Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 383 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 08-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #5131
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

I think I just got stiffed out of $100 by a crooked commissioner, now i'm going to have some fun with this person

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #5132
masteva
Canadian Cid

Seems everyone has hit dead on about how I myself feel about signs. If someone makes a sign, it should be to compliment or enhence the cosplay slightly. Nothing huge like a sandwich board etc. I myself had pondered the idea of making one of those Wile E. Coyote word bubble signs with "Well $*!#" written on it for Cid just to keep the cussing to a minimum!

Anime North 2012
Mephisto Pheles - Ao no Exorcist
Fan Expo 2012
Garrett - Thief Series
masteva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #5133
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteva View Post
Seems everyone has hit dead on about how I myself feel about signs. If someone makes a sign, it should be to compliment or enhence the cosplay slightly. Nothing huge like a sandwich board etc. I myself had pondered the idea of making one of those Wile E. Coyote word bubble signs with "Well $*!#" written on it for Cid just to keep the cussing to a minimum!
That works since it fits his character and it's not some dumb "Free hugs!" signs or "I barf rainbows!"

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #5134
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalas View Post
At AniZona next year, I want to host a panel about how to put on a descent entry into a masquerade. But I don't know if people would think I'm qualified enough to do it. I've had 3 apprentceships with tailors/seamstresses, judged two cosplay competetions, competed in 2 masquerades (I've ment to do more, but I don't finish costumes as fast as I wish), and been in oddles of smaller competetions. I also have alot of stage and performance experience.
I've talked about it slightly on the forums, but I don't know. Alot of the usual competition is n00bish, and I just want to help them out. I've got notes from both the ICG and C.com in the panel, but I'm still wary. I know of a few people who doubt my skills as a cospalyer and let alone a judge, but I really want to help out the new competetors. ;_;
I understand that... though I'm on the other end of the spectrum. What I face is that I DON'T do uber-complicated costumes and I stopped competing for a few years until just recently. But I started back in '97 and I've seen a lot of major growth and evolving competition over the years, and not only by competing. I've judged and staffed for years at a handful of Virginia events. But I stopped making costumes for a while and just staffed during my break, so I get the feel of "Who are you?!" from a lot of new cosplayers. *chuckles*
But I've got a friend who wants to do a Presentation panel at Nekocon this fall and we'd discussed doing one that uses footage of past skits. I've jumped on board with the responsibility of discussing the ins and outs of competitions as a way to introduce stage skills and all that. Hopefully it'll work out! We're going to use footage of our own skits and try to get permission (and maybe participation) from one other cosplayer so no one can accuse us of being rude, cause it's our own stuff we'll be nitpicking in front of an audience. And I have plenty of old crappy costume parts from before I learned to sew properly as examples for the craftsmanship section. Visuals always work better than just talking.
I think what I'll try to do is make a portfolio of sorts of my competition costumes, as a back-up in case anyone actually asks me about my own background. I think the skit footage will speak for itself (we've got some crazy complicated ones picked out), but it never fails to be prepared. You should think about that yourself, maybe? Have a portfolio with you of your best costumes? Then just throw in a mini resume of your work experiences that involve costuming. Present yourself as professionally as possible and you'll be taken much more seriously.
Tikki
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #5135
cold kittn
Your own personal stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperhead535 View Post
Kitten: omfg I feel your pain! I can imagine someone doing a crossplay and they have the congoers fooled that they are a guy and then they say out of the blue "Wait - I have to go change my pad!" XD
lmao...as soon as I read that imagery came to my head of this situation...I can't stop laughing....
cold kittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:32 AM   #5136
Spookloops
We Broke It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperhead535 View Post
That works since it fits his character and it's not some dumb .... "I barf rainbows!"
I think only the King of All Cosmos should be entitled to that sign.

I'm peeved when I want quality sewing time because I figured out how to do some complicated thing that keeps bugging me, but daily life keeps pestering me, or stuff happens so that I can't sew, and my brain is going crazy from not knowing if I've figured out that difficult step or not!

Why can't I be left alone so I can sew??
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:44 AM   #5137
Javakat343
Lazy Cosplayer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippingSith View Post
Saeto hit the nail on the head.

However, my supremely major cosplayer peeve is those who bash people's cosplay without knowing the story behind it. A large majority of my costumes get thrown together in a week or so, because I have the attention span of an ant, and I'm sorry if I can't afford fifteen yards of bridal satin to make wedding Yuna. It was a 2-day project, involved taking apart Christine Daae and another costume, using what I had already invested in with the several yards of leftover fabric, and sewing it by hand (actually out of spite for my ex, who dumped me before the con.) It's pretty the way it is (and has since been machine stitched and significantly improved), and I have other things, like school and a new laptop to worry about purchasing before I buy yards and yards of expensive fabric. Sometimes we just have to make do with a limited budget; most of my things were made for under 50$, simply because I don't have the money to blow on a crazy detailed costume.

/rant.

And I second the closet-cosplay fanfiction characters. Unless you make some investments, like a wig, makeup, altering clothing to be more like your character, walking up to me at a con in jeans and a t-shirt with "I <3 Anime" on it and claiming you're so-and-so character from chapter nine million of an ff.net story doesn't work for me.

I understand that people have time and money constraints but it's my personal pet peeve when people Rush cosplays. I want to see that the person has enough respect for the character that they can do it well even with limitations. By the way I love the bridal Yuna Idea! I was thinking about it...maybe later

I wanna be a monster! They get all the attention!
Javakat343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:47 AM   #5138
Javakat343
Lazy Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by !*Jessi-Chan*! View Post
i like this thread.

my pet peeve would have to be those people that view cosplay as nothing but a competition...always comparing people's costumes in and out of the actual masquerades and craftsmenship...and those whose sole purpose is 'to be the best'. It's not like any of us are getting paid for this...it's a hobby. And i personally don't think that because someones costume didn't cost 200+ that it should be looked at as ugly or stupid or compared to someone elses costume PERIOD

also hate the fact that ethinicity is still a big debate and people want cosplayers to look like the character. I am african-american so it hits deeply when my friends and i work hard on costumes only to be overlooked.
Ya I had it stuck in my head for a long time that I coulden't cosplay Yourichi from Bleach because my skin wasn't dark enough but I realised its largely caucasians who cosplay what are supposed to be asians, so why care about racial limitations? Fight the power!

I wanna be a monster! They get all the attention!
Javakat343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 02:05 AM   #5139
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

New peeve -____-
Myself, or more accurately, the way I look in costume (or maybe it's just photos...*ponders*). For some reason I end up looking like a chibi version of every character I cosplay. I'd like to look like a human in cosplay for once instead of something that jumpped out of a piece of badly drawn fanart, thanks. I never look like that in normal clothes, but no matter what kind of costume it is or what style the clothing is, I always look like a CHIBI!
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 02:23 AM   #5140
Dal_Segno
Who loves, raves.

Aw, thank you Tiki for the advise. =D

I think I'm just going to for-go the panel for now, and just type up a thread on the convention forums, and hope people see it! I have alot of experience, but I still don't feel I have enough to put together a portfolio quite yet. >.<

Assassin: "Where are you going?"
Tealīc: "I am leaving. You are about to explode."

~~~~

FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ
Icon by: Silfar

Last edited by Dal_Segno : 08-10-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Dal_Segno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #5141
Usuratonkachi
Enjoy your spaghetti.

I hate it when friends steal cosplaying ideas when they KNOW you were gonna do it.

I also hate pretending that it's ok for them to do so.
Usuratonkachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #5142
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuratonkachi View Post
I hate it when friends steal cosplaying ideas when they KNOW you were gonna do it.

I also hate pretending that it's ok for them to do so.
Why wouldn't it be ok for someone to cosplay any character they wish? Wanting to cosplay a certain character yourself doesn't give you say over what other people are allowed to cosplay.

If you want to do Character X, and a friend wants to do Character X too, you can go together and have a good time and a great photo op! It doesn't have to be a competition between you.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #5143
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Current Peeve: I hate it when people try to answer a question but really have no idea what they're talking about, or their experience is so limited that they don't really answer the question. <<

I'd rather someone tell me to tailor it to myself AFTER they've said whether or not a circle skirt works. That was ALL I wanted to know - if a frigging circle skirt was worth attempting.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #5144
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipa View Post
Why wouldn't it be ok for someone to cosplay any character they wish? Wanting to cosplay a certain character yourself doesn't give you say over what other people are allowed to cosplay.

If you want to do Character X, and a friend wants to do Character X too, you can go together and have a good time and a great photo op! It doesn't have to be a competition between you.
Welcome back (again) Taipa! We welcome the return of your avatars.

I agree with this sentiment. Since when is it so wrong to cosplay the same thing as someone else? The only competition in cosplay is on the masquerade stage, and that's supposed to be a friendly one at that. All of this "stealing ideas" nonsense is ridiculous.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #5145
Malicious

maybe Usuratonkachi meant that this "friend" only chose to do the same cosplay after Usura had mentioned it.