Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
AlbinoRina
Fanblade-weilding maniac.

Fang Tutorial

I've gotten a few qeustions on how to make decent, yet ceap(cost wise) fangs. This was written to any out there who want even the tiny details. This is the first time Iím made one, so just go easy and if you have any questions, just message me and Iíll try my best to answer them! Here we go! Please excuse the pics if they suck. All I can use at the moment is my webcam. ^_^

1) The first step is to buy an easily moldable wax. What Iíve been using for awhile is actually a candy. Itís a kind of wax bottle with juice inside. You bite off the cap and drink out the juice. If thereís a Holiday gas station near you, they should sell them there.

Individual Bottle: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...on/Feb1431.jpg

Package: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...waxbottles.jpg

This type of wax is REALLY easy to work with. Not to mention buying it wonít stretch your budget and you can make as many pairs as you need before you get something you like.

2) Next youíll want to take a bite out of the SIDE of an empty bottle, so you end up with a small chunk sort of shaped like a ĎDí. This small piece is what youíll be using to make the fangs. Note that if they donít turn out, just repeat the steps until you get used to how it works.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...on/Feb1433.jpg

3) Take the smaller piece and break it in half, so you end up with two small, hollow triangles. I suggest using your nail or a small blade to do this.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...on/Feb1434.jpg

4) This step is optional. I say this because Iím made fangs both using this step, and not using it and theyíve all turned out fine. Slide the hollow part of your new fang onto a toothpick and VERY quickly pass a lighter underneath it, melting the seam you made when you bit it off of the bottle. I really stress the quickly part, because if youíre not careful you could melt the wax beyond repair, start the toothpick on fire or burn yourself.

5) This next part is difficult to explain, but Iíll do my best. Now itís time for shaping your fangs! What you want to do is place your canine tooth; thatís the sharp, kind of pointy one for those that donít know, into the hollow of the wax triangle. MAKE SURE to have the seam from earlier facing the back of your canine! It makes things so much easier to
do it this way.

See? You want the rough seam to the BACK.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...on/Feb1435.jpg

6) After your tooth is slipped into the triangle, continue pushing the wax up with your fingers pinched in a V to keep the shade of the fang. Every so often, youíll want to pull the wax off your tooth and carefully remove the extra wax that has now stretched up over your gumline. The easiest way is to use a fingernail to cut it off.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...on/Feb1436.jpg

Continue doing until the wax is shaped into a fang on your tooth.

7) When the fang is in place on your tooth, VERY GENTLE bit down, making sure that the tip of your fang stays on the OUTSIDE of your teeth. Doing this shapes the back of your fang into the top of your lower canine. This allows you to easily close your mouth and talk comfortably when wearing the fangs.

8) Any more trimming and slight, but carefull reshaping can be done now so that your fangs have the look you want and are comfortable in your mouth.

WARNING: Drinking is okay when wearing the fangs but DO NOT eat with them in. The way the human jaw is when chewing will destroy the wax fangs and youíll probably end up swallowing them along with your food. Biting people is also not a good idea, considering once again the fact that these ARE wax and can be crushed with enough pressure. Donít sleep with them in either. Thatís just dumb. ^_^

I hope this helps you create your own realistic and inexpensive fangs! Like I said earlier, if you get confused on any part or need further help, donít hesitate to send me a message!

Last edited by AlbinoRina : 02-18-2006 at 11:09 PM. Reason: mistitled
AlbinoRina is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Kanaki-chan

Yey! thank you!
Kanaki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

>_< it said Fan lol

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
smallrinilady

aren't you scared you'll swallow it
i mean yea that wont be bad for you
but you'll be missing a tooth by then
smallrinilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Sol Shadow1
Judge Magister

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallrinilady View Post
aren't you scared you'll swallow it
i mean yea that wont be bad for you
but you'll be missing a tooth by then
lol

Cosplays For 2009
Organiztion XIII Member {Kingdom Hearts 2} 100% Done
Venom {Guilty Gear XX} 15% Done
Wrath (*Custom* 7 Deadly Sins) - Planning
Palkia Knight (Pokemon Gijinka) - 5% Done

Conventions For 2009
MomoCon - Mission Complete!
AWA - Mission Confirmed!
KAWA - Awaiting Mission Confirmation
Sol Shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
Vicodan

just tested

I just tested this out. By my thrid pair (3rd bottle) I tried melting the fang over the flame before fitting. Worked much better that way. Only short comming I found with these dirt cheap fangs was that they don't stay on super well. Maybe some of that fang glue stuff would solve it. Looked very close to real as long as you pinch off the excess with your nail so you maintain a natural gum line. And for 63 cents including tax for 6 bottles (about 12 pair of fangs) you just can't get any cheaper.

These would be perfect for cosplay photo shoots even without any sort of glue. A++ to the OP for the post.

Last edited by Vicodan : 06-19-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: cuz
Vicodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
OMFG_its_Hanako
Naruto and FF freak

I have a slight problem with this one. -blush- for the canine tooth thing...I kid of have more then the normal 2. I have about 6 or 8 canine-like teeth. It's rather hard to explain. You know how most people just have the normal 2 (in total) in the front well I have that yes, but I also have about 2 or 3 more behind the previous one. Would it be better just to use the first one?

Temari- 80%
Original-60%
OMFG_its_Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
lilneko06
The Huggable One

slight problem:
i have braces... so wat? i just put it on the tip then?

Come to the Dark SideÖ..We have Cookies!!!
lilneko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
chris-chan
the one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG_its_Hanako View Post
I have a slight problem with this one. -blush- for the canine tooth thing...I kid of have more then the normal 2. I have about 6 or 8 canine-like teeth. It's rather hard to explain. You know how most people just have the normal 2 (in total) in the front well I have that yes, but I also have about 2 or 3 more behind the previous one. Would it be better just to use the first one?
o.O thats odd. im kindave trying to figure out how this is possible. any chance you could post a pic?

and this is a really good tutorial. even though i dont need fangs for any reason, im gonna make a pair of these to wear at afo.
Unread 09-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

This thead is heavenly. <3

I had some store-bought fangs for my Vampire Xemnas, and they look so fake because my teeth are nowhere near as white and shiny as the fangs. I tried this out, and they look SO much more realistic! Cost me less than a dollar and 2-3 minutes for a pair. Thanks so much for writing up this tut~!

(However, I do second the idea of getting fang glue from a Halloween store. They stay in well, but they start to get loose the more you talk.)
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 04:56 AM   #11
Punkbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG_its_Hanako View Post
That sounds genetic. One of my teachers had an extra set of muscles in her jaw that she inherited from her mom, and it cracks their own enamel. <____<

I'd suggest doing the first set of canines. Those are the most visible ones anyway.
Punkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
RoxasRoxsMySoxs
Number XIII

Yayness! Me and my friend wanted to get a pair of fangs, and the only ones we could find were $50!! I'm gonna get these ASAP! *ish happy*

Cosplay List
  • Roxas - Twilight Town (Kingdom Hearts II)
    Roxas - Organization XIII
    Ciel Phantomhive (Gown) - Kuroshitsuji/ Black Butler
    Madam Red - Kuroshitsuji/ BlackButler
    N. Italy - Axis Powers Hetalia

And there will be more to come!

A scattered memory like a far-off dream.
A far-off dream like a scattered memory.
I want to line the pieces up.
Yours...And mine.
RoxasRoxsMySoxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #13
shivachan
a little girl dreaming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
>_< it said Fan lol
I know, I was hoping this would be a fan tutorial... ^^;;; Oh well... fangs are always useful too.

Cons attending:
Otafest, Animethon, Anime Expo, CCEE

Costumes to work on:
Chie [Persona 4], Linda [Okage],
Ringo [Air Gear], Mamimi [FLCL],
Sakura [Tsubasa], Elizabeth [Persona 4],
Lightning [FFXIII],
shivachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
Septen

YAY I love this! My Kiba cosplay is completed! and it's fun to walk around in public with them in for no reason. Old people stare.
Unread 07-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
shmac

Whoa, I'd totally go out and buy wax bottles just to make these for fun, but the problem is I have no canine teeth at the moment. xD Stupid periodontist. They're still in the roof of my mouth. Dx Plus the wire for my braces is right over the empty space. -_-
But anyway, thanks a lot! =D Now I'm gonna go find a cosplay I want to do *just* to have fangs. xD
shmac is offline   Reply With Quote