Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 101 votes, 4.62 average.
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #20161
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
Peeve of the Day: Bad Cosplay Tumblr blogs. They just make me very upset. And I could assume that most of the time they are run by non cosplayers as I just feel cospalyers should never bad mouth their fellow cosplayers. So the idea of that makes me upset even more at it. They just really get to me.

I couldn't agree more. Seriously, if you don't even cosplay yourself then how can you talk?

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon 3 | Anime Festival Orlando 15 |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #20162
Shana05
The Nation of Love

I had the same argument with someone claiming that cosplayers were the most hateful people in the nerd community. All while saying they're not a cosplayer, just an outside observer. If you're not a cosplayer yourself, how can you accurately make that assessment?

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #20163
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post

I couldn't agree more. Seriously, if you don't even cosplay yourself then how can you talk?
Exactly! I think we as cosplayers know what we have to through, and no one is ever perfect. People who never have cosplayer...shouldn't talk when they have never done it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I had the same argument with someone claiming that cosplayers were the most hateful people in the nerd community. All while saying they're not a cosplayer, just an outside observer. If you're not a cosplayer yourself, how can you accurately make that assessment?
Cosplayers? Hatful? Over the years I have never met a mean cosplayer (Ok maybe one or two out of the like...hundreds!) But like I said before, if you haven't cospalyed, you don't deserve to talk smack. I just want to dare anyone who makes fun of cosplayers to just try it. See if they'll be saying the same stuff after.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #20164
Elita-1
Dat supersaiyan swagger

When mistakes are made because of your own incompetence.
30 dollars of liquid latex and two full weekends right down the toilet because my dumb butt couldn't be arsed to do a few google searches to make sure it was accurate.
'Nah' I said 'I'll just follow this easy peasy tutorial video, surely they MUST know what they're talking about'.

Turns out they didn't. At all.

The most embarrassing part? I have an art book from the movie..I literally have a bunch of pictures in HD.. huge photos of what I'm making at my disposal.

Maybe one day I'll look back on this and laugh. Maybe.

~There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life. ~
Elita-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #20165
Animedude1024
See you All at AX 2012!

When Cosplayers bash other cosplayers.
Animedude1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #20166
MoonWingSamurai

There are so many responses to this topic that I couldn't read through them all, so if this pet peeve was mentioned already, then my apologies for the repetition. I think what irritates me the most is the misconception held by many people who believe cosplay is a strictly "Japanese thing" or that only anime, manga and game characters can be cosplayed. The absolute worst, however, are the idiots who actually believe that only Japanese people are the "best cosplayers" and no one from any other countries should even try. The truth is that wearing costumes to conventions was started in America as far back as the 1930's and it wasn't until the mid-1980's that it was introduced to Japan. Also, the inspiration for cosplay can come from just about anywhere...comics, movies, TV, books, music, etc...and certainly not only from Japan. As for those who think cosplay should only be attempted by one group of people on this planet, I hope one day they will get their heads out of their butts and educate themselves on the history of cosplay. Maybe then they would stop polluting the internet with their narrow-minded comments.

Last edited by MoonWingSamurai : 03-02-2013 at 02:42 AM.
MoonWingSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #20167
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Here's my peeve- Trying to get materials that I just can't find here in Halifax. I need a smallish piece of transparent light blue acrylic, and I'm having the worst time- sure, I've found some websites that sell it, but shipping costs a bloody fortune, even for a small piece.
So in order to justify the stupid-high shipping costs, I'll have to wait and make a larger order, ordering a bunch more stuff.
I can definitely sympathize with this peeve. Sometimes it's not easy to find the right materials no matter where you live!
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #20168
trmbngrl
Britt

Having people doubt you based on things they don't even know. I had a bunch of people laughing at me for wanting to sew a corset after sewing for such a short amount of time. >>
And it turned out fine.
Like shut up and get better yourself, don't scoff at people trying to stretch their abilities.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #20169
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
Honestly, in my opinion what's meant by "respect" is simply showing common courtesy and not being insulting and looking down on someone.

Example A!
Person 1: Oh my god, I love your cosplay! Sailor Moon is my favorite! How long did it take you to make it??
Person 2: Thank you, ah actually I commissioned it from GetYourCosplayHere dot com
Person 1: Well, it looks great on you! Can I have your picture?

Vs!

Example B
Person 1: Oh my god, I love your cosplay! Sailor Moon is my favorite! How long did it take you to make it??
Person 2: Thank you, ah actually I commissioned it from GetYourCosplayHere dot com
Person 1: What? That's crap, you're such a fake cosplayer, I bet it's cheap too. Real cosplayers make their own costumes. Allow me to give you the stink eye as I walk away in disdain!
Suiseiseki0284, you are freaking hilarious! "Allow me to give you the stink eye..." Priceless!
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #20170
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

False advertisement! The glue didn't dry 'clear' like its advertised and now I need to figure out how to fix my wig. T_T
Suguru from Hiiro no Kakera, Atsuri from Hiiro no Kakera 4, Kaname from Brothers Conflict, fem!Russia from Hetalia, Chrom from Fire Emblem, Lightning from FF13, Hades from Kamigami no Asobi, Klaiver from Ace Attorne

Events: Kawaii Kon 15
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #20171
CautiousAmber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
Peeve of the Day: Bad Cosplay Tumblr blogs. They just make me very upset. And I could assume that most of the time they are run by non cosplayers as I just feel cospalyers should never bad mouth their fellow cosplayers. So the idea of that makes me upset even more at it. They just really get to me.
THIS MAKES ME SO UPSET

I remember a few people in my anime club started posting links to blogs like that on our facebook page--when they weren't even consplayers themselves--and they didn't understand at all how hurtful it was to laughing at people who put so much effort into this hobby.
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #20172
CautiousAmber

oops double post
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart

Last edited by CautiousAmber : 03-02-2013 at 07:08 AM.
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #20173
Nemi

I hate people who think they look better than other people in the same cosplay they are all wearing. This really happened in the event I attended. I was at a SAO photoshoot and one of the Asuna, who is now my friend, told me that this certain and fellow Asuna cosplayer said she was the better looking Asuna of all the rest. I was surprised and said who the heck does she think she is.

Cosplays For 2013/2014
Asuna Yuuki (SAO): 90% ~ Gou Matsuoka (Free!): 95%
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts): 65% ~ Yuri Nakamura (Angel Beats!): 20% ~ Sayaka Miki (PMMM): 5%

Cons I'm Attending
TigerCon, NekoCon, VA Comic Con
Nemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #20174
AshofRebirth

This isn't really a pet-peeve, just based on the fact that it makes me LOL hard more than be annoyed.

Probably has been said before, but people who are asking for a commission with a budget waaaaay too low, and when others try to explain and spell it out for them, they're just like "WELL IT'S ALL I CAN AFFORD SORRY NOT PAYING A MILLION DOLLARS FOR SOMETHING SO SIMPLE"
(read: I DON'T REALLY VALUE A COMMISSIONER'S TIME AND SKILL)

And still leave the ad up like someone will waltz along and actually take the shoddy offer ^^

It's just like.. Hah. You are so naive. It's hilarious.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!

Last edited by AshofRebirth : 03-02-2013 at 07:23 AM.
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #20175
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

I'm sure this has been said way too many times, but there are way too many responses for me to go through. So, sorry if I'm repeating.

It really bothers me and almost made me give up cosplaying altogether to hear this one repeatedly told to me...by my own "friends"(I use the term loosely) and fellow cosplayers:

"Cosplay is for white people! Your kind just can't look like anything different because you all look alike!"
OR
"Ewww! You should try cosplaying a character that's your own color...or not at all! You're disgracing us as a community! Havent' your people had enough yet?"

Yeah, that's a thing that was said. Hearing that so many times at cons and from my so called friends nearly made me quit cosplaying. It was thanks to the support of SMART people like you all that made me at least want to try and continue. Also, another one I heard that kinda stung really bad:

"You had to buy your outfit premade?! You're a disgrace to the coslaying community! It's bad enough that you're black, but you're parading around in stuff that you bought?! Go die!"

Yep, someone actually told me to go die for wearing a premade outfit when they found out it was premade. Eh...I've a pretty evil issue that makes it so that I can't really sew(check my bio if you're curious), though I'm trying to figure out how to despite it. No luck yet...

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Deciding...
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote