Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #5251
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanakoWings View Post
Zipper, Love, I understand perfectly what you mean. Depp and Sparrow are two different people. That's why it's called acting.
Jack Sparrow is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER. Johnny Depp is a REAL PERSON. Johhny Depp created the way Jack Sparrow moves, talks, and behaves. I have NEVER seen someone cosplay Jack Sparrow who didn't do the hand-waving, effeminate pirate bit. I'm not completely disagreeing with Zipper--I can even sympathize with not caring for Johnny Depp--but to claim someone does a better Jack Sparrow than Depp when they solely utilize the mannerisms and gestures Depp came up with is silly. If the cosplayer in question played Depp off as butch, then I'd be impressed.

I will agree that speculation of her reasoning is equally as silly, though. She already explained that she's just biased against Depp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #5252
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Peeve:
People who make unnesscarily shiny costumes.
Let me explain. I like Avatar: The Last Airbender. The show is set in a time where the shiniest apparel fabric was a natural silk. Furthermore, the main characters are ALWAYS traveling, so they would wear, more likely than not, clothing that was made of cotton, or a twill-like fabric. And any and all armor is probably a reinforced leather, if not partly metal.

....so why in the world do I keep seeing Toph Bei Fong cosplayers use shiny SATIN for their costume?

Maybe it's just me, being an accuracy nazi but...if it doesn't make sense for the character to wear that fabric, why make the costume out of that?
(You'll also have to forgive me; I'm a history nut, and I know the people who do the show put a LOT of effort into replicating the historical Asian things they put in the show.)

Certain designs, however, I will excuse. (Amano designs) But if a character is always traveling/fighting, they're not going to wear satin. NO. Especially not if they're fighting in sailor fuku.

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 08-21-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #5253
Mireillechan
Goodbye Baby

Over use of shiny fabrics like satin on a Inuyasha costume, Sailor Moon costume, a schoolgirl outfit(from any anime/series), Bleach costume, and things of the like.

Also I seriously dislike half-assed costumes like if you're gonna cosplay as Kefka from Final Fantasy VI. Don't show up to a convention wearing red pants and a strip of green fabric hanging around your shoulders and pretending you're him. Another, is when there are half-assed school uniforms from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, the skirts are usually half-assed b/c no one wants to do the awkward pleats on them and people don't wear the knee high socks like how Haruhi is supposed to.
Costumes:
Vocaloid - Gumi (Camellia) - 100%
Fairy Tail - Wendy(Edolas) - 100%
Fairy Tail - Leo the Lion - 10%
Fairy Tail - Natsu(???) - 0%
Mireillechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #5254
toxic_candy

My only pet peeves are the people who think that their better than everyone else just because their costume looks more like a character than some one else's not everyone has a lot of money to invest in costumes to make them insanely elaborate.

Another is the people who decide to attack other peoples costumes littlerly attack i had part of my Kahla Outfit ripped off by some raging fan girl not cool...

And my last is the people who go to con and smell ungodly please i beg you people showerrrr
Ritsuka: Even your life?
Soubi: I will fight for your sake, so don't be afraid of anything.
toxic_candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #5255
caisse
the sugoi princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box View Post
^.^ Because for her, she's only just thinking about doing it. She's already said she'd rather do something more stylized than the character first...though I'd love to see her cosplay this character's mother; she'd be absolutely gorgeous as that character's mother.

Besides, it's not like I was going around going, "I'm going to do x variant of Y character at Z con", so she really wouldn't have known otherwise.
Yeah, very true. Haha. You two would look good as mom and child, I'm sure! :3

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #5256
Lucifer

My personal pet peeve regarding cosplay: Being talked down to in regards to your own costumes, usually by people who can't sew a straight line.

I had a 'friend' once tell me a costume I wanted to do was 'simple and basic', to which I had to ask if we were looking at the same costume at all. I even had an confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #5257
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
I even had an confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).
Wtf. Either they were doing it for the lulz or just being ignorant /m/orons.

Only Featherweight can make cardboard Gundams look good. :/
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #5258
LizardMandy

Quote:
I even had an confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).
What...the HELL? None of them are up on my photo gallery yet (gotta debut them first) but I'd have to say that I've done some pretty damn good-looking props and armored costumes, all by myself, and I'm a girl.

GRR! Sorry, I'm not technically a raging feminist but...well I'm an IT major, I deal with a male-dominated environment every day at school and spend most of my time proving I can measure up to them...guess that touched a nerve. ><;;

So my peeve? I'd say sexism at cons...most obviously the need for people to hit on me regardless of what costume I'm wearing. Covered neck to toe in a crossplay that admittedly doesn't make me look masculine, but does minimize any curves or indication that I'm female, and still I have guys throwing lines at me. *sighs*

I never have to deal with that sort of attention in my everyday life, why is it the boys at conventions feel the need to try out their bad pickup lines on me at conventions?
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #5259
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

PEEVE - Men who think they can stalk you or do whatever they want to you because you are dressed as their favorite character.

I tell you men, This Aeris is going to be carrying a TASER and MACE! I've been groped, tackled, had my braid ripped out, pulled around, tickled, cornered, and stalked while i was cosplaying as Aeris!

I hate how men's manners dissapear when they step through the con doors. I don't like it - it feels like they target me because my speaking english sucks XD

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #5260
makotohanabi
Chuu?

zipperhead535: if anyone does that to you, tell the first staffer/hotel employee you see and have that jerk ejected from the con. Tasers and/or mace are probably against the con rules and would only get you in trouble.

current peeve is humidity. Have props that are still drying after 2+ hours. Then I have to wait 2-3 hours after it's dried to put on the sealer.
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #5261
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotohanabi View Post
zipperhead535: if anyone does that to you, tell the first staffer/hotel employee you see and have that jerk ejected from the con. Tasers and/or mace are probably against the con rules and would only get you in trouble.

current peeve is humidity. Have props that are still drying after 2+ hours. Then I have to wait 2-3 hours after it's dried to put on the sealer.
But the thing is those suckers run away after they do it - and then I cannot find them again. :/

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #5262
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

Quote:
I had a 'friend' once tell me a costume I wanted to do was 'simple and basic', to which I had to ask if we were looking at the same costume at all. I even had a confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).
And you smacked both of them upside the head, right? People who insult people out of ignorance is one thing, but insulting someone based on sexism or elitism is just wrong. But then again, those people shouldn't even merit your attention...they're just envious or oblivious.

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #5263
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Ugh. I HATE when the mediocre cardboard Gundam cosplayers insult well-sewn, embroidered, painted or otherwise not armor costumes. Being able to make a cardboard Gundam does not make you better than someone who is able to make a fully-lined, fully hemmed and finished Rose of Versailles gown.

People like that really irk me. On the other hand, being able to make said RoV gown does not make you better or worse than a well-made Gundam.

Different people have different strengths. One may be able to pull off a Gundam but can't sew to save their life, and the one who can sew like the most professional seamstress may not be able to style a wig better than a blind three-year-old. I've seen it. Not being able to do one thing isn't going to make you better or worse than any other cosplayer. We all have our weaknesses.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:37 AM   #5264
Moon_Fish

The pachaging some of these really expensive rinestones come in is crazy. I just spilled half the box after hacking away at the plastic cover. All this just to make sure noone steals little pieces of glass. -__-;
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #5265
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lily View Post
And you smacked both of them upside the head, right? People who insult people out of ignorance is one thing, but insulting someone based on sexism or elitism is just wrong. But then again, those people shouldn't even merit your attention...they're just envious or oblivious.
Yeah, unfortunately one can't change another's tune, even if reality shows otherwise. The Gundam (and his friends) even stated during a previous con that they lost because the judges were girls (myself being one of those judges), so I had a joyous time in line with them on that second go round (ironically, myself taking home BOS in -that- contest).

I just think people should show more respect to all forms of sewing. From a Trinity Blood costume with insane detailing, to someone who makes a costume that most would have just bought instead (i.e. suits, jackets, etc).

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote