Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 405 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:27 PM   #46
Fory-san
**Worship the plushie!**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
I'm bothered more by the negative social aspects of cosplay than how people choose to construct their outfits. It is very frustrating to have to deal with cosplayers...
Wow...I was going to post the exact same thing in one sentence but you nailed everything right on the head. :::claps::: Good job!

Support the industry...Buy Anime!

Little children, you belong to God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.-1 John 4:4
Fory-san is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #47
Strawberry2005
Never say good-bye.

I've only been to one convention so far, but I saw my fair share of it and God it pissed me off: people who show no courtesy whatsoever and just charge through the crowd like a one-man (or woman) herd of stampeding wildebeest. CALM DOWN. @_@ And stop running over people!
Toshiya [Dir en grey] *Two costumes--not telling until I wear them. ;D*

2007 Anime Conventions
July 6-8, 2007 // AnimeNEXT
July 20-22, 2007 // Otakon

If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space.
Strawberry2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #48
Fory-san
**Worship the plushie!**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry2005
I've only been to one convention so far, but I saw my fair share of it and God it pissed me off: people who show no courtesy whatsoever and just charge through the crowd like a one-man (or woman) herd of stampeding wildebeest. CALM DOWN. @_@ And stop running over people!
This is another thing that kind of bothers me a bit about the fandom is that there seems to be a real lack of respect anymore as younger people get involved in it. I've almost been knocked into a wall because of some zooming fangirl. Heck, that's how my sandals at Otakon got torn. lol ^^;

Support the industry...Buy Anime!

Little children, you belong to God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.-1 John 4:4
Fory-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:41 PM   #49
Rifa
Cosplay-aholic

My biggest pet peeve?

People complaining at conventions.

A girl I know came with my friends to my last con, she had a wonderful cosplay that her mother did and everything but she wouldn't stop complaining at all. She complained about her sandles becasue she put staples in them and wouldn't listen to anyone's adive as to how to fix that problem, got mad when some fangirls wanted a picture of her boyfriend, continued to be angry that her picture wasn't taken enough... etc. I couldn't stand her at all. If you are going to a con BE HAPPY. HAVE FUN. You complain and bitch you bring other people down with you.

On that same note, I can't stand cosplayers who seem to hate what they are doing. They complain when someone asks for a glomp, put down people who like their costumes... never smile, don't pose for photos, and just have a huge dark cloud around their head the whole time. If you hate it so much and you are so annoyed that there are fans of your character why did you come?! ><;

Rozalin - Disgaea 2
Female Hero - Soul Nomad
Odette - Swan Princess
Flonne - Disgaea
Rifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #50
Crazy Flower
C-Flo in the Hi-zouse!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoti
Over use of satin...
And tinsel wigs......Why do those even exist?!?
Pardon my newness, but what's wrong with satin? Or even satin-like polyester? Maybe I'm just playing people who has "shiny costumes"
Crazy Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #51
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Flower
Pardon my newness, but what's wrong with satin? Or even satin-like polyester? Maybe I'm just playing people who has "shiny costumes"
Satin is okay in moderation, but you shouldn't suffer from loss of sight when you accidentally stumble upon a Sailor Senshi gathering *shudder*
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #52
Malicious

well people should be able to make costumes from whatever fabric they can afford. i like sailor scouts with satin outfits... makes the costume look more elegant
Malicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #53
silentspace

Rifa: I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else for that matter. I'm polite about it at cons, but I'm referring to those few who either won't take no for an answer or don't take the other person into consideration.

Apologies for any miscommunication :]
Unread 01-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #54
Sasutard
Roxas, Riku, Axel, Demyx~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
I also think that the amount of trash-talk is a consequence of the age group involved in cosplay. A lot of these people haven't grown up yet and behave like they are still in high school.

While I'm not saying that the 50-60 year old costumers who attend sci-fi and fantasy cons walk on water, the environment that I've encountered with the older age group is much different. 95% of the older costumers I have met or talked to are competitive, while remaining polite and friendly to each other. They go all out to make the best costumes that they can, but remain encouraging towards one another, and take pride in each other's work and in exchanging construction techniques.

A huge contrast to some of the nastiness that takes place backstage at a cosplay masquerade.
Aw, that sounds so horrible D; I mean-- the talking bad about other people at cosplays. This will be my first year, but I get upset really easily when I'm or someone else am being harassed or talked about in bad ways. Jeez, I hope I won't have to deal with anything like that for my first time cosplaying. D:
>> Tifa Lockheart//ACVII
>> Undecided

Roxas > Sora
Sasutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #55
Rifa
Cosplay-aholic

Silentspace: No offence! I understood completely what you were saying and I agree, I have met many cosplayers who don't like having personal sapce invaded and I have been the vitcim of the surpise and clearly unwanted glomp, being chased with a large hat is not fun @_@

I meant more along the lines of groaning and complaining when asked or just being rude about it. It happened recently with a cosplayer who had a flawless cosplay of one of my favourite characters and when I asked if I could give her a hug she groaned and walked away. A simple, 'No sorry, I don't do hugs' would've been fine. Instead I felt like I was a pain.

No worries, sorry if you thought that was aimed at you n.n;

Rozalin - Disgaea 2
Female Hero - Soul Nomad
Odette - Swan Princess
Flonne - Disgaea
Rifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #56
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

The evils of satin:

~Wrinkles easily.
~Can result in making a costume look "Halloween-quality" if it is not nicely fitted, draped, properly hemmed, etc.
~Results in a picture being ONE GIANT LENS FLARE. I've seen beautiful costumes made of baroque satin (the evil among evil satins), and since I was using a cheap disposable camera, when the picture was developed, I could see half the costume, and the other was a giant ball of blue.

Satin is good in moderation (make the collar and skirt out of satin, not the whole darn Sailor Moon costume), and is even better if you invest in CASA SATIN, not the cheap baroque quality, and then dollar/yard quality crap at Wal-Mart (which generally has nifty unique fabrics, so don't even try to think I'm bashing it). Casa retains the elegant look of satin, but isn't super shiny.

Forgot that satin is one of my larger pet peeves. Along with unbrushed wigs. They DO respond to brushes and don't have to look like they were just pulled out of their original packaging.
SkippingSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 12:25 AM   #57
Rem Akimichi
Webcomiker & Costumer

My cosplay petpeevs are really almost all related to fabric types or treatment.

For example, I hate:
* When costumes are wonderfully made, but out of the worst materials possible. Please, please, PLEASE never do an awesome costume out of nothing but satin! I will cry!

* Finding the perfect color for a character in a horrible fabric. I.E. The fabric I have to make my Edo coat out of because the color is winz, but the fabric is crap *sighs*

* When people with wonderful cosplay outfits don't bother to iron out the fold creases made from packing them for cons before the con. I've seen too many beautiful outfits just ruined by the obvious presence of folding-caused creases. It makes me so sad. Its not too hard to bring an iron to the hotel! Even if you have to make the desk a makeshift ironing board, its still not hard.

They have served me well.
Rem Akimichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 02:38 AM   #58
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogglegirl
I think there should be a con with no cosplay contest...lIke have a Masqurade but don't have any awards. See how many cosplayers show up for that.
There is one - Ushicon, and it's actually going on this weekend. Truth to be told (and I'm not being elitist or whatever other name you might want to call it here), the *worst* costumes I have ever seen have been at Ushicon. I firmly believe that a judged competition gives people something to strive for, and therefore they push to make their costumes the best they can. However, with no judging or awards, I think a lot of people go "Oh, pfft. Why bother?" and put little to no effort into their creation.

What bothers me muchly is when people take fairly constructive criticism and make it out to be a flame against them. Ok, so *what* if someone said "it needs more fitting", or "____ fabric would be more suitable / this fabric choice looks cheap", or "your armor is lumpy, try sanding". Jeesus, by the way some people react you'd think you had kicked their dog and called their mom a whore. Not everyone who says such things deserves a long string of explicatives and deragatory names. :\ Unless the comment is obviously meant in a harsh manner ("You're fat!" ,"You're ugly!", "Your costume sucks!", etc), the person on the other end is just sharing their OPINION (note that I said opinion, not fact) or trying to offer up advice. I'm going to school for costuming, and I know I would still be making some pretty shotty stuff if it wasn't for the advice from others.

{ I N L U M I N O }

Last edited by Space Invader : 01-28-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #59
Evolution

Pet Peeves: Ever-Fluctuating prices of Fabric...
Over-Working, the night before con...
Spray Adhesive that isn't a Stick-All after all...
Unread 01-28-2006, 03:37 AM   #60
natsukoarts
wanker? yes, please...

hmm, lets see...

500 mph running yaoi fan girl glomp attacks from behind on the arse and hard, with yaoi paddle - OUCH! I could frackin' kill them dead with one paintball shot with sanzo's banishing gun! (come back here so I can kick you in the head, fan girl!)

non-warning glomps....

idiots, people who can't walk in a straight line, parking, starvation, stupid people, the weapon's policy (cause then I can't bring sanzo's shoureji to the con and pretend to shoot people) and well...

holier than thou masquerade wankers
i dont do masquerade, masquerade = drama, drama = boring, next.

but i respect those who do, and also elegantly constructed costumes, since i sew by hand so of course the construction is sometimes a little off...

and i hate ironing, so i always respect anyone who irons...
aUSA sanzo. trowa. jessie (poke-crack). ghetto-suzu. yuki.
natsukoarts is offline   Reply With Quote