Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #12631
SuperRabbit
Sweet Strawberry Hearts~
 
SuperRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31
With almost 900 pages, I'm sure my peeves have been mentioned.
But hey~! Why not. :3

My biggest, Is when people dress up as the most popular mass charectors,
Like naruto. AND DONT PUT ANY EFFORT. They just do it because its popular.
Now, My first cosplay was an ebay bought Kazekage Gaara.
But it was accurate, And i genuinly love the show and him. ;P

Another, Really amazing cosplays, But the person wearing them are totally ASSHOLES.
I dont know if i can say that on these boards, But i will. xD
Like this one girl at sakuracon this year.
She has huuuge blue wings,
Her whole cosplay was beautiful.
I sat by a window next to her waiting for my friends.
As people were taking her picture, She was yelling at her mother rudely.
The whole time.

And lastly, Using wrong materials/colors.
Especially too BRIGHT colors, Or SATIN.
SuperRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #12632
ChibiBear
Registered User
 
ChibiBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,999
My pet peeve at the moment is when every single picture of the character's costume looks different >_<
__________________
MelCosPho 9 October 2011
Sucker Punch - Babydoll - 80%

Beach Meet December 2011
Nagasarete Airantou - Suzu - 5%

Togainu no Chi Photoshoot
Togainu no Chi - Rin - 95%

Higurashi Photoshoot January 2011
Higurashi - Ryuugu Rena - 10%

Supanova(?) 2012 2012
Puella Magi Madoka Magika - Mami - 20%
ChibiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #12633
Yukikittie
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolahime View Post
I don't think not being able to sew is a good excuse for not making your cosplay. If you really wanted to make it you would learn and work and grow just like any skill. Say you are lazy, say you'd rather not spend the time on it, say you just like to wear costumes and don't care about the construction, say anything else. Good whatever it's just something that is supposed to be fun and doesn't make you any less of a cosplayer... but none of this 'I can't sew' bullshit. If you really wanted to make your costumes you would.
Well yeah, you of course can always learn how to sew. I'm going to learn how to sew my America costume, (Dear god help me.) but I think the main point was that just because people buy their costumes, it doesn't make them any more or less of a cosplayer. Sure people who make them are probably more involved, but you're still just a cosplayer, you aren't anymore superior to the next cosplayer.
But then of course there are reasons why people don't make them, or take the time to learn how to sew, and I think the major one is time. There are people who are really busy with jobs, family, or school, and just don't have enough time to make them. Instead they get them commissioned or bought, which is fine and dandy.
BUT YUS, this whole topic has probably been repeated over and over, sorry for bringing it back with my post, I was just very angry with what the guy said.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #12634
Yukikittie
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harra Arial View Post
(considering that's full whiteface with several little details in the red, yeeeaaah. )
(Or, yanno, the giant feather sticking out of his hair.)
Okay, this cosplay sounds jolly and super amazing.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #12635
Axelai
I'm Awesome
 
Axelai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBear View Post
My pet peeve at the moment is when every single picture of the character's costume looks different >_<
Dear god, i'm having the same problem. Why is EVERY PICTURE OF KAMINA DIFFERENT?! From his hairstyle, to his cape, to the color of his pants... even from action figure to action figure, they're different X_____X;; So i'm going with what looks best... even if some people will disagree :'| He looks like this in... one or two episodes. Before the artists decide to change his color scheme. Then again. And again... and again...

Not to mention Elyse from Oretama. Who changes color from chapter to chapter.
__________________
Upcoming Conventions:
SacAnime, Anime LA, Anime Conji

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #12636
XxsetsuhenxX
moyashi
 
XxsetsuhenxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 223
idk if this is weird considering im newer to cosplay but when people put no effort into wigs and they look nothing like the characters real hair DX

that and people who are like oh your not tall enough or your costume color is slightly different or your makeup is not enough. people who nitpick at little things when the overall cosplay could be amazing
__________________
Signature too large.
Please see here for assistance.
XxsetsuhenxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #12637
Axelai
I'm Awesome
 
Axelai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,404
Recent one of mine... people cosplaying a token fanservice character, then making big changes to the costume to make it less... revealing. I understand some changes, if its REALLY bad. But... making Yoko bikinis that are practically sports bras, shorts that are practically swim trunks, and then tights rather than knee highs to cover your thighs... If you're REALLY that uncomfortable with your body, then don't cosplay a character who wears something so tiny :\ And if you love the character, she has two other outfits that are completely not revealing (Timeskip outfit she has a jacket and tall boots, and episode 5 she wears a White Mage coat). So really... don't cosplay the fanservice character if you're going to make huge changes to the costumes to cover up :\

Now, thats not to say if you did one of those but kept the others. its just when i see the combo of them all that it gets a little silly...
__________________
Upcoming Conventions:
SacAnime, Anime LA, Anime Conji

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #12638
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic
 
DevTehFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
Recent one of mine... people cosplaying a token fanservice character, then making big changes to the costume to make it less... revealing. I understand some changes, if its REALLY bad. But... making Yoko bikinis that are practically sports bras, shorts that are practically swim trunks, and then tights rather than knee highs to cover your thighs... If you're REALLY that uncomfortable with your body, then don't cosplay a character who wears something so tiny :\ And if you love the character, she has two other outfits that are completely not revealing (Timeskip outfit she has a jacket and tall boots, and episode 5 she wears a White Mage coat). So really... don't cosplay the fanservice character if you're going to make huge changes to the costumes to cover up :\

Now, thats not to say if you did one of those but kept the others. its just when i see the combo of them all that it gets a little silly...
I have to agree with this. -_- If you feel comfortable enough to wear for the character then you should feel comfortable enough not to make too many changes. For most things I think you CAN edit the cut of it to be more flattering to your specific body type, but, and using Axelai's example, with characters like Yoko... there's no cut to change really. it's a bikini top and short shorts. I can understand making the bikini slightly bigger to cover more, but it's a specific type of bikini, don't change the entire shape of it. (And actually, making that type of bikini a size bigger than you think you need DOES make it look more flattering for some chests. I was buying a bathing suit with that exact cut, and though I was only a B at the time I ended up getting the D sized top because in the end it was more flattering to me JUST because it covered a little more.)
__________________
"It's my mother's gun, it's always loaded."

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #12639
Axelai
I'm Awesome
 
Axelai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevTehFiend View Post
I have to agree with this. -_- If you feel comfortable enough to wear for the character then you should feel comfortable enough not to make too many changes. For most things I think you CAN edit the cut of it to be more flattering to your specific body type, but, and using Axelai's example, with characters like Yoko... there's no cut to change really. it's a bikini top and short shorts. I can understand making the bikini slightly bigger to cover more, but it's a specific type of bikini, don't change the entire shape of it. (And actually, making that type of bikini a size bigger than you think you need DOES make it look more flattering for some chests. I was buying a bathing suit with that exact cut, and though I was only a B at the time I ended up getting the D sized top because in the end it was more flattering to me JUST because it covered a little more.)
Well, i admit i made one small change when i cosplayed her. I made the bikini a normal bikini, rather than a tinier one to make my boobs fall out the bottom. But thats because i lacked any sort of cup size (*cries*) and the smaller one... looked like my boobs were high up on my chest XD Since the effect of boobs falling out the bottom didn't work for a flat chest.

I did see a cosplayer (i wont say the con to embarass her or anything) who did everything i said there. Her top was so big, she barely had cleavage showing. Her shorts were super long... and she had tights on to cover her legs. All my friends commented that she shouldn't cosplay Yoko unless she's more comfortable with her body. Because it was obvious she wasn't. If you're going to cosplay her... you need to be comfortable with it.

As for the shorts... i wore shorts as tiny as Yoko's. I felt a little weird with my ass hanging out, but i knew i had to do it to be accurate. This girl's shorts were almost to her knees. It was a little ridiculous.

I really understand making small changes to make a costume flattering. Like a slightly different wig color to go with your skintone, or with Yoko, what i did with the bikini top. But really... if you're going to go cosplay the character that was made for fanservice, don't go changing it until its barely recognizable. Just cosplay one of her other outfits, or cosplay someone else.
__________________
Upcoming Conventions:
SacAnime, Anime LA, Anime Conji

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #12640
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic
 
DevTehFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
Well, i admit i made one small change when i cosplayed her. I made the bikini a normal bikini, rather than a tinier one to make my boobs fall out the bottom. But thats because i lacked any sort of cup size (*cries*) and the smaller one... looked like my boobs were high up on my chest XD Since the effect of boobs falling out the bottom didn't work for a flat chest.

I did see a cosplayer (i wont say the con to embarass her or anything) who did everything i said there. Her top was so big, she barely had cleavage showing. Her shorts were super long... and she had tights on to cover her legs. All my friends commented that she shouldn't cosplay Yoko unless she's more comfortable with her body. Because it was obvious she wasn't. If you're going to cosplay her... you need to be comfortable with it.

As for the shorts... i wore shorts as tiny as Yoko's. I felt a little weird with my ass hanging out, but i knew i had to do it to be accurate. This girl's shorts were almost to her knees. It was a little ridiculous.

I really understand making small changes to make a costume flattering. Like a slightly different wig color to go with your skintone, or with Yoko, what i did with the bikini top. But really... if you're going to go cosplay the character that was made for fanservice, don't go changing it until its barely recognizable. Just cosplay one of her other outfits, or cosplay someone else.
Yeah, and that's basically what I meant. Somethings even NEED to be changed, just because somethings can't be done in reality XD and I can understand really liking a character, but I have to agree that if you aren't comfortable showing as much skin as the character does then you should pick a different outfit. That's like, there are some regular clothes that I really like, but I would never wear them because they're either unflattering on me or I just wouldn't feel comfortable enough with myself that it would look bad regardless.

I think the main point is to know your limits. If you have to make more than three noticeable changes then it's probably not the cosplay for you and you should chose something else.

Not that this is one of my peeves, I just agree that it's a little bizarre.
__________________
"It's my mother's gun, it's always loaded."

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #12641
Chirudesu
Flash Goddess Chiru
 
Chirudesu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 587
Angled myspacey cosplay pictures.

I get a simple headshot that you held yourself, but those overhead shots with part of your arm showing or you standing in your bathroom mirror with the awkward flash looks silly. But I won't judge...I guess some people don't have somoene else to hold the camera for them at the moment.
__________________
Sakura-Con 2012:
Yoruichi Shihouin - Bleach (100%)


私の世界 夢と恋と不安で出来てる。。。
Chirudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #12642
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.
 
Flora88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,417
^ LOL
Or duckfaced pics (in general as well as cosplay.)
__________________
Lady Kurenai

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #12643
The Desert Rose
Cosplayer : Level 3
 
The Desert Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 199
Cosplay groups..... I'm not saying i despise meeting people at cons and hanging out with them but when I bring some friends there is always people who are in the group ( as in my friends) that don't get along or are extremely annoying.

That's why we have the buddy system folks so i don't have to deal with the annoying friends XD
The Desert Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #12644
PandaClown
Be very afraid.
 
PandaClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 546
For god sakes. Ask me for a picture. I can see you, you know that right? I know you're getting a picture of me, and I know as entertaining as it is to see a zombie with a french fry in her mouth, or a stupid look on her face, I'd greatly appreciate it if you took the few seconds it takes to ask me so I don't look like an idiot in your photo. I will pose for you. I've been doing it all day, trust me, it's no skin off my back. If I didn't want to pose for a picture, I wouldn't dress up.
__________________
Anime North 2011
Cyborg Noodle- Gorillaz- 95%
Monkey- Monkey: Journey to the West- 5%
Undecided.
PandaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #12645
kiratsukai
culture shocked
 
kiratsukai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,798
Smoking, swearing, or doing sexual stuff in costume while dressed as a children's character at an all-ages event...

Comiket's smoking area is always depressing... but there's something especially depressing about it when Snow White, Ponyo and the Pretty Cure girls are in there Please smoke only in designated smoking areas, and even then try to remember that you're dressed as a 6 year-old's idol! Move to the back of the room, cover up, do something... little kids are watching you and some of the smaller ones think you ARE the character you're dressed as.

A little piece of me dies inside every time anpanman takes a drag.

Adults-only events are different. PLEASE drink and smoke all you like when you're around people old enough to see the humor/irony in it.
__________________
Basement Sale: Touhou: Mokou costume, clearfiles/shitajiki, NeoRomance/Angelique artbook, etc.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Jewel McCloud
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Copyright 2002-2017 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.