Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #20596
emmisu
King of Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Unless its made specifically for the cosplay market, schoolgirl skirts aren't SUPPOSED to be little tiny miniskirts. My high school had uniforms; the skirt length was no more than three inches above the knee (though a lot of girls broke that rule by rolling or getting someone to hem their skirt, then the school cracked down on it by ruining the kilts by building in shorts and banning ALL hem adjustment). And that's REALLY short compared to what most countries that routinely have uniforms- or, almost all the rest of the world- allow. Japan, it's AT the knee, not the tiny skirts on mega-long legs they show in anime, South and Central America, it's at or below the knee, ANKLE length in Indonesia....
Of course, and those are supposed to be that long and made accordingly.
I'm talking about commissioned cosplay skirts lol
When I used to buy costumes, they would send skirts that were meant to be miniskirts and cut how a miniskirt would be (like the width of it would increase fairly early) and then it's just extra long and therefore extra wide but at an awkward length/width

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #20597
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
Of course, and those are supposed to be that long and made accordingly.
I'm talking about commissioned cosplay skirts lol
When I used to buy costumes, they would send skirts that were meant to be miniskirts and cut how a miniskirt would be (like the width of it would increase fairly early) and then it's just extra long and therefore extra wide but at an awkward length/width
Ah, that makes more sense. Yes, a flared tiny miniskirt is a fair bit different from a longer school uniform skirt. Did they not offer the measurement for deciding how long the hem would be? Seems like a dumb thing to leave out of a skirt comission. The same length regardless of height/leg length might come to one person's knees and hardly cover the crotch of another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #20598
xIkuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
Like a minor thing that bothers me personally is when people/companies make schoolgirl type skirts really long.
It's such a small thing I guess, but it just irks me to see because I feel like that can really mess up the way a costume looks overall. When you make a skirt longer without adjusting the hip-waist fit, it makes your legs look incredibly short. It just really needs to be tapered differently idk

When I used to buy costumes I had a skirt sent to me that was like that, and I got so mad haha
I completely agree! I've gotten skirts before that were too long, and it made the costume look totally frumpy(the costume wasn't the greatest, anyways, as it was my first)! So now if I need a miniskirt made, I'll specifically go to a commissioner, instead of ordering it from a store in China.

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Taako Taaco- The Adventure Zone

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #20599
siyrean

when you start to tally up your mats and realise the costume you only planned on spending $100 on, is actually closer to $200
ColossalCon - Mai - Avatar tLA +swimsuit, Drunk!Yuuri - YoI, Mito - FoodWars
DragonCon - Johanna - HungerGames bunnyhop, Yuuri - YoINight, Undyne - Undertale, Dolores - WestWorld, Drunk!Yuuri - YoI
BeachCityCon - JasperTale
Teslacon - Steampunk
siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #20600
AsianPsylocke

Getting temporarily laid off from work right when I find the perfect boots to go with my costume. I need those boots before June, so hopefully I get hired back on before then. Grrrrr.

Future Cons:

NYCC 2015
Otakon Las Vegas 2016
LVL Up Expo 2016
Wizard World Las Vegas 2016
Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con 2016
AsianPsylocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #20601
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

This didn't happen at AAD, but some of what I saw made me think of it:

I like acting in character as much as anyone. Hell, acting in character as I interact with others is most of the fun in cosplaying to me. But please don't overdo it if you do. If you're being a loud and obnoxious character, I'm fine with you acting so when you know you're around people that know you're just being in character. But please don't go the whole freaking con yelling at everyone and being vulgar. That's just distasteful and humiliating to you, along with being incredibly annoying.

Related to that, don't expect me to be in character for the entire con, unless I am being a character that's very close to my personality or that I can fake easily, when I am sitting down, resting, talking to my friends casually, no, I will not act in character. Maybe early in the con when I have energy I will, but later on, probably not. Don't harass me for not really being my character. That only seems fair.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #20602
Asa Gohan
Cussin at Sewing Machine

Having a cosplay to start working on, but no money or time.

At least I get a lot of time to think about it!

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #20603
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

Other cosplayers messing with props and not respecting personal space.

It's not yours, do not touch it...especially do not try to take it.

Also, don't get in peoples' faces. This is general etiquette that should not just apply to out of conventions and is especially important during conventions.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #20604
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
Other cosplayers messing with props and not respecting personal space.

It's not yours, do not touch it...especially do not try to take it.

Also, don't get in peoples' faces. This is general etiquette that should not just apply to out of conventions and is especially important during conventions.

Yeah, we may not be "in a play" as some non cosplayers love to ask us, but we still play in the real world, and real world rules still apply.

I don't think it's inherently rude to ask somebody if you can hold their prop, it crosses the line if you won't take no for an answer, or get nasty about it.
I've asked to hold things before- sometimes cosplayers love to show off their stuff and happily pass a prop to me. It helps that I ask nicely and come across as mature and responsible, not like somebody who's gonna do something stupid.
I have been turned down before- in one case, it was two-fold, one because the prop in question didn't belong to the person I asked about it, and second, the group he was a part of had had problems in the past with people picking up prop weapons and being dumbasses. The gentleman I was talking to was quick to assure me that he didn't think I was the sort of person who would do that, mind you

In the other case, this was an event where live steel blades were allowed, and the person I asked was hesitant to take his prop sword out with all those other people around, even if it wasn't sharp. He just didn't want to risk an accident in case somebody got too close or wasn't watching where they were going.

Last edited by Amanita : 04-08-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #20605
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Yeah, we may not be "in a play" as some non cosplayers love to ask us, but we still play in the real world, and real world rules still apply.

I don't think it's inherently rude to ask somebody if you can hold their prop, it crosses the line if you won't take no for an answer, or get nasty about it.
I've asked to hold things before- sometimes cosplayers love to show off their stuff and happily pass a prop to me. It helps that I ask nicely and come across as mature and responsible, not like somebody who's gonna do something stupid.
I have been turned down before- in one case, it was two-fold, one because the prop in question didn't belong to the person I asked about it, and second, the group he was a part of had had problems in the past with people picking up prop weapons and being dumbasses. The gentleman I was talking to was quick to assure me that he didn't think I was the sort of person who would do that, mind you

In the other case, this was an event where live steel blades were allowed, and the person I asked was hesitant to take his prop sword out with all those people around, even if it wasn't sharp.
In most cases, I have no problems letting people see props or plush or whatever it may be if they ask me and I'm confident that they're not going to do something to damage it. Don't get me wrong, accidents happen..and if I'm not comfortable letting you see something, I'll answer any questions you might have about it and move on. But for the love of everything, do not get in my face and try to take my prop off of my belt.
(Yes, this did happen at an event yesterday, and I'm still quite pissed off about it)

Where has peoples' respect gone and how can we get it back.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #20606
Amanita

Yeah, that IS a problem right there. I remember some idiot down on the Halifax waterfront wanting to hold the lightstaff I had just spent a few hundred bucks on parts for. I just didn't trust the guy, so I politely turned him down. He got all mad and called me a bitch. Gee, freaking out and swearing are really going to reassure me that you're a safe person to hand my prop to, that you won't break it or try to run off with it.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #20607
BlooShine

Oh, I dislike that! D:
I made a prop vending machine for my Shizuo cosplay and when I was sitting with a friend and talking to him, I had the prop in front of me and was leaning on it a bit. This girl came up and hit the soda bottles I had on it, like it was a button or something, and smacked me right in the lip with my prop. Then she walked away, no expression change or anything. Not gonna lie, it hurt.

I just remember to be extra patient at cons because of the lowered amounts of respect. I get it. People are in their comfort zones but it's no reason to act with any less respect.

Big 'ole list of cosplays!

Levy - Fairy Tail
Menma - Ano Hana
Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier
Xiao - Dark Cloud (Remaking cosplay)
Eris, Goddess of Discord and Chaos - Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #20608
Angii
Slifer Spaz

I know that feeling. I'm always super wary of who I let touch my props, and depending on the outfit, who I let touch me. It's all fun and games until you break my stuff, unless it was only a temporary prop/piece, then I'll laugh it off and probably not care too much.

But new peeve, because it just happened to me today! Doing a group shoot with a photographer, cosplaying a much lesser remembered/noticed character, and then waiting 2 years for them to post the photos... Only to find every photo that has you even remotely placed in it wasn't posted. Like, if I had been told they hadn't turned out or something, that's one thing, but I flat out hadn't heard anything until the photos popped up today. I mean, come on. I already retired the costume, and I was doing a much more casual version that I could use my hair for back then, but can't now since I cut it and dyed it different. :<
Angii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #20609
Eiashian
Air Pirate E

People who judge people not on the costume, but their physical appearance. I don't feel someone has to be a certain skin tone, height or weight to cosplay =p. I care about the quality of the costume, and if they look like effort was put into them. Not to say I look down on people who buy their cosplays, not at all (hell I used to). There is a huge difference between the discount wal-mart halloween section and an awesome commission however...

I do share the pet peeve of people distorting a character to make them more 'sexy' too. If you really just want to run around in a bikini and mini skirt, don't put half-assed pikachu ears and tail on and call it cosplay; just run around in that and be skanky. Likewise, don't take a fully dressed character and make an OC costume so you can be half nude. There are plenty of legitimate characters who have skimpy costumes on, choose one of them to cosplay, then it's accurate.

Also I hate being mistaken for other characters T.T. So many people asked me if I was Riza when I was cosplaying Olivier from FMA...I like Riza and all, but I didn't think I looked like her. Could have been worse lol.

Finally I hate putting a ton of detail into a cosplay, only for it to be overlooked entirely. I spend many painstaking hours trying to make my cosplays as accurate as I can without driving myself crazy, but it seems like no one ever takes notice of that. Usually I'm complimented on my choice of fabric xD. Go figure.

Cosplays in progress:

Demon form Rin - 50%
Battletorn Levi - 80%
Interrogation Levi - 70%
Angel form Stocking - 50%

Props in progress :

3D Maneuver Gear
Rin's Katana 30% *eventually LED
Stocking's sword 30% *eventually LED

Eiashian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #20610
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Uh..right now..people being horrible about selling things at the worst times. This person has responded back to me efficiently and wonderfully about a wig I'm interested in thus far...but it seems as soon as I actually have the money and ask them where I need to send said money to, they decide they don't want to sell it from me anymore as they don't respond to my messages.
And yes, I've looked at their profile, and they have been online recently, but never responded. Why. I swear. I would be a little more lenient with the wait but all I'm asking for is a place to send the money; nothing that takes too much effort to provide me. It is pissing me off and stressing me out seeing this, and I'm really close to asking if they're still interested in selling the thing and instead looking at saving up or selling a couple of things so I can afford the Grell wig I was looking at instead.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote