Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 327 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #19771
Ballira
Ballira

Ikkicon 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post
1) Photographers taking pictures of you at a convention and NEVER sending them back to you. Seriously. I give them my contact info and everything... This really makes me mad, especially when they show you the pictures and they came out really good. .___. Then in the back of my head I'm wondering if there are photos of me and my friends out there on the internet that aren't credited...
Actually, this isn't a pet peeve but a head's up. If you happen to be going to Ikkicon 2012 in December, there's supposedly going to be a professional photographer there (just a rumor so far). BUT! There's ALSO someone who is taking pictures for the site who is wanting to get cosplayers to come the the piano area at a certain time and take pictures of them one at a time and then a group photo of a bunch of the cosplayers for the Ikkicon website. This way everyone gets to see the results. Sorry if this doesn't apply, though. Just thought the info might help. ^^;

On the same note, I understand I want to see pictures of me in my cosplay, too, but it's very rare for someone to ask me for my picture. Normally they're asking me to TAKE the picture. ;w;

Unread 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #19772
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post
2) Cosplayers who wear their glasses during photos. So, I know some people have really bad vision. And I get that, I have to wear glasses myself. But you could wear some contacts? And if that isn't possible for you... then just take your glasses off for a brief moment to take pictures? ;w; I hope this doesn't sound mean~
I'm guilty of this sadly... but the thing is I am so used to wearing mine I just forget they're on. If it's really going to bug someone who's taking a photo of my cosplay I honestly wouldn't be all that offended if they were like, "hey, do you mind if I get a quick shot of you with out your glasses?" As for the contacts thing, well no, sorry I CAN'T wear contacts. That pisses off a lot of people for various reasons since it means I can't change my eye colour for certain characters either, but that's a whole other peeve entirely.
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #19773
carnival
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballira View Post
Actually, this isn't a pet peeve but a head's up. If you happen to be going to Ikkicon 2012 in December, there's supposedly going to be a professional photographer there (just a rumor so far). BUT! There's ALSO someone who is taking pictures for the site who is wanting to get cosplayers to come the the piano area at a certain time and take pictures of them one at a time and then a group photo of a bunch of the cosplayers for the Ikkicon website. This way everyone gets to see the results. Sorry if this doesn't apply, though. Just thought the info might help. ^^;

On the same note, I understand I want to see pictures of me in my cosplay, too, but it's very rare for someone to ask me for my picture. Normally they're asking me to TAKE the picture. ;w;
I wish I could go to every con in the US, but sadly I am poor and can only attend cons in California. :3

Your post actually reminds me of another pet peeve! Photographers who ONLY take pictures of the cosplayers who have wear those just-walked-out-of-the-artbook costumes. Like, that's cool that you want to take their picture and all... but what about the other cosplayers? They worked hard on their stuff too! It may not be as elaborate, but they deserve to have their picture taken too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai no Miko View Post
I'm guilty of this sadly... but the thing is I am so used to wearing mine I just forget they're on. If it's really going to bug someone who's taking a photo of my cosplay I honestly wouldn't be all that offended if they were like, "hey, do you mind if I get a quick shot of you with out your glasses?" As for the contacts thing, well no, sorry I CAN'T wear contacts. That pisses off a lot of people for various reasons since it means I can't change my eye colour for certain characters either, but that's a whole other peeve entirely.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean colored contacts. I meant prescription contacts... so one can be glasses free at a convention while they are cosplaying. xD I have to buy colored contacts if my cosplay calls for it. Its just a personal preference of mine. But if someone doesn't want to do the same for their costume, then I don't really care. They're being smart and they get to save on money! I wouldn't badger one of my friends, or a fellow cosplayer for not having the same eyes as the fictional character they are representing. That's just... silly.

Facebook page: Monochrome Tea
Tumblr: monochrometea.tumblr.com

2013 Convention Schedule
SacAnime Winter
Animation on Display
Fanime
Kintoki Con
Comic Con
Japan Expo (US)
carnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #19774
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

cosplay group hypocrisy.

My friend has a dog collar for Pluto from Kuroshitsuji, and I sent him a message last night asking if I could borrow it for a quick photoshoot since I'm revamping my Ludwig from Ludwig Kakumei and in the outfit I'm doing, Lui wears a collar. Well this guy went and told our other friend that I'm trying to take it from him and she sends me a message that I need to suck it up, it belongs to him and I should just take one off of my stuffed animals. I didn't ask him if I could have it, I asked him if I could borrow it for an afternoon, but of course I'm the bad guy for asking. What makes me mad though is this guy is always asking for me to give him bias tape or let him borrow my wigs when I really don't want to. He's never scolded for asking when I don't want to lend him stuff, I'm yelled at with "he just wants to borrow it! He's not gonna keep it!" with the wigs or "You aren't using it anymore!" with the bias tape.

so when I want to borrow cosplay stuff, I need to deal with it because it belongs to him, but when he wants my stuff, I'm a jerk if I don't lend it. Gah, when did cosplaying become so hostile?
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #19775
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
cosplay group hypocrisy.

My friend has a dog collar for Pluto from Kuroshitsuji, and I sent him a message last night asking if I could borrow it for a quick photoshoot since I'm revamping my Ludwig from Ludwig Kakumei and in the outfit I'm doing, Lui wears a collar. Well this guy went and told our other friend that I'm trying to take it from him and she sends me a message that I need to suck it up, it belongs to him and I should just take one off of my stuffed animals. I didn't ask him if I could have it, I asked him if I could borrow it for an afternoon, but of course I'm the bad guy for asking. What makes me mad though is this guy is always asking for me to give him bias tape or let him borrow my wigs when I really don't want to. He's never scolded for asking when I don't want to lend him stuff, I'm yelled at with "he just wants to borrow it! He's not gonna keep it!" with the wigs or "You aren't using it anymore!" with the bias tape.

so when I want to borrow cosplay stuff, I need to deal with it because it belongs to him, but when he wants my stuff, I'm a jerk if I don't lend it. Gah, when did cosplaying become so hostile?
That just stinks. I personally would not let him borrow stuff from me ever again. >_>

My current peeve is hair length consistency. There's a character from a Flaming June's song(think Vocaloid videos but without Vocaloids) that I really want to cosplay but her hair length changes. In the end of the PV(the only scene of her older adult version) her hair is put up in a small ponytail that would only reach her shoulders or a little past it if down. In a piece of art for the song though, the girl has her hair down and it reaches her mid back. Uh...what. That is a very big difference in length there. -_-

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #19776
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
cosplay group hypocrisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
That just stinks. I personally would not let him borrow stuff from me ever again. >_>
I agree. If he's gonna behave like than fine, I personally wouldn't ever lend that person anything anymore.

For me it's not having any money for these sales the stores are having

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - Attack on Titan 20%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 20%
Wings of Counterattack!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Judy Skellington - Nightmare before Christmas 10%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Nonon Jakuzure - Kill La Kill 5%
Lana - Hyrule Warriors
Lisa Garland - Silent Hill
Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon
Vergil: DMC:5
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #19777
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Quote:
cosplay group hypocrisy.

Woooooowwwww! That is terrible. If he can't do the same, why does he expect to handed something without grief? Gotta say i agree with Touchmon, why let someone who ungrateful and hypocritical take advantage of the kindness you have, yet smack you down when ask the same. I know it's super hard though, cause having friends pinned against you can be difficult though in the least i really wish you well in handling the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post

My current peeve is hair length consistency. There's a character from a Flaming June's song(think Vocaloid videos but without Vocaloids) that I really want to cosplay but her hair length changes. In the end of the PV(the only scene of her older adult version) her hair is put up in a small ponytail that would only reach her shoulders or a little past it if down. In a piece of art for the song though, the girl has her hair down and it reaches her mid back. Uh...what. That is a very big difference in length there. -_-
^THIS so much! Right now i'm dealing with this problem for Anthy, i plan to do the version with her hair long. Yet at one moment i see it waist high and the next knee length. It also doesn't help when i see a mix blend of her hair curly/wavy or straight. I feel so confused!

Peeve:

Not really a peeve against others, but one for myself. I have this issue with cosplaying characters my friends have at times. Not like "OMIGOD! you're cosplay her, now i have to go find a new one". Not like that, it's kind of like i really like the character then i hear they already have it planned. i feel like if i were to do it i would make them mad or step on their toes in some way. I don't want them to feel anything, so i end up either waiting or not doing it. Trying to get out that feeling though. Besides that nothing really at the moment, like i said i don't feel grief towards them we have the same plans.

~Working On/Non Con Currently~
Clawdeen Wolf Ver.Unannounced (Monster High)~20%
Scheherazade Al-Rahman Ver.Cheongsam (Trinity Blood)~0%

~Youmacon 2014 Lineup~
Misuzu Kamio (Air) ~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)~80%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #19778
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai no Miko View Post
ohhh man that's my problem. Thankfully I remember, i programmed to my brain to think 'can i take your picture' means 'Take off glasses' Practice with a friend, It will become second nature.

Anime Expo 2014
Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #19779
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

Thanks everyone. I'm just not gonna let him borrow anything until his attitude changes majorly.

aaaaaand said friend just sent me a message asking if he can borrow my really long blue wig -_- I told him no because it tangles if you look at it funny and is a bitch to comb, which isn't a lie.
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)

Last edited by Quinn The Spazz : 11-26-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #19780
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

Alright, new (and semi ridiculous) peeve:

How short I feel when I take off my Prince Ludwig boots. Being 5 foot 8.5 is nice dangit! T_T

Less ridiculous:
Waiting for stuff DX I ordered my wig for Lui on Friday and it said it'd be here in 3-5 days since it's coming from California. It's already day 3 and I haven't even gotten word that it's shipped! DX I really was hoping to have it by Friday so my friend could trim the bangs and do my makeup and I could finally get some new and improved pictures as Ludwig but it doesn't look like that'll happen now.
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #19781
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

The fact that my city has no major arts and crafts/hobby/fabric stores. It's a college town with a decent population of artsy-type people and it's super irritating not being able to find simple things like craft foam or acrylic paint (other than the professional quality the university sells).

Next con: SacAnime (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #19782
Shirayuki~Chan

Liking too many characters in a series, and not being able to decide who to cosplay.

Particularly Sailor Moon! I can't pick out a Scout, I love Sailor Mars, Sailor Moon, and Sailor Neptune- they all have their positives and negatives and I can't pick!!!

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #19783
touchmon
Make All The Things!

My friend's attempts at "cheering me up"

I tend to look at a lot of cosplay pictures on worldcosplay and DA and stuff like that. Sometimes, while seeing all of the extremely pretty and amazing ones or showing off pictures of people who won various costume contests, I mention how I could never make anything like that. She attempts to cheer me up by saying I'm a beginner and I'm getting there and blah blah blah, stuff like that.

And then I move on to look at another cosplay, usually the very crazy ones like the complicated CLAMP designs or whatever and she says stuff along the lines of, "Yeah. You could never make something like that."

Really? Really? It always makes me so mad whenever she does that. I know I could never make something like that with my skill level. Don't rub it in. -_-

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #19784
Julesie

Having a drink of juice I bought with me to a con, a girl who was hanging with me hits it with her elbow, it soaks my face and cosplay and she just laughs and continues what she was doing.

Luckily for me it was just flavoured water but it still really annoyed me. She didn't know what it was and still laughed.

Also people grabbing my damn curl in my hair. It has a 'lovely' crimp in it now and I can't fix it despite trying, and now the bottom of the hair is starting to get lose, too.
I said I was going to retire the outfit but so many people have begged me not to so I'm going to try and fix the few problems with it.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #19785
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Not finding things for cosplay because it's out-of-season. I want some gladiator sandals for Mama Greece but that's hard to find in December. I'm going to Maui soon so I'll see if I find some in a warm climate.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote