Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #20401
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
And if they are, hit them with a rake.

I mean kindly ask them to step away.

Then hit them with a rake.
If ANY guy does such a thing, kindness is out of the window.
Slap them with a rake like the fu...er, punks they are. Yeah...punks...hehe

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Anime Boston 2017
Hourai Doll - Touhou Project
SECRET SPECIAL DEBUT COSPLAY!!!
Patchouli Knowledge - Touhou 06: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #20402
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

I've never really been felt up at a con, and I'm a total creeper magnet. I've had guys put their arms around me in rather inappropriate ways when asking for a photo with me or when dancing with me at the formal dance, but pulling me way too close for comfort and/or placing a hand too close to my butt I don't really define as getting "felt up." I've been hit on by tons of guys, creeped on by tons of guys, grabbed by the arm or shoulder by guys, but never had anywhere below the top of my hip/the very top of my butt get touched, nor my breasts.

I think that as long as you are aware of your surroundings, don't let anyone get too close, and don't pose for pictures with people while wearing something sexy, you should be fine. Really, it isn't that common of an occurrence to be touched against your will in cosplay, at least in my experience. Hugs from nowhere will probably be your biggest concern if you don't like to be touched, as a lot of overly excited fans don't realize that people like their personal space and don't exactly like being hugged without permission, though I do see a lot less glomping and such these days than in years past. I've had way more issue with people invading my space verbally than physically.

If you aren't wearing anything revealing, you probably won't have any issues at all. I don't think I've ever had any problems with creepers in outfits like Lady Blackpearl, Eruca, etc., that aren't particularly sexy, but have had tons of problems as Ulala, Maj. Kusanagi, etc., where the character not only wears something revealing, but is known to be sexy. Just be on your guard, and you'll likely have zero issues at all!
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #20403
xIkuna

Okay, i get not wearing a wig- you didn't have enought time to get a decent one, too much money, your hair color is pretty darn close- but why can't you straighten your hair! For example, I see so many great Korra's! But they'll have really curly hair! Korra's hair is straight, straighteners can be pretty darn cheap! Arg, it just ruins it for me...

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Taako Taaco- The Adventure Zone

xIkuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #20404
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
Okay, i get not wearing a wig- you didn't have enought time to get a decent one, too much money, your hair color is pretty darn close- but why can't you straighten your hair! For example, I see so many great Korra's! But they'll have really curly hair! Korra's hair is straight, straighteners can be pretty darn cheap! Arg, it just ruins it for me...
Using an iron also helps straighten hair! I do it all of the time for my sisters

W.I.P:
Art Nouveau Princess Hilda - LOZ:ALBW
Belle - Beauty and the Beast
Steampunk Ladybug - Miraculous Ladybug
Super Sailor Chibi Moon - Sailor Moon
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #20405
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

^ Yeah, back in the 60's and 70's (and the few people in the 80's who DIDN'T want giant frizzed hair), you literally ironed your hair to straighten it. Laid your head down on the ironing board with your hair brushed out overtop and had someone run the iron over it. No easy commercial flatirons. mmm, no electric curling irons for a while, too. My Grandma and my older aunts remember sleeping in metal rollers til the 70's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #20406
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
Yes! This can be said for anyone who has a similar hairstyle to the character. If your character has curly hair and yours is straight, find a friend with a curling iron! If your character has straight hair and yours is curly, find a friend with a straightener! Please D':

On that note, actually, my peeve is whenever you see a wonderful cosplayer but they just miss out on one little simple thing that you just can't get over. I have this problem with shoes a lot. I don't mind as much when they're something ridiculously complicated that you maybe couldn't do, but something as simple as wearing sneakers when the character wears black boots. Just..please get boots? D:
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #20407
AsianPsylocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
On that note, actually, my peeve is whenever you see a wonderful cosplayer but they just miss out on one little simple thing that you just can't get over. I have this problem with shoes a lot. I don't mind as much when they're something ridiculously complicated that you maybe couldn't do, but something as simple as wearing sneakers when the character wears black boots. Just..please get boots? D:
Ha, I hope I don't upset any Psylocke fans when I cosplay her for the first time in June. She is normally shown wearing high heels or heeled boots (except in her newest costume that she changed to this year), but I decided against it because, with her being a ninja, I just felt she should be wearing tabi shoes or regular flats. I think my back and feet will thank me for it after walking around for hours too.

Future Cons:

NYCC 2015
Otakon Las Vegas 2016
LVL Up Expo 2016
Wizard World Las Vegas 2016
Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con 2016
AsianPsylocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #20408
KatyCruel

When someone has obviously spent hours upon hours and loads of money...on ONE piece of their costume. But the rest of it is just cobbled together and looks like junk. Like....you spent all that time and money on making that one piece look amazing! Why would you pair it with something you safety pinned together in the hotel room? Wait until you can give the rest of the costume the same treatment as you gave that one piece. (Like when a cosplayer has a fantastic wig but the costume is junk? Yeah, like that.)

2013 Con Season!
- No-Brand Con (Eau Claire, WI - April 12-14) DONE!
- Anime Detour (Minneapolis, MN - April 19-21) DONE!
- Animinneapolis (Minneapolis, MN - June 28-30)
- MetaCon (Minneapolis, MN - August 30-September 1)
- TeslaCon (Madison, WI - October 31-November 3)
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #20409
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianPsylocke View Post
Ha, I hope I don't upset any Psylocke fans when I cosplay her for the first time in June. She is normally shown wearing high heels or heeled boots (except in her newest costume that she changed to this year), but I decided against it because, with her being a ninja, I just felt she should be wearing tabi shoes or regular flats. I think my back and feet will thank me for it after walking around for hours too.
Looking at her design, I would say that tabi boots (can you get thigh-high tabi boots? lol) would be a better choice than regular flats, since it would look like an intentional choice to make her outfit practical rather than a mistake.

I forgot how horribly impractically designed many comic book heroines are. :< They're clearly designed entirely for sex and not at all for practicality or to show off their (non-sexual) strengths. No one in her right mind would actually wear that outfit for fighting, so I'd probably actually be glad to see someone change her shoes to something logical, like tabi boots!

If anyone gives you a hard time about it, that's their problem, not yours. Even people who disagree with changing a character's design can probably respect someone who put thought into it and did it for a logical reason. As long as you keep the design coherent, and you seem to have put thought into it, I doubt anyone will get upset.
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #20410
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by AziaAnn View Post
Its always the guys who only come to cons to see the "freaks" and to write articles for blogs/newspapers/ect..
In regards to people who show up at cons to "freak spot", I'd love to say something to them. Namely, that since cons aren't free to get into, and even a day pass costs money- guess what? When they paid their admission, they just kissed the con's ass by giving it money! Also, how sad and pathetic it is to spend time and money hanging out in places you don't like, just to find people to hose on.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #20411
GuardianLioness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I'd cosplay them anyway. If nobody could cosplay a character because they died, there'd be maybe half the options to choose from (and there sure are a lot of Aeriths at cons...).
:3 Thanks so much for the encouragement! I'm still planning on finishing the cosplay. If people speak to me at cons, I can always crack jokes about being dead. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musouka_Ningyou View Post
And almost no Homestuck cosplay... ;P
This made me laugh. So hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricities View Post
Let me see...
Posted on the 16th...after 11AM...
Gonna go with either Aya or Wally.

On a non-deducing note, cosplay it anyway. <3
Haha correct! I'm genderbending Wally. I just started watching the show a month ago, and it had to go out that way? XD

Although, I suppose it provides opportunities for fanmade sequel videos in cosplay...
GuardianLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #20412
Quinn the Shiki
I'm in Raffaenzo Hell

Rant time, sorry >.<

My friends and I had a photoshoot last friday, and I decided to do Prince Lui from Ludwig Kakumei since last time I wore that costume, it got too dark to take pictures. I put on the binding, the high heeled boots, the lip makeup, and I wrecked my posture trying to keep my wig from tangling. I waited for my friend to take as many pictures as she wanted in two different costumes but when it was my turn, I got maybe...5 pictures and none of them were particularly good because once again, it had gotten too dark to be outside and take pictures without the flash. My lip makeup was coming off from waiting so long and the camera flash just enhanced that DX

I'm not complaining about waiting for my friends to take 47 pictures because I don't mind waiting, it's when all that waiting screws me over in the end that I hate >.< is my Lui cosplay just cursed or something?
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) Decim-Death Parade, Akoya Gero-the Magical Boy anime, Makoto Kowata-Flying Witch, Liv Moore-iZombie, Newt Scamander-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Licht von Granzreich-The Royal Tutor, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoshiko Tsushima-Love Live Sunshine, Maki Nishikino-Love Live (Christmas outfit)
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #20413
rajamitsu

Oh, multiple pieces of reference art, why can you not agree on that piece's general shape? :|
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #20414
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
In regards to people who show up at cons to "freak spot", I'd love to say something to them. Namely, that since cons aren't free to get into, and even a day pass costs money- guess what? When they paid their admission, they just kissed the con's ass by giving it money! Also, how sad and pathetic it is to spend time and money hanging out in places you don't like, just to find people to hose on.

Actually.. not all cons are really diligent about that. I've known people who try to get out of paying for a badge because they just want to hang out in the "common" areas, such as the hotel lobby with their friends, and not go to panels, dealers room, artist alley, etc etc. And some of them get away with it.
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #20415
Enjiko
lonely angel

Peeve at the moment- waiting for a wig. My friend and I are really worried that our wigs won't come in time for the con next weekend. Though the delivery estimate ends the day before the day I need it, and the seller has positive reviews on shipping time, I can't help but feel nervous. u_u;

Another thing sort of related, I wish cons could have their programming schedules up a little earlier. Because sometimes cosplay plans can be affected because of it, and trying to put together something in three weeks can be stressful. But I guess it's my own fault for not making the costume as soon as I got the stuff to make it. And also a little selfish of me, as the people who set up the con are probably working as hard as they can..
Enjiko is offline   Reply With Quote