Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 99 votes, 4.62 average.
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #20401
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musouka_Ningyou View Post
And almost no Homestuck cosplay... ;P
I laughed. A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabcakes View Post
People who think you should only cosplay characters that look like you.
I'm sorry that all the characters in the series I like that look like me are silent protagonists and therefore not interesting to me in the slightest.

I prefer to cosplay characters that have similar personalities to mine so I can be in character at the con without too much difficulty. I feel when someone is in character it elevates the cosplay from "Oh hey that person is dressed as X I should get a picture." to "OMG IT'S X I HAVE TO GET A PICTURE OF THEM!"

Which I guess means my other peeve is when people don't know the character they're cosplaying. I mean I'm not gonna hate someone for cosplaying a character based on their appearance, but if they can't be in character for photos I'm probably not going to like their cosplay that much, even if it was perfectly made with all the right materials.
I'm having to deal with this right now. I'm a short chubby girl trying to decide between two tall slender guys to cosplay. I don't care whether they're suited for me or not, I really like them and their designs so I will cosplay them.
And neither of them is close to my personality. I think it's fun to step outside of the box and have to try hard to be in character (as long as it's fun. If it's annoying and feels like work, that ain't good.)

And I have to agree on that one. I will admit I tend to fawn over characters and want to cosplay them without researching up much, but I would never actually go to a con as a character I know nothing or next to nothing about. I always make sure I know a lot about their personality, mannerisms, etc first. My minimum is please know a couple of poses and scan over their Wikipedia page for some basic facts like relationships with other characters. That can make or break the pictures you get.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #20402
Ilafatyu
That guy

When a person is making announcements to the gathering, people generally shut up until they're done. But I've found that a lot of Homestucks are too busy having fun and laughing and so on to notice. They were yelling above the speaker, even. I don't have anything against the fandom, but I do notice they tend to be the ones being accidentally obnoxious.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #20403
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
When a person is making announcements to the gathering, people generally shut up until they're done. But I've found that a lot of Homestucks are too busy having fun and laughing and so on to notice. They were yelling above the speaker, even. I don't have anything against the fandom, but I do notice they tend to be the ones being accidentally obnoxious.
On the other end of the spectrum though, a Homestuck cosplayer was helping out at the Black Butler photoshoot at Momocon and I know I heard some people just nearly ignoring him since he was a Homestuck. No. Stop being rude. I try to be nice to everyone regardless what they look like until they give me some reason for me to dislike them.

My peeve..The fact that red will never look flattering on me. My eyes are really light and it tends to really wash my skin out and make me look silly. GRR. I want to cosplay Shin sometime. D:<
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #20404
AziaAnn

-Getting felt up constantly at cons: Its always the guys who only come to cons to see the "freaks" and to write articles for blogs/newspapers/ect..

-when your partner doesn't want you to cosplay as a character because other people will look at you and POSSIBLY find you attractive.
AziaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #20405
eccentricities

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianLioness View Post
When the character you wanted to cosplay gets killed off in the series finale.
Let me see...
Posted on the 16th...after 11AM...
Gonna go with either Aya or Wally.

On a non-deducing note, cosplay it anyway. <3
rumminov's fancytier Nepeta wig plz hurry
Penelo (FFXII: Revenant Wings) on hold
Ai Enma (Hell Girl) on hold
The Painted Lady (Avatar: The Last Airbender) on hold
Aya (GLTAS) god why do i keep adding stuff?
annnnd trying to pick a Young Justice character to add to the list...

now i just gotta figure out my cons
eccentricities is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #20406
kendraduck09

So apparently someone from the shittycosplay blog is going to be at Zenkaikon this weekend.

You've got to be kidding me.

That blog shouldn't even exist in the first place. It's just a way of bullying people into not wanting to cosplay at all. Now I (and everyone else as well) will probably be worried about someone asking to take a picture... o.O
Noiz (DRAMAtical Murder)

Going to Setsucon 2014, Katsucon 2014, Zenkaikon 2014, and Otakon 2014

~ Tumblr ~ Cosplay Facebook ~ List of Cosplays ~

kendraduck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #20407
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Not being able to complete your con cosplay list! I can't decide on my final cosplay for AUSA.
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #20408
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendraduck09 View Post
So apparently someone from the shittycosplay blog is going to be at Zenkaikon this weekend.

That blog shouldn't even exist in the first place. It's just a way of bullying people into not wanting to cosplay at all. Now I (and everyone else as well) will probably be worried about someone asking to take a picture... o.O
That....has one of my friends on there. Not cool.

Oh um....peeve.

I have this issue where I'd like to do non-anime cosplay but I don't like feeling like I can't actually pull it off. Real people=harder to pull off than anime characters.
:c
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #20409
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendraduck09 View Post

This is one of those things that bugs me a bit. If it bothers you, don't view their site. Is it mean spirited? Sure. Are they going to change because they trampled on your feelings? Nope. Who cares what a bunch of douchebags think anyway? Did you have fun in your costume? Did you enjoy the con while you were there? Yes? Then screw them. Don't let internet dicks keep you down.
“You’re better than having to deal with assholes. You’re better than people who don’t honor you. You’re fucking awesome, this is your journey, and it should not be slowed down—I don’t care if it’s your boss, your boyfriend, or your fucking dog. Anyone that doesn’t dig your shit, then you need to move on, because we don’t have time to waste. However, you do have an obligation: You–must–rock.” -Greg Behrendt
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #20410
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
This is one of those things that bugs me a bit. If it bothers you, don't view their site. Is it mean spirited? Sure. Are they going to change because they trampled on your feelings? Nope. Who cares what a bunch of douchebags think anyway? Did you have fun in your costume? Did you enjoy the con while you were there? Yes? Then screw them. Don't let internet dicks keep you down.
This kind of thing is so nice in words and doesn't work in practice.
Sometimes you can't ignore mean words, although you should always try that doesn't mean we should ignore assholes and let them be without letting them know that nobody approves of their actions.

So yeah my peeve is how bad resin smells. ><
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #20411
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Well, as long as you understand that they don't care if you approve or not, only that you react, then it's fine. Like I said, it's fine to feel upset, but don't torture yourself and keep giving them the attention they crave.
“You’re better than having to deal with assholes. You’re better than people who don’t honor you. You’re fucking awesome, this is your journey, and it should not be slowed down—I don’t care if it’s your boss, your boyfriend, or your fucking dog. Anyone that doesn’t dig your shit, then you need to move on, because we don’t have time to waste. However, you do have an obligation: You–must–rock.” -Greg Behrendt
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #20412
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Peeve: accidently buying the wrong shade of fabric, thinking what your eye seen of the image and other references was accurate, then realizing later you were way offX"D i've done this twice with two tops i'm working on and with The princess of the crystals wig. Ohhhh tis all a learning process, that's how i'm viewing this, lol.

~Working On~
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Clawdeen Wolf Ver. (Monster High)~20%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)

~Planning Stages~
Cana Alberona (Fairy Tale)
Yuiko Hawatari (Loveless)
Ranka Lee (Macross Frontier)

~On Hold~
Scheherazade Al-Rahman(Trinity Blood)~3%
Princess of the Crystal (Mawaru Penguindrum)~10%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #20413
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

The slightly claustrophobic feeling I feel in just about every costume. I can't explain why, but I always seem to be moving a little bit more carefully and feel SO much bulkier, regardless of whether the costume is bulky or not. It's really weird, I could be dressed as Ellis from L4D2 and feel like I'm wearing a tractor trailer behind me.
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #20414
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by AziaAnn View Post
-when your partner doesn't want you to cosplay as a character because other people will look at you and POSSIBLY find you attractive.
Wow, that person must be too jealous and insecure of themselves if is thinking that you are going to go with somebody else just because some other people could find you attractive. Sounds sick.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #20415
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
The slightly claustrophobic feeling I feel in just about every costume. I can't explain why, but I always seem to be moving a little bit more carefully and feel SO much bulkier, regardless of whether the costume is bulky or not. It's really weird, I could be dressed as Ellis from L4D2 and feel like I'm wearing a tractor trailer behind me.
Glad I'm not the only one who gets that feeling. I'm told I walk like a robot when I'm in cosplay.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote