Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #5131
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuratonkachi View Post
I hate it when friends steal cosplaying ideas when they KNOW you were gonna do it.

I also hate pretending that it's ok for them to do so.
Why wouldn't it be ok for someone to cosplay any character they wish? Wanting to cosplay a certain character yourself doesn't give you say over what other people are allowed to cosplay.

If you want to do Character X, and a friend wants to do Character X too, you can go together and have a good time and a great photo op! It doesn't have to be a competition between you.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #5132
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Current Peeve: I hate it when people try to answer a question but really have no idea what they're talking about, or their experience is so limited that they don't really answer the question. <<

I'd rather someone tell me to tailor it to myself AFTER they've said whether or not a circle skirt works. That was ALL I wanted to know - if a frigging circle skirt was worth attempting.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #5133
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipa View Post
Why wouldn't it be ok for someone to cosplay any character they wish? Wanting to cosplay a certain character yourself doesn't give you say over what other people are allowed to cosplay.

If you want to do Character X, and a friend wants to do Character X too, you can go together and have a good time and a great photo op! It doesn't have to be a competition between you.
Welcome back (again) Taipa! We welcome the return of your avatars.

I agree with this sentiment. Since when is it so wrong to cosplay the same thing as someone else? The only competition in cosplay is on the masquerade stage, and that's supposed to be a friendly one at that. All of this "stealing ideas" nonsense is ridiculous.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #5134
Malicious

maybe Usuratonkachi meant that this "friend" only chose to do the same cosplay after Usura had mentioned it.
Unread 08-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #5135
Dal_Segno
Who loves, raves.

I understand both sides of the story. I myself have had my eyes on two costumes that people I know either have done or plan on it. I kinda feel like I would "copy" them by doing it. ;_; If I asked them, they'd probably be like, hey it's ok, but I know they very well may feel I'm copying them.

But luckly for me, one of the outfits has an awesome alternate version, and the other I'm just going to do a different character I like.

Assassin: "Where are you going?"
Tealīc: "I am leaving. You are about to explode."

~~~~

FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ
Icon by: Silfar

Dal_Segno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2007, 02:24 AM   #5136
Vash_Fanatic
Sewious Bwuisness!

I see it's been said many times, but my main pet peeve about cosplay is that the people who spend so much money making their costume brag that it is better than the ones who spent less to make theirs. There are cheaper ways to make a costume and make it look awesome. So braggy people, keep your egos to yourselves and let us enjoy. The dollar does not matter, what matters is how much fun you had making and wearing the costume. That's what makes a good costume.

Costume Log
Secret Tunnel<--Avatar: The Last Airbender Nomads
Commissions! PM me!
Tutorials and Moar Here! :3 Facebook? Add me
Vash_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #5137
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash_Fanatic View Post
I see it's been said many times, but my main pet peeve about cosplay is that the people who spend so much money making their costume brag that it is better than the ones who spent less to make theirs. There are cheaper ways to make a costume and make it look awesome. So braggy people, keep your egos to yourselves and let us enjoy. The dollar does not matter, what matters is how much fun you had making and wearing the costume. That's what makes a good costume.

I have to agree with this. I swear other than the wig I MIGHT have spent 20 on my Dagger costume?

I'm cheap!

Finished:
Azula (Season 3, Avatar the Last Airbender)
Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon Stars)

Remaking:
Asami (Season 3, Legend of Korra)

Working on:
Mulan (Mulan)
Princess Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)
Wonder Woman (Justice League Unlimited)
Power Ranger Villain OC
Huntress (Justice League Unlimited)
White Phoenix of the Crown (X Men)

Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #5138
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

*nods* Most of my costumes are under $50, aside from the wig. Most of the time the wig cost more than the rest of it.

I was unemployed for many years - I never got over my tendancy to buy only what was necessary, and even with the stuff that was necessary, wait for it to go on sale. I think I'm more proud when I can make a costume that people are amazed by and tell them that it "only cost this much", rather than making a costume people are amazed by and saying that I'd spent sooooo much money on it.

I mean, I'm not going to skimp on materials and use broadcloth instead of brocade or something. Hahah. But if I can engineer a way to use one yard of that brocade instead of two yards and still have the costume look the same in the end, or make boot covers from good-looking suedecloth instead of shelling out a hundred dollars for real suede boots? You bet.
Unread 08-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #5139
Dal_Segno
Who loves, raves.

My current pet peev: n00bs. They ask for help on whole costumes, but don't even have reference pictures, let alone started the costume. They just say "h3lp m3" and expect us to type up whole toturials on how to do the costumes. =/

Assassin: "Where are you going?"
Tealīc: "I am leaving. You are about to explode."

~~~~

FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ
Icon by: Silfar

Dal_Segno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #5140
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radleia View Post
I have to agree with this. I swear other than the wig I MIGHT have spent 20 on my Dagger costume?

I'm cheap!
And your Dagger costume is cute! Also it fits you great - I've seen a Dagger costume were it was so tight it excentuated her "natural female crevaces"

Also my KH2 Aeris costume costed me $30 to make. I think it turned out decent.

Last edited by zipperhead535 : 08-11-2007 at 11:21 PM. Reason: adding more text
zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #5141
Raviekins
Metal ♥ Heart

Current Peeve: Lycra. I have three cosplays made of it, and don't get me wrong, I love it to bits, but frig... Even with my employee discount at Fabricland, the stuff is a dang fortune! D:

Altogether my costume came to just over $200 CDN. What the heck? I've never spent that much on cosplay!

I will be at...
Anime North
Colossalcon
Dragon*Con
Raviekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #5142
AlphaNinn
I am me?

A cost peeve.

Bias tape. Sure, one pack is, give or take a few cents, 2.00...but when you end up buying...oh... 15+ packs for one outfit, it really adds up.

That goes for fancy trims in general too. You're trim! Small! So why must you cost more than the fabric I'm using?
Unread 08-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #5143
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaNinn View Post
A cost peeve.

Bias tape. Sure, one pack is, give or take a few cents, 2.00...but when you end up buying...oh... 15+ packs for one outfit, it really adds up.

That goes for fancy trims in general too. You're trim! Small! So why must you cost more than the fabric I'm using?

Oh, geez. I'm wanting to do Esther from Trinity Blood one day, and one of the lace trims I want to use is THREE TIMES the cost of the fabric. ._. $24 is too much to pay for friggin lace, when I still have to dye it all the right color. T.T
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #5144
Elycium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaNinn View Post
ugh,I know! I bought lace for my Clara costume and it came out to roughly $30, when my fabric had only cost me $10 (I had cupons, would have cost me $20 normal). Its insane.

Pet peeve of the day: dye. Or rather, no one having the colour I need. All of a sudden all of the royal blue is missing? from every craft store in my area? Y_Y wth?

Upcoming Cosplays: Cassandra de Rolo (Critical Role) / Aveline Vallen (Dragon Age II) / Princess Allura (Voltron Legendary Defender / Cassandra Cillian (The Librarians) / Marian Hawke (Dragon Age 2) / Ursula (Kiki's Delivery Service)
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #5145
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Peeve:
School took all my money. And my job gives me no hours and only pays bi-weekly. LKAJSLKJ.
Ah well. I should start accepting commissions soon, which might help a little. A little, being the key term, as I don't expect to make much off of commissioning. Ah well, gives me time to lavish on my current costumes (both of which are characters I adore).
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote