Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #6016
LittleSelphie
Spicy gerbil flavoured

Naw, the best one I had was (young thang)-"You're from the 5th Element, right?"
(me)-"..um, yeah. I'm an attendant on the shuttle to Phloston Paradise"
(young thang)- "Cool.....was it Denzel Washington in that movie?"

I'm still flabbergasted that she remembered the costume and forgot the star...but it was Gaultier, I suppose...
LittleSelphie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #6017
Varnani
MY CABBAGES

It bothers me when whoever makes a female version, whether sluttified or not, of a male character and then gets mad or insulted when no one takes their picture or recognizes them. Or worse, when they expect a reward for their last minute SUPAH KAWAEE costume when they have not made the effort in getting a wig, their hems are fraying or non-existent, and they're wearing something or many things from Hot Topic.
Argue all you like, that's just how I feel about it.
Varnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #6018
EmperorCesar

You will see this all the time in group cosplay.
EmperorCesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #6019
vampirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audhulma View Post
It bothers me when whoever makes a female version, whether sluttified or not, of a male character and then gets mad or insulted when no one takes their picture or recognizes them. Or worse, when they expect a reward for their last minute SUPAH KAWAEE costume when they have not made the effort in getting a wig, their hems are fraying or non-existent, and they're wearing something or many things from Hot Topic.
Argue all you like, that's just how I feel about it.
You seem to have missed the point that not everyone who does femme versions of male characters slack off on it, some of us actually put thought and effort into it.

But then half of us have already said as much *already*.

I think your comments apply to most lazy cosplayers and attention whores in general. Instead it sounds to me like you decided to pick on gender bending costumes and lump them all into the same category together.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #6020
Scoti
Lv. 99

I'm guilty of working backwards and finding more about the character a little after I decided I like the character design. I still wouldn't skip one of the major character references like their name and what it's from, that information is so basic it baffles me that people can feel comfortable not knowing the origin of what they're wearing.

I only ones I don't fault are the people who don't even know they're cosplaying, I had a guy at my school who would sometimes wear a full Seigaku Prince of Tennis uniform and had no idea it had any connection to anime/manga ( and didn't like anime either). Apparently he go it as a gift without asking about it's source.
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #6021
Valdrein
Fashion Student

It bothers me when people do that >>'
I know for DGM my friend asked me to cosplay Komui for her but before I agreed I read the series first.

To me cosplay is fandom, by wearing costume your saying "I love this series!" or "This character is top notch" X'D
But a lot of people do that I find. Mostly to fit into a group that someone they know are doing.
Valdrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #6022
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi 1313 View Post
peeve #1, an item not arriving in time. My columbia bustier did NOT arrive by Friday so I had to wear my floorshow corset for the performance instead. She's definately getting some negative feedback.
I hate when things don't arrive on time. ESPECIALLY when you pay for priority shipping. My red fabric still hasn't gotten here.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #6023
Aikoh

I don't have a problem with it; I myself have considered cosplaying as characters I am not familiar with many times before simply because I liked the costume. But it's not something that I would personally recommend (though it's not my business if someone else chooses to do it), because the thing I find most fun about cosplay is the unique way it allows you to express your love for a character or a series. It also, as in your case, can lead to many disappointments by fans and I find it's a much more enriching experience to have a costume that not only is appreciated by you but also by other fans.
Aikoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #6024
Varnani
MY CABBAGES

I did, sort of. Mostly because I have not seen many gender-bending cosplays that were actually well executed. I acknowledge that there are good ones, like the femme versions of Joker and Two-Face, and yes, I admit your Red XIII is good also. There's also a femme version of Uryu Ishida that I'm enamoured with- if Ishida was a woman, I have no doubt that he would dress in the way that the girl decided to design it. I'm ragging on the last minute, thrown together femmes, and not bashing the whole...genre I suppose you would call it.
Maybe I'm too harsh. Like someone stated already, I don't have to look at SnJ or poorly done femmes, but...you know, I would like to see some good ones.
Varnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #6025
Koi
Promiscuous Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirate View Post
This is pretty much how I feel too. Personally I am all about giving original flair to cosplay costumes. I've made up different variant designs for costumes, including male to female.

I think lazy cosplays and just poorly thought out concepts are what mostly irk most of us. Like I don't watch Naruto, but I would assume that if one was going to do an SnJ costume it wouldn't make sense to give the character stripper shoes 'cause how the heck is that ninja-like? And just putting normal male characters in bikinis and mini skirts to try and make them female also doesn't make sense. People just need to take the character into consideration when coming up with variant designs.

What doesn't make "sense" to you might seem like a great idea to someone else. What you might perceive as "lazy" might have taken someone a long time to make. You can't deny someone they're creative license..
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #6026
Lothlin

I will say, I do wonder how many people actually cosplay things they're not familier with in one way or another, simply because.... if they're not familier with it, how did they come across the design? Just randomly search anime pictures on google?

The majority of cosplayers probably do it from a game or a series that they like simply because, since they ARE familier with the source material, they can discover the character in the first place. Then there's some people who will do stuff because they like the artist and come across the design that way (I can see this happening if someone has an artbook or something in that vein, I myself will be guilty of doing cosplay like this one day XD)

But to just randomly pick something when they don't have familiarity with the series or at least the original artist seems strange. How many people can say (bar being pushed into it,) that they've done this?
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #6027
ChibiInuBaka
Live, Love, Die

ah i'm guilty...;;;

It happened with my Anise Tatlin cosplay... i had no idea what Tales of the Abyss was, but I knew about other Tales games. I only decided to do Anise because some of my friends were. But you know, she grew on me :3 Eventually I got interested and did alot of research on her and I even played the game ! ^^

I guess it does kinda make me angry when someone cosplays as a character and they dont even know a single thing about them. Its better if they atleast do a little research about their character. :[ Who knows, if they do they might come to like him/her in the process like i did. :3

I'd Rather Live Than Live Forever.

Deviantart
ChibiInuBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #6028
Kyasaren
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoshy View Post
One more Peeve then i'm done: When people say a name wrong, and clame to be in the fandom. I had this girl, who was cosplay Sasori, come over to me and say 'oh, your from Nar-ROO-doe to?" "..Err..yes...but it's Nar-Ru-Toe.' " Thats how the Japanese say it^x^" "O_o...Oh kay.." " I like your Ah-cat-suk-eh jacket!" "..It's ak-" "Thats how the Japanses say it!"

No, it's not. -_-...
I know!! I saw this youtube video where this guy was interviewing a cosplayer who was waiting for her friends, he asked her what she was cosplaying and she said "ritsuka" as "retz ZU ka" with a pause between retz and ZU. He kept asking her over and over because he couldn't figure out what she was, then he went: " OH loveless!! "
Kyasaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #6029
demifiend
Anonkira be praised...

I would gladly cosplay a character from a series I knew nothing about provided I thought that the costume looked cool. In fact, I'm trying to figure something out for next AX since my others are so simple.
Unread 10-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #6030
Chiefy
Model Magic Queen

Its alright in some cases but I would think if your wearing the costume you would know who you are. Thats just weird not to. I remember a girl entered a costume contest and I had to remind her who her character was and from what series ^^;;;