Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #12286
XCosplayPandaX

For me right is when you have the money for fabrics, you see the fabric that 95% sure that you want but there's that 5% that makes you second guess yourself. (It drives me crazy! >.<')

Cosplay for 2009-2010
Oz Bezarius-35%
Gijinka Quilava-40%

Deviantart & Youtube Account
http://uniquewolf.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/XCosplayPandaX
XCosplayPandaX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #12287
Green Eyed Lady
Envy Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippingSith View Post
Saeto hit the nail on the head.

However, my supremely major cosplayer peeve is those who bash people's cosplay without knowing the story behind it. A large majority of my costumes get thrown together in a week or so, because I have the attention span of an ant, and I'm sorry if I can't afford fifteen yards of bridal satin to make wedding Yuna. It was a 2-day project, involved taking apart Christine Daae and another costume, using what I had already invested in with the several yards of leftover fabric, and sewing it by hand (actually out of spite for my ex, who dumped me before the con.) It's pretty the way it is (and has since been machine stitched and significantly improved), and I have other things, like school and a new laptop to worry about purchasing before I buy yards and yards of expensive fabric. Sometimes we just have to make do with a limited budget; most of my things were made for under 50$, simply because I don't have the money to blow on a crazy detailed costume.

/rant.

And I second the closet-cosplay fanfiction characters. Unless you make some investments, like a wig, makeup, altering clothing to be more like your character, walking up to me at a con in jeans and a t-shirt with "I <3 Anime" on it and claiming you're so-and-so character from chapter nine million of an ff.net story doesn't work for me.
Yeah honestly I really don't like it when people feel the need to bash someone elses costume.

I mean are people like that trying to ruin someone elses con experience? That's just sad.

Not everyone has the same budget as someone else, not everyone even cares about making the cosplay look authentic because sometimes people just want to have fun and just want to dress as their fav character even though they don't look like the character.

People just need to back off.

I mean obviously I'm going to be more impressed by costumes that are really well done and look like the character but there is really nothing wrong with cosplays that aren't and I know that if I see someone cosplaying a character I like, even if the cosplay is not put together that well, I'm going to like that person for liking the same character as me. It doesn't matter that the cosplay isn't as well done.

Also they probably know that their costume isn't the best costume out there....and personally when people know that and still dress up anyway they have a lot of guts to do that so I respect them.

I don't personally get pleasure out of putting other people down and I never will. I hate people who come to cons and do that, trying to take away fun from other people. Real party trashers, those people are.

Also, if people want attention at cons and like having their picture taken....you know what? Let them have their fun. I know that when I cosplayed as Envy at the last con I went to I got more attention and positive comments than I'd ever had before in my life. And yeah, I liked it. Isn't everyone entitled to a little love and attention for the odd day in their life? And it wasn't really my fault that I got the attention either. People just came up to me.

I think cons are an excuse for people to get attention once in their lives. People need to just leave them alone. Let them show off their costume and get attention. It's not something people get to do most days of their life.

Last edited by Green Eyed Lady : 04-19-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Green Eyed Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #12288
PandaClown
Be very afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
All we are is nerds playing dress-up. So can we please stop acting like the hobby is any excuse to feed social and psychological shortcomings?
This needs to be sticky'd on every board.
Undecided.
PandaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #12289
怪物304
unknown

one of my latest pet peeve:

don't hog the photographer during a group private photoshoot when there is only 1 photographer only.

the situation was we have 4 cosplayers and 1 photog. the time is getting late. I barely had any photos taken yet (a couple of group shots and no solo). Then this teammate A kept pulling teammate B to take this pair photo from the series. Teammate B got it down in a couple of takes but because Teammate A kept screwing up her expression, she demanded retakes over and over again (it could have been more than half hour in the same pose and i think probably over 30 retakes). come on if you can't get it, then take a break, let others have a go first, then re-try later. it isn't like I am stopping you from re-trying later. Even B was a bit X_X after re-taking so many times with her.
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #12290
The Boss
Mentor

I don't have many cosplay pet peeves.. but one thing is driving me nuts:

You see a beautiful cosplayer with an AWESOME costume, maybe the best you've ever seen. and then:
PLATEAU BOOTS

raaaaaaah.
I mean: if the cosplayer is the ONLY one you see on the photo... you can't tell how tall he/she is anyways oO°
And it's even more strange if the character he/she's cosplaying would NEVER ever wear such boots for sure. It just looks dumb in my opinion.
That's no offence to anyone who does it. It's just my personal opinion that I don't like the look of characters with (extremely high) plateau shoes.

Link- Legend of Zelda, TP
Madam Hooch
Der Tod (Elisabeth, Takarazuka)
The Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #12291
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Ungratefulness.
When someone specifically asks you for advice, you give it to them, very politely, and then, if it's not something they wanted to hear, they're like, "Psh. Whatever."
I mean, there's a politer way to respond to advice that might mean a little more work for you. It's to say, "Thank you so much for the advice...but that sounds like a lot more work than I'm willing to put forth. I'll see what I can do," or something.

Jesus! >_<

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #12292
gammakitten
That Girl

One of my biggest pet peeves wasn't even really from cosplaying, but I'm sure many people have come across at cons. Creepers.

I was helping a friend out with his booth for a comic he just started and was dressed to match his wife in what we deemed "Paragon Girls". White tank top, blue pleated skirt, blue shoes and little white socks. Simple, but cute. A couple of guys that were hanging out at the booth across from us came up to us at the end of the first day (it wasn't held in a hotel so it closed at night), and we were having a conversation. They asked for pictures, we obliged. Then went back to talking. While I was talking to one of the guys another just kept taking pictures of me. I didn't notice at first because my back was turned, and I actually was enjoying the conversation. Then I realized he was zooming in on my chest (yes there was cleavage, but my boobs were not to the point of trying to make their own introduction). Then he kept touching me. Mostly just on my arm, but as some others have stated I do NOT like strangers touching me. I am extremely affectionate with those I know, but strangers.. no touchy. Especially my face.

At the same con my friend had her own experience with a creeper. An older guy kept following her around as subtly as he could, occasionally he would ask for a picture.. sometimes he wouldn't bother asking. We've run in to the same guy at two cons since and he did the same thing to her.

I am just getting in to cosplay, the closest I've ever done is shadow casting then wearing my costumes to advertise. Creepers are a big reason that newer cosplayers decide not to do cosplay anymore, there's fun, joking and flirting, but do not stalk someone or take copious amounts of pictures of them, their chest and other assets then later get pissy that they aren't talking to you online.

Aside from that.. of course there's the already mentioned lack of respect in so many regards, and the smell. If I can smell someone before I see them.. no.. just no.

Last edited by gammakitten : 04-21-2010 at 03:08 AM.
gammakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #12293
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
This pet peeve is cosplayers who refuse to hold themselves to the same standards they hold others to, and unfortunately, this seems to manifest itself in a lot of little ways.

There are way too many examples I can think of: things like criticising people's accuracy when you're not completely accurate either, or frowning on people who demand and fight for attention (particularly from photographers) when you may be just as guilty of trying to gain attention. Another one that never ceases to boggle me is when cosplayers complain about "divas", or people who take the hobby too seriously, then turn around and act all serious business about it too. The same can be said about the circus that is cosplay-related drama: I've seen people get very annoyed with people who pick fights or look for conflict and one-upmanship, yet they do nothing whatsoever to diffuse the drama, more often than not they contribute to it and fan the flames. And hell, some of my friends in the hobby have been known to complain about people who cosplay from series they don't know, but these same friends have thought about doing the same.

All we are is nerds playing dress-up. So can we please stop acting like the hobby is any excuse to feed social and psychological shortcomings?
QFT!

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #12294
Amanita

I don't bash on other people's cosplay for the same reason skippingseth posted.
For all I know, that person may be at their first event, it may be their first ever attempt at a costume, they didn't have a lot of time or money to work with, and so on.
So I'm not going to go up to somebody and laugh at them, saying how much their costume sucks. What's the point of that?

There's an ocean-sized gulf of difference between "LOL, your cosplay f'in sucks" and "A better wig would really make a difference".

I admit- I HAVE seen some cringe-worthy cosplay, but I would never be so crass as to walk right up to the wearer and bust on them for it, or talk shit online. The only exception to that rule would be if said cosplayer started it by talking trash about me and my work. Then turnabout is fair play.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #12295
TrinityMonkey
Cosplayer by Night

my pet peeve is when wigs get "disobedient" with its style during a con day XP
TrinityMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #12296
Moon_Fish

Finals week getting in the way! I'm sooo ready for summer vacation to start so I can workon costumes without feeling guilty over school work!

Also, people (especially kids) who just randomly decide to follow you around a con because you have a 'nice' costume. I just want to enjoy the con, not babysit.
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #12297
Dragon
Cosplay Fiend

People getting bitchy because you don't know the character they are cosplaying and insisting that you SHOULD ABSOLUTLY know or you are a noob because this is SO mainstream.

I don't particular often like mainstream and don't think people should expect other people to know because THEY do. I'm almost never rexpecting other's to know my costumes either.

Also if a costume doesn't really look like a costume and you are told that it's a character which you happen to know and you automatically have a WTF?!-look of disbelieve because you would have never associated the persons look with the character and then being bad mouthed and called an "elitist" even thought you didn't say anything.

Seriously. If I had one wish free that would come true in terms of cosplay, then I'd wish for people to actually save their costumes until they are recognizable and don't just throw on some items and say you are so and so and not looking the thinniest thing like it and getting all pissed abut it.
Get that it's your own fault, for not doing a good enough job, not other people's ignorance. -.-
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #12298
Melodious Nocturne
~*Melodious Angel*~

Demyx Time
Sayaka Miki - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Melodious Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #12299
ashelia89
Visiting Gran Pulse

cosplay peeve: one of my color contact lenses breaking when its about 2 and a half months AWAY from being expired..and then not being able to pick up the replacement one for it because the place that i bought it from is far away from me >: ( ! -face palm-
The Hume's ever skew history's weave. With haste they move through too-short lives. Driven to err by base desires, towards waste and wasting on they run. Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true. The chosen is our hand - our fist - to let live some and to crush the rest.
ashelia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #12300
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
People getting bitchy because you don't know the character they are cosplaying and insisting that you SHOULD ABSOLUTLY know or you are a noob because this is SO mainstream.

I don't particular often like mainstream and don't think people should expect other people to know because THEY do. I'm almost never rexpecting other's to know my costumes either.

Also if a costume doesn't really look like a costume and you are told that it's a character which you happen to know and you automatically have a WTF?!-look of disbelieve because you would have never associated the persons look with the character and then being bad mouthed and called an "elitist" even thought you didn't say anything.

Seriously. If I had one wish free that would come true in terms of cosplay, then I'd wish for people to actually save their costumes until they are recognizable and don't just throw on some items and say you are so and so and not looking the thinniest thing like it and getting all pissed abut it.
Get that it's your own fault, for not doing a good enough job, not other people's ignorance. -.-

THIS. I saw a great small Naruto cosplay group (I'm not a fan of Naruto but I recognise some characters) so I wanted to take a picture of them individually and got to the last one who I didn't know. He got into a hissy fit about how he was 'Itachi' and 'how I couldn't recognise Sasuke's brother'. Seriously, people, I don't want to spend all of my free time beeing some narutard and learning every single detail about the frigging show! I have more important things to do with my life than think about cosplay and watching anime/ reading manga every day of the week! Now I really don't ever want to take pictures of a fandom I don't like/ know so much. (no offense to Naruto cosplayers, when I said 'narutard' I was referring to the overly-obsessed people which life involves just around naruto)...
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 04-27-2010 at 06:44 AM.
x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote