Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 405 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #19936
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Party. store. wigs.

I showed my mom a really nice wig I want for my Luxray cosplay (it's $22), and she said that if she couldn't come up with the money for it (she doesn't get paid anytime between now and the 26th (when my con is)), that she's going to go to Party City, and buy me a wig from there.

I turned and said "HELL NO." Okay, I didn't say that, but I said, "NO, party store wigs are TERRIBLE quality, mother. I told you that." "But you'll only be wearing it this one time..." "But if I'm going to be wearing it this one time (well we'll see about that) then shouldn't I make sure it looks good?"

Party. store. wigs.

They're ugly. They're bright/shiny. They shed like monsters. They're cheep. They're overall not worth it. Many a times have I heard the very, very, few cosplayers at my school say, "I'm going to get a wig from Party City because others are too much money!"

NO.

If you can't get a GOOD wig, then honestly you're better off not using one at all. Or even better, just pay the extra ten goddamn bucks!

/end rant

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 30%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #19937
Tigersoul

Just to be fair, one november I actually saw a wig from PartyCity's most expensive line (normally like $50) marked down to almost nothing on clearance and decided to get it for trots and giggles. While it could obviously be better, it *was* _decent_ quality. With enough TLC it could have worked, but unfortunately the colors dont match any character I have an interest in doing... but quality was acceptable (not great just acceptable) though for the same price or less you can order a far higher-quality wig so *shrug*

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #19938
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

When people say they'er interested in something you're selling, and never get back to you.

I'm selling a few wigs, and a few people have expressed interest in buying them. I had one person ready to send me the money for it. Well when I went to contact the potential buyers to see if they were still interested, no one got back to me. Never got any payment or anything. I contacted them multiple numbers of times, asking if there was a problem with paypal, or were they waiting to get paid and nothing. Look if you aren't interested in the wig any more, tell me! Cause all you're doing is making me hold something that I could sell to someone who is actually interested in buying it! I'm not going to get offended if you don't want to buy it, just let me know.

Sorry rant.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #19939
SA2R
King of the Skies

^I agree~ and expanding on that~^
I can't stand it when someone asks me to put something I am selling on hold, and multiple people express interest in the item. Of course~ it being on hold~ I have to turn down the offers. And when the person I have it on hold for never gets back to me~ I get pretty angry!
I have had several people on this very site, ask for an on sale item to be put on hold, don't come back for weeks (one case months). Coming back only to ask for ANOTHER item to be put on hold. While saying nothing about the last item. I no longer allow holds without money down first hmmm ono

This counts right XD I have never had this problem with non-cosplayers.

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #19940
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersoul View Post
Just to be fair, one november I actually saw a wig from PartyCity's most expensive line (normally like $50) marked down to almost nothing on clearance and decided to get it for trots and giggles. While it could obviously be better, it *was* _decent_ quality. With enough TLC it could have worked, but unfortunately the colors dont match any character I have an interest in doing... but quality was acceptable (not great just acceptable) though for the same price or less you can order a far higher-quality wig so *shrug*
Hmmm.
I hear some people use party store wigs for cutting/styling practice and/or scrap wigs and I think that's okay, but I shudder everyime I see a photo of a cosplayer when one of those shiny monstrosities on their head. e_e

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 30%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #19941
NaughtsApproach

my pet peeve....people who do shoddy work on their cosplays and get praised for it (even commissioned) meanwhile i work freakin' hard to make my cosplays the best they can be without cutting corners, and i get nothing...

maybe i am blowing it out of proportion...but when i take the time to do things right and they hot glue their stuff together...and hot glue their commissioned work together...it makes me mad!

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3

OR My personal business page for any interest in Commissions
http://www.facebook.com/allisonsCustomCostumes
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #19942
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

So at my last convention, I saw a couple of things that peeved me off:

- A lack of proper hems. I know not everyone knows the details of sewing, but come on! Hems people! You just don't cut the fabric and that's your hem! Look at your pants, your shirts! Do you see nasty, fraying fabric there!? Selvage edges also do not count as a proper hem! Unless the outfit is supposed to have a raw edge look (which most of these I'm sure were not supposed to have that look) please go through the extra time to hem! If you can sew those pieces of fabric together, you can do a passable hem!

- Wigs! I saw people with quality wigs... And they didn't even lay down their real hair properly! There's a Riza Hawkeye there with an awesome wig, but it's sliding off her shoddily bunned hair! You don't have a wig cap? Alright, fine... but at least tighten your hair back and pin the wig down! And it's not like wig caps are that much, you can even make them from stockings! AUGH.
Kenshin 2.0 (Rurouni Kenshin) - 0%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #19943
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

Did I ever post in here before? Oh well, I'll post again.

In no particular order:

- Neon wigs. I want to kill myself everytime I see a person cosplaying say, Naruto or something, and they are wearing a neon yellow-greenish wig. Ugh.

- Sneakers. I do understand that getting the correct shoes for a cosplay can be expensive, and it can be difficult to customize shoes correctly, but come on, there's always alternatives. Unless a certain character calls for sneakers, it irks me to see sneakers on a cosplay.

- Snooty cosplayers. This is a latest pet peeve of mine. You know the ones. The ones that win an award or two and suddenly they're too good for anyone. Yeah, great, you got the most awesome cosplay and you're featured everywhere, but it doesn't win you a free pass to be an stuck up ass.

- ...I'm going to get flak for this one, but..... when I see a lack of anime cosplays at, well, anime conventions. -pointing out cosplayers at a con- "Homestuck, Homestuck, Homestuck, Homestuck, MLP, MLP, Mass Effect, Homestuck, Adventure Time, MLP, Homestuck, Halo, Disney, Mass Effect, Marvel, DC, Homestuck.... oh cool, Sailor Moon."

...So yeah. :P
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #19944
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyKun View Post
- ...I'm going to get flak for this one, but..... when I see a lack of anime cosplays at, well, anime conventions. -pointing out cosplayers at a con- "Homestuck, Homestuck, Homestuck, Homestuck, MLP, MLP, Mass Effect, Homestuck, Adventure Time, MLP, Homestuck, Halo, Disney, Mass Effect, Marvel, DC, Homestuck.... oh cool, Sailor Moon."
Not really flak, just an explanation: a LOT of non-anime fandoms end up coming to anime conventions for some reasons such as:
-They really like anime but didn't have an anime costume
-They don't want to see "booth babes" at every turn like a gaming convention.
-Anime conventions just really have a very good atmosphere; one of my favorite YouTubers described it as A fun getaway where most gaming and sci-fi conventions are like a big press conference or a gathering for specific types of people. With anime, you get a big variety.
Not to mention, -cosplay is most widely accepted at anime conventions.
There's also a lot of non-gaming cosplays at gaming conventions, and I've seen people cosplay (appropriately-themed characters, of course) to places like Ren Faires. I'm one of those that doesn't see the problem with variety at a convention. I mean, they're nerds just like us, and are just wearing something different. I'm not going to say "you're not in the right place, bud", because they're probably there to make friends too. No big deal to me what they look like or who they're cosplaying.

Hm..pet peeve of mine..would be annoying people trying to get me into their fandoms. I've been told at least twenty times by five people at my school to get my Homestuck cosplays done. Thing is, I'm not all that INTO Homestuck, and right now I have enough other costumes to do to completely ignore that I started them. >c<; Like..c'mon guys. I get you're into it and I'll learn enough to get along with you and get your jokes..but don't try to make me work on something I don't like that much right now just because you want cute/cool photos with the 'cosplay master' of the school O.x

Also...the fact that these five people idolize me way too much. I don't mean to sound like a snob but I don't want them looking up to me because I don't deserve it and really prefer to just be friends with them rather than a Wikipedia for costumes. I put nice stuff together but only because I have money; Not any real crafting or painting skill. Also because it makes them have expectations of me that are too high. I told them I was thinking about cosplaying Gamzee or Kanaya and they immediately just starting fawning over me. Now I'm nervous to even attempt because I know it'll probably end up being pretty bad. This is a weird situation x.x
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #19945
xIkuna

Quote:
Going off of what FuntomKitten said; comic convention are often over priced, not everyone can afford the 75+ tickets and the fact there aren't, honestly, many good ones! I only want to go to NYCC, Dragon Con, and Comicon. That's pretty much it for the big name comic/non anime conventions and none of them are anywhere near me- and it's the same for a lot of people. Also just because someone is cosplaying non-anime doesn't mean they don't like it.

Cosplays:
Laurel Lance (Black Canary)- Arrow
Maggie Greene- The Walking Dead
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #19946
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

Haha, I apologize, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I love seeing variety of cosplays at anime cons, I don't think it should be completely exclusive to anime. It just gets off when it's almost nothing BUT non-anime cosplays there. I guess that's why most anime cons are adding "and pop culture" to their names.

Again, sorry if I offended, just voicing my opinion.
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #19947
xIkuna

Quote:

I love seeing variety of cosplays at anime cons, I don't think it should be completely exclusive to anime. It just gets off when it's almost nothing BUT non-anime cosplays there. I guess that's why most anime cons are adding "and pop culture" to their names.

Don't apologize! I don't think you offended anyone! I totally get what you're saying! My friends get a little annoyed at the sorta lack of anime at conventions, too! I was just saying reasons why people may be dressed as non-anime as someone stuck in a state with really only a good anime convention.

Cosplays:
Laurel Lance (Black Canary)- Arrow
Maggie Greene- The Walking Dead
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #19948
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

Haha, I guess I'd rather not feel out of place cosplaying from an anime at an anime convention. XD

Irony is a cruel bitch, lol.
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #19949
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from too. I also like seeing variety at a con. At a small college con I went to, half of the people that were cosplaying, were cosplaying Homestuck. I know its really popular and all but geez. I don't mind there are are non-anime but still, variety is fun, especially since I love seeing the different cosplays at a con.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #19950
Baron Malleus

My irk. People that over reach their costuming capabilities. I know a guy that can make beautiful stuff, but his structural work is garbage. If you can't make your costume wearable long enough to make it down a hallway for a costume contest, then it isn't a costume. It's a statue that should be on a mannequin. I know I have over stretched myself before and I got irritated for the opposite reason. I knew mine was structurally sound, but it didn't look half as good as I wanted it to. Bottom line is find a balance.
Baron Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote