Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 326 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #19921
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

When nostalgia calls and is yelling at you to cosplay from it. Plus a new series I adore is doing the same thing. And I already have a planned list. Oh the humanity!

That and finishing cosplay. I'm almost almost almost done with about four of them, and with them done my cosplay list would be freed up and I could add more. (But like seriously, I need to make the poison bottles and need a vest for Cain, a tie for Gumi, make an under part for Shigure, and finish the cloak and sword for Syaoran.)
AAAHHH
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #19922
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

Sudden out-of-the-blue waves of cosplay insecurity.

I'm sitting on my bed, watching Trinity Blood and working on my cosplay of Isaak Von Kampfer: a character I've been dying to cosplay since I first saw him. Suddenly, Isaak does something in the anime and I'm hit with this wave of "why am I still sewing this goddamn bias tape? There's no way I'm going to actually be able to do Isaak justice and it's all just gonna suck and everyone at the convention is going to be secretly thinking I'm the worst Isaak ever and they'll probably be right because I'll just look awful. Isaak is a tall, suave and beautiful man and I'm a short pimply teenage girl with lifted shoes and a hyperactivity problem, so what made me think I could cosplay him in the first place? There's absolutely no way I can do him justice and I'll just look dumb trying."

And now the coat I've put so much effort into all day is making me sad to look at. I still want to cosplay Isaak but now I feel that I'll just look horrible in doing so, and I don't know how to make these cosplay self-hate feelings go away
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #19923
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post

I'm sitting on my bed, watching Trinity Blood and working on my cosplay of Isaak Von Kampfer: a character I've been dying to cosplay since I first saw him. Suddenly, Isaak does something in the anime and I'm hit with this wave of "why am I still sewing this goddamn bias tape? There's no way I'm going to actually be able to do Isaak justice and it's all just gonna suck and everyone at the convention is going to be secretly thinking I'm the worst Isaak ever and they'll probably be right because I'll just look awful. Isaak is a tall, suave and beautiful man and I'm a short pimply teenage girl with lifted shoes and a hyperactivity problem, so what made me think I could cosplay him in the first place? There's absolutely no way I can do him justice and I'll just look dumb trying."

And now the coat I've put so much effort into all day is making me sad to look at. I still want to cosplay Isaak but now I feel that I'll just look horrible in doing so, and I don't know how to make these cosplay self-hate feelings go away
Yeah i understand that feeling so much. I really hate when i start to do comparisons and point out minor things about myself. i've been feeling this way about The princess of the Crystal, It takes sometime for the wave to pass and then i feel confident in doing it again. I just always try and remember no matter what people are going to think what they want, while others are going to be super happy in seeing who you cosplay. It can get depressing, but just know i can't wait to see your Isaak happen!!! What i also do from time to time is sit myself in front of the mirror with my wig or outfit and do various poses and self encouraging talks to break my own iceXD

On another note! Lacking reference pictures or when you do find some you only see the top or small images of cosplayers who cosplayed said character. I've yet to try working on Jibril, but i love to gather all the reference pictures i can before hand so i can have things figured out. Yet for her i find 2-3 same dresses in a different color. If it keeps up i might just settle for her one outfit i do know.

~Working On/Non Con Currently~
Clawdeen Wolf Ver.Unannounced (Monster High)~20%
Scheherazade Al-Rahman Ver.Cheongsam (Trinity Blood)~0%

~Youmacon 2014 Lineup~
Misuzu Kamio (Air) ~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)~80%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #19924
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:

I get this all the time. >_< Especially when I've been working on a cosplay for a long time and put so much work on it. I tend to second guess myself...and triple guess.... Honestly, I think my poor friends get tired of telling me it looks like while I'm sitting there saying and thinking it looks horrible. The feeling does pass after a while but I don't think it ever truly goes away until after wearing it the con.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #19925
emmisu
King of Toast

When you can't decide which shade of pink will flatter your skin tone
Applies to all wig colors, actually lol

Also when you look at a pattern for sewing and become too terrified to even try starting it.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #19926
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
People who don't respect others taking pictures. -_-

I mean, I understand if you just walk into a picture without knowing that a picture is being taken that it isn't your fault but when it is obvious that someone is having a photoshoot do you really have to walk into the shot to get where you are going?
Sadly, I've had to pull my dad several times out of the middle of photoshoots. He isn't really good with the con atmosphere and I feel bad for having to apologize profusely for him as I explain to him what's wrong. Yet when I'm in photoshoots he's always conscious of it. C'mon dad. -~-;

Quote:
Currently, my height. I'm too short to accurately cosplay characters like Isaak from Trinity Blood (so I have to wear lifted shoes or my friend cosplaying Dietrich looks down at me XP) But I'm too tall to accurately cosplay characters like Zoisite from Sailor Moon (He's about my height but that's in high heeled boots, and if I wore my heeled boots I'd be the same height as my friend doing Kunzite, which would look weird.)
This, all the time. Especially when I want to cosplay tiny AND really tall characters. I guess it's better to be short though, since I'll always have heels. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibierwin View Post
When nostalgia calls and is yelling at you to cosplay from it. Plus a new series I adore is doing the same thing. And I already have a planned list. Oh the humanity!

That and finishing cosplay. I'm almost almost almost done with about four of them, and with them done my cosplay list would be freed up and I could add more. (But like seriously, I need to make the poison bottles and need a vest for Cain, a tie for Gumi, make an under part for Shigure, and finish the cloak and sword for Syaoran.)
AAAHHH
Both of these. Cardcaptor Sakura (one of the first things I had tried to plan out and cosplay that never happened) has been calling me recently, but deargod I have too much on my planned list.

YESSS. I still have a lot of accessories I need to get for Ririchiyo and Ciel, but once I get them I can see what else I can do this year. BUT I'm not going to have the money to finish them up until next month, and then I'm sure I'll have to still get stuff the next month; I won't be free until after Momocon, then I've gotta get everything together for AAD and by then I'll have to start working on Silica. Sigh..allowance has a big flaw when you only get it monthly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashe2kawaii View Post
On another note! Lacking reference pictures or when you do find some you only see the top or small images of cosplayers who cosplayed said character. I've yet to try working on Jibril, but i love to gather all the reference pictures i can before hand so i can have things figured out. Yet for her i find 2-3 same dresses in a different color. If it keeps up i might just settle for her one outfit i do know.
Ugh reference pictures. There's a version of Ririchiyo I'm interested in that only shows up for a few seconds in one of the endings...and then the one Ciel version I am dying to do, is the ONE version Yana never drew or nobody ever scanned the full-body references on. There aren't any decent screenshots of it, either. Why....whyyyy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
I get this all the time. >_< Especially when I've been working on a cosplay for a long time and put so much work on it. I tend to second guess myself...and triple guess.... Honestly, I think my poor friends get tired of telling me it looks like while I'm sitting there saying and thinking it looks horrible. The feeling does pass after a while but I don't think it ever truly goes away until after wearing it the con.
The bad thing about me is I don't get anxiety (I guess you could call it that) until the night before the con. Then I start worrying and thinking about all that could go wrong and end up not sleeping well. This usually carries on to the ride to the con and ends up making me car-sick too; thankfully I'm used to it, so I just deal with it, let myself calm down, and then enjoy the con.
Although that rut everyone gets of "Why am I even doing this?" or "What if it's horrible?" sucks really hard. I haven't gotten it in a while, though, thankfully.

My current pet peeve..my fear of commissioning through the CosCom marketplace. I know when it comes time to work on Silica I'll probably have to turn to someone here to make a Pina plushie for me, but the amount of horror stories and all (and lack of reviews on plushie commissioners) really really scares me. Also that it costs ridiculous amounts, but that's arguable.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #19927
Tigersoul

Quote:
This. But I follow a motto adapted from one of my favorite characters "Just close your eyes and run forward"

Also another one of mine:
Incredibly intricate props or costumes that will take a LOT of work and the details are so perfect that any mistake will stick out like a sore thumb (and double for certain weapons that you can actually buy live reproductions for cheep (but cant be taken to cons because they ARE live, like swords))

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #19928
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

my big peeve is that if you like a certain series your deemed a weeaboo, for fucks sake i don't think im Japanese at all >.>
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #19929
Ilafatyu
That guy

Being all prepped to work on something, then discover that there's a small crowd in The Cave playing Super Smash Brothers. One cannot work in such an environment. One always finds oneself being drawn into the brawl.
...Hah, pun.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #19930
Tigersoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
my big peeve is that if you like a certain series your deemed a weeaboo, for fucks sake i don't think im Japanese at all >.>
At least your not an "Immature F**ot" like a lot of us who like MLP:FiM are called... though this is at least reduced (though sadly not eliminated) at cons...

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #19931
Ellisari

Cutting fabric.

I'm not kidding. I start hyperventilating every time I gotta cut fabric because if I mess up it's a costly mistake.
Ellisari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #19932
Faythx
Realistic Dreamer

When a particular ribbon you're using for trim on something runs out and you go to get more only to fond out it has been DISCONTINUED. *ALL THE TABLE FLIPS* I though 3 spools would have been more than enough, but nooooooo. Ugh...

Cosplays:
EVA, MGS3 (wtf am I doing? ;<)
FF9 Tonberry (Revamping Majorly. 80% complete.)
Princess Cadance (100%. Debuts at MTAC13)
Faythx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #19933
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellisari View Post
Cutting fabric.

I'm not kidding. I start hyperventilating every time I gotta cut fabric because if I mess up it's a costly mistake.
Get into zen mode, mate. You are the fabric. You are the scissors.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #19934
Veriun

When patterns take ages to arrive, and I've got the fabric and everything all ready to go, and my fingers are itching. And the tracking number's not been updated for two weeks, so for all I know it'll take another two ages to get here.
Veriun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #19935
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I don't like ranting but I'm going to, if my client sees this I apologize in advance.
I hate when people contact me about commissions. Agree on a price. Send me the money and then a few days later (after I've either spent the money or transferred it to my bank account
) they ask for a refund.
I have 3 major costumes I'm working on right now and I just spend all of my savings on college. So all my commissions money goes twords my costumes. Now, after this refund, my bank account is going to be in the red...