Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 312 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 01-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #31
Princess_Hotaru
SKANDARCHY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaDragon76
My pet peeves are many but the one that tops the list are cosplayers who think that they are 'God's gift' to cosplay simply because they have gotten recognition for a costume or have won an award. Then they act like they are the authority on that particular costume or on cosplay in general and when they bother to give advice to anyone else, if they bother to at all, they do so with a snobbish air but without really giving help to the person who asked. That ticks me off to no end. They seem to have forgotten that they were once new to cosplay too.
I agree with this 100%. That is one of my top pet peeves, along with the more 'superior' cosplayers not getting along with us other cosplayers. It's really sad. :/
Princess_Hotaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #32
Fallen_Jenova
Just Another Abused Uke

This might have been said already... but I get real irked when someone dresses up as the same character as someone else (or you) and acts all better than the other for some reason.

Another thing that irks me is when a group of people (or two) randomly bust out into a fight for attention. Besides the fact that's dangerious... it hogs attention and makes moving around the halls impossable.

Persacon 2008:
Before Crisis and In Game Rufus Shinra~ Final Fantasy VII
Mello~ Death Note
Seras (yellow)~ Hellsing
Alexia Ashford~ Resident Evil Code Veronica
Reno~ Final Fantasy VII

Fallen_Jenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #33
Cora
Shine Forever

I'm glad I've never witnessed that - fighting in a convention, I mean @_@ I hope I never have to, but...eh.

I agree with everyone about respect and cosplay. Since most everyone does it for fun and as a hobby, people shouldn't expect that everyone who cosplays does it perfectly. People have different ranges of skills and should be recognized as such.

Anyhow, one thing that I don't particularly care for (and mind you this is just personal preference, I'm not trying to say that it's bottom-line bad) is when people combine two characters into one costume for a completely different character. An example was that I saw this girl and she looked like she was Yuna from FFX-2, but was missing a few key pieces to her costume. I didn't realize until later when I saw her posting pictures on another message board from that she was actually a combination of Yuna and Rikku. When I understood what she was going for the costume was pretty well put together, but my intial impression was that she had missed a few things. Her costume seemed incomplete to me until I realized what she'd been trying to do.

I also don't like it when people cosplay just to get attention.....
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #34
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Pretty much agree with what everyone says regarding commissions, respect, and other issues.

Another pet peeve of mine are cosplayers who are careless with their props. I know it's fun to pose with your prop and all that, but don't do it in a crowded hallway and be considerate where you put it when you sit in a panel or video room. Almost got hit on the head with Sailor Pluto's time key which was made from a metal shower curtain rod.

Cosplayers are obviously the most visible part of a con, especially to regular people. If you do something rude and obnoxious, regular people (including parents of younger cosplayers) will see all of otakudom in a negative way. Sometimes cosplayers forget that or have the "let's freak out the mundanes" mind set.
Unread 01-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #35
kero-chan

For the comment about people wearing random ears or tails when they arent cosplaying... i dont see why that could be bothersome, if i didnt cosplay at cons i could see wearing ears or something just for the heck of it. Cons are a place where you wont (we... shouldnt..) be judged or stared at for this, so why not? besides, its more interesting and fun than just NOT cosplaying at all ^_^

I'm gonna hafta agree with the whole skimpy outfit issue... although i do admire those people for having the self confidence to pull it off! i know i would never be able to make it out of my house without turning red and hiding in the bushes...
Unread 01-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #36
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

There are plenty of things that drive me nuts about cosplay, but one situation in particular weirds me out...

My big cosplay fandom is Get Backers. The two main characters, respectively, wear dark pants/white dress shirt with long tails/round purple sunglasses, and khaki shorts/white t-shirt/green vest with a bunch of pockets.

This is not far from normal street clothes, so frequently I see people who are wearing dark pants/white dress shirt/sunglasses at a con and go "...Is that Ban?" because they don't have any of the telltale details that would make me know they were Ban. The shirt doesn't have long tails, the sunglasses are neither round nor purple, they haven't made even a half-hearted attempt at the hair... And of course, the same thing goes for Ginji as well - someone wears khaki shorts, a white t-shirt, and a vest of some color or another without the pockets, and I find myself wondering if they're supposed to be Ginji.

And it's not like it makes me MAD to see people doing this, because I'm not really sure if they actually are cosplaying or not (and far be it from me to tell people they can't do ghetto cosplay if they are - it can be fun). It might be a guy wearing dark pants, a white dress shirt, and sunglasses because that's how he dresses. It just really confuses me. -_-
Unread 01-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #37
KuroHana
JE fangirl

Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine are cosplayers who are careless with their props. I know it's fun to pose with your prop and all that, but don't do it in a crowded hallway and be considerate where you put it when you sit in a panel or video room. Almost got hit on the head with Sailor Pluto's time key which was made from a metal shower curtain rod.
XD Ok I know I'm not even replying to the topic but in my first year of cosplay I made the mistake of carrying my hiraikotsu for sango around, at all times. and managed to almost knock a guy out..so i learn to keep big props in the room unless its a photoshoot. Ne way I hope this thread doesnt get closed because atleast people are able to have a little place to vent ;o.
KuroHana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #38
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Hmm...I think Saeto and AmazonMandy covered pretty much my own personal beliefs in peeves already...lol I'll put stuff in my own words though..This is probably going to come off as really harsh but I don't mean it to be. Heck,If I see anyone committing the things that personally annoy me it's not like I'm going to be rude to them or anything!

Well, let's see..Miyabi's list of things about cons/cosplay that annoy herIn no particular order)

1.) People that act uppity. You. Are. A. Geek. In. A. Costume. Like. The. Rest. Of. Us. Gurantee if you put someone in a elaborate costume next to someone in a less elaborate one, parade them down the street on a normal day they're BOTH gonna get whispered about equally. ^_^

2.) Lack of common sense/respect. And by this I mean the idiot kids who do stupid things like run down crowded halls with their arms flung straight out like an airplane. I swear to all that's holy and unholy if I"m almost clotheslined by ONE more Ed from "Cowboy Bebop"....Grrr!

3.) Sexy No Juutsu. Now before you all bite my head off....don't get me wrong..I've seen some really cute original sexy no juutsu costumes that I've loved to pieces but...well, I see it *mostly* as an excuse to dress in an overly revealing manner and try not to get flak for it. Plus only a few Naruto characters even HAVE a Sexy No Juutsu! Sexy no Juutsu Naruto: Cool! Sexy no Juutsu Sakura: Wha?O_o Unless it's a male-version Sakura it doesn't make sense.....

4.) Drama. "Omg! Did you hear so-and-so say this about so-and-so's costume?!" *gasp!* "No! Tell me more!" Unless you're one of the parties involved directly in a situation it's none of your business. Don't spread rumors and don't repeat them.

5.) Stalkers. Okay, I don't mind giving hugs and pictures at all! In fact I love talking to and meeting new people! But...don't follow me around and then pretend like you're not. It's scary! O_O

6.) No Touchie. If you want a hug..ask and you shall recieve! But please, do not hug me from behind, do not touch my costume without asking and above all do NOT glomp me. You will get unceremoniously dumped to the floor. I have a problem with glompers...a girl at Ohayo glomped my friend who has a bum ankle and nearly knocked her over! If I hadn't been standing right there to catch her....*sighs and shakes head*

7.) People getting flak for cosplaying "popular" characters. Who cares? If someone loves that character who are we to say they shouldn't cosplay it just because there happen to be a lot of other ones? I'm guilty of cosplaying a few popular characters but do I care? Nope! I love Inuyasha and Ed Elric and if I love them....I'm gonna cosplay them! ^_^
Hmm..that's all I can think of for right now..I'll probably end up adding more..lol

Last edited by Miyabi- : 01-27-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #39
Red Fang
Opressed By Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Miko
WIN.

*ehem* My cosplay pet peeves? The WalMart effect. Look, people, when you ask for a commission, keep in mind that things WILL be expensive. None of us (I hope) run factories in third-world countries that pay children minimum wage to sew your costumes or whatever. We're all doing this ourself, meaning that we have to hand-pick the supplies, materials, patterns, and whatever else is being needed. PLUS, we have to take time out of our schedule for your order. So again, don't expect things to be so cheap ^_~

>_> Yeeeeah.
Wouldn't be talking about me would we? I after doing some minor work myself and realizing how much work it is, do not even attempt to lowball people who do commision work, as I have absolutely no skill at sewing. I will try to get a good price though, but certainly not to the Walmart degree.

Anyone else agree with me?
Unread 01-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #40
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
My final contribution's gonna be a rant about unprofessional judges and masquerade directors.

When you follow masquerade politics, you see a lot of unprofessional behavior from masquerade directors and judges. While browsing "god-awful cosplay sites" (which I do not condone and think are stupid), I've been surprised to find masquerade directors I know at such places, mocking the costumes entrants who just competed in their costume contests. This kind of behavior just astounds me. As a cosplay director, I believe it should be your goal to set a good example and run a fair contest. The entrants are placing their trust in you and by mocking them, you betray that trust.

I have also had the unfortunate personal experience of working with judges who have brought very bad behavior to the judging table. I've sat next to judges who wanted to get drunk on vodka during the masquerade, had to deal with judges who exhibited blatant favoritism towards their friends when making their judging decisions. I've also had to work with a judge who only wanted to judge entrants who were pretty girls, and if they weren't pretty, he didn't give them the time of day.

Quite sad that there are such people out there (and hilarious that some of these charming individuals are often the most vocal about expressing the need to have fair and honorably run masquerades).
Wow...I'm amazed at the drinking thing! I was a masq judge earlier this year and I don't know how they'd even think they'd have *time* to drink! O_O
The con we judged at had a somewhat bad masq in terms of judges/staff the year before so we strove to be very fair and nice and so far we have yet to hear any negative feedback regarding the judges or their choices in awards given. ^_^ I was very proud to have been a part of that!

Ahhh the "bad cosplay" sites. I admit to being a member of them (gotta watch and see if they put me or my friends on there! ^_^) but I don't say much...and if I do... I usually complain on people's behavior on those. ^_^
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #41
silentspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonekoMiyabi
6.) No Touchie.
I am totally in on that. However, I very likely won't give out hugs to random people for any reason; I have a deep respect for one's personal space and those of others, and I hope that those who were courteous enough to ask for hugs were not offended if they were refused.

1.) For those of you who wear makeup...please realize that what rubs on will rub off. And no one desires the hassle of removing it.

2.) Glompers may cause embarrassment, especially if there is unwarranted photography, even if it's just for fun. If it's without permission, don't entertain yourselves at the cost of another's dignity.

Mind you, I'm not antisocial but there are cosplayers who may simply have a more reserved personality than others, but love the hobby all the same and don't want crazed glomps coming at them at 50mph. If I really admire someone's cosplay, I inquire for their picture.

Last edited by silentspace : 01-27-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Unread 01-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #42
Feral

I am peeved by those who call people in sexy costumes skanks
Unread 01-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #43
Rika Nakamura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral
I am peeved by those who call people in sexy costumes skanks
There's a big difference between sexy and skanky.

My pet peeve has probably already been mentioned. The signs, to me aren't that bad. And some of them are cute. Like the ninja with the "What ninja?" Sign.

But yeah, like mentioned earlier, the people who think they have the right to pick who should be able to cosplay and what not. Like 'Oh, you're not skinny enough to be so-and-so.

It's not really a big peeve of mine but yaoi fangirls. I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with yaoi, but whenever you're watching a skit you don't want to have someone behind you screaming 'yaoi~!' or ' Shove your tongue down his throat'. It gets old pretty quickly.
Unread 01-27-2006, 10:11 PM   #44
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Fang
Wouldn't be talking about me would we? I after doing some minor work myself and realizing how much work it is, do not even attempt to lowball people who do commision work, as I have absolutely no skill at sewing. I will try to get a good price though, but certainly not to the Walmart degree.

Anyone else agree with me?
Yeah, I wasn't reffering to you. I'm talking about the people who want you to do an all-out intricate wig order, and expect to pay $30. Your very reasonable
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 10:17 PM   #45
Red Fang
Opressed By Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Miko
Yeah, I wasn't reffering to you. I'm talking about the people who want you to do an all-out intricate wig order, and expect to pay $30. Your very reasonable

Ahhh. Excellent. I do try.

But to be back on topic: I find that my biggest pet peeve in cosplay is the habit of half-assing a costume. I don't think that you should have to look like the character(thought it certainly does help considerably) but it really irritates me when I look at a costume and can tell that not much work went into it. EG, a lack of attention to detail.