Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #5296
Spookloops
We Broke It.

This isn't a peeve really, but a thought:

I'm still a novice at costuming. Sewing seems to something I'm decent at, but I have a long way to go before I'd consider myself no longer a novice - until then I just keep practice on costumes or sewing new clothes for myself. I sometimes post pictures of something I'm working on or having trouble with in my gallery and ask if it seems I'm doing something right, or more importantly, how can I make it better? Or did something work out really well? X people then view the picture, but no one offers any advice or criticism. I take criticism really really well, so long as someone explains the hows and whys - I'd like to know if something is craptacular and how to improve. Of those X people that viewed the photo, I'm sure at least one of them could offer something constructive - not a treatise, but just a sentence or something.

Not a peeve, just a wish since I want to better myself. I find a lot of users' costumes inspiring, and hope to get there some day. If I see a really great costume, I ask technical questions and that's been helping a lot. I'd just like more feedback than browsers in my own galleries, but that's probably a wish common to many many people on here.

Unread 08-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #5297
*Kai*
Giga-what?

Dear Work,

I hate you. You are keeping me from working on my costumes. Oh yea, and tell your friend "Bills" to go you know what themselves. >.< I hate you too.

Thanks,

Kat

Current Con(s) for 2013:
  • Animate Miami
  • Megacon
  • Florida Supercon
  • MetroCon
  • Dragon*Con
  • Chibi-Pa

*Kai* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #5298
Arienette
...should be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
To be fair, I do always kind of wonder about people if they come onto cosplay.com, a site about cosplay, and then act all high-and-mighty like they're some kind of cosplay god... yet they have no pictures at all in their galleries.

Actually, being cosplay.com, I'm always a little baffled at people who have no pictures at all in their galleries, unless they're just starting out. But that's not nearly as weird as the ones who claim to be long-time cosplayers with MAD SKILLZ, and absolutely no evidence of these alleged "skillz".
Well, I don't really have a lot of pictures because a) I don't have a camera, aside from my crappy phone camera, so I have to borrow my sister's if I want to take pictures, and b) my parents don't really want pictures of me online. Those are my two barriers to putting up pictures. ;_; I might make an appeal to my parents soon by pointing out that there are pictures of me online anyway because of photographers who put con pictures up online, though.

I do want to try to start putting up more in-progress pictures/pictures of things without me necessarily in the picture. : P

It being cosplay.com, I wish I could put pictures up, but for now I'm just sticking to the give and receive advice bit. I don't claim to have MAD SKILLZ or anything, but I do try to help people out... which is why I do think I maybe should put at least a couple pictures of things I've made out so people don't think I'm just suggesting something I've never tried, or parroting back what I've heard somewhere else.

ALA '08 -
Sasori - 0% (planning) | Lavi - 80% (repairs)
Naminé - 100% | Misa (backup) - 100%

Later for '08
Nino - Fire Emblem | Lenna Charlotte Tycoon - FFV
Daenerys Targaryen - A Song of Ice and Fire | More?
Arienette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #5299
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

I agree fully about the people who feel the need to put down other cosplayers without putting up any of their own pictures. It's happened to me three times.

My costumes pretty much suck. I know they do. I've only been cosplaying for about a year and a half so I'm still a n00b, and I'm ok with that since I'm getting better. But if you're going to tell me I suck, then at least show me your costumes as well. So if you want to put down my work; show me yours, too, or shut the hell up.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #5300
Moon_Fish

Thats BS I've made several costumes but I still don't have any pics. So what? I honestly might not want to put pics up or maybe I don't have a good camera. Just because someone 'doesn't have pics' doesn't mean they are bad cosplayers or anything like that.
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #5301
allthatsgeek
MINE.

I agree with freezer, plus I'll add, Don't need to be a chef to know when food tastes bad.

I'm just too lazy to put pictures up.
AnimatedPoison: One for each weeaboo who has died at his hands.
Yeah, that's how I roll
allthatsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #5302
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
Thats BS I've made several costumes but I still don't have any pics. So what? I honestly might not want to put pics up or maybe I don't have a good camera. Just because someone 'doesn't have pics' doesn't mean they are bad cosplayers or anything like that.
Of course. Just because someone doesn't want to/can't post pics up doesn't mean they're a bad cosplayer.

But when someone pm's a cosplayer just to tell them how bad that persons costumes are and how totally awesome their own are without any pictures to back themselves up, it's not only annoying, it's completely BS.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #5303
Moon_Fish

True I have to agree with that.
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #5304
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatsgeek View Post
Don't need to be a chef to know when food tastes bad.
QFT. You don't have to cosplay to see what needs to be fixed on a costume. If you're getting critiqued and you don't like it, politely request that the person with whom you are talking refrain from critiquing the costume. Demanding that they show you their cosplay is an immature and borderline irrelevant way of defending yourself that proves you are insecure about your own cosplay abilities.

Another thing that peeves me is when very scantily-clad cosplayers complain about the attention they get. I know what people do sometimes isn't right, but for God's sake, if you wear a skirt that your average person would sooner wear as a belt, you're going to get some skeezy stuff. Don't complain about how people hit on you when your entire outfit put together is still smaller than a handkerchief. If you really dislike that kind of attention, you probably wouldn't be wearing that. If you like the character, I'm sure there are plenty of other characters that don't have such revealing outfits, and select one of them next time instead.
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #5305
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
I am intrigued. Please elaborate on this. XD
Aphrodite A was the very FIRST female robot character in anime history, from the pivotal series Mazinger Z. *wide grin* She was created for a female pilot, hence the scientists gave her a female robot, with missiles in her chest. Initially, she only had the two and then she was completely useless. Eventually the scientists figured out how to dimensionally compact more in there for reloading and the missiles were always three times as long as her body was wide so watching them fire was rather ridiculous.

Well, here's a shot of me putting back an unintential misfire... http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=687922
My first robot: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=687891
My second robot: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=687929
Steph in her awesome GaoGaiGar: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=689722

Here's a group shot of our classic giant robot group from many years back. I've got my Aphrodite A (with da mammary missiles), Gino in my Boss Borot, Rob in the Geta we made together, and Steph with her husband in their Daburatsu & Garada costumes. Yep, another chick in a mech! She's the one with two heads... http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=687918

And here's the Starscream I thought kicked ass! http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=235358

So whoever was dealing with the cardboard mecha dipwads, pass along those photos if you feel like it. And rub it in, as all those costumes were award winning... And even more, my robots were all SEWN. *feeling cheeky*
Tikki
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g

Last edited by Tikki : 08-22-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #5306
ShowMeTheMoney
Where's Mokona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumiyo View Post
QFT. You don't have to cosplay to see what needs to be fixed on a costume. If you're getting critiqued and you don't like it, politely request that the person with whom you are talking refrain from critiquing the costume. Demanding that they show you their cosplay is an immature and borderline irrelevant way of defending yourself that proves you are insecure about your own cosplay abilities.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and "h4h4h4, j00 suxx0rz & I 4m t3h aw3s0m3n3ss!!!"
Most people would probably agree that constructive criticism is just fine. You can tell someone that something is wrong without insulting them. And I'm pretty sure that's what everyone means. That and people who claim to be the amazing cosplayers and act like thy're better than everyone else without even letting people see the costumes.
I once had somebody AIM me to tell me that my costume "was the most terrible thing they'd ever seen" and that they did "an amazing job" and that I was "an embarassment to people who cosplay that character." When I asked how I could make it better they "lol'd" and continued to insult me. Turns out that that person didn't have any pictures of their so called amazing Sayoran costume anyways. That wasn't even critique--- That was just downright bashing the guy who'se only ever made one costume and has little to no experience.
ShowMeTheMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #5307
LizardMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Whatever. I picked one of the most humiliating pictures I have to be my avatar to get all that out of the way anyway.

Back to topic.
Why does your avatar disturbingly remind me of my hapkido instructor that's never too careful about keeping the front of his uniform shut...? o.O; I think if I ever saw him in quite that position I'd be a little bit scarred though, lol.

But oddly I DO like your avatar, it's awesome! XD There's something just...neat about it, lol.
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 01:42 AM   #5308
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookloops View Post
This isn't a peeve really, but a thought:

I'm still a novice at costuming. Sewing seems to something I'm decent at, but I have a long way to go before I'd consider myself no longer a novice - until then I just keep practice on costumes or sewing new clothes for myself. I sometimes post pictures of something I'm working on or having trouble with in my gallery and ask if it seems I'm doing something right, or more importantly, how can I make it better? Or did something work out really well? X people then view the picture, but no one offers any advice or criticism. I take criticism really really well, so long as someone explains the hows and whys - I'd like to know if something is craptacular and how to improve. Of those X people that viewed the photo, I'm sure at least one of them could offer something constructive - not a treatise, but just a sentence or something.

Not a peeve, just a wish since I want to better myself. I find a lot of users' costumes inspiring, and hope to get there some day. If I see a really great costume, I ask technical questions and that's been helping a lot. I'd just like more feedback than browsers in my own galleries, but that's probably a wish common to many many people on here.

Have you tried maybe posting in the critique forums? Usually people are more than willing to offer advice there.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 01:47 AM   #5309
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Okay, this really bugs me, not just on say, this site, but other sites as well.

When people post their pictures up their cosplay photos, or photos of gatherings, on their myspace.com but not here.

Hello? You have to have a myspace.com account to see them! I am not going to create a myspace.com account just to go see your photos. I mean, you have all this free space on your cosplay.com account, but you won't use it?
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #5310
Usuratonkachi
Enjoy your spaghetti.

I hate being a perfectionist...when it comes to sewing..I stayed up all night fixing things and hand sewing lace trimming.
Usuratonkachi is offline   Reply With Quote