Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 393 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #20101
Vanilla_Rose16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanda View Post
Your post implies that those of us who make our own stuff don't do everything you mentioned AND make our stuff from scratch. Believe me, we certainly do.
Trust me I understand what you are saying, and my post certainly doesn't imply that. All I am saying is that people who buy their cosplays sometimes also have to put it hard work and effort just as those who make their own cosplays do. I understand that people who make them from scratch go through a lot more, but all I am trying to say is that people who buy their own cosplays don't always have it easy. That's why I say that people who make their own cosplays deserve a ton of praise, but both deserve the same amount of respect.
Vanilla_Rose16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #20102
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

I'm going to agree with ToroSonyCat here, since it seems respect for someone's skills is being misinterpreted as respect for someone's person - so perhaps "praise" is a much better word to throw around.

Someone who buys a costume and wears it to a convention as is doesn't get much praise for their efforts (or subbing back in, respect for their cosplaying skills) because they didn't do anything - they just bought clothes and wore them. They still have respect as a person (it doesn't minus respect) and they still get some praise for joining the hobby and they get the benefit of having a good time!

But then compare them to someone who bought their costume, but then made some minor alterations to be more accurate, styled a wig, did some kickass makeup, practiced posing, etc. This person put more effort into the overall project - even if they didn't have the skills to make the outfit. This person deserves more praise for their work because they did more and they used the skills they do have, and possibly learned some new skills or improved their skills in the process. The person who bought their costume and just wore it as is doesn't lose respect for what they have done, they don't lose any praise, they don't becomes less of a cosplayer - but this person who put in their own efforts does deserve more praise because they did more and they earned it.

Then you have someone who has a cosplay that took a year to make, and they hand-embroidered, and they stitched on tiny beads, they drafted their own pattern, they styled their own complex wig etc etc etc. That person deserves a ton of recognition/praise for their work, they might not get it but they do deserve it. It doesn't mean that your costume is any less awesome, it doesn't mean that you'll get less respect for your efforts!

I love my Porygon-Z cosplay, it's in my forum picture. My boyfriend made the sweater for himself and I stole it for Frostcon. I styled the wig, made the glasses, coordinated the leggings, and did the makeup but I wouldn't say that the costume deserves as much praise or respect (for the skill involved) as my other costumes - I did most of the work in one night, while the others took weeks or months to complete!

If you feel like you aren't getting the most out of your cosplays, I suggest working to improve! If you don't feel sewing is your thing, look into props, armor, wig styling, makeup, electronics/lighting, fursuits etc. There are so many different aspects to cosplay, and while they can require creativity (or at least creative solutions) it's also a lot of the left brain. There are measurements, analyzing and planning, and calculations - especially for props where being off by a millimeter or 1/32nd of an inch can really mess with how things fit together. Start small and work your way up, and if you find something you are good at or enjoy then keep at it - but also try things you aren't good at so you can get better at them. If you get stuck, the cosplay community is really helpful if you just ask!

As for the pet peeve topic: When you get in that slump where you are really demotivated to work on a project. I want to work on Luna's dress, but I can't bring myself to actually start sewing. I am hoping that when I finish the wig I will be more motivated to sew.
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #20103
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Playing hide and go seek with supplies that you need at the moment -_-

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 85%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%[/color]

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Lisa Garland - Silent Hill
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Cerise Hood - EAH
Madeline Hatter - EAH
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #20104
xIkuna

I'm pretty sure most cosplayers who commission agree upon the fact we shouldn't get praised for whatever we commissioned. No one is saying we should! What we are saying, is that we should be "respected" less than another cosplayer who does. Costuming and sewing isn't the only thing that goes into cosplaying. Let's not forget about crazy wigs! Or those jaw dropping props! You wouldn't respect someone less because they got their Yoko rifle commissioned, would you? No. Because it's a skill some people have, and some people don't. So why respect someone less because they can't sew?

Cosplays:
Weiss Schnee (White Outfit)- RWBY
Margaery Tyrell- Game of Thrones
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #20105
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
I'm pretty sure most cosplayers who commission agree upon the fact we shouldn't get praised for whatever we commissioned. No one is saying we should! What we are saying, is that we should be "respected" less than another cosplayer who does. Costuming and sewing isn't the only thing that goes into cosplaying. Let's not forget about crazy wigs! Or those jaw dropping props! You wouldn't respect someone less because they got their Yoko rifle commissioned, would you? No. Because it's a skill some people have, and some people don't. So why respect someone less because they can't sew?
Going off this definition:
Quote:
re·spect
/riˈspekt/
Noun
A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Yes, you may have less respect for someone who commissioned or bought something when compared to others who made it themselves. You could respect them for another of their skills, qualities and achievements though - just not respect for their sewing abilities.

That's just my opinion though
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #20106
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

What fun is there in this craft if you can't sew yourself? That is probably my only peeve about cosplaying that inspired me to sew personally.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #20107
MaryWesker
MistressMaryD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
What fun is there in this craft if you can't sew yourself? That is probably my only peeve about cosplaying that inspired me to sew personally.
I find plenty of fun in cosplaying and my sewing skills are extremely limited. Just being able to be a character for a little bit and meet and spend time with others with similar interests is fun enough for me.
Vaas Montenegro - Far Cry 3
nurse!Meg - Supernatural
Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - Silent Hill 2
Alice Abernathy - Resident Evil Movie
DeviantArt
Tumblr
MaryWesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #20108
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
To some people, cosplaying is as much about the journey as the destination. Building the outfit is as much fun as getting to be their favorite character for a little while, for hanging out with other people who like the same things they do, and so on.

But for others, it's all about character portrayal, going to cons, hanging out with other fans, and the like. How they get the costume isn't as important- whether they make it, buy it, or find it on the side of the road, it's all good.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #20109
jukebox
role models > supermodels

I'm sorry, but the amount of entitlement people are exhibiting on the issue of buying versus making costumes is just getting silly.

No, you do not get an award just for participating. No, you are not entitled to exact same amount and the exact same levels of recognition and praise as people who've been able to make their own stuff. Thinking that you are entitled to the same levels of attention as people who have done more work than you do is naive, because it's called "credit where its due". And if you're taking that as an attack on the amount of basic respect and dignity you deserve as a human being, it's nobody else's fault that you're insecure.

I'm saying this as someone with a lot of cosplays that are either pre-made that I just altered, or assembled from pre-made pieces.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #20110
Unaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
I'm sorry, but the amount of entitlement people are exhibiting on the issue of buying versus making costumes is just getting silly.

No, you do not get an award just for participating. No, you are not entitled to exact same amount and the exact same levels of recognition and praise as people who've been able to make their own stuff. Thinking that you are entitled to the same levels of attention as people who have done more work than you do is naive, because it's called "credit where its due". And if you're taking that as an attack on the amount of basic respect and dignity you deserve as a human being, it's nobody else's fault that you're insecure.

I'm saying this as someone with a lot of cosplays that are either pre-made that I just altered, or assembled from pre-made pieces.
It would probably help if your posts didn't come off as high and mighty :/
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #20111
usuyukisou

jukebox and PurpleDuckie pretty much said everything I would have on that topic. One can get respect in many different ways, beginning with the basic clinical courtesy given to everyone by default. Sewing. Wig-styling. Metal-work. Wood-work. Make-up. Posing. Lighting. Electronic light-up parts. Can't do any of the above? Maybe you are an exceptional engineer; you can be respected for your engineering talents while your cushy engineering job pays for you to cosplay just like those who can make their own. Your merit brings you that type of respect, and it isn't limited to only one kind of talent.

And on the original topic, I've run into another peeve: trying to find a certain mannequin. The wig head I am now using is not going to cut it for me, but...
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #20112
Unaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
And on the original topic, I've run into another peeve: trying to find a certain mannequin. The wig head I am now using is not going to cut it for me, but...
If you need a mannequin, make a duct tape one to fit your body.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #20113
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaki View Post
If you need a mannequin, make a duct tape one to fit your body.
Probably not a good idea to ducktape your head....

^ If your wig heads the problem, try borrowing your friends head that is close to your size? Or try cutting the wig while on your head then evening out the back on your wig head? I've done both before. lol it works well enough for me.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #20114
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
jukebox and PurpleDuckie pretty much said everything I would have on that topic. One can get respect in many different ways, beginning with the basic clinical courtesy given to everyone by default. Sewing. Wig-styling. Metal-work. Wood-work. Make-up. Posing. Lighting. Electronic light-up parts. Can't do any of the above? Maybe you are an exceptional engineer; you can be respected for your engineering talents while your cushy engineering job pays for you to cosplay just like those who can make their own. Your merit brings you that type of respect, and it isn't limited to only one kind of talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
Probably not a good idea to ducktape your head....

^ If your wig heads the problem, try borrowing your friends head that is close to your size? Or try cutting the wig while on your head then evening out the back on your wig head? I've done both before. lol it works well enough for me.
what if you duck tape the wig head to make it the same size as the head?

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 85%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%[/color]

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Lisa Garland - Silent Hill
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Cerise Hood - EAH
Madeline Hatter - EAH
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #20115
usuyukisou

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try to enlarge the wig head to match my head's size more closely.