Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #4516
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Tikki- random question, but was that a big con that happened at? I know at Otakon the judging experiece is often limited to a once over of the reference material, and then a visual once over of the costumes themselves, or the props, etc..Bigger cons seem to be the ones in my opinion that are staffed with judges loathe to get up and inspect costumes.
Yes, I know it's a lot of people. Yes, not all of the costumes are going to be fantastic. But every entrant put some sort of effort into their costume, and would love for the judges to show interest.

And someone said something about "Award hogs" going to more cons; some people can only get to a few conventions a year (like me), and others can afford to go to five or six, or maybe even more, so if they enter every time, of course they'll get more experience and have more of a chance to win. They've expanded their odds to win by entering their costumes in more than one competition. I know I usually try to enter a hall contest and the Masquerade (with two different costumes), but that's my own personal preference.

It's funny that we're all in agreement over the Craftsmanship judges, because of course they can see the costume up close and see different things than the audience does. The real contention seems to actually be with the performance judges; after all, the audience and the Performance judges see the exact same thing unless there was some previous time where all the skits performed and were judged (which I doubt)

I have a peeve with people who think making friends with the judges will give them an advantage. If a Masq/Hall Contest Judge is a close friend of yours, they'll probably be even harder on you than they'd be on someone else, because they know what you're capable of.

...I wish I could help run a Masquerade/help judge one sometime soon, but I personally feel that I should be at least coming up on Craftsmanship level to accurately judge other folks. (I'm still lingering down here at novice, wah. ^.^)

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 06-05-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #4517
amazingfly

They should run mascarade judging like reality tv. Have the judges like 1 insults everyone one likes everyone then I donno(I dont watch much rality tv) but I think that would be more fun. They should also like record it and broadcast it on like a CCTV system all over the con. Err I guess that realy had nothing to do with the thread though...

METROCON 07(completed Inuyasha)
AFO 07 (inuyasha) not going again it sucked
Dragon Con(Inuyasha, couldn't finish my squall in time)
T-MODE 07 (Squall SeeD uniform)

up-coming conventions

Nekocon 07(Tien*FLEX*, not positive)

ALL my pictures are in myspace http://www.myspace.com/amazingfly

My friends
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=289599885
amazingfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #4518
pella_rose
Eito Ranger

my only petpeeve is that this year i attended my first convention and i was walking toward the photoshot, i over heard one of the girl in the photoshot who was dress as the same character as me (we where both the only sailor mercury) saying "back off I'm the real deal eventhough you have the blue hair" to her friend (she didnt have blue hair/wig, but i did).

I mean way to go to make someone feel welcome. I stood there and took a few pictures with the whole group and then left. Wasnt a good way to start the day.

So what if someone else is dress the same as you, the worse you can do is compliment about their costume and the way they protrait the character...if you cant do that, dont say anything at all.
Unread 06-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #4519
amazingfly

Yea, its kinda natural though. She automaticly considered you compitition and wanted hers to be better. Personally I don't realy have that reaction. I would ask how or why they did somthing different than me and see if I could improve or change it on mine later.

METROCON 07(completed Inuyasha)
AFO 07 (inuyasha) not going again it sucked
Dragon Con(Inuyasha, couldn't finish my squall in time)
T-MODE 07 (Squall SeeD uniform)

up-coming conventions

Nekocon 07(Tien*FLEX*, not positive)

ALL my pictures are in myspace http://www.myspace.com/amazingfly

My friends
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=289599885
amazingfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #4520
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

I completely understand the competitiveness there, but how can she be the "real deal" if your costume was more accurate/complete? Sound's like she was a little jealous and intimidated to me, and you shouldn't let her comment get to you knowing that.
Devi 1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #4521
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

@Tikki: I understand completely what you mean. I've been to lots of cons and seen lots of masquerades, and the ONLY time when I can honestly say that I did not agree with the judges' choices was the one con I keep mentioning where past winners were disqualified and the judge gave extra points to characters she liked better than others. Any other competition I've seen, the judges worked well with what they were presented with, and I would have made probably the exact same decisions they did in their situation with their competitors.

@Rurouni: Be glad you're still in novice! XD I got bumped up the ladder pretty fast, so now I've got to improve faster to make entering at Otakon next year worth the time and effort. =P

On a good year, I go to quite a few cons, but I never compete at all of them. At least not in the same costume. I honestly don't have the time to make 2-3 Journeyman/Master level costumes a year. And since my only existing costume has gotten her fair share, I'll have to wait another month or two before I have something else worth entering. Oh, yey, Otakon.

I'm hoping to become a judge soon at a con I go to every year. EVERY year, people complain about the judges, the judging itself, and the awards given out. Multiple awards have been handed out for pieces the costumers didn't make, and some awards are given out to a half finished skimpy costume over a fully-finished, well constructed one. And I can say that, looking at the galleries, there WERE, in fact, better constructed ones than the ones that were awarded.

At least, that's what I hope. =P
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #4522
Varnani
MY CABBAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi 1313 View Post
I completely understand the competitiveness there, but how can she be the "real deal" if your costume was more accurate/complete? Sound's like she was a little jealous and intimidated to me, and you shouldn't let her comment get to you knowing that.
I can't stand those people either- but the ones that really get me are the ones that think that they are the absolute best cosplayer of (insert character here) and that they must nitpick every other cosplayer that does that character.
Even if you are that character incarnate, some people cosplay a character that doesn't look like them, or they didn't do a great job on sewing it or whatever, that doesn't mean you should rip them to shreds. Some people cosplay...*gasp* for the fun of it. Some don't even care if they aren't accurate, as long as they are recognizable.
I'm not condoning lazy, sloppy cosplay, but honestly, if you're not having fun in your perfect down to the seam costume, and that "crappy" cosplayer is having bucketloads, then something is wrong.
Varnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #4523
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

You can't be the "real deal" when it comes to anime characters unless you are two-dimensional. When will people realize that they are just physically representing characters, and are not the characters themselves? Even if her excuse was "I'm being in character," that would be way off, because Mercury would never say that. If it's a case of craftsmanship, nobody's perfect, and considering that you cared enough about accuracy to get a blue wig, pella_rose, you at least one-upped her in that respect.

This reminds me of an experience I had at the March Toronto Anime Convention (MTAC) this year. My friend and I, both cosplaying, were crossing a hallway to take some photos against a blank wall. A fairly tall guy dressed as L from Death Note walks past, turns around and says quite loudly, "You do not disgrace the L!"

We hadn't even said a word to him. I said, "What?" and he responded with "I'M L." We stared at him as he walked away.

He had the nerve to approach me later while I was sitting with a group of friends and say "I'M L" yet again. "I know that," I replied with a hint of annoyance, in the hopes that my tone would deter him... but no, he had to get the last word: "AND I HAVE A DEATH NOTE NOW." "THAT'S WONDERFUL. GO AWAY," said I.

Why do all the otakin, weaboos and generic weirdos try to talk to me at conventions? D:
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #4524
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikki View Post
But I should have just dropped out after my experience with the judges, because only one judge actually looked at my costume or even made eye contact. I stood there with my reference images talking about my costume because they asked me absolutely NOTHING. Just silence as the other two found their fingernails and shoes extremely fascinating...
I had an experience like that at a con not that long ago. I think 2 out of the 6 judges actually looked at me, and of those 2 only one asked me about my costume. I think that peeved me more than losing (especially since the group that won rocked hardcore, it was impossible to be upset while looking at the, XD). If people have been given / taken on the role as a cosplay judge, then they should at least try and step up and do the job.

Upcoming Cosplays: Cassandra de Rolo (Critical Role) / Aveline Vallen (Dragon Age II) / Princess Allura (Voltron Legendary Defender / Cassandra Cillian (The Librarians) / Marian Hawke (Dragon Age 2) / Ursula (Kiki's Delivery Service)
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #4525
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

@Angathol: That guys sounds... Creepy. D=

I can't stand cosplayers who openly put others down at all. If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing. If you want to put them down, at least do it out of their earshot. If you want to be an ass, be an ass, but there's no sense in being rude and disrespectful to someone's face unless you're just the kind of jerk who enjoys hurting other people's feelings.

/rant

I don't like it when anyone claims to be the "Best____ ever". Maybe YOU think you're the best representation of X character ever, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you. There are differing opinions on what makes one costume better or more accurate than the other, and not enough cosplayers understand that.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #4526
Crazy Flower
C-Flo in the Hi-zouse!!

It's reactions like that which drive me to do costumes I've seen so few people do. There is a bit of competitiveness factor when you see a costume that you have done yourself. I can understand comparing and see what accessories were done differently, but to downright call out a person is wrong.

I think my current peeve is the underuse of interfacing. Many things work better with interfacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHawke78 View Post
C-Flo and her magical behind...
THE WORLD'S BEST SUPERPOWER!!!
Crazy Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #4527
Spookloops
We Broke It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audhulma View Post
I can't stand those people either- but the ones that really get me are the ones that think that they are the absolute best cosplayer of (insert character here) and that they must nitpick every other cosplayer that does that character.
Even if you are that character incarnate, some people cosplay a character that doesn't look like them, or they didn't do a great job on sewing it or whatever, that doesn't mean you should rip them to shreds. Some people cosplay...*gasp* for the fun of it. Some don't even care if they aren't accurate, as long as they are recognizable.
I'm not condoning lazy, sloppy cosplay, but honestly, if you're not having fun in your perfect down to the seam costume, and that "crappy" cosplayer is having bucketloads, then something is wrong.
I had an experience like this:
At a con earlier this year, I was wearing Sadako, and some guy walked all the way across the HUGE lobby area to come tell me how much better his cosplay of that character is (which he wasn't wearing at that time) and how much more in character he is, and how much more he can move like the character does. Me, being a nice person, didn't say much to him, just sort of brushed him off, but I've been to more cons since then. If he came up to me now? RAWR!!!! I'd tell him exactly what I'd think of him and what he can do with his #$@! cosplay. I'm a person in a costume. Life is too short to get one's panties in a knot about stuff like that, and it's pretty low-brow to go out of the way like that to knock someone's costume.

Ah well. I love that costume - the make up takes a while, but it's my lazy day costume, and some of the reactions I get with it are priceless. I hope to do more horror characters in the future - I've been practicing with stage make-up and gore for when those days arrive. J-horror costumes are a great counterbalance to the overflow of cuteness at most anime cons. (I'm seriously considering something from "Infection" as the next horror costume I do), but now I'm rambling. I'll shut up now and go back to topic.

PS, Send me your zombie dream. <3 <3 <3
Unread 06-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #4528
Varnani
MY CABBAGES

If you really wanted to light a fire under his butt, you could have mentioned that, as a boy, he could never be as accurate as you were...
(As for my zombie dream, I can barely remember it- but if you've ever played the game Dead Rising, I was in that same mall, some zombie in an orange shirt ran up to me, and I Shoryukened him. Then Strider Hiryu leapt down from the wall and helped me protect the uninfected from the zombies. XD)
Varnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #4529
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

I think I've been fortunate enough not to have encountered anyone with the gall to approach me and openly rip apart my costumes, or insult me within earshot. The worst I've gotten was having someone tell me that they didn't like my character (but we were already discussing the series I was cosplaying from, so it wasn't so bad) and a couple walking by and mentioning to one another that "There are sooo many Eds this year." Not that it was offensive, but it's kind of... lumping them all together and not giving a single one a chance.
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #4530
HanakoWings
Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post

I don't like it when anyone claims to be the "Best____ ever". Maybe YOU think you're the best representation of X character ever, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you. There are differing opinions on what makes one costume better or more accurate than the other, and not enough cosplayers understand that.[/color][/size][/b]
Amen to that. there is no way anyon can be the best at any cosplay, but you try you hardest. Being pretty damn good, I can tolelate, but the best? Not gonna happen. Too many factors in making the costume and wearing it apply so you can't be the best.
HanakoWings is offline   Reply With Quote