Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 358 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #12631
Firefly026
Everybody get dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolahime View Post
Also if you want to accept limitation and mediocrity in your life then ok. I for one won't let anything but the physical limit me, talent means nothing to me.
Hmmm, well I don't think I'm a mediocre cosplayer, and I don't accept it. I put a lot of effort into my costumes.
If I ever find myself happening upon the oppurtunity to learn to sew, I will.
As for now, I don't really have the time or money to attempt such a hobby right now, so don't just assume these things of people.
I know you're welcome to saying your oppinion, but we're welcome to disagree.

NOW! Back to business, my current pet peeve:
My PVC pipe I spray painted won't dry....
It keeps getting all sticky and junk.
-Momocon 2014
Upcoming Cosplays:
*Mami Tomoe -Puella Magi Madoka Magica
*Daenerys Targaryen -Game of Thrones
Firefly026 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #12632
Gingersweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly026 View Post
Did you make sure the spray paint was plastic adhesive?
I don't think those are the right words, but some spray paint just doesn't work on plastic, while other kinds do. Check out the can to be sure?

Pet Peeves:
Not having the SPACE to work on a costume. I need to be sure that I have enough fabric for my coat, which means I need to lay out all four yards of fabric and lay out the modified pattern on it. And then, of course, cut things out. The only room big enough in this house has really shaggy carpet. D: No cutting on shaggy carpet.
Handmade, professional, and convention safe props custom made for you!
Conventions:
  • EXP Con October 8-10
  • ShadoCon November 5-7
Cosplays:
  • General Beatrix Final Fantasy IX :: 20% Complete
Gingersweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #12633
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Quote:
Well what if I think that your statement is incorrect and also bullshit? These things work both ways, and I am only overworked about having something misinterpreted when I explicitly have a line to differentiate myself from elitists who think bought costumes are some sort of crime.

V also I feel like I need to quote everything from now on... There was a comment that some people just don't have a 'knack' for things... oh fuck it I don't care enough. This is seriously the last time I try and make any sort of comment beyond the norm here.
Then you should still have the grace to respond politely and not bite people's heads off for their opinions. Were people maybe a little snippy? Sure. But what you said was kind of insulting to some people. it makes it seem like people are just lying and don't care enough if they can't seem to get the hang of sewing. That's not the case, some people just pick things up differently or not at all.

I can draw people with almost perfect anatomy(perfect being based on the proportions and the type of drawing I'm doing, not based on reality, if that makes sense) without paying attention or trying, and can have a nice sketch done in well under ten minutes, while my friend HAS to try twice as hard and draw for twice as long to get a profile of a face. This doesn't mean she cares any less, or that I've drawn a lot more than she has, because she doesn't and I haven't. I have a bit more talent for it than she does. It's the same with everything. Not everyone can draw, not everyone can paint, not everyone can sculpt, not everyone can work well with wood, not everyone can style hair, and not everyone can sew.

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #12634
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Quote:

Where are you leaving it to dry? If it's too cold or humid then it will take much longer to dry.

Completed:

In Progress:
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #12635
Firefly026
Everybody get dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersweet View Post
[color="#ff0066"]Did you make sure the spray paint was plastic adhesive?
I don't think those are the right words, but some spray paint just doesn't work on plastic, while other kinds do. Check out the can to be sure? color]

Well, I checked the can and plastic wasn't listed...
But it's getting less and less sticky!!!
So I guess that's good XD
But thanks for the tip!! I'll definitely have to check for that the next time I need some spray paint!
-Momocon 2014
Upcoming Cosplays:
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #12636
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Why do any of us need an "excuse" not to make our costumes?

Does my enjoying music without composing it make me a mediocre music lover?
Does my watching movies mean I need to make them?
Does my inability to swim make me "lazy" for having not bothered to learn? If I throw myself off a ship into the ocean will I automatically learn?
Does ability to sew always translate to better cosplay? Does ability to sew always result in well-made garments or more time spent on them?

Cosplay and Sewing are two different hobbies. One does not require the other... any more than cosplaying and makeup or cosplaying and wig-styling or cosplaying and photography MUST be paired.

I don't need to justify my disinterest, unwillingness or inability to do something you can. And my not doing it doesn't make you any better than I am. If you want to believe that it does and that helps you feel better about yourself: cool. Whatever it takes to motivate yourself.

But I very much dislike when people decide that their experience is the ONLY valid experience and that their talents ought to be valued above the talents of others.

Yes, if I apply myself, I can make a costume. But it'll take me eight-times as long without a sewing machine and will be maybe half as good as someone who has interest or talent in sewing. It will frustrate me, it will eat several months of my life, and it will result in me missing the chance to participate in several events I want to in the meantime. In the end I will be under no more illusion that I "can sew" than I'm under now. Yes, I can thread a needle, alter clothing and sew on buttons: it does not mean I "can sew". Any more than my ability to play chopsticks on the piano means "I can play the piano".

On the convers, if you apply yourself and spend enough time and/or money: you can learn Japanese, hold down multiple jobs, raise kids, run a small business, style wigs, do makeup, become a professional photographer, build websites, write skits, run events, sing, dance, pose, model, draw your own comics, become an animator or a base-jumper...

But why?

To prove that you're just as good as everyone else who can?

Not everyone wants the same thing, has the same talents, the same time or the same resources. They are not "mediocre". They are different.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 08-27-2010 at 10:49 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #12637
Firefly026
Everybody get dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevTehFiend View Post
Where are you leaving it to dry? If it's too cold or humid then it will take much longer to dry.
Well dang. I live in the south, so it's like 96 degrees with 90% humidity lol. So it's bot safe anywhere TTATT
But I turned down the AC so it should be fine.
-Momocon 2014
Upcoming Cosplays:
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #12638
Nayara
Bonny-chan

You know what? Another pet peeve is THIS discussion about buying cosplays or making them. *sighs* I know it'll never stop and I won't engage any further in this (the discussion seems to be over anyway), but I do understand Chocolahime's point.
And a whole bunch of people teaming up against one person is never nice.

@Firefly026
I had the same problem once. >< Perhaps some clear coat?
Nayara is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #12639
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

My current pet peeve is how animator's reference sketches, while AWESOME USEFUL, usually only ever show front and back. SIDE DETAILS. I NEED SIDE DETAILS.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #12640
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Quote:
Well dang. I live in the south, so it's like 96 degrees with 90% humidity lol. So it's bot safe anywhere TTATT
But I turned down the AC so it should be fine.
Same here (you don't get much more south than Florida XD), I'm lucky I did all my spray painting before it got humid. On most cans of paint it will warn you against spraying and stuff in humid settings. Hope I helped. ^^

Completed:

In Progress:
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #12641
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayara View Post
You know what? Another pet peeve is THIS discussion about buying cosplays or making them. *sighs* I know it'll never stop and I won't engage any further in this (the discussion seems to be over anyway), but I do understand Chocolahime's point.
And a whole bunch of people teaming up against one person is never nice.
I do too, I just disagree with it. I don't think there is anything wrong with discussion and no one is teaming up. A bunch of people did get offended though and felt the need to make their own point on the matter. The discussion isn't about making your costume versus buying, but more so she was calling people lazy basically saying they were lying when they say, "I can't sew." and then saying, "That's not what it means, they should say something different."

Who cares what their choice of words are? What does it matter to anyone if someone CAN'T sew? Who cares WHY they buy their costumes? It was a poor choice on her end to call people out after a bunch of people had said, "I wish I could make my own costumes, but I can't sew."

Getting back on topic for me beacuse I think I've made my own point. I'd just like to add to Chocolahime that you shouldn't stop posting your opinions. No one was saying they were not valid and though I do respect your right to free speech, just maybe think about your timing and wording a little better because even though I CAN sew, I felt offended because there are a lot of other things, when it comes to cosplay, that I really can't do, and I'm sure there are some that you can't either and I don't appreciate being called lazy, or it being insinuated that I just don't try hard enough or care as much as the people who can.

Cosplay Pet Peeve: People who think they are better than otherss because they dress up to conventions and other people don't. When did it become 'cool' and 'in' to play dress up in public? 0.o Aren't we, like, known for being huge geeks?

Completed:

In Progress:
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #12642
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Quote:
Cosplay Pet Peeve: People who think they are better than otherss because they dress up to conventions and other people don't. When did it become 'cool' and 'in' to play dress up in public? 0.o Aren't we, like, known for being huge geeks?
Touching on the last part since something has happened recently with a friend of mine that really pisses me off: I truly, truly hate it when cosplayers resort to backstabbing of other cosplayers, even those within their own cosplay group. When you've known each other for years on end and have worked and played together for years, there should never be any kind of dispecable behavior like what I've just discovered about what's going on towards my friend. In this community, we're all geeks in one way or another. If you want to make it a professional business, go right ahead. More power to you! But NEVER at the expense of another, of a DEAR FRIEND! Maybe I'm just too naive or idealistic, but I still believe that integrity and respect mean something in the world (or at least should). [/rant]
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #12643
PuzzleChick
Resident Puzzleshipper

Let's see...

- Not having a good craft store around. We have a Ben Franklin's, but it's small and if the fabric/supplies I need aren't there? It means going online and risking ordering something that turns out not to be what I needed. I'm particularly concerned about my next cosplay, which would require a color of fabric that I don't think I can get at the BF's here. Eep.

- People who criticize without being constructive. Someone commented on a picture of a cosplay of mine saying my body type was wrong for the character and that I looked anorexic and like a 12-year-old. They then proceeded to follow me to devART and comment there as well on how I look. Yes, I'm skinny. Yes, I'm short. I do look young. I'm not a tall, handsome man and therefore it's true that cosplaying as a tall guy probably isn't going to come out perfect. I specifically said I'm very new to cosplaying and that even though the costume wasn't great, I had a ton of fun. I love the character and enjoyed wearing the costume. The person didn't care. All they cared about was telling me how bad it looked on me. Apparently having fun isn't okay anymore or something. The sad thing is now I feel insecure about making another costume.

- Not having space to work. My room is about as stuffed full of stuff as possible and I have no empty table space, which means having to migrate out to the living room for projects. Which wouldn't be so bad if my dad wasn't here. But he is, and anytime I'm working on a cosplay out of my room he uses the opportunity to demand why I'm making said costume if I don't make any money off cosplaying. It gets annoying. Can't I have a hobby just for fun?!

- This is mostly my fault, but the fact that all the characters I want to cosplay as are from little-known series. xD I want to go to a con and be able to take pictures with people who are dressed as characters from the same series! It's kind of lonely, being the only person from Series XYZ. Darn me and my love of obscure manga!
Black Rose Witch (Yugioh 5Ds) (remake)

Be excellent to each other.
PuzzleChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #12644
Harra Arial
Phoenix Wright Fanatic

Quote:
I don't think not being able to sew is a good excuse for not making your cosplay. If you really wanted to make it you would learn and work and grow just like any skill. Say you are lazy, say you'd rather not spend the time on it, say you just like to wear costumes and don't care about the construction, say anything else. Good whatever it's just something that is supposed to be fun and doesn't make you any less of a cosplayer... but none of this 'I can't sew' bullshit. If you really wanted to make your costumes you would.
I'm going to sound a little rude, but people like you are my current peeve.

I can sew, but my pattern drafting is terrible, so when I can get away with 'found' items, or modding, I sure as heck will. Besides that, I've done some amazing Closet Cosplays for my boyfriend that turn heads time and time again. (Alternate outfit for Kefka Palazzo, and Arkham Asylum's Scarecrow. Kefka was almost exclusively closet, and Scarecrow was modded to all heck.)

Both costumes are Con-quality, and well made, dispite not being 100% Accurate (Well, Scarecrow's pretty close). The costumes are recognizable as their character, and people still want pictures, so we must be doing something right.

Now, I wouldn't go into a craftmanship contest with these costumes, since they're not 100% Handmade (or even 80%, or whatever the requirements are.) That just wouldn't be honest.

However, you seem to forget that non-handmade costumes can be good. Some people commission, and a lot of us just don't have the time to sew. (I know between school, performing, and my budding social life that I don't have the time, I can't imagine how others would.)

So please, put a little thought into what you say. And there really are some people who just can't sew. Trust me, I had to teach a class full of them in Skills for Living. Good costumes can come from just about anywhere, trust me.

That being said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
And why is it that making your own costume is valued so much more than styling your own wigs, doing your own makeup, building photography skills or learning to pose/network.
I'd like to know this as well. I know some amazing wig crafters, and no one gives them the time of day. Or the fact that I can near-flawlessly apply my boyfriend's Kefka makeup in 10-20 minutes (considering that's full whiteface with several little details in the red, yeeeaaah. You start to get really good after applying it five or so times.)

Really, I think all aspects of a costume should be noted, not just the costume itself. I mean heck, my boyfriend's Kefka is bright and fun (although not quite as accurate, but it IS something Keffie would wear, I made darned sure of that!) The makeup is what really draws people's attention. (Or, yanno, the giant feather sticking out of his hair.)

That, my dears, is why life is so exciting, because we are different from one-another.

~~~

Care to get in contact with me?
HarraArial@yahoo.com
Drop me an Instant Messenge, I'd be honoured to speak with you~

Last edited by Harra Arial : 08-28-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Harra Arial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #12645
Firefly026
Everybody get dangerous

Quote:
Same here (you don't get much more south than Florida XD), I'm lucky I did all my spray painting before it got humid. On most cans of paint it will warn you against spraying and stuff in humid settings. Hope I helped. ^^
Oh man, you got me beat. I'm in South Georgia, so I'm just sitting above you, lol.
Yeah I didn't realize I'd be making a prop until about a week ago, so not too much time to beat the humidity.... unfortunately OTL
I'll remember that next time.

And thanks a bunch Nayara, I'll be looking for that stuff when I go out later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzleChick View Post

- People who criticize without being constructive. Someone commented on a picture of a cosplay of mine saying my body type was wrong for the character and that I looked anorexic and like a 12-year-old. They then proceeded to follow me to devART and comment there as well on how I look. Yes, I'm skinny. Yes, I'm short. I do look young. I'm not a tall, handsome man and therefore it's true that cosplaying as a tall guy probably isn't going to come out perfect. I specifically said I'm very new to cosplaying and that even though the costume wasn't great, I had a ton of fun. I love the character and enjoyed wearing the costume. The person didn't care. All they cared about was telling me how bad it looked on me. Apparently having fun isn't okay anymore or something. The sad thing is now I feel insecure about making another costume.
Awe :[ it's all good, don't let rude people ruin your experience. It is about having fun, and that person is just... lame. I looked at your photos and thought you looked adorable, so I mean, some people just like being rude.
Don't let it get you down XD

Peeve: Not being able to finish said prop :[ IT'S SO CLOSE TO BEING FINISHED!
-Momocon 2014
Upcoming Cosplays:

Last edited by Firefly026 : 08-28-2010 at 11:35 AM.