Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #12766
tunesonatuesday
Wonder Aficionado

I have a bit of a pet peeve, but it doesn't make me angry so makes as it makes me disappointed.

When someone has a really good costume but a terrible wig it makes me upset. Not angry, I know it's not their fault, a lot of people aren't good with wigs, but it makes me really disappointed to see a good costume ruined by a bad wig, or sometimes no wig at all.

I want to run up to that person and go "I WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD WIG, PLEASE LET ME!" Especially for characters with iconic hair, like Kotoko from Chobits. I saw a girl once with a great cosplay, but her hair in a ponytail, and it made me sad.

Though it does bug me a lot when people don't put their hair up properly under wigs. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, so all our cons are kinda small-time and we don't have a lot of very skilled cosplayers in the area (though we do have some amazing ones, don't get me wrong) The last con I went to people just braided their hair and stuck it under the wig with hair sticking out all over and I was like *twitch twitch*

I just really think wigs/hair can make or break a cosplay.
Hirasawa Yui [Uniform] (K-On!) - 60%
Hirasawa Yui [Don't Say Lazy] (K-On!) - Planning
Miroku (InuYasha) - 95%
Imp Midna (Twilight Princess) - 40%

Cons: Animaritime 2012 and Hal-con 2012
tunesonatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #12767
kingselite
Game Developer

People, i really hate people.

i don't mean this in terms of being anti-social cause i like being at cons and around everyone else, enjoying the events, dances, masquarade and whatnot, but a lot of people on an individual basis make me very angry.

my best example of this, is a bought a cosplay costume from a friend, it was very well made, looked as if you had reached into your tv and stole the cloths right off his body. lol. when people asked if i made it myself, i was very honest saying "no i bought it from a friend who hand makes cosplay costumes" and most of the time i was met with stupid egotistical remarks like "oh you didn't make it yourself, its not that good" or "well i made mine myself, cya"

what the hell, i cosplay for fun and i don't really care much for other people opinions but when they ask for my picture then get in my face cause i didn't make it myself, that bugs me.
kingselite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #12768
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingselite View Post
People, i really hate people.

i don't mean this in terms of being anti-sociable cause i like being at cons and around everyone else, enjoying the events, dances, masquarade and whatnot, but a lot of people on an individual basis make me very angry.
Fixed.
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #12769
BrokenShinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Machete View Post
Thats exactly what i hate. Dont be rude to someone because you dont like the character theyre portraying.

When I cosplayed orochimaru, everyone hated me and was mean to me and ignored me because they didnt like him, they even verbally assaulted me saying I suck and im a fag and things like that. There's no reason to treat a person badly because of their costume.
I think if I saw you cosplaying Orochimaru, I'd just stand there clapping and laughing from uber delight. He's such a creeper, but he's an awesome creeper

Oh, one of my pet peeves: I hate when people don't spend any money or effort and other people in the group do, and then get all depressed and angry when people don't recognize them or want to take their pictures. Yes, personal experience. My friend did that, and ruined most of the day with her moping.
BrokenShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #12770
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I said this before, but after my last con, I'll repeat myself:

If you ask for a cosplayer's photo, wait for them to put on their entire costume. I wear gloves/hats/other cumbersome things for a few costumes, and it irks me to no end when a person snaps a pic of me while I'm still putting on said items. I don't take off accessories unless I'm sitting down and resting, so while I'll always get up for a fan, just give two seconds to adjust before you click and scamper off. Please!
My handmade fandom plush

Next event: ???
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #12771
juusanbantaigrr

People who bash other cosplayers in their hearing range. I once took a picture of a girl; she walked away, and these other two girls next to me started bashing her costume, going "oh, she bought it from such-and-such", "Yeah, so lame, and look her wig's shiny" that sort of thing. And she could hear them the entire time. I felt bad for her

"I'm a goddamn marvel of modern cosplay!"
juusanbantaigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #12772
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Okay, i have a new one. Someone who can't pronounce the name right OF THE CHARACTER THEY'RE COSPLAYING.

Argue with me all day long on a random character name's pronunciation, but really... if you're COSPLAYING said character, get the name right. You should know enough about the character by now to pronounce the name right.

"Yeah, i'm cosplaying VAIral from Gurren Lagann!"

"...its pronounced Veeral..."

"Really?"

Or even worse, people who cosplay a character they don't even know the name of. Always sucks to ask someone who they're cosplaying, and get a shrug in response.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #12773
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Rose View Post
People mention often that they dislike having photo's taken without being asked/at least warned and I never really thought about it being a problem since no one has asked me for photo's at an inappropriate time, like when I'm eating or in line for the bathroom or something. Then after my most recent con I was looking through gallery's for pix of myself and found one that had been taken without me knowing and... it looks really cool :C since I wasn't posing I didn't have a goofy look on my face and I was walking so my costume and hair billowed nicely. So...yeah hahaha, thing's are funny like that.
Haha, that's kind of cool that you found a nice pic like that.

Speaking of pics while eating... At my last con someone asked for a photo when I was getting snacks. In the middle of drinking my bottle of juice someone ran up and was like "Hold that pose!" LOL So I continued drinking my juice, they took the pic and went on their way. Except they didn't show me the pic before they left and I've looked all over for it and can't find it.

So please people, if you have a digital camera, show the cosplayer how the photo turned out before you run off. (hey, maybe we want a copy too!)
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #12774
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEYOashley View Post
@ Speckles: I don't think that's entirely fair. Some people are horrible at posing (including me) and we have the skill for sewing a costume, but not the photogenic skills :P

Maybe help out a cosplayer and offer some advice on a pose, like "I think you could show off so-and-so prop by holding it like this" etc
This thread is a really helpful guide:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=215252

I remember reading another one years ago by HanyaanFaerie (or however it was spelled), but I have no idea how to go about looking for it. I wish I could, because both tutorials cover slightly different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
Okay, i have a new one. Someone who can't pronounce the name right OF THE CHARACTER THEY'RE COSPLAYING.

Argue with me all day long on a random character name's pronunciation, but really... if you're COSPLAYING said character, get the name right. You should know enough about the character by now to pronounce the name right.
I think this stems from manga scans and fansubs changing spellings paired with the fact that native Japanese speakers tend to have a lot of trouble pronouncing certain sounds in English.

Lets use Lavi from D.Gray-Man as an example.
Before the anime came out people were using at least 5 different ways to spell his name, all of which resulted in different pronunciations. Lavi, Ravi, Rabi, Labi, etc. I was always partial to Lavi. I dunno why, I just like the way it sounds.
After the anime came out in Japan, it really went down to a split of people who thought his name was Lavi or Rabi, because depending on which character was saying the name and whose fansubs you watched you got a different result.
But now that the dub is out, more people call him Lavi because that's the official name that funimation chose (I win, haha). You still get people who use some of the old names, but Lavi seems to be the "right" one now.

See what I mean? So it's possible that by saying Virals name wrong, they're assuming that it's actually said the way it's spelled in English and that the Japanese just had a weird way of pronouncing it. Hell, I thought Simon was really supposed to be SImon and not SEEmon for a long time before I saw the dub.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #12775
Firefly026
Everybody get dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuoi_kaze View Post

Before the anime came out people were using at least 5 different ways to spell his name, all of which resulted in different pronunciations. Lavi, Ravi, Rabi, Labi, etc. I was always partial to Lavi. I dunno why, I just like the way it sounds.
After the anime came out in Japan, it really went down to a split of people who thought his name was Lavi or Rabi, because depending on which character was saying the name and whose fansubs you watched you got a different result.
But now that the dub is out, more people call him Lavi because that's the official name that funimation chose (I win, haha). You still get people who use some of the old names, but Lavi seems to be the "right" one now.

See what I mean? So it's possible that by saying Virals name wrong, they're assuming that it's actually said the way it's spelled in English and that the Japanese just had a weird way of pronouncing it. Hell, I thought Simon was really supposed to be SImon and not SEEmon for a long time before I saw the dub.
This.
Unread 09-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #12776
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuoi_kaze View Post
I think this stems from manga scans and fansubs changing spellings paired with the fact that native Japanese speakers tend to have a lot of trouble pronouncing certain sounds in English.

Yeah, but if they're in love with the character enough to cosplay them, they should at LEAST do the research, you know? Its forgiveable if you're just a fan who doesn't know the right way. Its another thing entirely to be devoted enough to cosplay them... and not know how to pronounce it. It just irks me, you know?

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #12777
PandaClown
Be very afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell-chan View Post
I said this before, but after my last con, I'll repeat myself:

If you ask for a cosplayer's photo, wait for them to put on their entire costume. I wear gloves/hats/other cumbersome things for a few costumes, and it irks me to no end when a person snaps a pic of me while I'm still putting on said items. I don't take off accessories unless I'm sitting down and resting, so while I'll always get up for a fan, just give two seconds to adjust before you click and scamper off. Please!
Holy crap, I can never stress how much this irks me. I wear finger extensions and teeth for my Witch costume, and I has so many bloody people taking a picture of me when I had my fingers off and my teeth out eating fries. Seriously? It's damn rude to get a running picture of me when I'm stuffing my face with food, never mind when I haven't even got the bloody costume on. I swear, if you ask, then I'll stop eating, take my time to glue the fingers back on, just to pose for you. You can be on your way with a good picture, and I can continue stuffing my face.
I had this happen so many times at my last convention, it was so irritating it wasn't even funny.
Undecided.
PandaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #12778
kingselite
Game Developer

Quote:
Yeah, but if they're in love with the character enough to cosplay them, they should at LEAST do the research, you know? Its forgiveable if you're just a fan who doesn't know the right way. Its another thing entirely to be devoted enough to cosplay them... and not know how to pronounce it. It just irks me, you know?
i've cosplayed a character from a series and didn't even know the name of the series. happens from time to time by way of friend (or in my case ex girlfriend) had me cosplay that specific character to compliment thier character as a pairing. most of the time though, when people shrug its usually cause they don't want to be bothered chatting with people. i get that a lot cause i'm a chatter. lol.
kingselite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #12779
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:

I'd rather they pronounce it incorrectly if they can't speak the language the name comes from. Yeah, it's wrong, but at least it's honest.

I already have to deal with enough fans who like the anime media and give themselves 'airs' when pronouncing words or names in japanese. Their intonation changes, the way they speak changes, they even try to simulate the accent.

...but after all that, they can't speak a lick of japanese anyway.

Making an effort is fine, but don't think it makes you all that hot...
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #12780
Yukikittie

Quote:

"Yeah, i'm cosplaying VAIral from Gurren Lagann!"

"...its pronounced Veeral..."

"Really?"

Or even worse, people who cosplay a character they don't even know the name of. Always sucks to ask someone who they're cosplaying, and get a shrug in response.
Unfortunately, I have to defend those people, because I am one of them. ^^;
My pronunciation has always been bad, even after I have had speech therapy, it can be really hard to say anime characters names right. Especially when I cosplayed as Teto Kasane....I always thought it was "TEH-TOE", but apparently it's "TAI-TOE."
Kinda confusing....
EDIT: Ah! I didn't know so many people replied to your comment! I'm sorry, I'm not offended at all though! I just wanted to share my opinion!

Last edited by Yukikittie : 09-14-2010 at 06:56 PM.