Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #19381
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

pet peeve....when you have no clue what a pattern is trying to tell you to do.
I'm having to wing it on a ton of stuff now for a very nice suit! >______> i dont know how to do the little fold over triangle collars. and i messed up the pants royally. I have to restart them completely!
alas..... I hope it turns out well in the end V___V
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #19382
Viveeh
mango puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Oh hun I'm sorry =( Why can't people understand you CANNOT claim a cosplay. You do not own it, others are allowed to do it too, get over youself. Seriously this chick needs to get bent.
I think you can claim a cosplay if it's your original design. :P

But in her case, that girl is really unreasonable. For sure there are more cosplayers of the character, too, and it's not her own character in any way.
Calne Ca human ver.
Prince Alphie

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #19383
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by karihoshino View Post
so not wanting to hear his pathetic whining I changed the plan AGAIN to 25$ A week..... except at the first of the month and he went "BUt what about eating out?" Me: "Dude.....you want to cosplay! Cosplayers cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Cosplaying's first law of equivalent exchange." (Lol FMA like XD) feh If I am ungrateful....I apologize but really GEH....
That's when you put your foot down and tell him, "Alright... you have to decide what's more important to you. Cosplay or eating out. Because frankly I'm sick of you changing your mind and whining."

Or you just hand him back all his money and tell him that eating out is obviously more important to him than cosplay is. Maybe he can turn his overpriced dinner into a cosplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Not having a good desk specifically for cosplay to work on things.
inorite? Office Depot has this really nice L-shaped desk that I've been drooling over forever that I can put both my sewing machine and serger on so I don't have to keep moving them around when I want to switch machines. But we don't have the space for it. At least, nowhere to place it non-awkardly.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #19384
RedLotusKnight
Proud OC Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
That's when you put your foot down and tell him, "Alright... you have to decide what's more important to you. Cosplay or eating out. Because frankly I'm sick of you changing your mind and whining."

Or you just hand him back all his money and tell him that eating out is obviously more important to him than cosplay is. Maybe he can turn his overpriced dinner into a cosplay.
I KNOW RIGHT? Its like Dude..... so I finally have an answer from a cosplay website about making me the winter coat from Vampire Knight and Yuki's pajama's (In custom purple ) and its like I switched stuff around and he complains that he doesn't understand why stuff is more expensive for him (He's a BIG (as in tall) guy) so naturally some sites charge extra he is just eh..... but like with my brother being treated like a king (had to drop SIXTY DOLLARS on his ass for two my little pony t shirts sending my plans for an expensive costume back to november -_- .....) So Cosplay Pet Peeve is still PEOPLE MESSING UP MY PLANS! RAWR then my brother said I shouldn't exist and that my love for anime was childish...... (He's 25 and wanted My Little Pony Shirts) ....yeah So this like everything else I get I DEAL WITH IT My mother also says I don't exist and such and that i should stay in my room make noise and pretend i don't exist...Yeah and people wonder why I never really leave my room and love cosplay because HEY I can become someone else for awhile..... ^_^
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #19385
Viveeh
mango puff

It's starting to bug me that the local cons usually have trouble putting the time of signing up for the cosplay contest on their pages. I've been told twice now that it would be 'next week', once that it would be 'tomorrow' (which was five days ago), and since then I haven't heard a word of it. And if they do successfully put the date up, they probably won't even think about mentioning the exact time, like my last con. So here I am stressing all the day, refreshing the page, waiting for the signing up to open, and I'm not even able to sleep at night because I'm worried I'll miss the contest. *cries*
Calne Ca human ver.
Prince Alphie

Support me
My Instagram
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #19386
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
I think you can claim a cosplay if it's your original design. :P

But in her case, that girl is really unreasonable. For sure there are more cosplayers of the character, too, and it's not her own character in any way.
Yes but that is obviously not the case here and it's not what we're talking about. That's a completely different story. ._.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #19387
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

My newest pet peeve is the fact that all the items that I need for cosplay seem to be online and I don't have any online money/credit card/debit card at the moment..lol.
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #19388
Viveeh
mango puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Yes but that is obviously not the case here and it's not what we're talking about. That's a completely different story. ._.
You say you can't and must not claim a cosplay, I say yes you can in some cases.
Calne Ca human ver.
Prince Alphie

Support me
My Instagram
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #19389
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
It's starting to bug me that the local cons usually have trouble putting the time of signing up for the cosplay contest on their pages. I've been told twice now that it would be 'next week', once that it would be 'tomorrow' (which was five days ago), and since then I haven't heard a word of it. And if they do successfully put the date up, they probably won't even think about mentioning the exact time, like my last con. So here I am stressing all the day, refreshing the page, waiting for the signing up to open, and I'm not even able to sleep at night because I'm worried I'll miss the contest. *cries*
Is this an online contest? Or do you mean registering for the masquerade?

I can't speak for your con, but speaking as someone who has seen the back end of how a novice volunteer-run con is made, be patient with them and give them the benefit of the doubt. I have friends who try to put together a mid-sized con and spend half their summer doing it, and their own money. There's only about 7 or 8 of them on the committee, and they do everything. You are probably one in a large pile of emails asking about masquerade registration, among other things. The committee's priority is probably to rent things, secure everything with the venue, book performances, panelists, and guests, gather volunteers and get them organized, and nail down programming. You have no idea what a nightmare it is to do programming for a con.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #19390
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Not having a good desk specifically for cosplay to work on things. I have a great amount of floor space for cutting fabric and such - but it kills my back to work there on basic things other than cutting. Though I also have the comfort of my bed - but minimal space means everything gets lost in my bedding or constantly drops on the floor! We have a large dining room table, but I'm only allowed to use my sewing machine on it, and nothing else - my Mom is worried I'd scratch the table >.>

So yeah, I'd like a nice desk for multi-tasking, something spacious, things won't get lost and get a nice comfy chair where my back doesn't make me feel old! But I don't have the room...

Damn.
http://ikeahackers.net

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #19391
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Otaku View Post
Okay, I need to get this off my chest.

So there's this girl criticizing my cosplays, right? Especially my Maka cosplay. In fact, she started criticizing before I even got the costume. When I first posted the status "I ordered my Maka cosplay; so excited! " she comments "I was Maka first... :/". I replied telling her that was cool and stuff but she jsut keeps mentioning how she already cosplayed Maka so I just started to ignore it. So today I posted pictures of my costume and she's like "The wig isn't the right color, her hair is brown not blonde." Okay, FIRST of all, I WASN'T WEARING A WIG IN THE PICTURE. Second of all, Maka has gray-blonde hair, not brown hair. Just tossing that one out there. And after I POLITELY mention that (I didn't even make a big deal out of it, I just tagged it on to the end of my comment), she's like "No it's obviously brown." My friends call me a color Nazi. I am seriously technicaly when it comes to color (I practically cried when my sweatervest came in too bright of a yellow. XD).
I can't stand people like that...especially when they're wrong. (Maka's haircolor has always seemed ash blonde to me)

And where has she been the past three years? Soul Eater is ridiculously popular..there are so many Maka cosplayers out there. Thinking she can "claim" it is silly.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #19392
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Otaku View Post
-snip-
Oh jeez, it's always great to deal with over-possessive cosplayers -_- And it seems to depend on the costume with my friends, but, for the most part they're okay, either showing me how to do stuff better or going "COSTUME TWINSIES~" ...aside from a couple. xD

One thing I really hate is people who are jealous and try to rag on you for it but don't outright say it :| If you're jealous and tell me, I get that jealous isn't primarily a negative word, and I'd even try to give you tips on what you can do to do it a bit better! But if you don't tell me and start insulting me instead, you get blocked and anything you said gets deleted. End of story.

Peeve: Getting inspiration for cosplay at all the wrong times!! D: And figuring out that cosplaywig's wigs are too small to fit on your hair if you keep growing it out ORZ But they're so pretty...but I can't have QnQ
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #19393
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post
I can't stand people like that...especially when they're wrong. (Maka's haircolor has always seemed ash blonde to me)

And where has she been the past three years? Soul Eater is ridiculously popular..there are so many Maka cosplayers out there. Thinking she can "claim" it is silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy. View Post
Oh jeez, it's always great to deal with over-possessive cosplayers -_- And it seems to depend on the costume with my friends, but, for the most part they're okay, either showing me how to do stuff better or going "COSTUME TWINSIES~" ...aside from a couple. xD

One thing I really hate is people who are jealous and try to rag on you for it but don't outright say it :| If you're jealous and tell me, I get that jealous isn't primarily a negative word, and I'd even try to give you tips on what you can do to do it a bit better! But if you don't tell me and start insulting me instead, you get blocked and anything you said gets deleted. End of story.

Peeve: Getting inspiration for cosplay at all the wrong times!! D: And figuring out that cosplaywig's wigs are too small to fit on your hair if you keep growing it out ORZ But they're so pretty...but I can't have QnQ
Agree with both of you! I ended up blocking her because it's just not worth the drama over something like that. :P

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #19394
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Pet Peeve of the Day: People who can't follow rules. Whether it be convention rules or coscom rules, people who can't follow rules grate on my nerves. Or even worse, people who complain about the rules. Nobody is forcing you to be here, and even though you paid to go to the convention, you were expected to read the rules prior to registering. And if it's coscom, this is a free service, don't complain. =3=

Oh, and on the flipside, people who are too harsh about enforcing the rules. Especially when they aren't con/site staff. That's just a tad obnoxious. Good on you for enforcing rules as they should be enforced, but don't be a jerk about it.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #19395
itsuxmasa

I can't stand when people turn cosplaying into a race. Like when people cosplay from something that hasn't even been made yet. When it was announced that the Legends of Korra was going to be made everyone got happy and when they released character designs or pictures of Korra and the rest of the characters before the show came out people had to cosplay as her just to gloat about how they cosplayed her first. I can understand wanting attention, because that's a part of cosplay, but that is the annoying way to do it. It's not a freakin race to see who will do it first.
itsuxmasa is offline   Reply With Quote