Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Germany

Unread 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Lycoris

Anime Convention near Erlangen

I have a sister who lives in Erlangen and wanted to take her to a German convention to see what it's like. So I thought I'd ask the experts-

What's the best anime convention in Germany?
Are there any conventions close to Erlangen?

And are the anime conventions in Germany cosplay-friendly?

Feel free to add in any other information I should know before going.

Thanks!
Lycoris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #2
Isadora

Well I started cosplay last year, so my experience may be limited. The two main (means biggest) conventions are Animagic (July in Bonn) and Connichi (September in Kassel) I guess both of them are almost same distance from Erlangen. There are two main Bookfairs (Frankfurt, Autumn and Leipzig March) where there is Cosplay, too. The nearest convention may be Conekko which is in May in Ludwigshafen which should easily be reachable by train.

I have visited Animagic and Connichi and I liked both of them. It may depand on the expectations of you sister and what she likes to do there: cosplay, some showacts, byuing stuff... How old is she?

There are some people arguing about Germany beeing cosplay friendly and how far. As far as I am concerned I always met friendly people there, although there seems to be some competition between some cosplayers, too.

Hope this might help a little, feel free to ask for more.
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
Lycoris

Thanks for the help!

My sister and her husband are around 30 and they have a kid around 2 years old. They haven't seen too much anime and they've never been to a convention before and don't know what to expect.

I'm really the one who does all the cosplay and conventions, but even though my sister isn't into anime she thinks it would be fun to cosplay with me. We probably won't do anything special- check out the cosplays, events, and socialize (unlike me, they both speak fluent german)

I've only been to conventions in the US and there have always been alot of cosplayers. I can't wait to attend one in Germany! I just have to see how far my sister is willing to drive!

Out of curiosity... how many people usually attend? Is cosplay common there? And what type of events do they usually have?
Unread 02-02-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
Isadora

You are welcome! I will try to answer:

Well, at Animagic and Connichi there are a lot of Cosplayers. Animagic (beeing Europe's biggest convention) last year officially had about 11.000 visitors on three days altogehter (not all of them cosplayers of course but I guess round about 40-50%?). Animagic and Connichi do have a lot of programm such as shows, workshops, dealer's area, movies, games and cosplay contest. They both are 3 days but Saturday ist the day most people attend. But you need tickets! For Animagic you only can obtain the with a special blank which should be included in the Animania Magazine which is released end of february (see www.animania.de) and connichi tickets can be ordered at www.connichi.de. There is also a german website www.animexx.de where you can see pictures and so on.

The smaller conventions also have similar programm but not so wide.

So if you have further questions, please do ask. If you know, when and where to attend we might meet each other. And don't be afraid alsmost everybody will be able to talk to you in English!
Unread 02-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Lycoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora
If you know, when and where to attend we might meet each other. And don't be afraid alsmost everybody will be able to talk to you in English!
Awesome!

I will definitely post here once I make definite plans! Hopefully I will be able to pull some costumes together by then that I can take on the plane with me. So far all of my costumes are too large to take on a plane with the wings and giant heads and all... 0_o a shame really because I love doing cosplays like that.

Glad to hear that a lot of people speak English there. I was worried I'd have to rely on my poor Japanese skills- it wouldn't be the first time. ^_^
Unread 02-03-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Liriel
Lurker

Cosplayers are a pretty multilingual bunch of people. *g*

If you intend to go to the AnimagiC you should keep in mind that it is sold out extremely fast! Last year the tickets for a con package (3 days attendance) were sold out within four or five weeks IIRC.
Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #7
Mond-chan
the littel moon

hmpff warum macht man eigentlich immer werbung für animexx und deren con´s ?

Hello,
sry my english is a littel bad scool english ^^ a Convention just in time is in Ludwigshafen in SouthGermany in month May with 27 - 28.05.2006

Information for this Convention u can look with www.conneko.de
This convetion coast for 1 Day 6,00 € u can order a comlete Weekend ticket with 15,oo € this is a advanced 50% offer for 15,00 € u become a con Package wit a T-shirt,the mangazine ( magazine) and a goody ( dvd, gasphon or other goody )

More Info´s need u can writting in the Forum www.animate.at or me here via PN or per mail lightwizzard@animate.at

allgem. mal an die lieben anderen hier. Wäre nett wenn ihr nicht immer nur die Standard Con´s nennt auch kleine con´s haben es mal verdient ( conneko is zumal die dritt grösste zu dem günstigste ) mit zu erwähnen. Nur weils Animexx nich mehr is, find ich das ziemlich dämlich diesen kleinkrieg immer noch aufrecht zu erhalten.

jaa mata ne!
Mond
Unread 02-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #8
Isadora

@ Mond-chan: Im my first thread I also mentioned Conneko being one of the next and nearest Conventions.... I haven't been there yet so I am not able to write a detailed description.
Unread 02-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Lycoris

Thanks for all your advice and I like hearing people's opinions too!

Yes. I know the feeling about small conventions (small-Anime USA vs. large-Otakon). Some of the best conventions I've been to were small ones, but I haven't met a convention I didn't like. Although, if I go this year I'd rather attend Animagic because July is more convenient for me. But if it doesn't work out, I might try for Conneko next year instead.