Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #5296
LizardMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Whatever. I picked one of the most humiliating pictures I have to be my avatar to get all that out of the way anyway.

Back to topic.
Why does your avatar disturbingly remind me of my hapkido instructor that's never too careful about keeping the front of his uniform shut...? o.O; I think if I ever saw him in quite that position I'd be a little bit scarred though, lol.

But oddly I DO like your avatar, it's awesome! XD There's something just...neat about it, lol.
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2007, 01:42 AM   #5297
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookloops View Post
This isn't a peeve really, but a thought:

I'm still a novice at costuming. Sewing seems to something I'm decent at, but I have a long way to go before I'd consider myself no longer a novice - until then I just keep practice on costumes or sewing new clothes for myself. I sometimes post pictures of something I'm working on or having trouble with in my gallery and ask if it seems I'm doing something right, or more importantly, how can I make it better? Or did something work out really well? X people then view the picture, but no one offers any advice or criticism. I take criticism really really well, so long as someone explains the hows and whys - I'd like to know if something is craptacular and how to improve. Of those X people that viewed the photo, I'm sure at least one of them could offer something constructive - not a treatise, but just a sentence or something.

Not a peeve, just a wish since I want to better myself. I find a lot of users' costumes inspiring, and hope to get there some day. If I see a really great costume, I ask technical questions and that's been helping a lot. I'd just like more feedback than browsers in my own galleries, but that's probably a wish common to many many people on here.

Have you tried maybe posting in the critique forums? Usually people are more than willing to offer advice there.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 01:47 AM   #5298
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Okay, this really bugs me, not just on say, this site, but other sites as well.

When people post their pictures up their cosplay photos, or photos of gatherings, on their myspace.com but not here.

Hello? You have to have a myspace.com account to see them! I am not going to create a myspace.com account just to go see your photos. I mean, you have all this free space on your cosplay.com account, but you won't use it?
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #5299
Usuratonkachi
Enjoy your spaghetti.

I hate being a perfectionist...when it comes to sewing..I stayed up all night fixing things and hand sewing lace trimming.
Usuratonkachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #5300
Moon_Fish

one thing that kinda bothers me are all of these kids at anime cons that try to dress goth or whatever and end up looking tacky especially when they are wearing REAL dog collars and leashes.
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #5301
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
one thing that kinda bothers me are all of these kids at anime cons that try to dress goth or whatever and end up looking tacky especially when they are wearing REAL dog collars and leashes.
Haha. I know exactly what you mean.

Now, I've got nothing against buying a costume or commissioning a costume...

But when I see a ton of kids wearing the dealers' room bought cosplays... I STILL SEE FOLD LINES! They've already put next to no effort into their cosplay, could they not at least iron it to keep it from looking ridiculous?
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #5302
cold kittn
Your own personal stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
I hate it when kids dress "goth" only at anime conventions....I've known a few kids that do that....and that urks me to no end...and on top of that it's done VERY badly....well...make-up wise it is...I know it's fun to play dress up and stuff...but c'mon..if your going to dress a certain fashion do it correctly at least.

Another thing that urks me are those F&*$#%!@ cat girls.....zomg...I think I'm going to stop there...lol. But yea...those who ruin cosplays by adding cat ear, collar, and tail thinking that it's cute and it really isn't.
cold kittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #5303
idiots-inc
Dismember

I just hate it when people take credit for costume that they didn't even make. It's terrible, especially if they enter in a competition claiming to have made it. It's not right, and incredibly unfair for others.
idiots-inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #5304
Spookloops
We Broke It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post

Have you tried maybe posting in the critique forums? Usually people are more than willing to offer advice there.
I've thought about it, but I work on a lot of stuff, so I'm nervous about being a "thread hog". That's why I try to keep it to my gallery since it's my own allotted area.

RE: the people that dress "Goth" - I dressed that way before Hot Topic was even conceived, back when your wardrobe has hand-made, thrifted, or dyed. You were lucky to find stuff in a store off the rack that worked. These people walking around in pre-packaged dime a dozen garments from Hot Topic and considering themselve "Goth" really piss me off because they look just like any one of any other Hot Topic customer - where's the individuality?? I have the same complaint about "Punk" too. My uncle was at the forefront of the punk movement, so that was a huge influence in my childhood, while the goth influence was from my mom, so all these posers really make my blood boil. There's real goths and punks out there, but they're few and far in between.
( /rant )

Sorry, strong feelings on that topic. So, um yeah, posers at cons annoy me, but I really appreciate the occasional "real" types that you sometimes see at cons.

Another cosplay/con peeve: you attend a panel or ask someone about something you are not familiar with (music, anime, manga, whatever) because it seems like something you might enjoy and the person looks at you and goes "PSHT!", and not even gives you the time of day for not knowing to begin with. If someone asks me about something they aren't familiar with, I'm thrilled to share. I'm not sure why some people look down on others that don't know the same things they do but seem to want to know more. That sentence seems awkward, so I hope it makes sense.
Unread 08-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #5305
LizardMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookloops View Post
RE: the people that dress "Goth" - I dressed that way before Hot Topic was even conceived, back when your wardrobe has hand-made, thrifted, or dyed. You were lucky to find stuff in a store off the rack that worked. These people walking around in pre-packaged dime a dozen garments from Hot Topic and considering themselve "Goth" really piss me off because they look just like any one of any other Hot Topic customer - where's the individuality?? I have the same complaint about "Punk" too. My uncle was at the forefront of the punk movement, so that was a huge influence in my childhood, while the goth influence was from my mom, so all these posers really make my blood boil. There's real goths and punks out there, but they're few and far in between.
( /rant )
That seems just a little bit harsh. A lot of those people probably just dress that way because they like to, I'm not convinced all of them are "trying to be goth."

I'm not trying to attack you Spookloops, because I agree with you on one point. I, too, think that the "goths" and "rebellious unique individuals" who think they are being themselves by buying all their clothes at hot topic and wearing all black are very, very silly indeed. If you like the style, by all means wear it, but it's silly to assert so firmly that you are an individual when really, you're just conforming to a different standard. (Why is it so bad to them to conform to ANYTHING? Seriously, it's OKAY if you honestly like to dress like a bunch of people do, you're not a bad person for having the same tastes as the majority.)

However...

At a convention I once dressed as a rogue from Ragnarok Online. Not a lot of people recognized it, but what they did see was a girl in black, a collar, fishnets, and piercings (fake piercings, lol go me). I got a lot of people calling me a poser when I was just in costume. Even at home once, I wore a black shirt with matching boots to school ONE time and people jumped on me calling me a poser and saying I was trying to be gothic, when I just felt like wearing black that day.

So from the other side of the spectrum, I see it at conventions a lot and at home as well, my peeve is people acting like I don't have the right to wear black because I'm "not goth."
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #5306
sam vimes
A real live wire

What people choose to wear at cons doesn't bother me. They're at a CONVENTION, for Pete's sake! Attitudes and behaviors are what bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #5307
Spookloops
We Broke It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMandy View Post
That seems just a little bit harsh.
Very likely - I think I'm getting crankier as I get older.
"These 'ere young whippersnappers - RAWR!"
Unread 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #5308
crazymiko
Fiberglass Impaired

>< Coming home from the fabric store only to realize you forgot to buy thread. Bought buttons, fabric, no thread for the top stitching. Argh, it was on the way home from work and everything. ;.; Into the car again I suppose since I want to at least put Schrodinger's pockets on the shirt tonight.
crazymiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #5309
Moon_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymiko View Post
>< Coming home from the fabric store only to realize you forgot to buy thread. Bought buttons, fabric, no thread for the top stitching. Argh, it was on the way home from work and everything. ;.; Into the car again I suppose since I want to at least put Schrodinger's pockets on the shirt tonight.
I've done that! XD I bought some wierd colored fabric once, drove all the way home and had drive all the way back again because i forgot thread to go with it.
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #5310
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Peeve: PRINTER.

Mine will not print out these reference pictures I need. And I'm hoping to pick up stuff for Zuko like..TOMORROW. Would love to be able to shop for the stuff I need with images as reference.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote