Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #20026
Elycium

When someone wants to commission from you, but won't make the effort to get in touch with you. I am a busy person, especially when it comes to sewing. Expecting -me- to chase -you- down is ridiculous. I do not need to make you anything. I'm not going to beg you to know what it is you want me to make. If you want it, put in the effort to get in contact with me.

Upcoming Cosplays: Cassandra de Rolo (Critical Role) / Aveline Vallen (Dragon Age II) / Princess Allura (Voltron Legendary Defender / Cassandra Cillian (The Librarians) / Marian Hawke (Dragon Age 2) / Ursula (Kiki's Delivery Service)
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #20027
Ayekasong
Gaming Addict

My hips are my peeve right now. Damn you for being curvy!

Next up: Star Wars Celebration
Cons for 2017 - Star Wars Celebration :: Costume-Con :: Geek.Kon :: Archon :: TeslaCon

My ACP page :: Facebook :: Costume News Website :: Costume News Youtube channel:: Personal YouTube :: World Cosplay Page
Ayekasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #20028
vicomtedechagny

not being able to do shirtless male cosplays because your boobs won't stay back
or just chest bindings not wanting to behave in general
vicomtedechagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #20029
Shana05
Survivor

Not being able to search for patterns/tutorials because you don't know what something is called.

Anime Cental: SplashFree!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #20030
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

I really hate the random feeling of thinking i can only pull of male characters when i get sad about certain apects of myself, despite the fact i know other wise. I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. I usally start to hate the broadness of my back and my hands. Then it transitions into, i feel so unable to make multiple facial expressions.

(;^; ) I will strive harder!!!!! and not let myself feel so down.

~Working On~
Maria Posada (The Book of Life)~50%
Yuna Ver. Songstress (FFX-2)~0%
Miku Hatsune (Sweet Devil)~0%
Scanty (PSG/W Garterbelt)~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~75%
Freya (Chobits)~10%

ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #20031
ilafatyu
That guy

I've seen it around lately that people are angry about 'elitist' cosplayers looking down on those who don't make their own costumes. They're unhappy that they don't get any respect as cosplayers just because of their inability to sew, or their lack of time, or whatever. Their views are fair. I just don't share them.

I don't have anything against people who commission cosplays. They can be wicked fun people, and some of my closest cosplay friends have no idea how to work a sewing machine. But they just don't get a good deal of respect from me for their costume. As people, as friends, yes. As models, yes. Makeup-artists, yes. But for their costume, no. When someone just throws money at something to make it happen...

And that's my unpopular opinion of the day.

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren (Fire Emblem), Fox (RWBY)
Upgrading : Sheik (armor), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #20032
sailoriso

Biggest pet peeve is cosplayers who act nice but then turn out to be total psychos when they think no one is looking. I really admired JasonTerror but after what he said to someone on Tumblr, I don't think I'll ever look at them the same.
sailoriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #20033
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailoriso View Post
Biggest pet peeve is cosplayers who act nice but then turn out to be total psychos when they think no one is looking. I really admired JasonTerror but after what he said to someone on Tumblr, I don't think I'll ever look at them the same.
Are you trying to start a fight? >.< It's not really ok to talk poorly of other users...
And all at once, I know everything is gone
Headphone Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #20034
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
Are you trying to start a fight? >.< It's not really ok to talk poorly of other users...
This. ^

Quote:
I've seen it around lately that people are angry about 'elitist' cosplayers looking down on those who don't make their own costumes. They're unhappy that they don't get any respect as cosplayers just because of their inability to sew, or their lack of time, or whatever. Their views are fair. I just don't share them.

I don't have anything against people who commission cosplays. They can be wicked fun people, and some of my closest cosplay friends have no idea how to work a sewing machine. But they just don't get a good deal of respect from me for their costume. As people, as friends, yes. As models, yes. Makeup-artists, yes. But for their costume, no. When someone just throws money at something to make it happen...

And that's my unpopular opinion of the day.
So I should just accept a lack of respect because I can't sew, or because I simply don't have the time too? That's not fair. When it comes to sewing, my hands are basically cinder-blocks attached to my wrists. I have tried to sew before, I really have. And it turned out so horrid I burned what I made and never looked back. Does that mean I deserve less respect as a cosplayer? :/

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #20035
Unaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
To be fair he does have a habit of completely changing from nice guy to full on angry man.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #20036
ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak-kun View Post
So I should just accept a lack of respect because I can't sew, or because I simply don't have the time too? That's not fair. When it comes to sewing, my hands are basically cinder-blocks attached to my wrists. I have tried to sew before, I really have. And it turned out so horrid I burned what I made and never looked back. Does that mean I deserve less respect as a cosplayer? :/
I went out of my way to say that I don't see people who don't make their own costumes as undeserving of respect. I just find it difficult to see something that someone purchased as a reason to respect them more.

Like this. If my friend bought a Mustang, that would be frikkin sweet. It took work and time for him to save up the money, and I would constantly say "nah, let's take your car instead" just to sit in the passenger seat, but in the end it's just an item that he spent some money for. It's not a bad thing. It is what it is.

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS

Last edited by ilafatyu : 02-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #20037
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Honestly, in my opinion what's meant by "respect" is simply showing common courtesy and not being insulting and looking down on someone.

Example A!
Person 1: Oh my god, I love your cosplay! Sailor Moon is my favorite! How long did it take you to make it??
Person 2: Thank you, ah actually I commissioned it from GetYourCosplayHere dot com
Person 1: Well, it looks great on you! Can I have your picture?

Vs!

Example B
Person 1: Oh my god, I love your cosplay! Sailor Moon is my favorite! How long did it take you to make it??
Person 2: Thank you, ah actually I commissioned it from GetYourCosplayHere dot com
Person 1: What? That's crap, you're such a fake cosplayer, I bet it's cheap too. Real cosplayers make their own costumes. Allow me to give you the stink eye as I walk away in disdain!
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #20038
ilafatyu
That guy

I will admit that my smile does fade a little when someone tells me they ordered a cosplay off a website, but the person from Example B is clearly fostering some sort of complex derived from their perceived superiority. My prescription for them is to be pushed into a mud puddle by a sneaker-wearing Sasuke cosplayer.

On a less ludicrous note, I guess I define respect differently than you. Your measurement starts at zero. My spectrum has a positive and negative side, with 'zero' being neutrality rather than a complete disregard for their worth as a human being. In my mind, the situation described in B would be, I guess, negative respect, a status gained from willful stupidity or some malevolent act, while the situation described in A (with a punctuation change from exclamation point to period) would be the change from positive respect to neutrality.

God, Ethics class made me into a horrible human being. Sorry this reads like an essay. I've clearly been writing too many of them.

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #20039
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Not being able to search for patterns/tutorials because you don't know what something is called.
This also bugs me too! And I feel like I bug people every time I ask for help to figure out what it is >.<

W.I.P:
Art Nouveau Princess Hilda - LOZ:ALBW
Belle - Beauty and the Beast
Steampunk Ladybug - Miraculous Ladybug
Super Sailor Chibi Moon - Sailor Moon
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #20040
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

Everyone and everything deserves respect, but nobody should be more respected just because they bought their costumes. That has no sense at all. Cosplayers who do their own costumes take a lot of hard work to achieve their goal and, when the result looks great, they are praised for that hard work. They took not only the effort to work to pay for all the materials, but also did the extra hard work of making everything. If a cosplayer who comissions is jealous because they want the compliments that those cosplayers received due to make everything from scratch, then the cosplayer who pays for comissions should be a cosplayer who makes everything from scratch. This will take a lot of years of learning and true love for arts and crafts, but if the cosplayer loves it and is not into it just for the compliments, they will enjoy it.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote