Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 02-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Hyura
Wallflower

Suggestions?

Now that I've becoming more interested in cosplaying I've also become more interested in taking pictures. I haven't gotten a new camera for about 5 years, and I certainly have never touched a digital one before. I know very little about digitals but I've decided that it would be more convenient and smart to buy one instead of a disposable.

I'm no photographer and I have no interest in becoming one, but I would still like to have pictures for those rare occassions that I do go cosplaying. The problem is, it seems that only cameras over $200 are worth buying (or so I've been told). I, however, am only willing to spend up to $30... -maybe- $40 or $50 at the most. But preferably something $30 or below. I realize 'you get what you pay for', but what I'd like to know is what is the best brand/camera I can buy in my price range? I would assume it's essential that the camera has flash, since cons are indoors and usually have poor lighting.

I've been shopping on Amazon.com for a digital camera and it seems that all of the cameras in my price range DO have bad reviews. Very bad reviews. But would any of them be suitable for someone who occassionally takes photos, I wonder? I want to have decent quality photos. I don't want grainy, blurry, dark pictures that disposables give you. But I certainly don't expect crisp, sharp, clean photos either. Or does a cheap camera that takes decent photos even exist? I really don't want to pay $200 for something that I will probably use less than 5 times a year. But that doesn't mean I want to sacrifice quality alltogether. Any suggestions?

••• | Next Event :: NDK NYE 2012 "Unmasked" event by D.C.C !

L O V E ♥ to cosplay themed parties, make food & prop, & bring favorite series to life !
Hyura is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

I'd look at used cameras in that price range instead of the crap they sell new. A 2 MP camera from a good manufacturer such as Sony or Canon with a few years of use should fit in that price range.

The new cheap cameras will usually give you that blurry disposable look.
A good used camera for the same price will have a much better lens.

And digitals, the average ones used by Joe Sixpack's everywhere, tend to make noisy (grainy) pictures in darker places; so don't expect too much beside the money saving.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Tomodachi, youre not going to get a camera for under 50 bucks that takes clean pics, new. I think you can definately find something used or refurb that may fit the bill and be dern close to your preferred price.

I would check into that. Much of the technology in digital has been in the form of sensors and processors, so by buying an older one with a little less power, your likely to at least get the quality of the optics, etc, from a camera that was, at one point, a more expensive product.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
stefaniecat
Camera Cat

$30-50 will get you a decent memory card ^^ - 'cause expect to need to buy a card for whatever camera you purchase, as 8MB includes is _nothing_

But yeah, I can't think of a single camera that's digital for that price that would be worth the price... my recomendation would be to wait a bit longer, save up double that amount, and then see what you can get for maybe $100...

Last edited by stefaniecat : 02-10-2006 at 01:29 PM.
stefaniecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

Let's say it costs $10 for 36 prints, film, processing, and taxes included. I don't know how many pictures you shoot in one year, but it used to cost me a digital camera each month in film and processing and I'm not even a pro (although I do take paid assignments now and then). Before making a jump to digital, I always thought about the money I was about to spend. It's after having made the switch that I noticed the money I saved. : )
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Christy McGrath
Christy

Hyura - that's a tall order...

Quality comes with price, unfortunately. If you want to go digital, then you have options. Ebay and other auction sies, camera comparison sites, wholesale suppliers, etc. but you're really not going to get much for the prices you're quoting.

If it really is only 4 - 5 times a year at conventions, you're probably better off sticking to a reasonably priced 35mm film SLR or even point-and-shoot. Remember, it's not the camera that produces great results - it's the photographer. Buy a 'cheapie' and save your money for a year or so - digital camera prices will come down and you'll find you can afford something reasonable
Christy McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
'KeKe'
Victorian Samurai

I'm afraid the closest thing to offer you would be a little 1.5 portable megapixel digicamera. And even those get up to about 50 dollars. The quality is pretty bad.

For around 100 dollars, I suggest Kodak Easyshare cameras - some of the older versions. I've had a Kodak Easyshare CX4310 for four years, and it's served me very clean, crisp photos.

If you really are penny pinching, you can always go with a slightly older film camera.