Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 4.64 average.
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #19846
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica
 
Hime no Toki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,719
Having to make my own patterns for garments that are so bizarre that no commercial pattern even comes close.
__________________


2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!


http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #19847
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels
 
Tigress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
Well, perhaps her pet peeve is people in the cosplay world with your mentality? One thing to realize about this thread is that people debate and discuss pet peeves here all the time. That's just the way it is. On this thread there pretty much is no "I'll say what I want to say and no one can say anything back" For example, if I say that my pet peeve is cosplayers who don't wear wigs, then people have the right to respond with things like: "Maybe they can't afford a wig" "Maybe their wig got lost in the mail" etc etc. Just the way things go.
Couldn't say it better myself. This is part of the larger "real geek" debate that's been raging on social media lately and it really bugs me that this is a thing now. Male geeks have been crying for years over how they can't find a girlfriend that likes the things they do. But now that there's been an influx of girls in the geek world, they're suddenly attacking them for not being "real" geeks?!

And it's especially irritating when these same people start calling a lady posing in her Batman panties a "slut" and "attention whore". But if she were wearing "normal" panties, they would reach for the lotion.

Quote:
And using and abusing? How so? Because they want to look sexy? For one thing it isn't as if there aren't magazines such as Megami and Nyantype that feature our favorite anime girls in sexy ways. Lingerie pics, bunny girl pics, swimsuit pics, naked apron pics, body ribbon pics.. the list goes on. Even innocent and conservative characters can have official art where they're shown in a provocative manner.
And I have the doujinshi to prove it. I have more Hellsing hentai featuring Integra than is probably healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime no Toki View Post
Having to make my own patterns for garments that are so bizarre that no commercial pattern even comes close.
But... but... that's part of the fun!

Here's my latest one:

Being the only person that apparently has the ability to drive. Almost every time I announce that I'm driving to a con, I have at least five people asking to ride with me because 1) I now have a hybrid; 2) I take good care of my car; and 3) I'm insane enough to do all the driving because I won't let anyone else touch Fujiko. Then they argue with me that I should TOTALLY let them ride with me and they really aren't bringing that much (just three suitcases). And my telling them that my trunk is tiny and I can only take about 3 people in my car, including myself, falls on deaf ears.

Then when I suggest we all chip in to rent a van so that we have room for everybody and their luggage, they suddenly don't wanna. It's not like I don't want to drive everybody. I just don't want to overload my brand new car.
__________________
Kat's Play

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #19848
OtakuQueen
AppleJack
 
OtakuQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 80
My only pet peeve is when cosplayers use like party city wigs xD Like, the wig is a main component of how your character is going to be recognized. If you have a good cosplay then a crappy wig, it makes the entire cosplay terrible. I also dislike the race issue with cosplay, it should be a fun hobby not some "grand master cosplay competition"
__________________
Still looking for a cosplay group in Jacksonvile florida, for specifics message me ^^
Have you added yourself to the Cosplayers Map yet? Its a great way to find fellow cosplayers in your area! http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=294279

You Laugh At Me Because Im Different, I Laugh At You Becauseyoure all the same

Tumblr>----- nightingalecosplay.tumblr.com
Faythjohnson.tumblr.com
OtakuQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #19849
Shana05
The Nation of Love
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,663
People taking too long to give you an answer about rooming with you. I know, sometimes you need to check on things but it shouldn't take over a week to hear back from you. Especially when the con is so close. I don't like sending messages asking for a final answer because they tend to come off as rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
Well, perhaps her pet peeve is people in the cosplay world with your mentality? One thing to realize about this thread is that people debate and discuss pet peeves here all the time. That's just the way it is. On this thread there pretty much is no "I'll say what I want to say and no one can say anything back" For example, if I say that my pet peeve is cosplayers who don't wear wigs, then people have the right to respond with things like: "Maybe they can't afford a wig" "Maybe their wig got lost in the mail" etc etc. Just the way things go.

Also, no one here is saying that you aren't entitled to your opinion, because you are. We're just also allowed to debate and counter it.
^THIS. I enjoyed the entire post but I've recently been very annoyed by people with this mentality so I'm focusing on that part. Seriously, if you post something online, there's a chance people are going to respond to it. If you don't want people to respond to what you write, start a personal journal. Don't throw a hissy fit because someone disagreed with you especially if it was done civilly like Tigress did here. It just makes you look like a child.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)

Last edited by Shana05 : 12-27-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #19850
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels
 
Tigress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
People taking too long to give you an answer about rooming with you. I know, sometimes you need to check on things but it shouldn't take over a week to hear back from you. Especially when the con is so close. I don't like sending messages asking for a final answer because they tend to come off as rude.
What I usually do for roommates is check in with them once a month and then again two weeks before the con. I also have it noted in my roommate guidelines that flaking out on me less than two weeks before go-time means PERMANENT blacklisting. Which means you never get to room with me again. Not even pretty please with sugar on top. *

It's a little harsh, but since enacting that rule, I've noticed a sharp drop in last minute drop-outs. And I've now developed a small core of friends who I know are going to be reliable.

______________________________

*Exceptions are made if you pay for your roomshare anyway or you find someone to fill your spot. And I'll always understand if you can't come because of a sudden emergency like a death in the family, catching pneumonia or your transmission suddenly failing. Just let me know as soon as you realize you can't go.
__________________
Kat's Play

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #19851
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meownyan View Post
I love you!
Sense in a world like this!


@Tigress cause the site is not letting me quote two in one -

Ummmmm.... I think this thread asks what MY pet peeve is. Not if you approve of it.

MAYBE if someone stepped up and said "Put some clothes on for crying out loud, you don't have to do that for people to like you." it wouldn't be such a proliferated plague.

But just straight up using and abusing the word cosplay for money makes me sick.
Yaya han makes money off cosplay... does she make you sick? PikminLink... Alodia...Parle Productions... they all do it... maybe they don't all make huge profits but they do. Do they make you sick?

So what? So what if some girls dress skimpy and make a few bucks off it? Is it hurting you? Is it damaging your psyche? You do realize they have people in Japan who are probably payed more who do this as an actual career, IN COSPLAY so maybe you should take your slut shaming ways, and leave if you don't like that people are defending "sluts who are ruining your cosplay"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #19852
touchmon
Make All The Things!
 
touchmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,730
The magical stains that always seem to appear on white cosplays....

My Morgiana cosplay has been sitting in my closet for the past couple of months. I take it out and there's a random black speck on it that won't come off and I have no idea where it came from. >_<
__________________
Working on...
|Zangoose Gijinka(Pokemon)|Leira(OC)|Anna(Coronation Dress, Frozen)|Fem. Waver(Fate/Zero)|

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #19853
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak
 
chibierwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 619
Pieces of clothing that would be perfect except that the have a logo on it that would be impossible to remove!
__________________
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #19854
Shana05
The Nation of Love
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
What I usually do for roommates is check in with them once a month and then again two weeks before the con. I also have it noted in my roommate guidelines that flaking out on me less than two weeks before go-time means PERMANENT blacklisting. Which means you never get to room with me again. Not even pretty please with sugar on top. *

It's a little harsh, but since enacting that rule, I've noticed a sharp drop in last minute drop-outs. And I've now developed a small core of friends who I know are going to be reliable.

______________________________

*Exceptions are made if you pay for your roomshare anyway or you find someone to fill your spot. And I'll always understand if you can't come because of a sudden emergency like a death in the family, catching pneumonia or your transmission suddenly failing. Just let me know as soon as you realize you can't go.
The problem is that all the people I know are reliable are not really yaoi fans so they chose not to attend Ahn!Con as it's yaoi themed.

One of my roommates agreed to still pay her share but now she is paying for a full half as no one else is willing to room with me. I've had over 6 people drop out on me for this one con, not to mention I was insulted when I made posts searching for people. It made me so upset I considered actually not going and selling my registration to someone. I guess I'm still going but I'm still very upset. I'm unwilling to accept anyone's offers at this point because I've come to expect them to flake.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #19855
Evig Vinter
It Started Off So Well...
 
Evig Vinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
My cosplay pet peeve today is cosplay partners who don't really cosplay very much. I've had a lot of those, and it appears as if that means I'm in the market for a new one...

And just so you guys know, a lot of the Cosplay Deviants are actually very nice people. I've met some of them at conventions, and their cosplays look great in person.
__________________
2013 Conventions:
SacAnime Winter*, AOD**, Fanime

2013 Cosplays:
Unknown at this point

* Dependent upon whether I'm feeling better, or if I'm back in the ER again.
** Dependent upon interests, time, and money
Evig Vinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #19856
touchmon
Make All The Things!
 
touchmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,730
Lack of reference images strikes again. >_<

I'm looking at Makoto's dress from the Eden music video(Idolm@ster Shiny Festa) and the black dress only appears in...two quick scenes that don't give me what the front looks like. >_< Might just go with Takane since I know what hers looks like.
__________________
Working on...
|Zangoose Gijinka(Pokemon)|Leira(OC)|Anna(Coronation Dress, Frozen)|Fem. Waver(Fate/Zero)|

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #19857
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self
 
Eau de Decus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meownyan View Post
MAYBE if someone stepped up and said "Put some clothes on for crying out loud, you don't have to do that for people to like you." it wouldn't be such a proliferated plague.

But just straight up using and abusing the word cosplay for money makes me sick.
This line of thinking is probably my [pet peeve]. I don't care for it either, but put down the torch and pitchfork already.

They are adults. It's not illegal. Does it make your moral compass point south? Then stop looking or bringing it up and move on. Holy simplicity Batman...
__________________
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #19858
Freak-a-deak
Registered User
 
Freak-a-deak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 267
My current pet peeve is when costume color combinations look horrible in real life. I'm almost done with my Iori Minase (Smoky Thrill) costume from The Idolm@ster and, let me tell you, the color combination is hideous in reality. Burgundy, purple, and blue/green don't go well together outside of anime/video games.
Freak-a-deak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #19859
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels
 
Tigress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
The problem is that all the people I know are reliable are not really yaoi fans so they chose not to attend Ahn!Con as it's yaoi themed.

One of my roommates agreed to still pay her share but now she is paying for a full half as no one else is willing to room with me. I've had over 6 people drop out on me for this one con, not to mention I was insulted when I made posts searching for people. It made me so upset I considered actually not going and selling my registration to someone. I guess I'm still going but I'm still very upset. I'm unwilling to accept anyone's offers at this point because I've come to expect them to flake.
I've been there. It's an absolute chore to recruit people for my room at Nekocon. It's a bad time of the year for most people and I absolutely refuse to room with people I don't know unless one of my current roommates can vouch for them. I have two people that always room with me (and they chip in for gas since I'll make a side trip to pick them up), but it's still a stretch.

Maybe just eat the higher cost this year and spend the con making super best friends to room with next year?
__________________
Kat's Play

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #19860
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON
 
StarsCASSiOPEiA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,813
Oh man, hotel room woes. I'm right there.

I did all of the scoping for Katsucon months ago-- like in October. Priced out rooms at four or five different places, looked into transport, calculated discounts, did budget plans for the rooms depending on how many people we have with us, but alas, no room.

My friend was supposed to get us a room months ago, and I'm still waiting. I continually pester her about it too, that I'm even getting annoyed with myself about it. I don't turn 18 until after Katsu, so I can't put the room in my name, but on my birthday I will be grabbing out Otakon hotel room so we don't have this problem again.

SIGH.
__________________
Upcoming Cosplays
  • Rose Lalonde "Glow" Tier (Homestuck): 95% (Detailing) Otakon 2014
  • Fancy Mewtwo Gijinka (Cowslip Gijinka): 3% (Planning) Otakon 2014
  • Secret Cosplay (???): 1% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) MAGfest 2015

DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Viveeh
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.