Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #20161
vizardvalor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
I'm sure this has been said way too many times, but there are way too many responses for me to go through. So, sorry if I'm repeating.

It really bothers me and almost made me give up cosplaying altogether to hear this one repeatedly told to me...by my own "friends"(I use the term loosely) and fellow cosplayers:

"Cosplay is for white people! Your kind just can't look like anything different because you all look alike!"
OR
"Ewww! You should try cosplaying a character that's your own color...or not at all! You're disgracing us as a community! Havent' your people had enough yet?"

Yeah, that's a thing that was said. Hearing that so many times at cons and from my so called friends nearly made me quit cosplaying. It was thanks to the support of SMART people like you all that made me at least want to try and continue. Also, another one I heard that kinda stung really bad:

"You had to buy your outfit premade?! You're a disgrace to the coslaying community! It's bad enough that you're black, but you're parading around in stuff that you bought?! Go die!"

Yep, someone actually told me to go die for wearing a premade outfit when they found out it was premade. Eh...I've a pretty evil issue that makes it so that I can't really sew(check my bio if you're curious), though I'm trying to figure out how to despite it. No luck yet...
I know that feel. I remembered when I posted my Viewtiful Joe cosplay and someone reblogged it as N****r Joe, I felt so hurt and offended. But I like cosplaying its fun so I'll keep doing it and you should too. Plus I get my cosplays premade too. Not everyone has a god given talent to sew out of the womb so screw the people dissing premade cosplay, when you pay for it; its yours (but give credit if someone ask). Good luck btw!

Unread 03-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #20162
MoonWingSamurai

It's sort of interesting to note that in Japan "premade", online purchased or commissioned costumes are viewed as quite acceptable and almost preferable to self-made. Here in the U.S. (where cosplay was invented), however, it is less preferable to cosplay in a costume that was not made by the person wearing it. I have no idea why or how this view came about, but that's the way it is. Also, this may be a more common attitude among anime cosplayers. I'm not sure other cosplay realms (Star Wars, DC or Marvel superheroes, sci-fi, etc.) feel the same way. For example, I do know that a good percentage of Star Wars Storm Trooper cosplayers definitely purchase their armor and then embellish/modify the parts themselves. This practice is not questioned at all in that community. I don't know either what the attitude is regarding purchased costumes in other countries, though it would be interesting to find out.
MoonWingSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #20163
IenzoRenaNipah

My pet peeve is when a cosplay group turns a bunch of male characters into, well, SLUTS. I saw a Kingdom Hearts skit on YT and it had one male character wearing booty shorts with fishnet stockings and another male character wearing nothing but fishnet stockings. (The cosplayer fell and you could see her blue panties!) I mean, I have no problem if a little detail is off, but making an evil overlord wear FISH NETS?!?!? REALLY?!?! The skit was beautiful (other than some of the pairings in it in my opinion) and well rehearsed, but the cosplay themselves were TERRIBLE.

TL;DR, Females turning modest male characters into sluts.
The skit in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwO8pvDtcpI
IenzoRenaNipah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #20164
emmisu
King of Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenzoRenaNipah View Post
My pet peeve is slut shaming. Or any type of shaming really (ie: body or race shaming, etc)
I understand how it can be annoying to constantly see X, Y or Z character turned into a lingerie model. I get it.

But then you don't have to take a picture or wear the costume, or even look at the person.

For all you know, that person may have achieved a weight loss or fitness goal, or hell maybe they're just comfortable in their own skin. No matter the reason, shaming them or calling them a 'slut' only succeeds in contributing to rape culture and gender double standards in America.

I'm just sick of hearing people call women 'sluts' as if they way you dress automatically means you're promiscuous or that a woman being promiscuous is a bad thing.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #20165
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

emmisu: I agree about the slut shaming, but I do not think that was the posters point at all. I think their pet peeve is character derailment or OOCness, not showing off skin.

And besides that, peeves don't really need to be rational. There's nothing wrong with disliking or being annoyed at certain things as long as you aren't a jerk about it.

Just my two cents~ ;3

~ ♥ ~
| Facebook | Tumblr | WorldCosplay |
~ ♥ ~
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #20166
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by LluviaSarcasm View Post
emmisu: I agree about the slut shaming, but I do not think that was the posters point at all. I think their pet peeve is character derailment or OOCness, not showing off skin.

And besides that, peeves don't really need to be rational. There's nothing wrong with disliking or being annoyed at certain things as long as you aren't a jerk about it.

Just my two cents~ ;3
Yeah, that's the vibe I got from it- they were annoyed at pretty much the same thing I ranted about here earlier- characters being sexualized even when it was inappropriate for that character's personality or function, such as lingerie model Boba Fett or armored teddy Darth Vader.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #20167
IenzoRenaNipah

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
My pet peeve is slut shaming. Or any type of shaming really (ie: body or race shaming, etc)
I understand how it can be annoying to constantly see X, Y or Z character turned into a lingerie model. I get it.

But then you don't have to take a picture or wear the costume, or even look at the person.

For all you know, that person may have achieved a weight loss or fitness goal, or hell maybe they're just comfortable in their own skin. No matter the reason, shaming them or calling them a 'slut' only succeeds in contributing to rape culture and gender double standards in America.

I'm just sick of hearing people call women 'sluts' as if they way you dress automatically means you're promiscuous or that a woman being promiscuous is a bad thing.
I didn't think that they WERE sluts, just saying they dressed revealing! And if they did acomplish a goal, a cosplay skit at a con was NOT the place to show it. I don't mind if they show a little skin, but I'm not trying to shame them, I LOVE their group and the skit, but it's just a point to make. If you're going to dress as a male character and perform in a skit, they should try to wear clothes that doesn't make them look bad.
I didn't mean to 'shame' them and 'look at it and shame it', it was a beautiful skit all together.

Last edited by IenzoRenaNipah : 03-03-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #20168
IenzoRenaNipah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
such as lingerie model Boba Fett or armored teddy Darth Vader.
Well you just made my day better.
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #20169
Amanita

Lol thanks! Yes, these costumes do exist, I've seen the pics. I've got nothing against cosplaying as a sexy character like Slave Leia, but somehow lingerie Boba just seems wrong.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #20170
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

...I'm not even going to comment on other peeves.

However...my peeves at the moment have to be misinformed and power high con staff as well as coming home from a convention to discover that you've really not got the energy to deal with anything drama or self image related.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #20171
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
I didn't think that they WERE sluts, just saying they dressed revealing! And if they did acomplish a goal, a cosplay skit at a con was NOT the place to show it. I don't mind if they show a little skin, but I'm not trying to shame them, I LOVE their group and the skit, but it's just a point to make. If you're going to dress as a male character and perform in a skit, they should try to wear clothes that doesn't make them look bad.
I didn't mean to 'shame' them and 'look at it and shame it', it was a beautiful skit all together.
Well perhaps don't use the term "slut" in reference to the character being portrayed in skimpy attire? Because the word is super damaging and as Emmisu said, contributes to rape culture and perpetuates horrible stereotypes. You may not be calling the girls sluts, but by referring to the attire as "slutty" it inadvertantly shames people who dress like that in real life. And if the skit was done out of humor I see nothing wrong with some Curry style fishnets and lingerie.

Because an evil overlord character can totally rock the lingerie dude bro
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #20172
xIkuna

Quote:

I get what you're saying. I do. But calling them "sluts", like literally going on the skit video and commenting that maybe they shouldn't dress so slutty is terrible, and rude and demeaning. Skimpy is the correct word, not slut.

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Taako Taaco- The Adventure Zone

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #20173
Shana05
Survivor

Quote:
Yeah, that's the vibe I got from it- they were annoyed at pretty much the same thing I ranted about here earlier- characters being sexualized even when it was inappropriate for that character's personality or function, such as lingerie model Boba Fett or armored teddy Darth Vader.
However in your rant, you kept it about the costume. You didn't say anything insulting about the person wearing it.

Anime Cental: SplashFree!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #20174
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Lol thanks! Yes, these costumes do exist, I've seen the pics. I've got nothing against cosplaying as a sexy character like Slave Leia, but somehow lingerie Boba just seems wrong.
Doesn't really take a whole lot of imagination to come up with that kind of "sexy" cosplay either. It's actually quite boring, especially since it's been done to death. I'd much rather see a more serious cross-play of a male character. At least that would take a little more thought than just throwing on some underwear and a mask!
MoonWingSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #20175
Tigress

I think the better term would be "tasteless" instead of "slutty". When you're just strutting around in your underwear and putting everything on display, it leaves nothing to imagination. I think a girl looks sexier when they wear something revealing, but only show just enough to intrigue.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote