Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #21106
Maith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryso View Post
I am getting so tired of the disgusting comments people make on facebook cosplay pages whenever a female is featured. The top comments are always "10/10 would bang" or "id rape her" and it makes me so angry I don't even have words for it. Wtf does sex have anything to do with how good a cosplay is?
Me too. I don't have many revealing costumes but STILL people make weird comments. Like my Hanekawa Tsubasa cosplay, I DON'T want people to write "BEEWWBZ" or something like that on my photos. I didn't do this cosplay to show my boobs, I did it because I love the character. I didn't turn some innocent character into an uber-sexy-lady, I did how actually it is. Why people don't understand this?

Unread 08-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #21107
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahana Hime View Post
Thank you both for your responses, I would say now that I think of it, both are about equal...sewing is pricey depending on fabric cost and costumes that are bought can vary as well. For example, I spent 420$ on four costumes at once (so 105$ per costume) and I set rules for myself that I follow
1. Costume must be under a certain price (200$)
2. Costume must have something reusable i.e. shirt, pants, skirt ect (though I have made exceptions)
3. Costume must cover me (Belly bust and butt not showing)
I love buying my costumes mainly due to I tried to sew once....my project got stolen from me by my grandmother and then done WRONG.... so I planned to remake it...but then...got scared....
Recently it has come to my attention that I have to replace zippers on two of my costumes and I HAVE no clue how to do that...
To end my ramble, I will say again that they're both about equal but as I have previously stated in the past, weather you make or buy...at the end of the day we are all nerds in costumes
Pet Peeve: people who take my sewing projects then do them wrong... like its a kimono...its supposed to be overly long.... and another is Yuki Cross' 2nd ball gown...why are you so hard to draw -_- and i'm running out of paper....geh....
this post is brought to you by the letter A for anime and the number 8
It all really depends on the compromises and trade-offs a person wants to make. I would never say that sewing it yourself is automatically "cheap" - unless you're willing to make compromises to make it cheaper (which you can do when buying as well). My materials still cost $2-300 per costume on average, but I don't have to pay for labour - if I wanted the same materials I'd still have to pay for labour on top of them.

Buying can be cheaper or more economic when the costume is popular enough that it's semi/mass-produced and the seller has discounts on bulk fabric and such. Of course, a lot of the semi/mass-produced ones are hit-or-miss quality and not fantastic - but you do not have to spend time making them, so that can be a fair trade-off. Not everyone cares about having the most shiniest shiny and that's okay, there's no shame in having fun in a mass-produced costume if you're having fun, especially if it's the only costume you can get or justify purchasing.

And there are items that are mass-produced for general consumption that are cheaper to buy than to make - like plain t-shirts. I bought a bathrobe for my Arthur Dent costume for $20 shipped on eBay - that might not even cover the fabric to make it at consumer prices - and I'd still have to spend time to sew it. I'm buying boots for my current costume instead of making them or boot covers - because although they're not perfect, they're a lot cheaper and faster than doing so.

It can also help to try making small props and items that don't require a "work space" if money is an issue. Even if you don't have room for a sewing machine you might be able to make a small thing like a pendant, circlet, et cetera - that will easily knock off $20+ ! Another idea is thrift stores and the like - and it works especially well if you are open to modifying the garments you find - like adding a stripe or design or cutting off sleeves, et cetera.

It's funny, I really don't even enjoy sewing (when it comes to the sewing machine, I don't mind hand-sewing) - but it's something I do because I know I can't afford to pay someone else to do the same thing. I know I can't afford the quality of work I produce and to me spending time is something I'd rather do than compromise and pay someone to do a lesser quality of work. If someone else is happy to make that trade off, nothing against them. It just depends on what a person wants out of the hobby - and it's always important to remember that there was a time for all of us when we "couldn't sew a seam straight" or "didn't know how to install a zipper" or anything like that ! I think a lot of people feel pressure to have perfect costumes now that cosplay is becoming more well-know, but it shouldn't have to be that way and the only way to get better is by being not-so-good first.

PS - what happened to the zippers ? It should be a matter of taking a seam ripper to the thread holding them on and then buying a new zipper in the same size and following the fold-out instructions on the zipper package. If those are confusing (which they can be if you've never done it before) - YouTube and other tutorials are great !

I think a great thing about the internet is that you can learn to do so many things without having to go searching for a certain book or leaving the house !

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #21108
RedLotusKnight
Proud OC Cosplayer

Quote:
PS - what happened to the zippers ? It should be a matter of taking a seam ripper to the thread holding them on and then buying a new zipper in the same size and following the fold-out instructions on the zipper package. If those are confusing (which they can be if you've never done it before) - YouTube and other tutorials are great I think a great thing about the internet is that you can learn to do so many things without having to go searching for a certain book or leaving the house!

Okay so...the costumes are my Day Class and Night Class Girl's uniforms from Vampire Knight (the costumes I snagged for 420$ along with the male counterparts) So the problems are:
Day Class: Zipper teeth are missing at the top...so far its been fine just not zipping it all the way up...but i'm getting irritated with the minor detail of....(I have what my mom calls Cosplay OCD)
Night Class: Zipper zips up all the way.....but then comes open.... O////O
Currently in my plans for NEXT years cons (Yes I plan a year in advance...i'm a freak) I still need four dresses (all from Vampire Knight...can you tell i'm OBSESSED with this anime?) So now i'm sketching out a ball gown I want I have been having a hard time drawing the damn thing.... because of...the back -_-
Pet Peeve of the Day: Zippers and them doing weird things

Last edited by RedLotusKnight : 08-12-2013 at 06:44 AM.
RedLotusKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #21109
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

People who don't detangle wigs when after borrowing them. >_< I've given out a couple of my longer wigs for people to wear and each time, they come back to me tangled. I mean, I understand that long wigs do tangle up and stuff but can you at least run your fingers through it once or twice to get some of the kinks out?

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

Last edited by TMLiza : 08-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.
TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #21110
GuardianLioness

When garments come out too big.
I'm in the process of making a quilted vest, and since I have borderline measurements, I went a size up.

It's HUGE on me. Fortunately, it can be taken in, but that's yet another step I have to make time for. :/
In Progress
Riku - Kingdom Hearts 3D - 25% Sewing vest
Planned Cosplay:
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians - Planning stages
Hiccup - How To Train Your Dragon - Planning stages
GuardianLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #21111
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Okay so...the costumes are my Day Class and Night Class Girl's uniforms from Vampire Knight (the costumes I snagged for 420$ along with the male counterparts) So the problems are:
Day Class: Zipper teeth are missing at the top...so far its been fine just not zipping it all the way up...but i'm getting irritated with the minor detail of....(I have what my mom calls Cosplay OCD)
Night Class: Zipper zips up all the way.....but then comes open.... O////O
Currently in my plans for NEXT years cons (Yes I plan a year in advance...i'm a freak) I still need four dresses (all from Vampire Knight...can you tell i'm OBSESSED with this anime?) So now i'm sketching out a ball gown I want I have been having a hard time drawing the damn thing.... because of...the back -_-
Pet Peeve of the Day: Zippers and them doing weird things
It depends on how "perfect" you want the zippers to be. Some people have had luck replacing individual zipper teeth or putting something in their place. And if the other one is not missing teeth, you might just need to sew some thread thickly at the top of the zipper (like a loop) so that it can't just keep going !

I think I'd lean toward replacing the one with missing teeth and trying to fix the one that is otherwise okay and just needs something to stop it from running off.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #21112
ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
my project got stolen from me by my grandmother and then done WRONG....
I've had this problem before, actually. It was my mother and a pair of boots I was working on. Drove me crazy because I didn't have enough time before the convention to fix it up. I ended up having to go with other shoes for Drossel, so I was on high heels and flopping around the whole time. Had to get carried down some stairs at one point because I wasn't looking forward to falling down them again.

I guess it made me walk in a stilted, stiff fashion like a doll, anyway. xD

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren (Fire Emblem), Fox (RWBY)
Upgrading : Sheik (armor), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #21113
RedLotusKnight
Proud OC Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
I've had this problem before, actually. It was my mother and a pair of boots I was working on. Drove me crazy because I didn't have enough time before the convention to fix it up. I ended up having to go with other shoes for Drossel, so I was on high heels and flopping around the whole time. Had to get carried down some stairs at one point because I wasn't looking forward to falling down them again.

I guess it made me walk in a stilted, stiff fashion like a doll, anyway. xD
yeah...and then she bitched at me for getting the wrong lining...like i'm sorry if I can't tell the difference.... and then she said I suck at sewing and would never learn.....which made me lose all confidence in myself over sewing what so ever....
Quote:
It depends on how "perfect" you want the zippers to be. Some people have had luck replacing individual zipper teeth or putting something in their place. And if the other one is not missing teeth, you might just need to sew some thread thickly at the top of the zipper (like a loop) so that it can't just keep going !

I think I'd lean toward replacing the one with missing teeth and trying to fix the one that is otherwise okay and just needs something to stop it from running off.
Kelley: I think I wasn't clear enough and I apologize, what I mean is the zipper separates after I zip it up as in it stops where its supposed to but then when I bend down...or move the zipper that I zipped up comes open where its closed....does this make sense or should I clarify more?
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #21114
Kelley
Devil of Details

Yes, that is what I thought you meant. You can sew enough bulk to prevent it from doing that. If the words are not clear, there should be pictures or video!

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #21115
Shana05
Survivor

Companies putting out patterns perfect for your character after you've made it. McCall's put out a Merida pattern for Halloween this year. I so could have used it last year.

Anime Cental: SplashFree!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #21116
mmmeggg
I do as I please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryso View Post
I am getting so tired of the disgusting comments people make on facebook cosplay pages whenever a female is featured. The top comments are always "10/10 would bang" or "id rape her" and it makes me so angry I don't even have words for it. Wtf does sex have anything to do with how good a cosplay is?
THIS. I cosplay Rikku (FFX-2) in her Thief outfit, which, for those of you who don't know, consists of a bikini top, a super short skirt, sleeves, and a scarf. I've been lucky not to receive any disgusting misogynistic comments on the pictures cosplay photographers put up, but I've seen things like that happen and I constantly worry that that'll happen on one of my pictures and my friends and family will see me being degraded like that.
Friday: Battle Bunny Riven (League of Legends)
Saturday: Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Lady Two (Drakengard 3)
Monday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.

Formerly Clementine.
mmmeggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #21117
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

People who get all pissy about you being in their way because some aspect of your costume is a bit big. I was wearing a skirt that had a hoop skirt this Otakon. In the hallway a guy asked for my picture. As I was trying to back up against the wall to get OUT of the way, a girl smacked her lips and brushed in front of me quickly. I yelled out to her "sorry" twice. Really, just like on the road, you're not above anyone. I get that it's annoying when someone causes a back-up because they stop dead in the middle of the hall. Believe me, I do. I get angry. However throwing tantrum is ridiculous.

Unread 08-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #21118
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Companies putting out patterns perfect for your character after you've made it. McCall's put out a Merida pattern for Halloween this year. I so could have used it last year.
They've had that for about a month now. BTW McCall's patterns are 70c each at JoAnn's until Saturday. Just be sure the patterns you get are on sale. Aug 22-24 has Butterick patterns for $5 for 5.

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #21119
Shana05
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapthefatcat View Post
They've had that for about a month now. BTW McCall's patterns are 70c each at JoAnn's until Saturday. Just be sure the patterns you get are on sale. Aug 22-24 has Butterick patterns for $5 for 5.
I made a Merida cosplay a YEAR AGO. So this pattern doesn't help me now. That's why it's a pet peeve.

Anime Cental: SplashFree!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #21120
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I made a Merida cosplay a YEAR AGO. So this pattern doesn't help me now. That's why it's a pet peeve.
Well, if you need any other patterns, you know where to go! That sucks though. I gotta figure out what materials and patterns to make a Gi for Goku (Dragon Ball Z).

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote