Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #19846
Shana05
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
What I usually do for roommates is check in with them once a month and then again two weeks before the con. I also have it noted in my roommate guidelines that flaking out on me less than two weeks before go-time means PERMANENT blacklisting. Which means you never get to room with me again. Not even pretty please with sugar on top. *

It's a little harsh, but since enacting that rule, I've noticed a sharp drop in last minute drop-outs. And I've now developed a small core of friends who I know are going to be reliable.

*Exceptions are made if you pay for your roomshare anyway or you find someone to fill your spot. And I'll always understand if you can't come because of a sudden emergency like a death in the family, catching pneumonia or your transmission suddenly failing. Just let me know as soon as you realize you can't go.
The problem is that all the people I know are reliable are not really yaoi fans so they chose not to attend Ahn!Con as it's yaoi themed.

One of my roommates agreed to still pay her share but now she is paying for a full half as no one else is willing to room with me. I've had over 6 people drop out on me for this one con, not to mention I was insulted when I made posts searching for people. It made me so upset I considered actually not going and selling my registration to someone. I guess I'm still going but I'm still very upset. I'm unwilling to accept anyone's offers at this point because I've come to expect them to flake.

NebrasKon: Spyro Gijinka (Spyro the Dragon) - Glaceon (Pokemon gijinka) - Hedgehog kigurumi
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #19847
Evig Vinter
It Started Off So Well...

My cosplay pet peeve today is cosplay partners who don't really cosplay very much. I've had a lot of those, and it appears as if that means I'm in the market for a new one...

And just so you guys know, a lot of the Cosplay Deviants are actually very nice people. I've met some of them at conventions, and their cosplays look great in person.

2013 Cosplays:
Unknown at this point

* Dependent upon whether I'm feeling better, or if I'm back in the ER again.
** Dependent upon interests, time, and money
Evig Vinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #19848
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Lack of reference images strikes again. >_<

I'm looking at Makoto's dress from the Eden music video(Idolm@ster Shiny Festa) and the black dress only appears in...two quick scenes that don't give me what the front looks like. >_< Might just go with Takane since I know what hers looks like.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #19849
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meownyan View Post
MAYBE if someone stepped up and said "Put some clothes on for crying out loud, you don't have to do that for people to like you." it wouldn't be such a proliferated plague.

But just straight up using and abusing the word cosplay for money makes me sick.
This line of thinking is probably my [pet peeve]. I don't care for it either, but put down the torch and pitchfork already.

They are adults. It's not illegal. Does it make your moral compass point south? Then stop looking or bringing it up and move on. Holy simplicity Batman...
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #19850
Freak-a-deak

My current pet peeve is when costume color combinations look horrible in real life. I'm almost done with my Iori Minase (Smoky Thrill) costume from The Idolm@ster and, let me tell you, the color combination is hideous in reality. Burgundy, purple, and blue/green don't go well together outside of anime/video games.
Freak-a-deak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #19851
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
The problem is that all the people I know are reliable are not really yaoi fans so they chose not to attend Ahn!Con as it's yaoi themed.

One of my roommates agreed to still pay her share but now she is paying for a full half as no one else is willing to room with me. I've had over 6 people drop out on me for this one con, not to mention I was insulted when I made posts searching for people. It made me so upset I considered actually not going and selling my registration to someone. I guess I'm still going but I'm still very upset. I'm unwilling to accept anyone's offers at this point because I've come to expect them to flake.
I've been there. It's an absolute chore to recruit people for my room at Nekocon. It's a bad time of the year for most people and I absolutely refuse to room with people I don't know unless one of my current roommates can vouch for them. I have two people that always room with me (and they chip in for gas since I'll make a side trip to pick them up), but it's still a stretch.

Maybe just eat the higher cost this year and spend the con making super best friends to room with next year?

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #19852
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Oh man, hotel room woes. I'm right there.

I did all of the scoping for Katsucon months ago-- like in October. Priced out rooms at four or five different places, looked into transport, calculated discounts, did budget plans for the rooms depending on how many people we have with us, but alas, no room.

My friend was supposed to get us a room months ago, and I'm still waiting. I continually pester her about it too, that I'm even getting annoyed with myself about it. I don't turn 18 until after Katsu, so I can't put the room in my name, but on my birthday I will be grabbing out Otakon hotel room so we don't have this problem again.

SIGH.
  • Blanche (Pokemon GO): 0% (Planning) MAGfest 2017
  • Lelouch [Emperor Robes] (Code Geass) : ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #19853
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Oh man, hotel room woes. I'm right there.

I did all of the scoping for Katsucon months ago-- like in October. Priced out rooms at four or five different places, looked into transport, calculated discounts, did budget plans for the rooms depending on how many people we have with us, but alas, no room.

My friend was supposed to get us a room months ago, and I'm still waiting. I continually pester her about it too, that I'm even getting annoyed with myself about it. I don't turn 18 until after Katsu, so I can't put the room in my name, but on my birthday I will be grabbing out Otakon hotel room so we don't have this problem again.

SIGH.
If I had more than one spot open in my room, I'd offer you a space in mine for you and your friend.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #19854
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Thanks, Tigress. I appreciate the thought. <3

The real issue, though, is that I did the planning for a group of 10+ people--thus, multiple rooms, for multiple nights. Since she hasn't booked it yet, I can't solidify anything else (like carpool times and who is taking what cosplay stuff/filming equipment down when), and it's making me want to pull my hair out.

Even worse, she'll be out of the country until the end of this week. Despite my constant pestering-- to the point where even I was getting annoyed with myself-- still no results. Going to have to wait until next weekend at least. *headdesk*

At least this con is only ~1 hr drive from home, though. While I'd really rather not have to leave earlier in the day and go back and forth (especially in DC traffic), I know I should still be able to swing going to con even if this does work out.

I just wish this was easier.
  • Blanche (Pokemon GO): 0% (Planning) MAGfest 2017
  • Lelouch [Emperor Robes] (Code Geass) : ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #19855
xIkuna

Ugh. Speaking of hotel issues, my friends and I wanted to get one fora local con(so we could change in and out of our cloths and what not), so we had my friends parents book the room and then a few weeks before the convention, she told us she wouldn't be able to stay in the hotel no matter what. And I'm pretty sure it was like that since the beginning. But her parents never said anything. So. That was irritating. At least when she turns 18 we'll be able to travel to a bigger con~

Cosplays:
Ino Yamanaka- Naruto Stage Play Live
Numa- Star Wars Rebels
Rachel Amber- Life is Strange

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #19856
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Paints not matching fabrics...

I'm working on Super Sailor Moon and have been trying to match the paint for the skirt to a fabric or the fabric of the collar to the skirt for ages... I might end up just doing a different version...
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #19857
MotherSilver

ASBFFF#i*1 CURVES. And no I don't mean my body I'm losing weight, I mean curves in general :/ I have to make a head piece and I have no idea how to start because I was horrible at math and can't figure out the curve on it. I'm seriously thinking about just sketching one out and hoping for the best...
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #19858
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Turning tubes of fabric right side out. I have to make straps for Pascal along with parts for other cosplays and the tubes are so thin that it hurts my fingers so much. >_< I've gotten to the point that I'm bribing my eight year old sister to do it for me since she has smaller fingers.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #19859
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Yaya han makes money off cosplay... does she make you sick? PikminLink... Alodia...Parle Productions... they all do it... maybe they don't all make huge profits but they do. Do they make you sick?

So what? So what if some girls dress skimpy and make a few bucks off it? Is it hurting you? Is it damaging your psyche? You do realize they have people in Japan who are probably payed more who do this as an actual career, IN COSPLAY so maybe you should take your slut shaming ways, and leave if you don't like that people are defending "sluts who are ruining your cosplay"
Well said, and I couldn't agree more. I have to admit, I used to have the mentality that skimpy cosplay/posing half-naked = slut.... blegh. @_@ Thankfully, reading things that people say on this site has actually helped me to become much more open minded, and has given me a new perspective on many things. In the end, certain degrees of nudity still bother me, but that's when I just choose not to look at it. XD If they're doing it because they want to, then why should I care? It doesn't affect me or my cosplaying in the end, and it's to my knowledge that they aren't breaking any laws. XD Granted, I'm still entitled to have an opinion on certain things, but that's all it is-- an opinion.

Anywho, my current cosplay pet peeve is my weight fluctuating to the point where one year all my costumes fit perfectly, and a few months later they're all too tight, then the next year they're all a bit loose, and now they're just way too tight. It's irritating. x_x Last year I lost 50 pounds over the course of a few months, and this year I've gained 70 pounds doing nothing different. Now some of my older cosplays don't fit again. ;A;

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #19860
Yet Another
Forever Sleepy

Sleeves and a total lack of money. I have the super basic idea for Link's tunic, but decided to stick him on the back burner until I get a job so I can pay for all of that fabric and lacing. And my god, sleeves are a total pain.

Skyrim Casual: 30 % Done!
Kaylee Frye (Firefly): 40% Done!
Jem Carstairs, Oswin Oswald, Magnus Bane, Pikachu, Trainer White: Done!
Yet Another is offline   Reply With Quote