Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 02-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #181
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livengood
Well after doing a double check it's actually royal blue crepe back poly satin( I don't really know the difference, ^_^; ). The color is pretty much similar to This

I would actually love to make Yukari's dress. I only wish their was an actual color version I could find.
Do a google image search for "Yukari blue dress" or something like that. You get a couple of headshots in their blue coloring, and there's one small thumbnail in blue. It COULD work for the dress....I'll try to dig up the reference picture I have iin color, because the thumbnail returns a dead link.

KuroHana: I totally agree about "sexy" concepts without design thought. People give myself and final_memories flak for having done the Dion Rogers' Rinoa for her, but at least it's an existing design (Rogers' character design for Rinoa if she were in Kingdom Hearts), and still holds true to the costume design of Rinoa for the most part.
If you're going to do a "concept" cosplay, do research in the existing design of the character, and draw up some designs that you think would work, get others' opinions, etc. Keep the integrity of the original character.

Last edited by SkippingSith : 02-01-2006 at 09:28 AM.
SkippingSith is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #182
Jade Mustang
...Balls?

Rants

My gripes: (sorry about length)

People who have no respect for how much time and effort went into your work. People who just help themselves to your props or touch your costume without permission. I mean I don't mind letting people touch parts of my costume but some of them are made with fabric that stains easily or tears easily so I would prefer people ask before touching.

Another big one is cosplayers who have the most gorgeous costumes but act like 4 year olds. I mean don't you think that perhaps a little maturity wouldnt hurt? I mean if they're an immature character fine, but since when Did Sailor pluto walk down the hall randomly shoving people around?

People who don't bathe. Sorry to be mean but its true. when a person smells so bad you can't stand talking to them because you feel physically sick to your stomach it's sad. Now I know people like that and They're nice people, you just can't stand being near them. There are showers in the rooms and I'm sure it doesn't take that long to just wash up. and wear deodorant. I thought it was common practice to wear it?

another one is cosplayers who are rude to people or ignore people when they ask for a picture. You are in a costume people! Of COURSE you are going to be asked for Pictures.

6 People who insult other cosplayers because of size, race, gender etc. Cosplay is about having fun, not about who can look the most like their character. It's not about being the best, or the prettiest, its about having FUN. I'm a larger cosplayer, and I've had my share of insults but you know what? I don't care. I spent a lot of time on my costume and I am proud to wear it. Anyone who puts down another person for their cosplay is just showing how immature and closed minded they really are.

And my last gripe. cosplayers who skank everything up just for camera exposure. Now I'm not intentionally being rude or bitter because I can't wear said costumes. I am making a valid point. there are plenty of younger people walking aound at conventions and there are some costumes that really shouldn't be worn in that type of environment. Not official costumes as much as these made up ones. Granted I have seen some wonderful original concept cosplays and they are beautiful! But a lot aren't. I saw cosplayers at Anime North 2005 dressed a Dona and Gambler (Lady Luck) Yuna from FFX and X-2 and They did a beautiful job! Yes their outfits were revealing, but it was accurate and they were modest about it. They graciously accepted compliments and didn't go out of their way for attention. They showed a lot of maturity and people looked at them positively because of it.

Now on the other side. Running around in a bra and underwear and calling yourself Theif such and such just to get people to pay attention to you is not only inappropriate it is an insult to those who put a lot of effort into their sexier costumes (such as the girls in my last example). or doing Sexy no Jutsu of female ninjas. Honestly It's sickening. People have said it before in this post and I will say it now. It's not stylish and its not cool. In fact those people paying attention to you is not the type of attention you want. If you're going to do a 'sexy' cosplay by all means do so, but remember to be sensible about it. Take into account the people at the con, and the rules. You should be setting a good example. If you are mature and tasteful about it a sexy cosplay can be a success but crossing the line to skanky cosplay is an insult not only to the character and designer, but an insult to yourself. Have a little respect for you own body.

FF VII AC -Aerith //~~//.hack//SIGN - BT //~~ // Malice Mizer - Mana (Le Ciel White version) //~~ //Fullmetal Alchemist - Riza Hawkeye //~~// Inuyasha - Kikyo

Last edited by Jade Mustang : 02-01-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Jade Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #183
halafax
Mad scientist

My pet peeves have been stated here atleast half a dozen times cause well most ppl will dislike the same things.

Body odor, EWWW!! At Dragon Con the staff had to implement the 5,2,2, rule. Five hours of sleep a nite, two showers and two meals.
One of my friends a couple of years ago went and got a tool belt and ran filled it with hygene products, soap, deordorant, ferbreeze, lysol etc and put a towel on his shoulders and went as Mr. Clean. I wish I had that pic.

Touchy ppl. I do not like touchy ppl. Esp when they dont ask. Last year someone almost knocked over my death hauler because they wanted to touch it. I caught it before it fell, but I asked the guy not to touch it, he got pissy and asked why do i have it at con it I dont want it touched. I said its a prop not a ride.

Rude ppl. I hate it when ppl dont get the clue watch out for other ppl's costumes. I know I put alot of time and effort in my costume and I try to make sure its not going to get ruined during the con. I watched a girl in a really elaborate costume get her dress shredded in the escelator because the moron behind her was standing on her train. She had it gathered up so as to make sure that she didnt get it caught and he managed to step on it anyway.

I also hate psycho fangirls and boys. OMG you are (insert character name) and then either they follow you around all day trying to make friends or they keep touching your props and costume. If you are lucky you get a touchy feely person that want to touch you cause they think that since you are in costume its like being at the zoo....I am not an animal!! Grrrr!!! Nearly lost my cool when some one was tugging at my cloak two years ago.

Above all else if you are wearing a provocative costume fine, but just because you are at a con does not give you the excuse to dress like a hooker just to make sure that ppl notice you. Dragon Con is a great con but I was wondering if I was at the wrong con a couple of times because of the number of women wearing nothing more than victoria's secret under clothing. Im a guy and I dont mind see such things, but there is a limit to what should be passable and what should be left at home....

The only other thing I hate are ppl that think because they have a certain costume that they are the gods of the world. There is a group of Drow Elves at Dragon Con that either dont get out of character, or are just that ignorant, but when you tell them nice digs, and how did you do that they get snippy like they think they are better than you. I asked about a piece or armor, and he got mad cause I didnt pay attention to the rest of the costume. Personally it was the details that made the costume. Anyone can put on mideval garb and put on black face paint and pretend to be a drow, the difference is whether the costume itself is good or not.

Im done...
Unread 02-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #184
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

Halafax: IAWTC on DragonCon. Body paint does not a costume make.
SkippingSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #185
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

Halafax: (about the elves) That's horrible! I am glad i haven't met those snippy people...but i never talk to people that just look so anti-social! PUT A SMILE ON PEOPLE! Sheesh. Cosplay is a people-thing. You can't expect to not get approached, but there are so many people that just look so un-approacheable that it's scary o.O

Potential Costumes Aisha Clan Clan, WilyKat, Storm
!*Jessi-Chan*! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #186
Earthbounder
In the name of SCIENCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halafax
I also hate psycho fangirls and boys. OMG you are (insert character name) and then either they follow you around all day trying to make friends or they keep touching your props and costume. If you are lucky you get a touchy feely person that want to touch you cause they think that since you are in costume its like being at the zoo....I am not an animal!! Grrrr!!! Nearly lost my cool when some one was tugging at my cloak two years ago.
Now that I've actually been to my first con, I think I can comment on this...

I completely agree with this part. Being Hughes at ALA managed to attract a group of fangirls who took it upon themselves to say extremely lude sexual comments and continuously glomp me even I had asked them to stop. Not only that, one of them actually attached a leash to my costume and expected me to follow her around.

Lucky for me security stopped them then they saw me actually running for the elevators to get away from 'em. I changed in L (Death Note) and luckily when I came back down for closing ceremonies they didn't even recognize me.

So fangirls (Rabid ones at least...I don't mind some of you >.>) are now on my top pet peeve list.

Anime Los Angeles
-Amarao (FLCL)
-Free (Soul Eater)
-Hanekoma (The World Ends With You)

Fanime
-Ringo Rodeagain (Steel Ball Run)

Anime Expo
-Gene (God Hand)
-Aleister Crowley (D-Gray. Man)
Earthbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #187
youjik33

At the other end of the spectrum from scary fangirls/fanboys who stalk and grab you, you've got the people who hate your character and say so, quite rudely.

Now, I don't think you have to pretend to love a character to save the cosplayers' feelings, but you don't have to say "Yeah, I hated him so much!" the instant you recognize their costume. If you just say "I didn't really like [character] that much, but wow, your costume is awesome!", or something like that, you can be honest about your opinion of the character without being downright rude to someone who spent the time and energy making the costume.

Shutocon (April 5-7, Lansing, Michigan)
JAFAX (June 22-23, Allendale, Michigan)
Otakon (August 9-11, Baltimore, Maryland)
youjik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #188
Vicky
Now with more bwag

I would agree, but almost half the times that happens it actually does exist and people ridicule the cosplayer. Like there's a gown that Suu from Clover wears and I've seen an entire thread of people bitching about it and there's little me saying "IT IS A REAL COSTUME SHE WEARS IT IN THE FIRST ISSUE, STFU!!!" ;D

But the other half of the time, yeah it happens :\
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #189
ladysubaru25
Karaoke Queen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthbounder
Being Hughes at ALA managed to attract a group of fangirls who took it upon themselves to say extremely lude sexual comments and continuously glomp me even I had asked them to stop. Not only that, one of them actually attached a leash to my costume and expected me to follow her around.
A *LEASH*?!? You've got to be kidding, right? (Actually, that doesn't surprise me. It's one of the things that kind of worries me about doing my FMA cosplay for Anime Boston... the possibility of rabid fanboys... >.<)

And while we're on the topic of leashes, that is definitely one of my convention pet-peeves. WTF is up with the little kids and their leashes?!? Are you really THAT worried about getting separated from your friends, or is it just a socially-acceptable outlet for one of your closet fetishes? (13-year-olds with fetishes... *cringe*)

This is a great thread. Almost all of the things that yank my piss-chain have been mentioned already (mad glompers, con-funk, drama, elitism...) but along the lines of cosplayers who make spectacular costumes and then neglect a wig, there are ALSO those cosplayers who make spectacular costumes, and then insist on weraing ABSOLUTELY NO MAKEUP with them.

Really. If you are wearing a costume, you will have photos taken of you. If you have photos taken of you, your face will get washed out. You really need to at least use a foundation of some sort to even out your skin tone/eliminate shininess as well as something to keep your eyes from disappearing into your face (this goes for the guys too! )

People may say that it is "out of character" to wear makeup for a specific costume, but you're not "that character". You're a real person wearing a costume of that character. Your character is pen and ink and they can be drawn with perfect skin and whatnot. As humans, we need to do a little more work.

You're gonna have pictures taken of you, especially if you are participating in a photoshoot. A little simple makeup really completes the look, IMO.
Unread 02-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #190
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysubaru25

People may say that it is "out of character" to wear makeup for a specific costume, but you're not "that character". You're a real person wearing a costume of that character. Your character is pen and ink and they can be drawn with perfect skin and whatnot. As humans, we need to do a little more work.
I love that!!! QUOTE OF THE YEAR! But...I don't wear makeup AT ALL so i guess that's kind of contradicting myself. I don't think you have to wear makeup...esp. if i know nothing about wearing any form of makeup (except lipgloss) I don't wear it in the "real world" and i don't wear it while i cosplay *shrugs* people can peeve at me if they want, lol!

Potential Costumes Aisha Clan Clan, WilyKat, Storm
!*Jessi-Chan*! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #191
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by !*Jessi-Chan*!
I love that!!! QUOTE OF THE YEAR! But...I don't wear makeup AT ALL so i guess that's kind of contradicting myself. I don't think you have to wear makeup...esp. if i know nothing about wearing any form of makeup (except lipgloss) I don't wear it in the "real world" and i don't wear it while i cosplay *shrugs* people can peeve at me if they want, lol!
I'm with you there, Jessi-Chan. I never wear makeup either it's just too much bloody work! haha, moreover, I hate make-up as I have a bad habit of rubbing my eyes and I hate the feeling of caked on powder on my face.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #192
ladysubaru25
Karaoke Queen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by !*Jessi-Chan*!
I love that!!! QUOTE OF THE YEAR! But...I don't wear makeup AT ALL so i guess that's kind of contradicting myself.
I certainly don't wear a heck of a lot of make up in every day life (who do I have to impress at work, afterall? ) and I'll even go out to a bar or club compeltely bare-faced and think nothing of it. But when I'm cosplaying, I tend to go all-out. I do theatrical-grade foundation, and full sets of fake lashes and everything... mostly because I *know* that photos will be taken of me, and I find myself to be QUITE unphotogenic if I *don't* cake on the makeup first! I wanna look good for 'da fanboys...

The makeup section of cosplay.com has some awesom tutorials for beginners who are looking to hone some basic makeup skills. I also learn a lot from watching shows like "What not to Wear" on TLC. Their makeup artist is a friggen GODDESS.

But if makeup isn't your thing, don't stress. (I know there are allergy reasons and whatnot... My sister has eczema and can't wear most foundations...) I'm talking mostly about wearing makeup for photoshoots here. Flash photography does horrible things to your face, so I am giving a warning against that.
Unread 02-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #193
youjik33

I hate makeup. I don't own makeup. I will not wear it unless the costume specifically calls for it (i.e., for my Weda costume I drew circles on my cheeks with liquid eyeliner).

If the price I pay for being more comfortable is to look washed out in photos, so be it = )

Shutocon (April 5-7, Lansing, Michigan)
JAFAX (June 22-23, Allendale, Michigan)
Otakon (August 9-11, Baltimore, Maryland)
youjik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #194
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I agree. I don't wear makeup for my cosplays unless it is called for and I can count on one hand the times in real life that I have worn makeup. (Junior prom, Senior Prom, Senior pictures and a friend's wedding) I have nice skin and so I don't feel the need to wear it on a regular basis and most of my cosplays don't require it either.
Unread 02-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #195
Enk
Keeper of the Ninja Elf

disrespectful con goers are on top of my list. If someone goes to an Anime con not dressed as an Anime character they should not be talked to like they are the scum of the earth.
Heck, someone dressed up as Jack Sparrow to a Lord of the Rings convention and he was the most popular person there! Acceptance is not THAT hard.

squeeing fangirls... well I can tolerate them but my ears cannot.

really awesome costumes with incredible detail and then the hair is just the cosplayers hair which isn't the right style or colour.