Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 586 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 11-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #19756
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth
 
Ineedaname9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,567
People assuming I'm doing 'fem' version or something of a comic book character.

I'm a crossplayer at heart and thus going to do the normal male versions. I don't want to do 'female' version or whatever, I'm perfectly willing to modify my body for it.

I guess crossplaying as men characters (other then Robin) is just something not normally done?
__________________
Working on: Thorin Oakenshield - The Hobbit, Jon Snow - GoT, Deathstroke - Teen Titans
Events: Hoku Kon 15, Amazing Hawaii Comic Con, Hawaii Amine Matsuri
Photography Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #19757
Elycium
Applique ate my soul
 
Elycium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post
2) Cosplayers who wear their glasses during photos. So, I know some people have really bad vision. And I get that, I have to wear glasses myself. But you could wear some contacts? And if that isn't possible for you... then just take your glasses off for a brief moment to take pictures? ;w; I hope this doesn't sound mean~
While I agree that it would be nice for people who have to wear glasses to take them off for photos, it would really be nice if photographers would give us the chance to do so. That's a huge peeve of mine. When people ask for a photo, and the cosplayer says sure and go to take their glasses off, and the photographer just snaps the photo and goes. It just sort of leaves me going "uh...okay... would 30 seconds have killed you?"
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #19758
carnival
tl;dr
 
carnival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elycium View Post
While I agree that it would be nice for people who have to wear glasses to take them off for photos, it would really be nice if photographers would give us the chance to do so. That's a huge peeve of mine. When people ask for a photo, and the cosplayer says sure and go to take their glasses off, and the photographer just snaps the photo and goes. It just sort of leaves me going "uh...okay... would 30 seconds have killed you?"
Omg, YES! I have only met ONE photographer that was like, "Okay lets make sure everything is straight! Have your friend look you over!" before he took my photos.

I was so shocked... like seriously. I have never heard of another photographer doing that.
__________________
Fall down the rabbit hole, and wander with me on my cosplay adventures~

Facebook page: Monochrome Tea
Tumblr: monochrometea.tumblr.com

2013 Convention Schedule
SacAnime Winter
Animation on Display
Fanime
Kintoki Con
Comic Con
Japan Expo (US)
carnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #19759
AnimeLuxray25
Registered User
 
AnimeLuxray25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,211
When you think you threaded a needle on your first time but you actually missed.



SO CLOSE. ;_;
(more like a sewing pet peeve, though)
__________________
I no longer cosplay.
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #19760
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!
 
Fish-and-Chips-Yum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 926
Not having enough money to afford anime, manga, video games, AND cosplay. ;A;
__________________
~Cosplays~


+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #19761
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 15,325
REALLY WEIRDLY SHAPED PATTERNS. I'm looking at you, Quorra lightsuit. Absolutely nothing is making the side cutaways look right and the collar is driving me batty!
__________________
Deviantart
Storenvy
Facebook (Artist alley only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #19762
Tigress
Registered User
 
Tigress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post
1) Photographers taking pictures of you at a convention and NEVER sending them back to you. Seriously. I give them my contact info and everything... This really makes me mad, especially when they show you the pictures and they came out really good. .___. Then in the back of my head I'm wondering if there are photos of me and my friends out there on the internet that aren't credited...
That's why I'm starting to hire professionals to do pictures with me. While I like contributing to an up and coming amateur's portfolio, I also want the end product. If I'm paying them, they tend to be much more reliable and I'll get the photos on a nice flash drive or CD.
__________________
Kat's Play

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #19763
Ballira
Ballira
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 26
Ikkicon 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post
1) Photographers taking pictures of you at a convention and NEVER sending them back to you. Seriously. I give them my contact info and everything... This really makes me mad, especially when they show you the pictures and they came out really good. .___. Then in the back of my head I'm wondering if there are photos of me and my friends out there on the internet that aren't credited...
Actually, this isn't a pet peeve but a head's up. If you happen to be going to Ikkicon 2012 in December, there's supposedly going to be a professional photographer there (just a rumor so far). BUT! There's ALSO someone who is taking pictures for the site who is wanting to get cosplayers to come the the piano area at a certain time and take pictures of them one at a time and then a group photo of a bunch of the cosplayers for the Ikkicon website. This way everyone gets to see the results. Sorry if this doesn't apply, though. Just thought the info might help. ^^;

On the same note, I understand I want to see pictures of me in my cosplay, too, but it's very rare for someone to ask me for my picture. Normally they're asking me to TAKE the picture. ;w;
__________________
Austin, Texas cosplayer looking for a group to hang out with! Give me a shout out!
Ballira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #19764
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha
 
Ai no Miko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post
2) Cosplayers who wear their glasses during photos. So, I know some people have really bad vision. And I get that, I have to wear glasses myself. But you could wear some contacts? And if that isn't possible for you... then just take your glasses off for a brief moment to take pictures? ;w; I hope this doesn't sound mean~
I'm guilty of this sadly... but the thing is I am so used to wearing mine I just forget they're on. If it's really going to bug someone who's taking a photo of my cosplay I honestly wouldn't be all that offended if they were like, "hey, do you mind if I get a quick shot of you with out your glasses?" As for the contacts thing, well no, sorry I CAN'T wear contacts. That pisses off a lot of people for various reasons since it means I can't change my eye colour for certain characters either, but that's a whole other peeve entirely.
__________________
"It's amazing what a performer will do when the camera is rolling... it's probably a psychiatric illness!"
~Rick Mercer
Ai no Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #19765
carnival
tl;dr
 
carnival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballira View Post
Actually, this isn't a pet peeve but a head's up. If you happen to be going to Ikkicon 2012 in December, there's supposedly going to be a professional photographer there (just a rumor so far). BUT! There's ALSO someone who is taking pictures for the site who is wanting to get cosplayers to come the the piano area at a certain time and take pictures of them one at a time and then a group photo of a bunch of the cosplayers for the Ikkicon website. This way everyone gets to see the results. Sorry if this doesn't apply, though. Just thought the info might help. ^^;

On the same note, I understand I want to see pictures of me in my cosplay, too, but it's very rare for someone to ask me for my picture. Normally they're asking me to TAKE the picture. ;w;
I wish I could go to every con in the US, but sadly I am poor and can only attend cons in California. :3

Your post actually reminds me of another pet peeve! Photographers who ONLY take pictures of the cosplayers who have wear those just-walked-out-of-the-artbook costumes. Like, that's cool that you want to take their picture and all... but what about the other cosplayers? They worked hard on their stuff too! It may not be as elaborate, but they deserve to have their picture taken too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai no Miko View Post
I'm guilty of this sadly... but the thing is I am so used to wearing mine I just forget they're on. If it's really going to bug someone who's taking a photo of my cosplay I honestly wouldn't be all that offended if they were like, "hey, do you mind if I get a quick shot of you with out your glasses?" As for the contacts thing, well no, sorry I CAN'T wear contacts. That pisses off a lot of people for various reasons since it means I can't change my eye colour for certain characters either, but that's a whole other peeve entirely.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean colored contacts. I meant prescription contacts... so one can be glasses free at a convention while they are cosplaying. xD I have to buy colored contacts if my cosplay calls for it. Its just a personal preference of mine. But if someone doesn't want to do the same for their costume, then I don't really care. They're being smart and they get to save on money! I wouldn't badger one of my friends, or a fellow cosplayer for not having the same eyes as the fictional character they are representing. That's just... silly.
__________________
Fall down the rabbit hole, and wander with me on my cosplay adventures~

Facebook page: Monochrome Tea
Tumblr: monochrometea.tumblr.com

2013 Convention Schedule
SacAnime Winter
Animation on Display
Fanime
Kintoki Con
Comic Con
Japan Expo (US)
carnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #19766
Quinn the Shiki
He Married that Geranium
 
Quinn the Shiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,843
cosplay group hypocrisy.

My friend has a dog collar for Pluto from Kuroshitsuji, and I sent him a message last night asking if I could borrow it for a quick photoshoot since I'm revamping my Ludwig from Ludwig Kakumei and in the outfit I'm doing, Lui wears a collar. Well this guy went and told our other friend that I'm trying to take it from him and she sends me a message that I need to suck it up, it belongs to him and I should just take one off of my stuffed animals. I didn't ask him if I could have it, I asked him if I could borrow it for an afternoon, but of course I'm the bad guy for asking. What makes me mad though is this guy is always asking for me to give him bias tape or let him borrow my wigs when I really don't want to. He's never scolded for asking when I don't want to lend him stuff, I'm yelled at with "he just wants to borrow it! He's not gonna keep it!" with the wigs or "You aren't using it anymore!" with the bias tape.

so when I want to borrow cosplay stuff, I need to deal with it because it belongs to him, but when he wants my stuff, I'm a jerk if I don't lend it. Gah, when did cosplaying become so hostile?
__________________
Working on:
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) Revis/Levi Baskerville-Pandora Hearts, Peggy Carter-Marvel's Agent Carter, Jessica Jones-Netflix's Jessica Jones, Noah Czerny-The Raven Cycle, Rintaro Okabe-Steins;Gate, Chuuya Nakahara-Bungou Stray Dogs, Gilbert Nightray-Pandora Hearts, Hugh the bee boy-Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Graphic Novel version,) Cynthia-Pokemon,
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #19767
TMLiza
Make All The Things!
 
TMLiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
cosplay group hypocrisy.

My friend has a dog collar for Pluto from Kuroshitsuji, and I sent him a message last night asking if I could borrow it for a quick photoshoot since I'm revamping my Ludwig from Ludwig Kakumei and in the outfit I'm doing, Lui wears a collar. Well this guy went and told our other friend that I'm trying to take it from him and she sends me a message that I need to suck it up, it belongs to him and I should just take one off of my stuffed animals. I didn't ask him if I could have it, I asked him if I could borrow it for an afternoon, but of course I'm the bad guy for asking. What makes me mad though is this guy is always asking for me to give him bias tape or let him borrow my wigs when I really don't want to. He's never scolded for asking when I don't want to lend him stuff, I'm yelled at with "he just wants to borrow it! He's not gonna keep it!" with the wigs or "You aren't using it anymore!" with the bias tape.

so when I want to borrow cosplay stuff, I need to deal with it because it belongs to him, but when he wants my stuff, I'm a jerk if I don't lend it. Gah, when did cosplaying become so hostile?
That just stinks. I personally would not let him borrow stuff from me ever again. >_>

My current peeve is hair length consistency. There's a character from a Flaming June's song(think Vocaloid videos but without Vocaloids) that I really want to cosplay but her hair length changes. In the end of the PV(the only scene of her older adult version) her hair is put up in a small ponytail that would only reach her shoulders or a little past it if down. In a piece of art for the song though, the girl has her hair down and it reaches her mid back. Uh...what. That is a very big difference in length there. -_-
__________________
Working on...
Natsume(Tokyo Ravens)|Breathe With You Miku Module(Vocaloid)|Wukong Gudako(Fate/Grand Order)

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #19768
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face
 
LinkPwnsGanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
cosplay group hypocrisy.

My friend has a dog collar for Pluto from Kuroshitsuji, and I sent him a message last night asking if I could borrow it for a quick photoshoot since I'm revamping my Ludwig from Ludwig Kakumei and in the outfit I'm doing, Lui wears a collar. Well this guy went and told our other friend that I'm trying to take it from him and she sends me a message that I need to suck it up, it belongs to him and I should just take one off of my stuffed animals. I didn't ask him if I could have it, I asked him if I could borrow it for an afternoon, but of course I'm the bad guy for asking. What makes me mad though is this guy is always asking for me to give him bias tape or let him borrow my wigs when I really don't want to. He's never scolded for asking when I don't want to lend him stuff, I'm yelled at with "he just wants to borrow it! He's not gonna keep it!" with the wigs or "You aren't using it anymore!" with the bias tape.

so when I want to borrow cosplay stuff, I need to deal with it because it belongs to him, but when he wants my stuff, I'm a jerk if I don't lend it. Gah, when did cosplaying become so hostile?
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
That just stinks. I personally would not let him borrow stuff from me ever again. >_>
I agree. If he's gonna behave like than fine, I personally wouldn't ever lend that person anything anymore.

************
For me it's not having any money for these sales the stores are having
__________________

W.I.P:
Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon 41%
Ballerina Ladybug - Miraculous Ladybug Ballet au 58%
Emma Swan (ballgown) - Once Upon A Time 60%
Monika Drevis - Mad Father
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #19769
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing
 
ashe2kawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
cosplay group hypocrisy.

My friend has a dog collar for Pluto from Kuroshitsuji, and I sent him a message last night asking if I could borrow it for a quick photoshoot since I'm revamping my Ludwig from Ludwig Kakumei and in the outfit I'm doing, Lui wears a collar. Well this guy went and told our other friend that I'm trying to take it from him and she sends me a message that I need to suck it up, it belongs to him and I should just take one off of my stuffed animals. I didn't ask him if I could have it, I asked him if I could borrow it for an afternoon, but of course I'm the bad guy for asking. What makes me mad though is this guy is always asking for me to give him bias tape or let him borrow my wigs when I really don't want to. He's never scolded for asking when I don't want to lend him stuff, I'm yelled at with "he just wants to borrow it! He's not gonna keep it!" with the wigs or "You aren't using it anymore!" with the bias tape.

so when I want to borrow cosplay stuff, I need to deal with it because it belongs to him, but when he wants my stuff, I'm a jerk if I don't lend it. Gah, when did cosplaying become so hostile?
Woooooowwwww! That is terrible. If he can't do the same, why does he expect to handed something without grief? Gotta say i agree with Touchmon, why let someone who ungrateful and hypocritical take advantage of the kindness you have, yet smack you down when ask the same. I know it's super hard though, cause having friends pinned against you can be difficult though in the least i really wish you well in handling the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
That just stinks. I personally would not let him borrow stuff from me ever again. >_>

My current peeve is hair length consistency. There's a character from a Flaming June's song(think Vocaloid videos but without Vocaloids) that I really want to cosplay but her hair length changes. In the end of the PV(the only scene of her older adult version) her hair is put up in a small ponytail that would only reach her shoulders or a little past it if down. In a piece of art for the song though, the girl has her hair down and it reaches her mid back. Uh...what. That is a very big difference in length there. -_-
^THIS so much! Right now i'm dealing with this problem for Anthy, i plan to do the version with her hair long. Yet at one moment i see it waist high and the next knee length. It also doesn't help when i see a mix blend of her hair curly/wavy or straight. I feel so confused!

Peeve:

Not really a peeve against others, but one for myself. I have this issue with cosplaying characters my friends have at times. Not like "OMIGOD! you're cosplay her, now i have to go find a new one". Not like that, it's kind of like i really like the character then i hear they already have it planned. i feel like if i were to do it i would make them mad or step on their toes in some way. I don't want them to feel anything, so i end up either waiting or not doing it. Trying to get out that feeling though. Besides that nothing really at the moment, like i said i don't feel grief towards them we have the same plans.
__________________


~Working On~
Maria Posada (The Book of Life)~50%
Yuna Ver. Songstress (FFX-2)~0%
Miku Hatsune (Sweet Devil)~0%
Scanty (PSG/W Garterbelt)~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~75%
Freya (Chobits)~10%

ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #19770
Asa Gohan
Cussin at Sewing Machine
 
Asa Gohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai no Miko View Post
I'm guilty of this sadly... but the thing is I am so used to wearing mine I just forget they're on. If it's really going to bug someone who's taking a photo of my cosplay I honestly wouldn't be all that offended if they were like, "hey, do you mind if I get a quick shot of you with out your glasses?" As for the contacts thing, well no, sorry I CAN'T wear contacts. That pisses off a lot of people for various reasons since it means I can't change my eye colour for certain characters either, but that's a whole other peeve entirely.
ohhh man that's my problem. Thankfully I remember, i programmed to my brain to think 'can i take your picture' means 'Take off glasses' Practice with a friend, It will become second nature.
__________________
------------------------------
Sabakon 2015
Anime Expo 2016

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Copyright 2002-2016 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.