Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #6766
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperhead535 View Post
Peeve: say whatever you want about me - but it really irks me when someone does a cosplay of a race they are not. I've seen far too many white Mulans with absolutely no Asian features and it just looks bad - or white guys trying to do Barret from FF7 and coloring their skin with makeup. I think it looks bad and just plain disrespectful.
/sarcastic
yeah yeah it really irks me when females do male characters!!!!!!
/sarcastic off

i thought if i put it in a little perspective for you zipper, you might just see how much racist disrespect you just portrayed to everyone.

barret is black, so what? if someone tries to cosplay as him and uses face paint to try and perfect the cosplay? so what? just because their face paint sucks dosent mean they are being disrespectful, it means they need to fix their technique.

edit: hmmmmm i noticed im late to the party too....damnit

Last edited by evaunit01berser : 11-27-2007 at 11:54 PM.
evaunit01berser is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #6767
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

That's all right, eva. *Pats shoulder.*

MY PEEVE IS BUTTONS.

I just finished sewing the buttons up the sides of Seth's boots. Now I just need matching pleather so I can do the cuffs and do the final pair of buttons. YEY.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #6768
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

*sniff sniff*
Is that sum weeaboo I smell? :-P
Isn't one of the points of cosplay to try and emulate something you normally DON'T look like? Sheesh.
Apparently I fail too since I'm not a REAL demon! Oh noes!

On topic:
Peeve: Having to work when Jo-anns had all their amazing After Thanksgiving sale coupons at those oh-so-limited times. ;_; So very very sad!

Last edited by Miyabi- : 11-28-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: no spel gud
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #6769
Spookloops
We Broke It.

Button-hunting is my peeve today. I need some antique-y oval cabochon type buttons, but everything I'm finding is either round, too gaudy, or too small.

The gaudy ones would work if I could antique them back to tastefulness - I think there's my weekend research project ^.^
Unread 11-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #6770
Concolor
Creepy Old Guy

If you were to try this in Philadelphia (PA, U.S.A.), and take a little stroll down the street, I'm sure you'd have a different view afterward.

People would find it disrespectful, and they'd let you know.

Physically.

I'm sorry, but the other guy has a point. Why does everyone go so Emo when someone speaks an uncomfortable truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaunit01berser View Post
barret is black, so what? if someone tries to cosplay as him and uses face paint to try and perfect the cosplay? so what? just because their face paint sucks dosent mean they are being disrespectful, it means they need to fix their technique.

MeowAbout Cosplay
Concolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #6771
Lothlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolor View Post
If you were to try this in Philadelphia (PA, U.S.A.), and take a little stroll down the street, I'm sure you'd have a different view afterward.

People would find it disrespectful, and they'd let you know.

Physically.

I'm sorry, but the other guy has a point. Why does everyone go so Emo when someone speaks an uncomfortable truth?
A well-done makeup job won't always get someone lynched. Especially if they're walking around with a group of other costumed individuals. SURE, if someone decided that it would be a good idea to cosplay in full-on blackface, now that would be a bad idea.

By that same token, any intelligent individual of pale skin who puts on darker make up to emulate a character, and knows well enough to do it well, is hopefully going to be intelligent enough NOT to go walking around downtown Philidelphia.
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #6772
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

Barring the proffesional makeup artists who are able to do this sort of thing and make it look natural, I would find people drastically changing their skintone with make up to be slightly offensive. A few shades darker or lighter (or ridiculous unnatural colours like blue and orange) usually looks fine. But, generally speaking, cosplayers who try to go from a really light skintone to a really dark one don't do a very convincing job.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a white Barret. I'd rather see a well done costume with someone's natural skintone than a bad makeup job any day.

Pet Peeve: Gathering. OMG I HATE IT. I'm SO glad these petticoats are over and done with. ~_~
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #6773
Lothlin

They would hopefully know then that, instead of going ULTRA OVER THE TOP DARK, they just subtley darken their skin a few shades to better convey the character.

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to do makeup on myself for a few conventions coming up, and this kind of bloody argument is a pet peeve! I'm a perfectionist, and if I just leave my skin as freaking pale as it naturally is for Black Rose, I'm going to think it's not accurate, and I'll probably get called lazy by peoples on the internet.

Yet, if I use makeup and try to be accurate, I'll be a racist? Right.
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #6774
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

@Lothilin, I personally wouldn't call anyone a racist for trying to be accurate in cosplay. Really well-done makeup jobs impress me a lot, actually. It's just been my experience that most cosplayers don't have the skill in makeup to do this level of colouring change. And when someone tries to make themselves really dark OR really light, it tends to look fake and bad. It also tends to smack of blackface and I feel that people should know better than to insist on wearing makeup that, to the general public, would signify racial mockery. Honestly, if it doesn't look spot-on you're bound to offend SOMEONE. If it's really bad, chances are that someone will multiply to many people.

Again, well-done makeup is excluded from this. As well as the unnatural colours since, really, there's no one with blue skin to begin with. That's my opinion on it anyways.

And, alas, the internet is fickle and hypocritical. I don't think there's way to avoid the contradictions of opinions.
Unread 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #6775
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

Scalloped edges.... their the devil :: eye twitch ::

Sailor Moon (Crystal) - 100% Complete!

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #6776
Razia
*whistles*

No one here is condoning running around the streets in a bad make-up job anyway--obviously, we're talking about a convention setting and giving people benefit of the doubt and assuming that they would do a decent job with the make-up. Doing it otherwise would be bad no matter what they were trying to do. I don't think anyone could argue with that.

Besides, bad make-up jobs are a completely different peeve altogether--that's the kind of complaint I'd completely support (especially with all the Mystiques I've seen where you can see where the blue make-up has rubbed off and their real skin color is showing through in spots--eesh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlin View Post
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to do makeup on myself for a few conventions coming up, and this kind of bloody argument is a pet peeve! I'm a perfectionist, and if I just leave my skin as freaking pale as it naturally is for Black Rose, I'm going to think it's not accurate, and I'll probably get called lazy by peoples on the internet.

Yet, if I use makeup and try to be accurate, I'll be a racist? Right.
I hear that. I'm pretty pale (and pinkish) normally, and I plan on attempting to cosplay as a character who is Brazillian, Milla Vodello from Psychonauts. No way would I try to be a white version of Milla--she's just too ethnic and it would come off half-assed if I left out a detail like that.

I also don't wanna just pass on the idea just because of my ethnicity either.

Planned costumes for MAGfest, 2008:
Elena/Reno (with the b/f)
Walter Sullivan (from Silent Hill 4)

Costumes I'll hopefully get around to some day, but God only knows when:
Sephiroth
Dawn
Edea
Milla/Sasha (with the b/f--from Psychonauts)
Sally (from Nightmare Before Christmas)
(subject to change ... repeatedly =P)

Last edited by Razia : 11-28-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Clarification/OCD =P
Razia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #6777
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonekoMiyabi View Post
*sniff sniff*
Is that sum weeaboo I smell? :-P
Isn't one of the points of cosplay to try and emulate something you normally DON'T look like? Sheesh.
Apparently I fail too since I'm not a REAL demon! Oh noes!

On topic:
Peeve: Having to work when Jo-anns had all their amazing After Thanksgiving sale coupons at those oh-so-limited times. ;_; So very very sad!

D= I fail at Etna and Raspberyl because I'm not a demon either! ;-;

I dunno, I've been wanting to buy one of those airbrush systems that can darken/lighten your skin tone with that special makeup.

Peeve: Not knowing where to start. XD
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #6778
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razia View Post
I hear that. I'm pretty pale (and pinkish) normally, and I plan on attempting to cosplay as a character who is Brazillian, Milla Vodello from Psychonauts. No way would I try to be a white version of Milla--she's just too ethnic and it would come off half-assed if I left out a detail like that.

I also don't wanna just pass on the idea just because of my ethnicity either.
I concur. The character chaos, from Xenosaga (whose real name is Yeshua), has an Arabic skintone, and considering the inherent Bible references in the game, as well as the not-so-subtle references to whom chaos actually IS, it would be beyond insulting to the character to just leave myself as my usual ghastly pale self.

I don't see how wanting to darken one's skintone to be more character accurate is racist. << Especially because racism is the belittling or insulting of another race - basically, saying what they can/can't do because they are of that race, or making malicious fun of them because they are of a particular race.

I want to look Arabic. Because chaos is Arabic. And chaos is awesome. So I can't darken my skintone, or even attempt it, because that could be perceived as being racist? Worse yet, I can't cosplay him because I'm white? I'm insulted by this. Very insulted. Just as insulted as if I were told I can't cosplay someone really tall because I'm really short. I can't help that I'm white, I can't help that I'm short, and I'll be damned if I let the BS that is 'political correctness' stop me from doing what I love.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #6779
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post

D= I fail at Etna and Raspberyl because I'm not a demon either! ;-;

I dunno, I've been wanting to buy one of those airbrush systems that can darken/lighten your skin tone with that special makeup.

Peeve: Not knowing where to start. XD
I failplz at Rozalin and Pleinair cause I'm not a demon either! So technically, the only character I can actually cosplay that I've done so far is Scheska from FMA.

Oh wait, she's a Librarian and needs glasses, and I'm not.

I fail. ;__;

and. Wig sale. Why'd it have to happen when I have no money? And speaking of wigs. I have no idea how long of a wig I'm going to need to make Yurika's giant spiral curls of doom.
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #6780
mirrorsaber
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post
OMG U PHAIL.

But I'm not naturall purple... So I guess Devil Katt is a fail too. *Joins in shame*
I cosplayed as Anthy and I'm not dark skinned. I guess I'm fail too.

*joins with the other people in shame*

Current pet peeve- My #$%^ing glue gun broke!

next costume- Just repairing/making new stuff I never tried as of now.
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote