Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 402 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 08-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #5251
Jerseymilk
FangirlHunterExtrodinaire

I have to agree with Danzikumaru and Angathol here. It would make sense if Jack Sparrow was already an existing character from a book or even a long running play and the film was based on that, but he's not. And in this case it's even moreso Depp's because he had a lot of influence in the way the final result came about. Johnny Depp=Jack Sparrow. There's no way to logically seperate that. No logic at all. You may not like to face that or accept it, but there it is.
Blood Elf Mage- WoW

Last edited by Jerseymilk : 08-20-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Jerseymilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #5252
CherryBomb
Here to devour your moon

Yup! I agree. If you really think about it, it makes no sense. You can't say you like a character better when it's merely being imitated by another fan(sometimes poorly). You can, however say you find sithcamero to be better looking than Johnny Depp as a person, or that you simply like his real life personality over his, but you can't say he is a better representation of a character that he is simply copying. Like Jerseymilk said, Jack didn't exist in any other form of book or story until the POTC movies, so nobody but the original can be the best.
It's sort of like making a xerox copy of the Mona Lisa and saying you think the copy is better than the original painting.

Oh, and by the way, I have nothing against sithcamero, just in case anybody assumes I do. :P ..shoot..I'd still glomp him. j/k I don't do that.
CherryBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #5253
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Or I could simply be saying I like anyone who cosplays Jack Sparrow who isn't Johnny Depp.

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #5254
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

I'm going to have to jump on the band wagon here, I completely disagree with you, zipperhead.

I have to admit that I do not like Crispin Freeman as a voice actor, but you know what? I could honestly not think of anyone better for his roles as, say, Alex Rowe from Last Exile or Regal from Tales of Symphonia. Freeman brought the English versions of Alex Rowe and Regal to life, and despite the fact that I do not like him as a VA, I still do not believe the roles could have been better cast.

I personally don't care for Johnny Depp either, but I do not believe that the original portrayal of a character via film could ever be done "better" by a knockoff.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #5255
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

This is getting rediculous guys. I don't like Johnny Depp. I love all Jack Sparrows that aren't JD. Thats my opinion it won't ever be changed. If you dont like it get over it - and now lets get on topic now.

Unread 08-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #5256
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

So... you basically like anyone wearing a Jack Sparrow costume and acting like a flamingly silly pirate, just as long as it's not the person who came up with the whole idea. (He even helped pick out parts for his costume, i.e. the hat, and many of the accessories already belonged to him.)

Oooookay. You could just say you like pirate cosplayers...
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:22 AM   #5257
Lil_Neko-Chan
The Random Camera Ninja!

Alright...

So, I hate gun holsters. There are too many different kinds for my poor small mind to comprehend!!!! AGH! I just need a small soft one that can hold a P226 airsoft gun!!!! Why is that so hard to find?!?!

Sometimes, a hug is all that we need http://youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
Lil_Neko-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:23 AM   #5258
crazymiko
Fiberglass Impaired

...anyway. My new pet peeve is: myself. Nothing is more annoying that redoing a costume for the second time only to realize that you haven't updated a piece of it so it's still made of newbie suck ><

Lack of references for a more general addition. My laptop went in to get fixed and like a idiot I totally forgot to get my reference images, a lot of which I can't remember where I even got them. Some things are such a pain to find pictures of if they even exist.
crazymiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:30 AM   #5259
Kyasaren
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymiko View Post
...anyway. My new pet peeve is: myself. Nothing is more annoying that redoing a costume for the second time only to realize that you haven't updated a piece of it so it's still made of newbie suck ><

Lack of references for a more general addition. My laptop went in to get fixed and like a idiot I totally forgot to get my reference images, a lot of which I can't remember where I even got them. Some things are such a pain to find pictures of if they even exist.
That's why I use Photobucket. It's free, holds unlimited pictures, even has a search engine to look through other user's public albums to find what you need, much more useful then googling images.
Photobucket will keep all your images on their site, it's very safe.
Kyasaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:32 AM   #5260
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Old pet peeve gone! Got a job interview call today!

Unread 08-21-2007, 03:38 AM   #5261
HanakoWings
Bah

Zipper, Love, I understand perfectly what you mean. Depp and Sparrow are two different people. That's why it's called acting.

New pet peeve: people who take things like what zipper said too seriously that they span it 20 pages in cosplay threads. One reply is ok, I'll even take two, but after a while, you start to notice how people will try to force their opinion on you.

2nd New pet peeve: Hellraiser cosplayers. Half assed ones. I get that it can be hard to look like a character from that series, and God forbid you actually get the piercings(please don't!!), but try a little hard!!!! Those characters have too much detail and gore going for them!
HanakoWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #5262
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanakoWings View Post
Zipper, Love, I understand perfectly what you mean. Depp and Sparrow are two different people. That's why it's called acting.
Jack Sparrow is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER. Johnny Depp is a REAL PERSON. Johhny Depp created the way Jack Sparrow moves, talks, and behaves. I have NEVER seen someone cosplay Jack Sparrow who didn't do the hand-waving, effeminate pirate bit. I'm not completely disagreeing with Zipper--I can even sympathize with not caring for Johnny Depp--but to claim someone does a better Jack Sparrow than Depp when they solely utilize the mannerisms and gestures Depp came up with is silly. If the cosplayer in question played Depp off as butch, then I'd be impressed.

I will agree that speculation of her reasoning is equally as silly, though. She already explained that she's just biased against Depp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #5263
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Peeve:
People who make unnesscarily shiny costumes.
Let me explain. I like Avatar: The Last Airbender. The show is set in a time where the shiniest apparel fabric was a natural silk. Furthermore, the main characters are ALWAYS traveling, so they would wear, more likely than not, clothing that was made of cotton, or a twill-like fabric. And any and all armor is probably a reinforced leather, if not partly metal.

....so why in the world do I keep seeing Toph Bei Fong cosplayers use shiny SATIN for their costume?

Maybe it's just me, being an accuracy nazi but...if it doesn't make sense for the character to wear that fabric, why make the costume out of that?
(You'll also have to forgive me; I'm a history nut, and I know the people who do the show put a LOT of effort into replicating the historical Asian things they put in the show.)

Certain designs, however, I will excuse. (Amano designs) But if a character is always traveling/fighting, they're not going to wear satin. NO. Especially not if they're fighting in sailor fuku.

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 08-21-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #5264
Mireillechan
Goodbye Baby

Over use of shiny fabrics like satin on a Inuyasha costume, Sailor Moon costume, a schoolgirl outfit(from any anime/series), Bleach costume, and things of the like.

Also I seriously dislike half-assed costumes like if you're gonna cosplay as Kefka from Final Fantasy VI. Don't show up to a convention wearing red pants and a strip of green fabric hanging around your shoulders and pretending you're him. Another, is when there are half-assed school uniforms from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, the skirts are usually half-assed b/c no one wants to do the awkward pleats on them and people don't wear the knee high socks like how Haruhi is supposed to.
Costumes:
Vocaloid - Gumi (Camellia) - 100%
Fairy Tail - Wendy(Edolas) - 100%
Fairy Tail - Leo the Lion - 10%
Fairy Tail - Natsu(???) - 0%
Mireillechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #5265
toxic_candy

My only pet peeves are the people who think that their better than everyone else just because their costume looks more like a character than some one else's not everyone has a lot of money to invest in costumes to make them insanely elaborate.

Another is the people who decide to attack other peoples costumes littlerly attack i had part of my Kahla Outfit ripped off by some raging fan girl not cool...

And my last is the people who go to con and smell ungodly please i beg you people showerrrr
Ritsuka: Even your life?
Soubi: I will fight for your sake, so don't be afraid of anything.
toxic_candy is offline   Reply With Quote