Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 586 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #20101
jukebox
made you look.

I'm sorry, but the amount of entitlement people are exhibiting on the issue of buying versus making costumes is just getting silly.

No, you do not get an award just for participating. No, you are not entitled to exact same amount and the exact same levels of recognition and praise as people who've been able to make their own stuff. Thinking that you are entitled to the same levels of attention as people who have done more work than you do is naive, because it's called "credit where its due". And if you're taking that as an attack on the amount of basic respect and dignity you deserve as a human being, it's nobody else's fault that you're insecure.

I'm saying this as someone with a lot of cosplays that are either pre-made that I just altered, or assembled from pre-made pieces.

Unread 02-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #20102
Unaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
I'm sorry, but the amount of entitlement people are exhibiting on the issue of buying versus making costumes is just getting silly.

No, you do not get an award just for participating. No, you are not entitled to exact same amount and the exact same levels of recognition and praise as people who've been able to make their own stuff. Thinking that you are entitled to the same levels of attention as people who have done more work than you do is naive, because it's called "credit where its due". And if you're taking that as an attack on the amount of basic respect and dignity you deserve as a human being, it's nobody else's fault that you're insecure.

I'm saying this as someone with a lot of cosplays that are either pre-made that I just altered, or assembled from pre-made pieces.
It would probably help if your posts didn't come off as high and mighty :/
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #20103
usuyukisou

jukebox and PurpleDuckie pretty much said everything I would have on that topic. One can get respect in many different ways, beginning with the basic clinical courtesy given to everyone by default. Sewing. Wig-styling. Metal-work. Wood-work. Make-up. Posing. Lighting. Electronic light-up parts. Can't do any of the above? Maybe you are an exceptional engineer; you can be respected for your engineering talents while your cushy engineering job pays for you to cosplay just like those who can make their own. Your merit brings you that type of respect, and it isn't limited to only one kind of talent.

And on the original topic, I've run into another peeve: trying to find a certain mannequin. The wig head I am now using is not going to cut it for me, but...
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #20104
Unaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
And on the original topic, I've run into another peeve: trying to find a certain mannequin. The wig head I am now using is not going to cut it for me, but...
If you need a mannequin, make a duct tape one to fit your body.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #20105
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaki View Post
If you need a mannequin, make a duct tape one to fit your body.
Probably not a good idea to ducktape your head....

^ If your wig heads the problem, try borrowing your friends head that is close to your size? Or try cutting the wig while on your head then evening out the back on your wig head? I've done both before. lol it works well enough for me.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #20106
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
jukebox and PurpleDuckie pretty much said everything I would have on that topic. One can get respect in many different ways, beginning with the basic clinical courtesy given to everyone by default. Sewing. Wig-styling. Metal-work. Wood-work. Make-up. Posing. Lighting. Electronic light-up parts. Can't do any of the above? Maybe you are an exceptional engineer; you can be respected for your engineering talents while your cushy engineering job pays for you to cosplay just like those who can make their own. Your merit brings you that type of respect, and it isn't limited to only one kind of talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
Probably not a good idea to ducktape your head....

^ If your wig heads the problem, try borrowing your friends head that is close to your size? Or try cutting the wig while on your head then evening out the back on your wig head? I've done both before. lol it works well enough for me.
what if you duck tape the wig head to make it the same size as the head?

W.I.P:
Holiday Sailor Moon- NoFlutter
Princess Hilda - LOZ:ALBW
Historically Accurate Tiana - Princess and the Frog
Goddess Vaporeon - Pokemon
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #20107
usuyukisou

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try to enlarge the wig head to match my head's size more closely.
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #20108
Talossa
We try hardcore!

If your issue is that it's one of those female styrofoam wig heads and it's too small, try finding a male styrofoam wig head. Those ones are generally a lot closer in size to an actual human head.
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #20109
piffle esque
mahou shoujo in training!

When I get these awesome 40-50% off coupons from Hancocks in my email and they turn out to be in store only. DX
piffle esque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #20110
sillymyway

When I have no place to carry my things during a cosplay. D: I always have to carry around a bag that doesn't fit the cosplay and then drop it when someone asks for picture.
AnimeNEXT
TooManyGames
Otakon
A Video Game Con

.:2016 Cosplays:.
Alessandro (Trinity Blood)
Franziska von Karma (Ace Attorney)
Bunny! Armin (Attack on Titan)

sillymyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #20111
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPwnsGanon View Post
what if you duck tape the wig head to make it the same size as the head?
I don't think it quite works like that. I tried to do that and all I ended up doing is pissing myself off and having to buy another wig head. I think there is a way to do so but I've never seen a tutorial to do it. But if you do good luck!~
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #20112
magnum-desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
I don't think it quite works like that. I tried to do that and all I ended up doing is pissing myself off and having to buy another wig head. I think there is a way to do so but I've never seen a tutorial to do it. But if you do good luck!~
In case you'd like to try again, this is how you modify a wig head to be your size.
1) Put your hair up in your wig cap, just as if you were going to put on a wig.
2) Cover your head (but not your face) in saran wrap. Make sure there are no gaps, or else you'll be pulling tape of your wig cap/any hair peeking through it.
3) Cover everything your wig cap covers in masking tape or duct tape until you have a sturdy "helmet".
4) Put the "helmet" on your wig head, stuff the space between the styrofoam and saran wrap with whatever (newspaper, leftover fabric, etc.). Doesn't matter what, you just don't want it to lose its shape over time.
5) Tape edges of "helmet" into place. You can also mark your natural hairline on it, if you'd like.
magnum-desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #20113
sweetnsassy
*swish swish stab*

Waiting for patterns to go on sale. I just missed the last round of sales and found the perfect pattern for a new cosplay.

WIP cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (earth kindgom): 90%
Toph Bei Fong (fire nation): 90%

Future cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (Bei Fong estate gown):0%
Haruhi Fujioka (final episode ballgown): 0%
Ciel Phantomhive (green suit): 0%
sweetnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #20114
Vanilla_Rose16

My biggest pet peeve is probably carrying around a bag in cosplay. Since I don't stay at the hotel I am normally forced to carry around a small bag and it's always a hassle taking it off for photos. Although it's not so bad when your non-cosplaying friends offer to hold it for awhile, lol. I've had many moments at the last con I attended where I constantly handed over my bag to my friend as I got a photo taken. I felt bad XD
Vanilla_Rose16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #20115
Quinn the Shiki
He Married that Geranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rose16 View Post
My biggest pet peeve is probably carrying around a bag in cosplay. Since I don't stay at the hotel I am normally forced to carry around a small bag and it's always a hassle taking it off for photos. Although it's not so bad when your non-cosplaying friends offer to hold it for awhile, lol. I've had many moments at the last con I attended where I constantly handed over my bag to my friend as I got a photo taken. I felt bad XD
I hate this as well! DX
I got lucky though that when I did Gin from Detective Conan, everything I needed for the day fit in my briefcase.

As for my peeve:
Not being able to go cosplay shopping when I want. I was hoping my mom would take me the JCPenny and Michael's so I could get stuff to work on Saphir's jacket while at my friend's house tomorrow, so I walked the dog and did everything I could and she was just too tired when she got home. The mall is right across the street and it's too cold to walk -3-

Curse my irrational fear of driving.
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) May-Pokemon, Peggy Carter-Marvel's Agent Carter, Jessica Jones-Netflix's Jessica Jones, Noah Czerny-The Raven Cycle, Dia Kurosawa-Love Live Sunshine, Osamu Dazai-Bungou Stray Dogs, Gilbert Nightray-Pandora Hearts, Hugh the bee boy-Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Graphic Novel version,) Cynthia-Pokemon,
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote