Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 377 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #20566
LawlietCookies
Don't save anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LluviaSarcasm View Post
Amanita, LawlietCookies, CaramellDancer: Thank you, that was my point precisely!
I was slightly worried about being called racist because I pointed out bit of a double standard.
I just think that if people say that one can cosplay whoever one likes without regarding race that this should go for everyone then.
True equal rights only come if you don't discriminate or put anyone on a pedestral, I think.
^THIS! and dont worry you weren't being racist at all, it truly is a double standard -_- I agree with you completely!
Anise Tatlin (Tales of the Abyss)

LawlietCookies is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #20567
DMEAddiction
The Hanar Spectre

Okay. Another peeve.
I have quite a few beginner cosplayer friends. Most of them have honestly never cosplayed before, to be honest, and since I'm the more "experienced" (using that term loosely) of them, they come to me for suggestions and advice.
So I give them a little list of cosplays that they could maybe do, keeping their skill level in mind, of course. And hell, I even consider if they would need a wig or not. Just because I try to be nice.
But then they go and say "oh, that's too hard."
Um. No. It's within your skill level and you could easily alter clothes in your closet to produce a decent product.
tl;dr I hate it when people ask for suggestions but refuse to actually try to do those suggestions.
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #20568
MoonWingSamurai

Just thought of another one since it's happening to me right now. I can't find a good place to use aerosol glue or paint! I used to have access to a spacious warehouse, but not anymore and my garage is full at the moment. Can't do it outside either since I have neighbors on both sides and I don’t want that stuff flying all over the place. Sucks!
MoonWingSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #20569
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Taking a trip to the store and forgetting to pick up certain items. I just went to Joann and I forgot to get a frog closure, which is the only thing I need to finish Ciel's shirt. Oh well, I'll just get it next time.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #20570
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Knocking over my sewing kit. I do it so often and then my needles are everywhere.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #20571
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I know that this one has been said before, but inaccurate references are the worst.
Yana's usually pretty good about keeping up consistency across everything, but god, Undertaker's pendants have shown up 3-4 different ways now. D: In the anime they're shown to be all the same or just silver circles, in the reference sheet they're shown to be made a specific way, in detailed pictures they're totally different..
I'm going to put it up as her figuring out what she wanted to do with them gradually, but it's still annoying when trying to find references for these things if I'm gonna make them.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #20572
BlooShine

I hate when I plan/figure out all my stuff at night when everything is closed, then have to wait until the next day to do my shopping.

Big 'ole list of cosplays!

Levy - Fairy Tail
Menma - Ano Hana
Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier
Xiao - Dark Cloud (Remaking cosplay)
Eris, Goddess of Discord and Chaos - Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #20573
rajamitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
I know that this one has been said before, but inaccurate references are the worst.
Yana's usually pretty good about keeping up consistency across everything, but god, Undertaker's pendants have shown up 3-4 different ways now. D: In the anime they're shown to be all the same or just silver circles, in the reference sheet they're shown to be made a specific way, in detailed pictures they're totally different..
I'm going to put it up as her figuring out what she wanted to do with them gradually, but it's still annoying when trying to find references for these things if I'm gonna make them.
Grr, inconsistent references! I'll second this frustration. I pulled a number of references for Ja'far's headpiece and none of them look the same. You'll probably just have to end up doing what I did and pick one to stick with. Fewer headaches that way.
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #20574
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamitsu View Post
Grr, inconsistent references! I'll second this frustration. I pulled a number of references for Ja'far's headpiece and none of them look the same. You'll probably just have to end up doing what I did and pick one to stick with. Fewer headaches that way.
I have too. I'm going more with the manga version than the anime, better references that way too. xD
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #20575
AsianPsylocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frekki View Post
I just got back from Wondercon and something I overheard there made me realize my biggest pet peeve. It's when people call a girl a slut or whore or some other demeaning name just because her costume might not be the most modest of things. True, the particular cosplayer was almost naked, but the bits of armor she was wearing were very intricately designed and very well done! I think she was a character from Witchblade but I am not familiar with the series so i could be wrong. Anyway, some other girl walked by, scoffed, and said something along the lines of, "Look there's that slut again." I mean come on, seriously? How rude! Luckily the cosplayer wasn't in hearing range and the friend I was with called the girl out on her rude remark.
I'm not sure how many women at Wondercon were dressed as Sara Pezzini from The Witchblade, but I did see a pic of a girl (maybe it's the same chick?) with the costume you described and I thought it looked amazing too. I love that series. That is one of the things I'm really nervous about since my character's costume is a little revealing as well. I'm not nervous so much as for myself, but my husband will be with me while I'm in costume at an upcoming convention and I don't want him to get upset with how harsh some people can be.

Future Cons:
Comikaze
LVL UP Expo
Wizard World Las Vegas
Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con
NYCC
AsianPsylocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #20576
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Motivated to do cosplay when I don't have time then unmotivated when I do have time.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #20577
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Okay well...a couple of more peeves.....

It's so difficult to try to achieve that movie/more realistic accuracy, even when you look a little like who you're trying to cosplay.

And....it drives me crazy when I end up connecting to a character from something I'd ordinarily never even give a second glance. That's right, I'm looking at you Madoka Magica. You and all your frilly pink girly-ness. I hate pink.
=x=
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #20578
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
And....it drives me crazy when I end up connecting to a character from something I'd ordinarily never even give a second glance. That's right, I'm looking at you Madoka Magica. You and all your frilly pink girly-ness. I hate pink.
=x=
Madoka genderbends are pretty popular, so you could find one of those that you like and do it instead. o.o

My peeve..rowdy cousins that can't keep their mitts off my cosplay stuff >x< I get they're young and all (6 and 9, from what I remember), but I've told them on multiple occasions that they DO NOT touch my wigs or costumes unless I give them permission or help them. My Ririchiyo wig is even more tangled from being pulled at and he nearly took the curls out of my femCiel wig from tugging at it so much.
Also, my stupid self being too embarrassed to do makeup tests. I have some things that I could use to practice doing Undertaker's scar by drawing until I can get modeling wax, but I know my family will laugh at me if I try it out while they're home. OTL
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #20579
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Quote:
Madoka genderbends are pretty popular, so you could find one of those that you like and do it instead. o.o
I can't stand genderbends, they drive me insane....so...nope. I'll suck it up and deal with it eventually....or never at all, lol.

I don't know if this is a peeve or not but I absolutely hate having to go back and watch things I've cosplayed from.....I end up seeing things I did wrong or missed.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #20580
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Also, my stupid self being too embarrassed to do makeup tests. I have some things that I could use to practice doing Undertaker's scar by drawing until I can get modeling wax, but I know my family will laugh at me if I try it out while they're home. OTL
I feel the same way. I usually wait until my mom isn't home before I do makeup tests(my sisters I'm okay with). It was really awkward one time after I did a makeup test(for Gumi and Saber), my mom came home and asked me why I had goth makeup on. -_- Apparently I was able to get the shadow off without trouble but a little bit of the thick black eyeliner was still there.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote