Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 586 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #19936
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyKun View Post
- ...I'm going to get flak for this one, but..... when I see a lack of anime cosplays at, well, anime conventions. -pointing out cosplayers at a con- "Homestuck, Homestuck, Homestuck, Homestuck, MLP, MLP, Mass Effect, Homestuck, Adventure Time, MLP, Homestuck, Halo, Disney, Mass Effect, Marvel, DC, Homestuck.... oh cool, Sailor Moon."
Not really flak, just an explanation: a LOT of non-anime fandoms end up coming to anime conventions for some reasons such as:
-They really like anime but didn't have an anime costume
-They don't want to see "booth babes" at every turn like a gaming convention.
-Anime conventions just really have a very good atmosphere; one of my favorite YouTubers described it as A fun getaway where most gaming and sci-fi conventions are like a big press conference or a gathering for specific types of people. With anime, you get a big variety.
Not to mention, -cosplay is most widely accepted at anime conventions.
There's also a lot of non-gaming cosplays at gaming conventions, and I've seen people cosplay (appropriately-themed characters, of course) to places like Ren Faires. I'm one of those that doesn't see the problem with variety at a convention. I mean, they're nerds just like us, and are just wearing something different. I'm not going to say "you're not in the right place, bud", because they're probably there to make friends too. No big deal to me what they look like or who they're cosplaying.

Hm..pet peeve of mine..would be annoying people trying to get me into their fandoms. I've been told at least twenty times by five people at my school to get my Homestuck cosplays done. Thing is, I'm not all that INTO Homestuck, and right now I have enough other costumes to do to completely ignore that I started them. >c<; Like..c'mon guys. I get you're into it and I'll learn enough to get along with you and get your jokes..but don't try to make me work on something I don't like that much right now just because you want cute/cool photos with the 'cosplay master' of the school O.x

Also...the fact that these five people idolize me way too much. I don't mean to sound like a snob but I don't want them looking up to me because I don't deserve it and really prefer to just be friends with them rather than a Wikipedia for costumes. I put nice stuff together but only because I have money; Not any real crafting or painting skill. Also because it makes them have expectations of me that are too high. I told them I was thinking about cosplaying Gamzee or Kanaya and they immediately just starting fawning over me. Now I'm nervous to even attempt because I know it'll probably end up being pretty bad. This is a weird situation x.x
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #19937
xIkuna

Quote:
- ...I'm going to get flak for this one, but..... when I see a lack of anime cosplays at, well, anime conventions. -pointing out cosplayers at a con- "Homestuck, Homestuck, Homestuck, Homestuck, MLP, MLP, Mass Effect, Homestuck, Adventure Time, MLP, Homestuck, Halo, Disney, Mass Effect, Marvel, DC, Homestuck.... oh cool, Sailor Moon."
Going off of what FuntomKitten said; comic convention are often over priced, not everyone can afford the 75+ tickets and the fact there aren't, honestly, many good ones! I only want to go to NYCC, Dragon Con, and Comicon. That's pretty much it for the big name comic/non anime conventions and none of them are anywhere near me- and it's the same for a lot of people. Also just because someone is cosplaying non-anime doesn't mean they don't like it.

Cosplays:
Ino Yamanaka- Naruto Stage Play Live
D.Va- Overwatch
Mistress 9- Sailor Moon

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #19938
RobbyKun

Haha, I apologize, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I love seeing variety of cosplays at anime cons, I don't think it should be completely exclusive to anime. It just gets off when it's almost nothing BUT non-anime cosplays there. I guess that's why most anime cons are adding "and pop culture" to their names.

Again, sorry if I offended, just voicing my opinion.
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #19939
xIkuna

Quote:

I love seeing variety of cosplays at anime cons, I don't think it should be completely exclusive to anime. It just gets off when it's almost nothing BUT non-anime cosplays there. I guess that's why most anime cons are adding "and pop culture" to their names.

Don't apologize! I don't think you offended anyone! I totally get what you're saying! My friends get a little annoyed at the sorta lack of anime at conventions, too! I was just saying reasons why people may be dressed as non-anime as someone stuck in a state with really only a good anime convention.

Cosplays:
Ino Yamanaka- Naruto Stage Play Live
D.Va- Overwatch
Mistress 9- Sailor Moon

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #19940
RobbyKun

Haha, I guess I'd rather not feel out of place cosplaying from an anime at an anime convention. XD

Irony is a cruel bitch, lol.
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #19941
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from too. I also like seeing variety at a con. At a small college con I went to, half of the people that were cosplaying, were cosplaying Homestuck. I know its really popular and all but geez. I don't mind there are are non-anime but still, variety is fun, especially since I love seeing the different cosplays at a con.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #19942
Baron Malleus

My irk. People that over reach their costuming capabilities. I know a guy that can make beautiful stuff, but his structural work is garbage. If you can't make your costume wearable long enough to make it down a hallway for a costume contest, then it isn't a costume. It's a statue that should be on a mannequin. I know I have over stretched myself before and I got irritated for the opposite reason. I knew mine was structurally sound, but it didn't look half as good as I wanted it to. Bottom line is find a balance.
Baron Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #19943
dj_rainbow_dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by !*Jessi-Chan*! View Post
i like this thread.

my pet peeve would have to be those people that view cosplay as nothing but a competition...
I have to agree with Jessi-Chan here

OR some personal pet peeves are guys who crossplay but dont shave, dude nopony wants to see your hairy legs in a skirt! >_<
dj_rainbow_dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #19944
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_rainbow_dash View Post
I have to agree with Jessi-Chan here

OR some personal pet peeves are guys who crossplay but dont shave, dude nopony wants to see your hairy legs in a skirt! >_<
Lmao if you're trying to look like a girl at least TRY xD
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #19945
kimmerwimmer
= ゜w゜=

I don't want to offend, but I am totally lost about the My Little Pony cosplays.
What is this craze? I have yet to see one that actually looks like a pony
I wouldn't consider it a pet peeve because I believe cosplaying is for fun and really, it is all in what the cosplayer, them self, interpret the character as.
kimmerwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #19946
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

That's why almost everyone makes their pony as a gijinka, aka a humanized version with some identifying marks like ears and tail. I've only seen a very few full ponysuits, for obvious reasons, and some add face paint, but I find it makes it look like a Halloween costume (aka, not good at all).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #19947
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmerwimmer View Post
I don't want to offend, but I am totally lost about the My Little Pony cosplays.
What is this craze? I have yet to see one that actually looks like a pony
I wouldn't consider it a pet peeve because I believe cosplaying is for fun and really, it is all in what the cosplayer, them self, interpret the character as.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
That's why almost everyone makes their pony as a gijinka, aka a humanized version with some identifying marks like ears and tail. I've only seen a very few full ponysuits, for obvious reasons, and some add face paint, but I find it makes it look like a Halloween costume (aka, not good at all).
As Shinobi hinted, only really dedicated folks would like to make whole fursuits for ponies. They're hot, expensive, and take a LOT of trial and error..so most people tend to do human versions of the ponies. It's just much easier to do, and you get some freedom in choosing what clothes to wear. (I've seen a LOT of variety with Rarity. All the way from a sleek businesswoman outfit to a full ballgown.)
I prefer when people at least try to add ears and a horn/wings if the character has them, but they're usually easy to recognize anyways. Usually.
As for why people are cosplaying from it..the ponies have cool hair, are over the top and cool, and, in my case, a lot of my friends like MLP as well and want to cosplay from it. Normal reasons why someone wants to cosplay something.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #19948
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

At the moment my pet peeve would have to be really unreliable cosplay partners. u_u

~ ♥ ~
| Facebook | Tumblr | WorldCosplay |
~ ♥ ~
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #19949
Padmik
mikky

Current pet peeve, or maybe I'm just noticing it now, but people telling me to cosplay a character from a series I don't know or like just so they can see me where that costume. And most of the time the character wears an outfit that make me feel uncomfortable. But that doesn't seem to mean much to them. It wouldn't be annoying if it wasn't a constant "complaint."

[Tumblr] [Instagram] [Wordpress]

2016 Conventions
MTAC, DragonCon, AWA, HVFF (?)

WIP Cosplays
Belle (town dress) - Disney 60% | Kairi - KH3 Design | Rey (+ BB8) - Star Wars 10%
Barbara Gordon - Batgirl of Burnside --% | Mercy - Overwatch --%

Last edited by Padmik : 01-25-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #19950
Quinn the Shiki
He Married that Geranium

Usually supportive parents suddenly objecting.

I got to do a Photoshoot as Gin from Detective Conan and got ten really great pictures (they're in my gallery) Only 3 of them ended up on Facebook though, because when I posted them, my dad came in immediately objecting to the fake cigarette in my mouth. I understand it was fairly realistic looking, but from certain angles you could see that it was open at the end and I'd even put in all the photo captions "the cigarette is fake, made out of construction paper. If you look carefully you can see the open end." My dad said that wasn't good enough and that he didnt understand why I'd want to emulate something so vulgar, even for a character. He even went so far as the start commenting on the pictures that the thing was disgusting. I ended up just deleting all the photos where you could see the cigarette, most of
which were my favorite shots. The next morning, my mom said she was uncomfortable with my fake gun and asked me to take down any pictures where I had it. That I could understand, it was my friend's toy guy that she'd spray painted to look more real and wasnt the bright orange and obviously fake gun I'd used for my Kohaku cosplay, plus it was only in two pictures so I didn't mind taking them down, but after my dad had indirectly forced me to remove the others, I only had three up, one of which was a derp shot of my friend an I acting like penguins in the snow. And I just know that my dad only got to the second picture-the one where you can see the orange on the fake cigarette-and freaked out because his iPad didn't show the caption, and if he'd gone through the rest of the pictures he'd have seen the open end.

I had so much fun at the photoshoot and Now I'm having trouble looking at the pictures without getting upset. I know my dad doesn't want me to get in any kind of trouble, but ugh. I left them up here because I know here people will see it as a costume and not something that family members and none-anime friends are going to see in passing jump to conclusions.
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) Revis/Levi Baskerville-Pandora Hearts, Peggy Carter-Marvel's Agent Carter, Jessica Jones-Netflix's Jessica Jones, Noah Czerny-The Raven Cycle, Rintaro Okabe-Steins;Gate, Chuuya Nakahara-Bungou Stray Dogs, Gilbert Nightray-Pandora Hearts, Hugh the bee boy-Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Graphic Novel version,) Cynthia-Pokemon,

Last edited by Quinn the Shiki : 01-26-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote