Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #19936
Padmik
mikky
 
Padmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 670
Current pet peeve, or maybe I'm just noticing it now, but people telling me to cosplay a character from a series I don't know or like just so they can see me where that costume. And most of the time the character wears an outfit that make me feel uncomfortable. But that doesn't seem to mean much to them. It wouldn't be annoying if it wasn't a constant "complaint."
__________________

[Tumblr] [Instagram] [Wordpress]

2017 Conventions
Wondercon, SWCO, Megacon, DragonCon

WIP Cosplays
Belle (town dress) - BatB 60% | Elizabeth - Bioshock Infinite 15% | Ana Amari (captain) - Overwatch 15% | Padme Amidala (lake dress) - Star Wars 0% | Padme Amidala (Naboo Pilot) - Star Wars 0%

Last edited by Padmik : 01-25-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #19937
Quinn the Shiki
I'm in Raffaenzo Hell
 
Quinn the Shiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,912
Usually supportive parents suddenly objecting.

I got to do a Photoshoot as Gin from Detective Conan and got ten really great pictures (they're in my gallery) Only 3 of them ended up on Facebook though, because when I posted them, my dad came in immediately objecting to the fake cigarette in my mouth. I understand it was fairly realistic looking, but from certain angles you could see that it was open at the end and I'd even put in all the photo captions "the cigarette is fake, made out of construction paper. If you look carefully you can see the open end." My dad said that wasn't good enough and that he didnt understand why I'd want to emulate something so vulgar, even for a character. He even went so far as the start commenting on the pictures that the thing was disgusting. I ended up just deleting all the photos where you could see the cigarette, most of
which were my favorite shots. The next morning, my mom said she was uncomfortable with my fake gun and asked me to take down any pictures where I had it. That I could understand, it was my friend's toy guy that she'd spray painted to look more real and wasnt the bright orange and obviously fake gun I'd used for my Kohaku cosplay, plus it was only in two pictures so I didn't mind taking them down, but after my dad had indirectly forced me to remove the others, I only had three up, one of which was a derp shot of my friend an I acting like penguins in the snow. And I just know that my dad only got to the second picture-the one where you can see the orange on the fake cigarette-and freaked out because his iPad didn't show the caption, and if he'd gone through the rest of the pictures he'd have seen the open end.

I had so much fun at the photoshoot and Now I'm having trouble looking at the pictures without getting upset. I know my dad doesn't want me to get in any kind of trouble, but ugh. I left them up here because I know here people will see it as a costume and not something that family members and none-anime friends are going to see in passing jump to conclusions.
__________________
Working on:
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) Jessica Jones-Netflix's Defenders (revamp,) Keith-Macross Delta, Diana Cavendish-Little Witch Academia, Shinjuro Kurama-Kamisama Kiss (Revamp,) Liv Moore-iZombie, Newt Scamander-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Licht von Granzreich-The Royal Tutor, Leo Baskerville-Pandora Hearts, Maki Nishikino-Love Live (Christmas outfit)

Last edited by Quinn the Shiki : 01-26-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #19938
MaryWesker
MissMaryWesker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 404
Quinn, my mom had a similar reaction to my airsoft guns for all my RE cosplays; but she got more comfortable with them the longer I had them. And she eventually realized I'm responsible with my props and I'm an adult and act like one even in cosplay. Your parents might just need some time to get used to it and maybe they'll chill out? If not you can always remind them that its not you its for a costume and you're responsible and not going to cause any trouble with the props.

As for a pet peeve, WIGS. I never like wearing wigs (afraid they'll slide off as they have in the past, or that they'll make me look funny) but now I kinda have to (I'm doing 4 different characters and I need a wig for two of them as my hair is longer and a different color) I'm really particular and can't find exactly what I'm looking for and I don't wanna compromise. I might end up cutting my hair and dropping one of the outfits if I can't find something I like. >.<
__________________
Cosplayer-Amateur Photographer-Gamer-General Nerd
Cosplays/Planned Cosplays
Waylon Park - Outlast: Whistleblower
Richard Trager - Outlast
Bishop - Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Juli Kidman - The Evil Within
Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - Silent Hill 2
Alice Abernathy - Resident Evil The Final Chapter
DeviantArt
Tumblr
MaryWesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #19939
Shana05
Survivor
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,633
Ugh, I can't find individual yellow sharpies that aren't highlighters. OfficeMax had individuals of every color but yellow. I'm only seeing it in packs with a bunch of other colors. There's an art supply store near my college so I'll check there after class.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop

Anime Cental: SplashFree!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #19940
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,200
People trying to tell me I'm too short to cosplay something cuz they're too short to cosplay it.... screw you I do what I want.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #19941
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...
 
Tangledinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
People trying to tell me I'm too short to cosplay something cuz they're too short to cosplay it.... screw you I do what I want.
Hate that too. If height was such a big deal, then I would be too short to cosplay half of the characters I cosplay.
__________________
Next Convention:
Otakon

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)


-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #19942
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
Hate that too. If height was such a big deal, then I would be too short to cosplay half of the characters I cosplay.
I've been cosplaying Demyx for a while now, he's a tall character and my friend cosplays Zexion who is almost the shortest Organization character (roxas being shorter) we're roughly the same height (her a little taller) and we don't care. We love the characters and we characterize them well. If I want to be the Eleventh doctor then I will.... My friend was worried about cosplaying Pitch Black because "she was too short" I was like "Dude, he's 7 feet tall.... realistically no one can cosplay him to height... Bunny is 6'1, Sandman is 3 feet... heights aren't always plausible or possible.... get over it and cosplay a character you love"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #19943
xIkuna
Registered User
 
xIkuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,544
Ugh, I wish Arda had more height variation. Their wigs either go just past the shoulders or just past the butt, but I need one to go to the middle of the back! Sigh.
__________________
Upcoming Conventions: Katsucon, Anime Detour, Wizard World Minneapolis, C2E2

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)


xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #19944
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
Ugh, I wish Arda had more height variation. Their wigs either go just past the shoulders or just past the butt, but I need one to go to the middle of the back! Sigh.
You could cut a longer one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #19945
Zerowon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
My pet peeve? Eurokangas (Finnish fabric store) and their stupid fabric options. I need to travel all way to Estonia (by a ship) to get cheaper and nicer fabrics for my costumes.
Zerowon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #19946
Shana05
Survivor
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,633
I've come to the conclusion that in my local cosplay community, you're not allowed to have boundaries on who you are comfortable rooming with. I can never make a seeking roommates post without someone attacking me for my no-boys policy. I also get guys making creepy "jokes" about it and sometimes guys who really try to get me to make an exception for them. I said "girls-only" and I mean it. It's gotten to the point that I think I should just pay the extra money and room by myself. I'm just so sick of this shit.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop

Anime Cental: SplashFree!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #19947
Sui Kune
I've got a can opener!
 
Sui Kune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 134
Joann discontinuing their purple solid sateen fabric. x_x I think I still might have enough for what I need for Super Saturn (new collar, new choker, and new glove bands), but if I don't, I'm really pissed. I really don't want to scour the internet for sateen to color-match, and if disaster happened and I needed to remake any parts (especially the skirt), I'd be completely hosed.

Hilariously all the reviews for their solid sateen fabric are now complaining about the lack of color options (red, black, and beige I believe). Amen, reviewers, just one year ago they had an amazing selection.
__________________
Sakuracon 2016
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Manga Artbook V New Year's Furisode]
☆ Messiah of Silence [Sailormoon S]
☆ Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon S]
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Uniform]

沈黙のセーラー戦士、セーラーサターン!
Sui Kune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #19948
TMLiza
Make All The Things!
 
TMLiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that in my local cosplay community, you're not allowed to have boundaries on who you are comfortable rooming with. I can never make a seeking roommates post without someone attacking me for my no-boys policy. I also get guys making creepy "jokes" about it and sometimes guys who really try to get me to make an exception for them. I said "girls-only" and I mean it. It's gotten to the point that I think I should just pay the extra money and room by myself. I'm just so sick of this shit.
I really don't understand what is wrong with a no-boys policy at all. :/ Like why are the people in your cosplay community making such a big deal about it. Heck, ,whenever I room for cons, I ALWAYS have a girls-only room no matter what. I don't care if we've been friends forever I am not rooming with a guy because I am personally not comfortable with it. Heck, I was uncomfortable having guys in my dorm room until recently and even then it is only two guys I've known for a while now. If I was in your situation, I would pay the extra money to get my own room. Honestly, those people are just...ugh.
__________________
Working on...
|Wukong Gudako(Fate/Grand Order)|Ibaraki(Fate/Grand Order)|Fem Percy(Critical Role| Elegant Mad Queen Ryan(Achievement Hunter)|Shura(Vol 17 cover, Ao no Exorcist)

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #19949
Shana05
Survivor
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
I really don't understand what is wrong with a no-boys policy at all. :/ Like why are the people in your cosplay community making such a big deal about it. Heck, ,whenever I room for cons, I ALWAYS have a girls-only room no matter what. I don't care if we've been friends forever I am not rooming with a guy because I am personally not comfortable with it. Heck, I was uncomfortable having guys in my dorm room until recently and even then it is only two guys I've known for a while now. If I was in your situation, I would pay the extra money to get my own room. Honestly, those people are just...ugh.
Luckily for my next con in March, I have roommates. But with all the crap I've gone through with my last con where I didn't get any and to get the ones I have for the next one; I'm just so sick of it. It's like "People, if you aren't eligible/interested in rooming with me, don't reply to my post." I actually believe the drama these people cause scare others off because I have to call them out on it.

Apparently people's problem with my policy is that it's "wimpy and sexist." I say that they should just grow up and respect other people's boundaries.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop

Anime Cental: SplashFree!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #19950
Leslianna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Luckily for my next con in March, I have roommates. But with all the crap I've gone through with my last con where I didn't get any and to get the ones I have for the next one; I'm just so sick of it. It's like "People, if you aren't eligible/interested in rooming with me, don't reply to my post." I actually believe the drama these people cause scare others off because I have to call them out on it.

Apparently people's problem with my policy is that it's "wimpy and sexist." I say that they should just grow up and respect other people's boundaries.
That's pretty intense. It's your room...who cares what rules you have? If they don't like it, they don't have to room with you, or even look at your post. And "wimpy and sexist?" Honestly, the mix of males and females builds sexual tension and I will say, I've never been in a room where when both genders were in there, I wasn't locked out at least once due to "relations" going on. What if this was a religious decision or the like? Even if it's not, why would someone cause such a commotion? Just...so strange to me. I really don't understand their irrational attempt to "take a stand."
Leslianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Copyright 2002-2017 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.