knight said, I, too, am now nervous of cosplaying Hetalia in fear of negative reactions. *sigh* Not everyone from fandoms like Hetalia are 'rabid, obnoxious, yaoi-obsessed fangirls'.
And then when cosplayers are stereotyped about their age.... That's another rant entirely.

Upcoming Cons:
Pacific Media Expo '14
Anime Los Angelos '15
Anime Expo '15
_______
Completed:
Mami Tomoe - Madoka Magica
Tsubomi Kido - Mekakucity Actors
Annie Leonhardt - Attack on Titan
Dirk Strider (Godtier and Headless) - Homestuck
_______
In Progress:
Samekichi- Wadanohara and The Great Blue Sea (20%)
(Genderbent) Ren - DRAMAtical Murder (10%)
_______
Instagram - Tumblr
Deru-Wisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #18771
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Everything takes longer than it should to complete.

Everything is more complicated than it seems.

Everything costs more than it should.

;-;
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #18772
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Homestuck trolls when I'm wearing a completely white cosplay. I don't want to get grey all over my white cosplay and I probably offended the ones who got to close to me during Sakura Con... I just didn't want to get stained....T_T

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #18773
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
Homestuck trolls when I'm wearing a completely white cosplay. I don't want to get grey all over my white cosplay and I probably offended the ones who got to close to me during Sakura Con... I just didn't want to get stained....T_T
I had the same exact thought process.... cept I was wearing Rapunzel which I didn't want to risk getting messy.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #18774
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
I had the same exact thought process.... cept I was wearing Rapunzel which I didn't want to risk getting messy.
Ah...good to know I wasn't the only one ><

Heres...a rather odd pet peeve. People in cosplay walking far to close to me when I'm sitting close to the ground. I had my hand on my knee and someone walked near me, my hand went up their skirt when I didn't move my hand. O.o Your walking far to close to me if this happens sort of thing happens. I went at washed my hand afterward but I was very weirded out by it...Maybe I'm just not use to a convention center that packed? er...the girl didn't seem to notice and I felt rather awkward if I went up to her and said I was sorry for accidently having my hand up her skirt when she walked close to me when I was sitting down.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #18775
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAnathema View Post
Everything takes longer than it should to complete.

Everything is more complicated than it seems.

Everything costs more than it should.

;-;
THIS! So much! Lol.

I'll add on to what some other people were saying about rude comments about other cosplayers...honestly, I don't want to hear anyone say anything negative about any cosplayer's costume. I don't care if I know the person or not. Keep it to yourself, or save it for in your room or something (b/c we're all human and everyone judges -- so I know some people have to comment). Saying it out loud so anyone else around you can hear is offensive to a lot of people...and someone might just overhear you popping off and smack you, lol. Well deserved, but still -- we are all at the con to have a good time, hang out, and just have a blast. Someone's negativity towards another cosplayer just causes so much drama and stress...it really does kill the "good vibe" feeling around everyone that hears.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #18776
tunesonatuesday
Wonder Aficionado

I hate when people won't respect your space.

I was wearing a steampunk ball gown at my last con, and it was not overcrowded at all. The halls were big, there was plenty of space, but people were constantly stepping on my dress! Even standing in line for tickets, every time I turned around the people in line behind me were standing on my skirt!

In the end I had to take the overskirt off because I was worried the (faux)suede would get muddy or ruined or torn. There were times when I almost fell right over because I would be walking and someone would stomp on my dress and almost send me tumbling.

I wasn't being selfish, demanding the entire hallway for myself, because like I said it wasn't crowded, so if you see a girl coming with a six-hoop crinoline, give her some room!
Hirasawa Yui [Uniform] (K-On!) - 60%
Hirasawa Yui [Don't Say Lazy] (K-On!) - Planning
Miroku (InuYasha) - 95%
Imp Midna (Twilight Princess) - 40%

Cons: Animaritime 2012 and Hal-con 2012
tunesonatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #18777
MaryWesker
MistressMaryD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitsukaUzumaki View Post
Well I know this one from personal experience and I will never make this mistake again...!

You have a very well made cosplay complete with props and good detail but then...
No wig!?!?!?! Come on people!! I know they can get expensive, but isn't cosplay worth your money? And if not what are you even doing trying?

The only exception I have for this is if your own hair is the exact color and style or the character you're portraying.
There's situations where I think you can get away with not wearing a wig for a cosplay. Mine for example: I cosplay a blonde character and blonde hair/wigs makes me look...funny. Like sickly. I'd rather look good and have wrong hair than have the right hair and look laughably ridiculous. My hair is the same length and I run with that. The other characters I cosplay have hair similar to mine. I don't think it makes my cosplay any less "cool" and it definitely doesn't take any fun away from the hobby.
Vaas Montenegro - Far Cry 3
nurse!Meg - Supernatural
Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - Silent Hill 2
Alice Abernathy - Resident Evil Movie
DeviantArt
Tumblr
MaryWesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #18778
itlookslikerain

The conventions that I go to typically have a costume contest. My biggest pet peeve are the "career" cosplayers that only show up for the contest, then leave right after. WTF??? If you don't like the convention, then why bother showing up at all?? At least support those that put it all together, take a stroll around the tables, and maybe buy something before you leave with your $300 prize.

Ungrateful douchewads.

Next Con: Calgary Comic and Toy - September 2012
itlookslikerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #18779
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlookslikerain View Post
The conventions that I go to typically have a costume contest. My biggest pet peeve are the "career" cosplayers that only show up for the contest, then leave right after. WTF??? If you don't like the convention, then why bother showing up at all?? At least support those that put it all together, take a stroll around the tables, and maybe buy something before you leave with your $300 prize.

Ungrateful douchewads.
Devil's Advocate: I know a lot of people that are working in the dealer's room or artist's alley and just wear a "chill" costume or street clothes for most of the day. Then wear their contest piece for the contest. So maybe they were there the whole time, but you didn't notice them until you saw them on the stage.

I will admit that the contests are sometimes the main reason I'm going to a particular convention and take up a lot of my time on that weekend. But I made a rule for myself that if the contest is the only reason I go, I'm going to stop going.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #18780
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

People that instantly criticize a progress picture you've posted... when you didn't ask for their input.

I had this happen today. I'm working on a personal design for a keyblade and all that was put together was some Styrofoam and a dowel and someone straight up told me it looked awful. Well. No sh!t. It's not done yet, and far from actually. Also, when did I ask for your input? Oh, that's right, I didn't.

And I hate when stuff like that comes from some troll who wouldn't know how to use a hot glue gun if his life depended on it. Trolls in general just bother me, but people that you KNOW have never made anything but have some self entitled personality like they know all, really make me want to scream.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote