Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #19981
Shaymin770

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLittleKiss View Post
I actually have never had that problem even though I'm 16. As one acquaintance put it, "you look like you buy shit." I guess it also helps that strangers always think that I'm in my early 20's.

And on that last one, do you know how hard it is to find a non-bridal plain white dress or a cheap white garter? Ugh!
I'm also 16, but I look younger. I guess that doesn't help the situation.

I would imagine pretty difficult, since you mentioned it! XD
My most recent pain was trying to find a plain white bracelet band for my upper arm. I think I'll just have to find a white bracelet that's too large for me and try to slide it up my arm (and hope it stays there!).
Shaymin770 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #19982
Aleatory
They call me Lady Luck.

A pet peeve of mine is, well, this will probs be unpopular but... Like all the variations you see on costumes these days! To elaborate, I really do like and respect Beachstuck this or Fem! that or Fancy! this or Steampunk! etc etc. Like I said I usually really like these outfits and totes respect them! But I dunno... I guess I just prefer to see canonical outfits? There are so many characters with so many outfits and stuff, why make up your own?? I dinna ken.
Aleatory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #19983
Amanita

^Well, I do completely original characters. I've spent some time doing established stuff, now it's fun to make my own visions a reality.

I guess this frustration ties in with yours- lately people on my local con's facebook group have been posting all these pics of highly sexualized "female version of male character" cosplays. Think black lingerie and a Darth Vader helmet, or Stormtrooper helmet and a teddy with armor plating, or storm trooper armor made to look and cover about as much as a bikini. And drawings of female Boba Fett wearing next to nothing and posing like a pinup.

Now, I have nothing against cosplaying characters who are already sexual. I have nothing against female versions of male characters. But why do so many of these "male to female" cosplays end up as skimpwear? It's especially irritating when it's done to a character who would never act that way, or when functional armor gets turned into something completely non functional and revealing.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #19984
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

....this one is seriously starting to drive me nuts.

Stop posting photos of lolitas like it's just cosplay. Lolita is not cosplay.
Just because people wear lolita to conventions does not make it cosplay.
Just because some cosplays resemble lolita does not make it lolita.
Lolita is fashion.
Stop confusing the two.
Jeez.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #19985
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
A little update on this. I had to replace of one my roommates for my next con. Writing "Don't reply unless you're actually interested in rooming with me" worked great. Although it's kind of ticks me off that people have to be told that.
Yeah, it stinks that people can't just infer that. :/ At least you can now get people in your room that will follow your ground rules?

People that do not respect cosplay work or think I'm so nice I'll keep making stuff for them for free.
I have a friend, she's a good person BUT when it comes to cosplay stuff...ugh. She's an ex-cosplayer(she did it for a year and stopped). She thought she was getting back into it so I made her a Stocking sword since she wanted to be Stocking. She ended up putting it in the back of her storage under her bed and well, it broke. A couple months later, we were going to Japan Day. She wanted to be a Gatomon gijinka and I was like, "Sure. I'll make you the paws, ears and tail." So I made them and I ended up having to sew everything by hand since my machine is at home so it took way more hours than it normally would. We didn't end up going to Japan Day and I find out after we come back to college this year that she has NO IDEA where she had put the Gatomon stuff I painstaking made for her(she only paid for half the fabric and no comission cost). Well, recently she's heard about me and some other friends wanted to do a Once Upon a Time group cosplay and she wants to join us in a cosplay too. The thing is, anyone whose seen the show would know that those outfits are complicated and well, I think she thinks I'm going to be willing to make it for her. It's going to be interesting to see how she reacts to me telling her that she needs to pay full comission price for this. I'm going to be nice to my other friends and have them pay just for fabric but nope, no matter how much you complain it is full comission price or nothing.

Wow. That ended up as a wall of text...

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #19986
MotherSilver

Ugh while I have Verans head piece finished the curve isn't just how I want it :/ I'm hoping I can salvage the varaform that is on it so I can redo it and make the curve properly. If not I'm going to have to order more...
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #19987
Volkswagenbus

Zips

My current peeve is that I can't find white/silver zips long enough for Kairi's pink dress anywhere. Even online, and especially in store. We only have one hobby shop within 20 miles and I'm stuck.
Volkswagenbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #19988
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
People that do not respect cosplay work or think I'm so nice I'll keep making stuff for them for free.
I know that feel. There's also people that act as if you should be grateful that they gave you work.

A guy at my local gaming store told me that his friend of a friend wanted a costume. Great, I replied, tell her to send me an Email. He left in a huff because I didn't fall to my knees thanking him for giving me a lead.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #19989
SaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkswagenbus View Post
My current peeve is that I can't find white/silver zips long enough for Kairi's pink dress anywhere. Even online, and especially in store. We only have one hobby shop within 20 miles and I'm stuck.
Have you checked this out? I used these zippers for a friend's Kairi costume and they worked great http://www.stanssewingsupplies.com/c...prodid=4954454

Current peeve: Loosing crucial costume items with just a week before the convention. Augh, why must I be so disorganized??

Cons/Events 2014
Katsucon
Sakura Matsuri
Awesome Con DC
AMA
Otakon

Costumes in Progress
3D Maneuvering Gear
Kanata Shinonome
Super Sailor Venus
Kairi (KH2)
Christmas Town Sora

Tumblr:http://www.tumblr.co/blog/sachan33
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/SaCha...46725658814034
SaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #19990
dwayna

Wigs not being in the color you want and having to dye them and then months later, pretty much every seller caries that color in the style you need. Makes me wanna scream!
dwayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #19991
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayna View Post
Wigs not being in the color you want and having to dye them and then months later, pretty much every seller caries that color in the style you need. Makes me wanna scream!
THIS!!! So much! For Scheherazade i searched and couldn't find the shade of blue i needed, so i decided to buy a lighter blue and dye it. Welp!! Sure enough about 2-3 weeks or a month later i saw a ton of dark blue in her color. Granted i bought one and still have the other blue (not dyed) i am amazed how when it comes to cosplay magical things you think wouldn't be non-existent become so.

~Working On~
Maria Posada (The Book of Life)~50%
Yuna Ver. Songstress (FFX-2)~0%
Miku Hatsune (Sweet Devil)~0%
Scanty (PSG/W Garterbelt)~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~75%
Freya (Chobits)~10%

ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #19992
trmbngrl
Britt

People who WON'T learn new techniques out of fear or whatever. Granted, sometimes I have been stubborn at learning new things because I'm scared of messing up but... I never get mad at people for suggesting the best route for me. It's just my fault if I don't listen to them and end up making more work for myself.
I just don't understand why people would GET into cosplay if they didn't want to LEARN new things and try new things.
Is it money?
Cause if it's money... you're in the wrong hobby to be worrying about that.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #19993
Rakoku
Hawai'i Cosplayer

My biggest pet peeve with costumes that require hoopskirts is that "lampshade effect" that is sometimes seen. You can google it (for a better explanation) but basically it's when a skirt or dress ends a bit below the hoops, and there is a noticeable ridge made by the last hoop, while the rest of the dress hangs off this breakline, looking a bit like a well, lampshade.

Another related peeve is being able to see the outlines and ridges of the hoopskirt through the outfit. Brings down a really good costume IMO.

An overskirt or another layer of petticoats remedies both of these easily!
Rakoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #19994
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmbngrl View Post
People who WON'T learn new techniques out of fear or whatever. Granted, sometimes I have been stubborn at learning new things because I'm scared of messing up but... I never get mad at people for suggesting the best route for me. It's just my fault if I don't listen to them and end up making more work for myself.
I just don't understand why people would GET into cosplay if they didn't want to LEARN new things and try new things.
Is it money?
Cause if it's money... you're in the wrong hobby to be worrying about that.
>.> this speaks to me. I was planning on learning embroidery for my cosplay...but I chickened out of it. Also, I think I ordered the wrong fabric to try embroidery for the first time. So yeah....

Pet Peeve: Wigs, or me wanting to cosplay a character just because I want the wig.

Last edited by Ineedaname9 : 02-09-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #19995
usuyukisou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
Pet Peeve: Wigs, or me wanting to cosplay a character just because I want the wig.
Welcome to my life. I really *have* to stop browsing gorgeous wig sites while procrastinating on my studies. To be honest, I've started wanting certain wigs even without intention of cosplaying the intended character <___< I have... a wig problem. Might need an intervention.