Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 586 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #20161
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
Honestly, in my opinion what's meant by "respect" is simply showing common courtesy and not being insulting and looking down on someone.

Example A!
Person 1: Oh my god, I love your cosplay! Sailor Moon is my favorite! How long did it take you to make it??
Person 2: Thank you, ah actually I commissioned it from GetYourCosplayHere dot com
Person 1: Well, it looks great on you! Can I have your picture?

Vs!

Example B
Person 1: Oh my god, I love your cosplay! Sailor Moon is my favorite! How long did it take you to make it??
Person 2: Thank you, ah actually I commissioned it from GetYourCosplayHere dot com
Person 1: What? That's crap, you're such a fake cosplayer, I bet it's cheap too. Real cosplayers make their own costumes. Allow me to give you the stink eye as I walk away in disdain!
Suiseiseki0284, you are freaking hilarious! "Allow me to give you the stink eye..." Priceless!
MoonWingSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #20162
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

False advertisement! The glue didn't dry 'clear' like its advertised and now I need to figure out how to fix my wig. T_T
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #20163
CautiousAmber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
Peeve of the Day: Bad Cosplay Tumblr blogs. They just make me very upset. And I could assume that most of the time they are run by non cosplayers as I just feel cospalyers should never bad mouth their fellow cosplayers. So the idea of that makes me upset even more at it. They just really get to me.
THIS MAKES ME SO UPSET

I remember a few people in my anime club started posting links to blogs like that on our facebook page--when they weren't even consplayers themselves--and they didn't understand at all how hurtful it was to laughing at people who put so much effort into this hobby.

Upcoming Events:
ASTL 2015, Colossalcon 2015, Youmacon 2015

TUMBLR / FACEBOOK / COSPIX
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #20164
CautiousAmber

oops double post

Upcoming Events:
ASTL 2015, Colossalcon 2015, Youmacon 2015

TUMBLR / FACEBOOK / COSPIX

Last edited by CautiousAmber : 03-02-2013 at 07:08 AM.
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #20165
Nemi

I hate people who think they look better than other people in the same cosplay they are all wearing. This really happened in the event I attended. I was at a SAO photoshoot and one of the Asuna, who is now my friend, told me that this certain and fellow Asuna cosplayer said she was the better looking Asuna of all the rest. I was surprised and said who the heck does she think she is.

Cosplays For 2013/2014
Asuna Yuuki (SAO): 90% ~ Gou Matsuoka (Free!): 95%
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts): 65% ~ Yuri Nakamura (Angel Beats!): 20% ~ Sayaka Miki (PMMM): 5%

Cons I'm Attending
TigerCon, NekoCon, VA Comic Con
Nemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #20166
AshofRebirth

This isn't really a pet-peeve, just based on the fact that it makes me LOL hard more than be annoyed.

Probably has been said before, but people who are asking for a commission with a budget waaaaay too low, and when others try to explain and spell it out for them, they're just like "WELL IT'S ALL I CAN AFFORD SORRY NOT PAYING A MILLION DOLLARS FOR SOMETHING SO SIMPLE"
(read: I DON'T REALLY VALUE A COMMISSIONER'S TIME AND SKILL)

And still leave the ad up like someone will waltz along and actually take the shoddy offer ^^

It's just like.. Hah. You are so naive. It's hilarious.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!

Last edited by AshofRebirth : 03-02-2013 at 07:23 AM.
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #20167
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

I'm sure this has been said way too many times, but there are way too many responses for me to go through. So, sorry if I'm repeating.

It really bothers me and almost made me give up cosplaying altogether to hear this one repeatedly told to me...by my own "friends"(I use the term loosely) and fellow cosplayers:

"Cosplay is for white people! Your kind just can't look like anything different because you all look alike!"
OR
"Ewww! You should try cosplaying a character that's your own color...or not at all! You're disgracing us as a community! Havent' your people had enough yet?"

Yeah, that's a thing that was said. Hearing that so many times at cons and from my so called friends nearly made me quit cosplaying. It was thanks to the support of SMART people like you all that made me at least want to try and continue. Also, another one I heard that kinda stung really bad:

"You had to buy your outfit premade?! You're a disgrace to the coslaying community! It's bad enough that you're black, but you're parading around in stuff that you bought?! Go die!"

Yep, someone actually told me to go die for wearing a premade outfit when they found out it was premade. Eh...I've a pretty evil issue that makes it so that I can't really sew(check my bio if you're curious), though I'm trying to figure out how to despite it. No luck yet...

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Planning Stage...
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #20168
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
I'm sure this has been said way too many times, but there are way too many responses for me to go through. So, sorry if I'm repeating.

It really bothers me and almost made me give up cosplaying altogether to hear this one repeatedly told to me...by my own "friends"(I use the term loosely) and fellow cosplayers:

"Cosplay is for white people! Your kind just can't look like anything different because you all look alike!"
OR
"Ewww! You should try cosplaying a character that's your own color...or not at all! You're disgracing us as a community! Havent' your people had enough yet?"

Yeah, that's a thing that was said. Hearing that so many times at cons and from my so called friends nearly made me quit cosplaying. It was thanks to the support of SMART people like you all that made me at least want to try and continue. Also, another one I heard that kinda stung really bad:

"You had to buy your outfit premade?! You're a disgrace to the coslaying community! It's bad enough that you're black, but you're parading around in stuff that you bought?! Go die!"

Yep, someone actually told me to go die for wearing a premade outfit when they found out it was premade. Eh...I've a pretty evil issue that makes it so that I can't really sew(check my bio if you're curious), though I'm trying to figure out how to despite it. No luck yet...
What an awful experience you've had! Please continue cosplaying and don't let the ignorant haters get you down. Hopefully karma will bite them in the ass one day.
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #20169
Amanita

^Yes, please don't let a bunch of racist bags of dick stop you! No, wait. Those idiots aren't dicks- dicks are actually fun and useful. They're just ignorant know-nothings.

Personally, I like seeing People of Color in the cosplay community- for the simple reason that this hobby should NOT have a color bar. Whether you choose to cosplay a character the same color as you, or simply cosplay your favorite regardless of color, you have every right to do so, every right to be here and enjoy this hobby, the same as everyone else.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #20170
Amanita

I'll add one more, about the non cosplayers who rag on cosplayers. The other day, I read a comment from one of "those" on Kotaku.com. He was ranting about "all the bad cosplay out there", while admitting that he didn't cosplay himself.

I would have loved to ask him why. So why don't you cosplay? You admit you don't have the skills of those epic cosplayers? That skill like that takes serious work and dedication to achieve, and you don't have it? Some of those "bad cosplayers" are on their way there, just not all the way yet. They're still learning the basics, picking up skills. Should they sequester themselves in basements or refrain from going out in public until they're "Best in Show" level?
And others don't care if they're super good or accurate- they're happy with what they can do, and don't care if they're the best or not. They just want to dress up and have fun. Should those types refrain from cosplaying or stay away from cons?

So you don't cosplay, yet you tear those who do for not being perfect. Well, at least the "bad cosplayers" have the guts to put themselves out there and make an effort.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #20171
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I'll add one more, about the non cosplayers who rag on cosplayers. The other day, I read a comment from one of "those" on Kotaku.com. He was ranting about "all the bad cosplay out there", while admitting that he didn't cosplay himself.

I would have loved to ask him why. So why don't you cosplay? You admit you don't have the skills of those epic cosplayers? That skill like that takes serious work and dedication to achieve, and you don't have it? Some of those "bad cosplayers" are on their way there, just not all the way yet. They're still learning the basics, picking up skills. Should they sequester themselves in basements or refrain from going out in public until they're "Best in Show" level?
And others don't care if they're super good or accurate- they're happy with what they can do, and don't care if they're the best or not. They just want to dress up and have fun. Should those types refrain from cosplaying or stay away from cons?

So you don't cosplay, yet you tear those who do for not being perfect. Well, at least the "bad cosplayers" have the guts to put themselves out there and make an effort.

Someone quick! Find a Rawst Berry!
Why? Because that person needs to recover from that rather nasty BURN! heh

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Planning Stage...
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #20172
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post

This sums up my entire feeling on the matter!

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook

Last edited by Tangledinblue : 03-02-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #20173
AnimeLuxray25

Quote:
Someone quick! Find a Rawst Berry!
Why? Because that person needs to recover from that rather nasty BURN! heh
^ Oh my god, that was epic....I love you.

Quote:
FUDGE YES, I'm totally 1OO% with you here.
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #20174
vizardvalor

Quote:

OR

I know that feel. I remembered when I posted my Viewtiful Joe cosplay and someone reblogged it as N****r Joe, I felt so hurt and offended. But I like cosplaying its fun so I'll keep doing it and you should too. Plus I get my cosplays premade too. Not everyone has a god given talent to sew out of the womb so screw the people dissing premade cosplay, when you pay for it; its yours (but give credit if someone ask). Good luck btw!
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #20175
MoonWingSamurai

It's sort of interesting to note that in Japan "premade", online purchased or commissioned costumes are viewed as quite acceptable and almost preferable to self-made. Here in the U.S. (where cosplay was invented), however, it is less preferable to cosplay in a costume that was not made by the person wearing it. I have no idea why or how this view came about, but that's the way it is. Also, this may be a more common attitude among anime cosplayers. I'm not sure other cosplay realms (Star Wars, DC or Marvel superheroes, sci-fi, etc.) feel the same way. For example, I do know that a good percentage of Star Wars Storm Trooper cosplayers definitely purchase their armor and then embellish/modify the parts themselves. This practice is not questioned at all in that community. I don't know either what the attitude is regarding purchased costumes in other countries, though it would be interesting to find out.