Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 406 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM   #781
RedPirate
Fangs by Alucard

He sure is but I don't wanna see him in a bikini!

Momiji - uniform (50%)
Chii - original (95%)
Himura Kenshin (98%)

Would like fullmetal fingertips
RedPirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #782
Hiro_01
"haha moo"-Kakashi

cosplayers cosplaying as their made ups really puts a damper on me, because no one knows who they are. But other then that. Oh and fangirls, i don't really have a problem with a few of them, but around 20 gets a lil crazy.
L100%
Jessy:100%
Ed-100%
Adding a new con to the list! Bakuraketsu, Anime Boston, CT con (hopefully they'll be more in the summer if i can pay for them all)
Hiro_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #783
White Mushroom
*bops you on head*

More of a con thing but.... Yaoi fangirls who tell boys to get in sugggestive poses with or without another guy. This is just the same as some guy asking a girl to pose slutty with or without another girl. It REALLY make me mad when people tell me it's not the same thing... YES IT ISSSSSSSSS.
White Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #784
JeiC
Sanity...is not an option

Can I also add people who give people are hard time for cosplaying original characters? Sorry, Hiro_01, but I'm not pointing this at you. I've just been harassed by people since I liked to cosplay one of my original characters and while I understand the point of cosplaying known characters, there's also something to be proud of when you create your own character from scratch and decide to give it life by cosplaying it. Last year I got so upset with people knocking me for it that I went back to my hotel room and changed into Ed. Then I really learned how nice it can be sometimes to be unknown. I really wasn't prepared last year to cosplay a known (and popular) character. Though I'll admit that I still don't know very well how to handle pictures and whatnot, I know better what I'm getting myself into this year.
JeiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #785
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

You can knock original cosplays if you like, but it's not like they're doing it for your entertainment. It's not like they expect you to know who they are. It's because, like JeiC said, they love their character like it's their baby.

I know I have some characters who are so fully realized for me, cosplaying them wouldn't be so much an act of vanity as a need to give them some kind of life. It's not, "oh, hey, look how cool this character I came up with all by myself is", it's like "cosplay me now or I will devour your brain!" Just like a child or a hideous scientific experiment, once you give birth to a character it can sometimes run in directions you never intended it to.

--PD
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #786
Hiro_01
"haha moo"-Kakashi

^^; sorry, i'm not against it, I mean i'm just saying I only leave it for rpging, not cosplaying. Yet i do like some of the outfits i give my characters, I was on the eurge of my first cosplay being an oc, then i realised what i was doing. I think it was because i wanted to do something with it, i dono, but sorry ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeiC
Can I also add people who give people are hard time for cosplaying original characters? Sorry, Hiro_01, but I'm not pointing this at you. I've just been harassed by people since I liked to cosplay one of my original characters and while I understand the point of cosplaying known characters, there's also something to be proud of when you create your own character from scratch and decide to give it life by cosplaying it. Last year I got so upset with people knocking me for it that I went back to my hotel room and changed into Ed. Then I really learned how nice it can be sometimes to be unknown. I really wasn't prepared last year to cosplay a known (and popular) character. Though I'll admit that I still don't know very well how to handle pictures and whatnot, I know better what I'm getting myself into this year.
L100%
Jessy:100%
Ed-100%
Adding a new con to the list! Bakuraketsu, Anime Boston, CT con (hopefully they'll be more in the summer if i can pay for them all)
Hiro_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:05 PM   #787
Kupo!
I won my freedom

>_< I thought cosplaying was about having fun and enjoy being your favorite character regardless if you look like them or not.But recently many people are taking it to the extent making others feel bad just because they don't measure up to what "they" may think is a "perfect" cosplay.

Still when I was new to the world of cosplay my friend Chris (short for christina) went dressed up as a Sumomo from Chobits ( a cute one if I may add!!) but got picked on just because it wasn't a "perfect cosplay" in the eye of the other cosplayer and rabished my friends costume. THAT! my fellow cosplayers would be a pet peeve not taking other peoples feeling in consideration or even taking a moment to acknowledge how much effort went in it or even if they couldn't make it the nicest to its full potential because of low budget not everyone gets there money so easly as others.

A definition of cosplaying for me is to be amoung other fellow cosplayers,To learn from each other and share the same taste.And who knows maybe in the near future people will not be rude to each other and instead remember the true definition of cosplaying which is to have " FUN AND ENJOY YOURSELFS"
well thats pretty much all I have to say but then again Im just a Cosplaying Newbie which I am proud of! n_n and maybe I will learn and grow from everyone.

OVER AND OUT KUPO!
Kupo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #788
pure_fantasy
disappears frequently

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupo!
>_< I thought cosplaying was about having fun and enjoy being your favorite character regardless if you look like them or not.But recently many people are taking it to the extent making others feel bad just because they don't measure up to what "they" may think is a "perfect" cosplay.

Still when I was new to the world of cosplay my friend Chris (short for christina) went dressed up as a Sumomo from Chobits ( a cute one if I may add!!) but got picked on just because it wasn't a "perfect cosplay" in the eye of the other cosplayer and rabished my friends costume. THAT! my fellow cosplayers would be a pet peeve not taking other peoples feeling in consideration or even taking a moment to acknowledge how much effort went in it or even if they couldn't make it the nicest to its full potential because of low budget not everyone gets there money so easly as others.

A definition of cosplaying for me is to be amoung other fellow cosplayers,To learn from each other and share the same taste.And who knows maybe in the near future people will not be rude to each other and instead remember the true definition of cosplaying which is to have " FUN AND ENJOY YOURSELFS"
well thats pretty much all I have to say but then again Im just a Cosplaying Newbie which I am proud of! n_n and maybe I will learn and grow from everyone.

OVER AND OUT KUPO!
You do make a strong point. I'm like a mocha skinned African American so I used to think automatically that since I was darker, I had to cosplay as darker characters. And since i haven't cosplayed before, I asssumed that's how it worked cause I seen alot of characters no matter what race they was, they looked just like the character skin complextion and all.

But then again I seen a very good cosplayer that was black and went as Tifa and looked just like her. And then I seen a black Sora(KH2) that looked tight and he didn't even wear a wig. He wore his own hair and it was short. My brother wants to go as Roxas and instead of getting a blonde wig for accuracy, he wants to rock his french braids or an afro. He just said Roxas outfit is tight and likes him as an character regardless. And like I want to go as Nadia this year, not just because she's dark and I may resemble her a bit, but because I like her as a character period. I have future ideas to go as characters I don't even look like. A few I had in mind was Nami(one Piece), Yomiko(Read or Die) Yuffie(FFIIV), Frida or Shorty (BAG).

Then I also have ones that are closer to me like Ishizu(YGO), Rena(.hack/tb) or Glenda(PPYucie). But all of these are just some of my favorite characters and it doesn't matter if i look like them or not as long as i have fun. I noticed that some people that don't look like the character look more like them than those who do. As long as you have fun it shouldn't matter. So I agree with ya'll on that.
pure_fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #789
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.

Er, I really don't even see what's wrong with cosplaying your own original character. I've been trying to design a cute outfit and make it, but I haven't gotten around to it e_e But yeah, I really have no idea why it's so bad or annoying if someone cosplays their OWN character. I mean, at least you won't see it 20 or 50 times. If it looks cool/original/stylish/unique, then why not? I think it's an awesome thing and it makes the person creative/open-minded when it comes to cosplay.

KORE TE DESTINYYYY~?! -Nobuta wo Produce <3
xinababo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:58 AM   #790
Malicious

^ me either.... cosplay is about dressing up, as we all know. it shouldn't be limited to just anime and video games as many of us would think. i've designed many original characters, who i wish to cosplay in the near future. i don't even care if no one has any idea what i'm supposed to be. half the time i don't even know who people cosplay at cons are supposed to be, but i'm not gonna pick on them just cuz i have no idea what they are. if it looks good and like an actual costume then whats the problem?
Malicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 02:21 AM   #791
AlphaNinn
I am me?

I'm working on an original as well that I can't wait to bring to a con. (And it has sentimental value, the fabric was given to me by my grandma, and while she's still going strong, she's really up there in years) My last original was more popular than my real characters, too, lol.

Earlier back someone mentioned the age and "too old" bit. I wholeheartedly agree. I was getting those comments on an unrelated message board, and it was beginning to wear away at me. Thankfully, a trip to a gaming con, where a good half to 3/4 of the people in costume were older than I, snapped me back into a better mindset.

And on unrelated boards...

I frequent another site where this hobby is extremely looked down upon. While I singlehandedly changed the opinions of one of the forums on the site (nothing elitest, I swear, I usually just have a costume progress thread up and through questioning me, they've now realized that it's just a hobby, nothing more, and some of them will come to me for sewing advice now), another one of the boards, however, without any regard for any feelings, bash cons and cosplaying. Unless the cosplayer is a "hot female". Then all they do is drool and admire the costume. That really irks me.

And at cons, rude people in general. Especially the ones who form lines 6 (random number) people long and block the halls. I'm not talking a cluster near the wall, I'm not talking a group of people in the lobby. I'm talking where I practically have to play a game of Red Rover just to get across the convention. Obviously, this is more of an issue at cons at smaller locations or just overpacking into their location, but it still annoys me, since that pretty much fits 3/4 of the cons I go to.
AlphaNinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #792
FlowersInMidgar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinababo
Er, I really don't even see what's wrong with cosplaying your own original character. I've been trying to design a cute outfit and make it, but I haven't gotten around to it e_e But yeah, I really have no idea why it's so bad or annoying if someone cosplays their OWN character. I mean, at least you won't see it 20 or 50 times. If it looks cool/original/stylish/unique, then why not? I think it's an awesome thing and it makes the person creative/open-minded when it comes to cosplay.
1. Because you can't please everyone, all of the time.
2. Because some people are under the false impression that they need to be entertained by other cosplayers.
3. Some people will always find fault in anything that isn't their own.

If you cosplay a famous character, someone will pan you for it.
If you cosplay a famous character with some personal touches, someone will pan you for it.
If you cosplay an original character someone, somewhere, will complain that someone had the audacity to dress up as someone they don't recognize.

Frankly, every one is a ridiculously stupid complaint.
FlowersInMidgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #793
robfalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro_01
cosplayers cosplaying as their made ups really puts a damper on me, because no one knows who they are.
well actually, this is exactly how i feel if i go on someones gallery, and i see nothing but anime and j rock cosplays. I hardly watch animes, i think in general they are too simple and have empty storylines, and i aint keen on j rock really, so i,m in the same boat as you there.

Now on the otherside of the coin, i like Original cosplays. I,ve said this analogy before. Cosplayers who make original outfits are like a band who dont just go around playing nothing but cover songs
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #794
AmazonMandy

Here's a new one: the 4chan cosplay board. I pretty much feel 4chan is the toilet of the internet to begin with, and i find out that someones been putting alot of my pics up. To be met with everything from "fapfapfap", "do not want" and "i'd hit it" comments. Like i need this. What the hell does 4chan need a cosplay board for? They are mostly people who sit at the computer and enjoy being angry at the world...now they have a whole new group to direct it at! Huzzah for endless tastelessness. (woah theres a word).
AmazonMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #795
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I don't know what 4chan is, but I'm starting to think I might not want to know.

*sigh*

Why do people gotta hate on other people who are just having fun?

--PD
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote