Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #6016
Kyasaren
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoshy View Post
One more Peeve then i'm done: When people say a name wrong, and clame to be in the fandom. I had this girl, who was cosplay Sasori, come over to me and say 'oh, your from Nar-ROO-doe to?" "..Err..yes...but it's Nar-Ru-Toe.' " Thats how the Japanese say it^x^" "O_o...Oh kay.." " I like your Ah-cat-suk-eh jacket!" "..It's ak-" "Thats how the Japanses say it!"

No, it's not. -_-...
I know!! I saw this youtube video where this guy was interviewing a cosplayer who was waiting for her friends, he asked her what she was cosplaying and she said "ritsuka" as "retz ZU ka" with a pause between retz and ZU. He kept asking her over and over because he couldn't figure out what she was, then he went: " OH loveless!! "
Kyasaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #6017
demifiend
Anonkira be praised...

I would gladly cosplay a character from a series I knew nothing about provided I thought that the costume looked cool. In fact, I'm trying to figure something out for next AX since my others are so simple.
Unread 10-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #6018
Chiefy
Model Magic Queen

Its alright in some cases but I would think if your wearing the costume you would know who you are. Thats just weird not to. I remember a girl entered a costume contest and I had to remind her who her character was and from what series ^^;;;
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:03 AM   #6019
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

A good example of people not knowing a damn thing about the characters but still cosplaying from the series was the early boom of Trinity Blood costumes. (we are talking PRE-anime/translations available in english) Several of the cosplayers who did the costumes knew little about the characters aside from their name. Does that make their costumes any less valid? Does that make their work any less stunning?
Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:09 AM   #6020
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catzilerella View Post
I'm just going to add a little something, cuz I'm planning on doing a girl version of a Guile from Streetfighter.
Mainly because a freind of mine will be doing a streetfighter cospay of dhalsim and would of liked for me to do a streetfighter as well. Well Chun-li is the only girl that I'd like to cosplay. I thought about doing CAmmi, but time is not something we have much of. So I just decided to do a girl version of Guile. Because I can just buy everything i need and it wont take much time to put together. It's not gona be a miniskirt, although I did think about some short army shorts....
I did buy a pair of shorts, but they are long army shorts and a tank top, It's not quite the one I want to use, but I can't seem to find a good green muscle tee. (still looking)
I also had a hard time finding a wig I can use, and styiling a wig is not my forte. I ended up buying one that has a blonde mowhak instead. So yea.. it won't be regonizable (probably). but I liked this idea and I'm gona go with it.

I agree that there are a bit of skimply girl versions of male charactors, but it doesn't bother me.
People's costumes or the way they choose to costume generally don't bother me. and I think it's quite silly to be bothered even in the least bit.
For me I'm more bothered by people that are bothered by other people just tyring to have fun.
There are alot of excelent points that have already been made,
Queen Anime 99 I agree with you, and your george lucas/richard simons analogy = lol Great.
Female Guile has appeared in games. Midnight Bliss attacks in both SVC Chaos and Capcom Fighting Jam. So you really aren't taking a liberty Capcom themselves hasn't already done.
Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:15 AM   #6021
AnimatedPoison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiInuBaka View Post
ah i'm guilty...;;;

It happened with my Anise Tatlin cosplay... i had no idea what Tales of the Abyss was, but I knew about other Tales games. I only decided to do Anise because some of my friends were.

I guess it does kinda make me angry when someone cosplays as a character and they dont even know a single thing about them.

So... are you angry with yourself?
AnimatedPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:27 AM   #6022
Mekou
Meow~

Okay, so there been this debate ever since I can remember. Character Personality vs Character Design. Some people think it's stupid to cosplay a character without knowing anything about him/her or the game/show they are from. And other are more relaxed, feeling that a love of a design is more than enough reason to cospay someone.

Myself, I am quite relaxed on the subject. I see nothing wrong with either choice, so long as you're not doing it purely for attention and popularity. If there's a costume I absolutely love I will make it, regardless of what I know or don't know of the character. It's not that hard to find out a characters name and the basics of their personality.

I can understand the so-called elistist (because usually that's what these people get called. =/) point of view. You shouldn't jump onto a cosplay when you have almost no good reference images. A few tiny screencaps show you nothing, and you shouldn't build a costume around that. Wait until there are better images if you can't wait until the game/show is released.

However, when a game/show has already been released then I see no problem with people cosplaying from it if they haven't played/watched it. The internet is good resource if you know where to look. If you put effort into it, you can find the elusive back-shots of outfits.

I find this discussion is more prominent with game cosplays more than anything. "You shouldn't cosplay so-and-so because you haven't played it and you don't know whether you like the character or not/you haven't played it so you don't know all the details." I think this arguement is silly.

So some, they cosplay for the love of the character. For others it's about the love for the design. If someone cosplays as a jerk character without knowing he/she is a jerk, so what? I think that people should at least do some research on the character prior to strutting around the con. You know, just so they know how to pose and carry themselves, but they shouldn't be looked down upon simply for choosing a cosplay for reasons different from your own opinion.

Just let people have their fun. ^_^ Everyone cosplays things for their own reasons and it's everyone's right to disagree with that, but no one's right to say it's wrong.

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Mekou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:53 AM   #6023
UrMastrInuYasha
Baka

Guilty here, too.

I did not buy my costume from a con though, I just saw them on various image sites, and said " Oh... I like this outfit!" So I went out and made it, I eventually got around to watching the series to know the character, I personally don't care if a person cosplays a character they don't know. it does suck when you asked them a question, and they don't know what they are talking about.

UrMastrInuYasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 03:57 AM   #6024
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Now, wait. The question here was if it personally bothers you when it happens. Not if it's morally wrong, or if it should stop happening. Or at least, that's how I saw it.

I have to say, that if somebody was cosplaying one of my favorite characters and then I found out they knew nothing about the character, I would be a little bummed out. I love meeting people at cons because of a mutual love for the same series, so it can suck to find out that this person only did it for the design.
Mind you, sometimes you can just chalk that up to "Oh, well, at least they like the character designs. Maybe someday they'll read/watch/play the series too. " and be optimistic about it.
And it's certainly not like I think, "Man, people should really stop doing that!!" because, for goodness sakes, for the purposes of groups and whatnot I'm guilty of the same thing. But I do always try to look up the character or learn a bit beforehand. I've never cosplayed something completely blindly. That makes me feel better about the costumes I make, but I easily understand that many people could care less and are just creating things for the sake of reproducing a design they liked. That's okay too; it's just not my style.

My biggest issue, however, is probably the fact that I've cosplayed characters that many other cosplayers are guilty of doing for the design only. Mostly I mean Mai Shiranui. I can't tell you how many Mai cosplayers I've met that only cosplayed her because either A) They wanted to wear something skimpy or B) Their boyfriend plays KOF and wanted their girlfriend to dress up. As someone that actually plays the games regularly and cosplayed Mai for her character, it's frustrating to think I'd be looped into the same group. I don't want people thinking I would cosplay Mai just because I wanted to show some skin. I purposefully attempt to make my costumes tasteful to counter that. It's incredibly rewarding to be at the gatherings and start talking about the games and characters and storylines, and I hope I can start meeting more Mai cosplayers that can actually challenge me to a game.
Unread 10-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #6025
vampirate

Audhulma: Ah, okay. At first it just sounded to me like you weren't considering the other side of the discussion. I think we're all tired of bad SnJ costumes and would rather see more better thought out and put together ones.

Koi: I still think what I said makes perfect "sense". To clarify: I said "normal" male characters. If the male character has a more outgoing personality and maybe likes to show off a bit then wearing a miniskirt as a female might make "sense". But if the male character is more reserved then it would make more "sense" to have them in slightly different versions of their clothing that are mostly just tailored more to a female figure with a gender bending costume. And of course these examples are just for cosplayers who do actually want to take the nature of the character into consideration.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #6026
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

I really don't have a problem with it. I often see characters I don't know and appreciate what they're wearing. I probably wouldn't cosplay them only on that basis, but I have no problem with other people who would.
CezzaXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #6027
final-ensemble
lalala . . . I'm a SHROOM

I have absolutely no problem with making male characters female. For me it' not a question of gender, but of the quality of the cosplay.

And that's pretty much it.

--------------------------
I tend to make things female because. . .well, binding doesn't work.

Tentative Cosplay: AX08, A-Kon08
Furisode or yukata - original
Lala - D. Gray-man
CyberGoth - J-goth
final-ensemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #6028
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzikumaru View Post
A good example of people not knowing a damn thing about the characters but still cosplaying from the series was the early boom of Trinity Blood costumes. (we are talking PRE-anime/translations available in english) Several of the cosplayers who did the costumes knew little about the characters aside from their name. Does that make their costumes any less valid? Does that make their work any less stunning?
These days, I'm seeing a lot of Trinity Blood cosplayers doing the costumes just for the designs. Although this may be slightly contradictory to my previous post, I'd say that if you're going to do something that elaborate as a solo cosplay without knowing anything about the character, you're probably a bit of an attention-seeker. With the anime and manga readily available, why not just pick up a copy of either and at least try to get into the series? It'd be a better excuse than just "I wanted a flashy costume that would cause multiple photogasms."

What kills me more than that is when people cosplay as characters from unreleased series/games, i.e. people doing Ashe from FFXII back in '04, or Lightning from FF vs. XIII nowadays. What's the point? You're not going to have very good references, people probably won't recognize you and it just seems like an attempt to beat other cosplayers to the punch. In the end, you'll probably end up with a totally inaccurate costume. Waste of time/money, in my opinion.
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #6029
FaeandMerfolk
Costumed in Wyckedness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Now, wait. The question here was if it personally bothers you when it happens. Not if it's morally wrong, or if it should stop happening. Or at least, that's how I saw it.
Thank you for pointing that out. I also do not think she's saying that people who do cosplay characters they don't know well are wrong. I think she meant it more toward the people who don't know ANYTHING about the character.

I keep seeing people saying they are guilty of it, but then they contradict themselves by saying that they did a little research at least.

I believe she was refering to people who don't even do that.

Why yes, I am the Supreme Ruler of All Awesomeness!

Oklahoma Cosplayers Forum Communicate with Oklahoma Cosplayers and learn about our monthly events.

Director of Special Events at Izumicon www.Izumicon.com
Member of the Always Dreaming Cosplay Association And FoxMoon Productions
www.Myspace.com/CostumedWyckedness
Costume List Found Here
FaeandMerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #6030
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I'll be honest. The concept DOES annoy me. I am entitled to the right to be annoyed no matter what accusations of 'bigotry' (if you even want to call it that) may come my way.

Do I act on it? No. Do I approach the offending cosplayer and tell them? No. Do I do anything at all? No. I'm not wearing it. It's not my problem. It's not my business. If they want to use such an aggravating concept, Wonderful. I'll swallow my irritation and move along because there are too many good things at a con to waste time with anything more than a moment of irritation. They are not there to please me (Unless I become a judge one day MWUAHAHAHA!) and any irritation I feel shouldn't matter to them anyways.

But honestly, we all have our Inner Elitist Jerk (Which shall be shortened to IEJ for the intentions of this post). We may not allow the IEJ to surface but a little bit of it is with our thoughts in all aspects of life. It is where our peeves come from (Yes that is a shade of elitism that comes with being human) and really, have you looked at how many pages the pet peeves thread has? Has anyone here ever actually read them all? Nitpicky things that drive us bonkers because we feel things should be executed in a different manner. My IEJ says Male characters should remain male characters even when cosplayed by females. It doesn't mean my IEJ is right it's just how I feel.

Finished:
Azula (Season 3, Avatar the Last Airbender)
Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon Stars)

Remaking:
Asami (Season 3, Legend of Korra)

Working on:
Mulan (Mulan)
Princess Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)
Wonder Woman (Justice League Unlimited)
Power Ranger Villain OC
Huntress (Justice League Unlimited)
White Phoenix of the Crown (X Men)

Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay