Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #18766
13Kai-Kai
HisokaKurosaki3

I know it's been said before, but I'd like to add my piece to the mix....People that look down on cosplayers who BUY their costumes.

I cannot sew to save my life, I've tried and tried so many times it's almost laughable. I know practice makes you better, blah blah blah, but my motor skills are not good enough. I'm sorry...I went through OT and this is as far as I'm gonna get. Hell, I have to use special scissors and I STILL cannot cut a straight line... :/ My handwriting is shit and I'm surprised I can type at all.

I'm also quite picky about where I buy from and make sure that I get a nice-looking costume. I put in the effort for make-up, wig/hair styling, props, and such so I do something at least.

Also cheap, shiny as hell satin is annoying, and is a major peeve of mine. /end random ramblings....

Colossalcon East 2017
Sailor Venus (Sailor Moon)
Kinana (Fairy Tail)
Sakura (Tsubasa)
Jigglypuff Swimsuit

AnimeUSA 2017
-SECRET-
Mito (HunterXHunter)
Yuri (Blue Exorcist)
Hilda (Outlaw Star)
Jigglypuff Gijinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokun View Post
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, be happy that nothing blew up.
13Kai-Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #18767
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Quote:
I've had this done before. Someone commented on one of my cosplay pictures on another site, and when I looked at their gallery, it was full of shitty satin-clad eBay type costumes whih got me thinking "If you knew how to bloody sew, you wouldn't be tempted to buy such shit". I could understand if they didn't have the time to sew. But I'm surely not the only one who has their attitude change ever since learning how to sew - in terms of staying away from certain fabrics, like, for example, being younger, I didn't think satin was ugly, but now I think it is, along with certain other fabrics too, etc.
I'm sorry to hear that D: Your costumes look awesome so I couldn't even imagine why someone would insult them unless jealousy came up.

I just called them out on not having any artistic talent, because anyone with an eye for such things could notice the electrical tape I had on it to make sure the glue stayed, and obviously unpainted not even rigid wrapped styrofoam was anyone's first guess it was far from complete. They never responded after that though. I took it a little more to heart then I should have but it's also my first time creating my own design of something, haha. But, there's always going to be that one A-hole, so the more I start doing my own things, the more I'll have to learn to let those comments slide off my back. I just wanted to use him because he's awesome.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #18768
CodeElite

I see this more often than you'd think at a con, but people call cosplayers by the wrong character names on purpose just to mess and troll. Although seeing a Deadpool pull his pistol to the guy's face was rather hilarious because of the look of sheer terror.

2014 Cosplays
--------------
(25%) Lightning - Final Fantasy XIII
Noel Vermillion - Blazblue Chronophantasma
Mesmer - Guild Wars 2
(100%) Yuki Terumi - Blazblue Chroinophantasma
CodeElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #18769
Thadine

Well, after reading over some things on this board...
I'm very afraid to get "glomped". Do people actually run at full speed to hug people? Because...I'm 5'3. I'm 100lbs. My leg is weak due to having broken it a few years ago. I would crumble to the ground in a heap if that ever happened. xDD

Oh, but something that irritates me is when I'm actually sewing something, and the bobbin runs out, and I don't know it until I've finished doing an extremely long line. I then pick up the finished piece, and it falls apart. Urgh. I have to pin it again, and re-sew it! I wish my machine would beep or warn me if the bobbin runs out. xD
Skull Kid- Majora's Mask
Iceland- Hetalia
Thadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #18770
CodeElite

Generally when I see someone running at full speed to glomp someone, it's either because they know the person literally or are a crazed fan XD. Most people typically have enough sense to not invade your privacy like that or ask permission...but I do say most with stress. At least, that's what I've seen around here.

2014 Cosplays
--------------
(25%) Lightning - Final Fantasy XIII
Noel Vermillion - Blazblue Chronophantasma
Mesmer - Guild Wars 2
(100%) Yuki Terumi - Blazblue Chroinophantasma
CodeElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #18771
byknott

Allow me to beat a dead horse.

Non Anime Cosplay: Jesus showed up at Metrocon '09 and it was fabulous.
byknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #18772
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makira View Post
I'm sorry to hear that D: Your costumes look awesome so I couldn't even imagine why someone would insult them unless jealousy came up.

I just called them out on not having any artistic talent, because anyone with an eye for such things could notice the electrical tape I had on it to make sure the glue stayed, and obviously unpainted not even rigid wrapped styrofoam was anyone's first guess it was far from complete. They never responded after that though. I took it a little more to heart then I should have but it's also my first time creating my own design of something, haha. But, there's always going to be that one A-hole, so the more I start doing my own things, the more I'll have to learn to let those comments slide off my back. I just wanted to use him because he's awesome.
Why thank you <3 I could easily say the same about your cosplays and props!

Usually I'll call them out, but I just don't think it's worth it if it's someone who obviously has a lower quality costume, because at the end of the day, they probably already realise their costume sucks and them insulting someone else will be a constant reminder. Oh we all do take some things to heart, but you pick yourself up and get on with doing what you do best.
Exactly, but also he more you make things, the better you will become, which means even progress shots would look better! XD

Yes, it does make me ponder about the intelligence of one if they point out something is crap when it's obviously in the progress stage..
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #18773
omgorchid
I try.

Cosplayers that ruin songs for me. Like, for example, I can't listen to the first main ending to Hetalia because I hear cosplayers singing it very badly. And now that I'm into Homestuck they're singing that song from Con Air as well as the song that was parodied in the He-Man vid on YouTube.
omgorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #18774
AliceOfHearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
This has been said before, and I will repeat it.

People taking credit for work they OBVIOUSLY didn't do.

So, I'm mentioning it because I've come across someone on another site who was "currently making" a cosplay from a series that I like. She posted a picture of the outfit on facebook. Hm, that costume took only a week to make? Woah! Not.

She posted an image of the character she wanted to do a week ago, and now it's "complete", but the funny thing is. It's obvious it's an outfit bought from eBay.
Nothing wrong with buying cosplays from eBay, but come on, you can't get any more obvious than that. Considering I looked for the outfit on it, found the exact same one... The one with the horrible colour inaccuracies.

So, I wanted to be discreet and ask to see any progress pictures, because I like seeing progress pictures.

She replies saying her Dad has some one his phone. Right. I'm -totally- buying that...

I think I might bring up a private word on the matter, before she embarrasses herself at the con, running around claiming she made it and someone will come along and call her out in public. I don't want to be rude about it, but I feel that if I don't say anything, she'll keep doing it.

Edit: Now she's giving credit to the eBay seller for giving her a "step-by-step" guide on how to make the cosplay and giving thanks to a friend who "helped her sew it". And saying the "bow and tiara was bought from the seller" - yet I highly doubt a seller would just give you just those two items. I'm in the process of writing her a PM on facebook, but I'm not sure. I still think she bought the whole thing..

What do you guys think?
I know this is from forever ago, but WOW do I hate this

There's this girl that my friend is unfortunate enough to know. She cosplays as Zelda a lot. Anyway, this girl posted on Coscom/dA saying how she's so excited to cosplay Zelda from Skyward Sword (this was way before the game released). Everyone praises her 'lovely work' and how they're so surprised someone's making the costume already, telling her that she's doing a great job, and she tells them thanks and that's it.

But then someone asked her later on about something, can't remember what, and then she says that she never made the dress at all and that she commissioned it. She only made two small parts of the costume and for a while passed off the whole thing as her own work. She eventually changed it in the description, but it still made us angry, especially since my friend is a commissioner herself.

And to be honest, I don't know WHY she would say she made the dress. It was poorly-done and made of what looked like costume satin or something >_>
AliceOfHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #18775
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceOfHearts View Post
I know this is from forever ago, but WOW do I hate this

There's this girl that my friend is unfortunate enough to know. She cosplays as Zelda a lot. Anyway, this girl posted on Coscom/dA saying how she's so excited to cosplay Zelda from Skyward Sword (this was way before the game released). Everyone praises her 'lovely work' and how they're so surprised someone's making the costume already, telling her that she's doing a great job, and she tells them thanks and that's it.

But then someone asked her later on about something, can't remember what, and then she says that she never made the dress at all and that she commissioned it. She only made two small parts of the costume and for a while passed off the whole thing as her own work. She eventually changed it in the description, but it still made us angry, especially since my friend is a commissioner herself.

And to be honest, I don't know WHY she would say she made the dress. It was poorly-done and made of what looked like costume satin or something >_>
I'd like to do proper commissions one day, and any completed work will be advertised on possibly my Deviantart and say who it's commissioned for and I will encourage future customers to send in pictures and display them under a folder "customers photos" to reduce the chances of people passing the work off as their own. They still could claim it on another site you may not go on, but the chances are people who may be following this person may come across the customer photo and realise the truth. If you do become faced with a person who claims your commissioning work to be your own, don't be afraid to call them out on it (through a PM FIRST) because you have every right to. If they refuse, you expose their lies, but in a professional and mature way. You never know, you'll get more customers that way if the people originally liked the liar's cosplay that you happened to make.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #18776
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

People who expect help AND WON'T DO ANY OF THEIR OWN RESEARCH. Reference pictures of the specific versions of a characters I've never heard of? Derpderp find your own guys lol.

Cosplay group I am in, I am totally looking at you. D:
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #18777
tunesonatuesday
Wonder Aficionado

People on Facebook who see I do costumes, and then they constantly come at me with "How much would it be to make this? How about this? What about this?" and just showing me random pictures!

It's impossible to just pull a number out of thin air, and I know you're broke so I'm not about to waste my time going price-checking for something you obviously won't buy. There's a couple of people who do it constantly, and it's really irritating. I'm sure commissioners see it all the time, people asking for quotes with no intent to buy, but I don't even commission, I just sometimes make little things for my friends when they need them for cons. These people aren't even my friends, just random people I know.
Hirasawa Yui [Uniform] (K-On!) - 60%
Hirasawa Yui [Don't Say Lazy] (K-On!) - Planning
Miroku (InuYasha) - 95%
Imp Midna (Twilight Princess) - 40%

Cons: Animaritime 2012 and Hal-con 2012
tunesonatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #18778
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

When you realize you can do one of your dream cosplays but by doing it you screw over the cosplay plans for the next year including group cosplay cosplays. Ugh. Pretty Cure...you are awesome but ruined so much planning. I'm going to have to talk it over with my friends or switch to characters with easier clothes.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #18779
Quinn the Shiki
I'm in Raffaenzo Hell

Inconsistent series! I've been reading the orphen manga and Hartia's hair length changes from shoulder length to just below his ears to short and spiky in the course of two pages. Thank god I'm going off the anime, where his hair is consistently shoulder length or I would be going insane by now, but it's still pretty darn annoying.
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) Wilhelm-Crimson-Shell (Revamp), Yashiro-Erased, Lars van Allen-Griefer Belt, Liv Moore-iZombie, Dia Kurosawa-Love Live Sunshine, Osamu Dazai (Mafia version)-Bungou Stray Dogs, Miki Hoshii-Idolm@ster, Yoshiko Tsushima-Love Live Sunshine, Edgar Allen Poe-Bungou Stray Dogs,
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #18780
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunesonatuesday View Post
People on Facebook who see I do costumes, and then they constantly come at me with "How much would it be to make this? How about this? What about this?" and just showing me random pictures!

It's impossible to just pull a number out of thin air, and I know you're broke so I'm not about to waste my time going price-checking for something you obviously won't buy. There's a couple of people who do it constantly, and it's really irritating. I'm sure commissioners see it all the time, people asking for quotes with no intent to buy, but I don't even commission, I just sometimes make little things for my friends when they need them for cons. These people aren't even my friends, just random people I know.
A few years ago, I had a "nightmare" client that did exactly that. She'd send me a list of 10 costumes that she wanted and never commit to any. Only to send me 10 more several weeks later. It got so bad at one point that I would highball my quotes more than usual, just to get her to chill out on the requests.

On one hand, I felt kinda bad doing it because she was really eager to commission me. But, on the other hand, she also told me that she was on public assistance and I wanted to tell her, if that was true, she really shouldn't be dropping triple digits on a costume. The fact that she was sending so many requests was pretty telling, since it was obvious she was fishing for that magic costume that would cost her less then $50.

Now when someone pulls that on me, I give them a vague estimate and tell them I'll give them a more exact quote when/if they decide what costumes they actually want to commit on.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote