Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 02-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
darkdjinn
The С

PS3 Rumors?

According to Gamefaqs.com, there are widespread rumors about the faults of the PS3. What are they and where can they be found?

Of course, I think it will blow Xbox360 away completely considering the perfect backwards capability, wireless controllers, and pure power a next gen system should have. Other rumors I have seen were different controller designs, weirder than even the boomerang. Also how it will match the price of the launch price of the PS2, which Microsoft and Nintendo can hardly compete with, and which may even be for the reason for the rumors...

Anyone else hear anything? I'm not that much in the loop, but will appreciate any info.

P.S. I hear the Nintendo DS will be internet capable. That's actually kinda cool and could force me to get one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterwhisper View Post
Tekken/Soul Blade/Calibur series/Dead or Alive should also be obliterated. If I want to see titties jiggle while being high-kicked in the face, or get choked with a flailed whip-blade, I'd just piss off my girlfriend.
darkdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Tifa Lin
Lin Lin-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdjinn
According to Gamefaqs.com, there are widespread rumors about the faults of the PS3. What are they and where can they be found?

Of course, I think it will blow Xbox360 away completely considering the perfect backwards capability, wireless controllers, and pure power a next gen system should have. Other rumors I have seen were different controller designs, weirder than even the boomerang. Also how it will match the price of the launch price of the PS2, which Microsoft and Nintendo can hardly compete with, and which may even be for the reason for the rumors...

Anyone else hear anything? I'm not that much in the loop, but will appreciate any info.

P.S. I hear the Nintendo DS will be internet capable. That's actually kinda cool and could force me to get one...
I heard originally that when they scheduled the PS3 to officially come out, Xbox360 got scared and decided to bring out Halo 3 on the exact same day and time. Is that true? Cause I really think that more people will go for the PS3 than the Halo game(not that I'm bad mouthin the game. I really like Halo).

Also, on the DS subject, yes I did hear that it can go through the internet via Wi-Fi...but I'm not sure if that works because my DS games aren't qualified with Wi-Fi...
Tifa Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdjinn

Well, ignore the fact that I'm fairly out of the loop, but if I had to guess about faults with the PS3 right offhand, I think it might come from the fact that Cell processor development might not be going as well as IBM & Sony would hope. That said, it's still probably too early to be worrying about scuttlebutt from the PS3. The architecture is really new, so in this case it's going to take closer to launch to figure out issues. E3 in May might be a better time to look out for thoughts.

Launch prices, I hear, are probably not going to exceed $500. Which would hopefully make sense. I believe the talk on places like slashdot and Anime on DVD is that since the PS3 would likely be the cheapest priced Blu-Ray DVD player in general (the first gen blu-ray standalone units are apparently going to be very expensive), that it could make decent sales just from being a Blu-Ray DVD player by itself, and the game system comes "free", in a sense.

As for DS internet capability, slashdot amongst other places mention that Opera Software, makers of the Opera web browser, are releasing a web browser for the DS in Japan. Whether it'll come to America is a good question... Though I wonder why you asked "will be", since the DS has had 802.11 capability, and has had several games that use it, though probably not a web browser to allow for general surfing (disclaimer: I don't own a DS).

Those are my observations.
Unread 02-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

Okay, time to answer a few questions.

1. According to sources, the only area where the PS3 blows away the competiton is processing speed. The Cell will absolutely blow away other games with amazing power, way more than the other two guys. However, the Graphics processor isn't as powerful as the 360's. Medion and Leishu, hardware geeks that they are, probably know more about this that I do.

2. The PS3 has probably the most varied launch price of all three consoles. While the 360 came out at the assumed price of $399 ($299 for the crappy version), and while the Revo will launch at more than likely $249 or less (my guess is still $199, maybe even $149), the PS3 has been rumored to launch anywhere from $299 to $599. That's because all of the tech inside of it (Cell processor, Blu-Ray tech) should cost over $1500 total, meaning Sony's going to take huge losses on this system. So don't say it'll be that cheap. Not yet, anyway.

3. The DS is already internet capable with Nintendo's online gaming service, Nintendo WiFi Connection. Right now three games are available in the US - Mario Kart DS, Tony Hawk, and Animal Crossing - that use it. Next month two more will come out - Metroid Prime Hunters and Tetris DS. There are also several games in Japan that use it (including the awesome, Awesome, AWESOME Bleach DS - seriously, import it if you can). The company is also working with Opera on a web browser for the system. It'll be sold like a game and work from any Wifi spot.
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Short list of rumored problems:

1.) No HDD at launch. Like the PS2 they will be sold seperately. If true, this torpedos the PS3's attempt to be a fully functioning DVR out of the box and strongly hinders it's new Playstation HUB service

2.) Even without hte HDD, the cost is still enormous, circling about the area of 499-549 at launch day.

3.) Japanese and American simulatanious launch. No europe though. Depending on where you live, this is a good thing, but, Europe gets shafted again. System is looking at a september release.

4.) PS3 titles are only marginally better than the x360 titles at this point. From the developer chatter and a couple interviews over the past week, the games that we'll be seeing in the PS3's first year will look about as good as the Gears of War build that we saw a few months ago. That's not necessary bad thing, but it kind of kills the idea that anything sony showed at E3 last year was real. Killzone 2 we will not beginning. It's questionible to when we'll be seeing MGS4 as well.

But I-8 still looks great.

5.) Playstation HUB now has a montly fee. On top of which, DVR abilities may be tied in with it. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you're used to Live. Price is still unknown.

6.) No PS3 games will be 1080p until late 2007, early 2008. Apparently, devs trying to make the 1080p standard haven't been able to hold steady frame rates within them, so Sony has lowered their standards to 720p by default, just like the x360. This means that all claims that the PS3 will take gamers to a new echelon of HD gaming were completely false and that the two systems are on the same playing field.

7.) PS2-arrang IS actually the confirmed controller

8.) Smaller developers still don't have dev kits.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I come across anymore, I'll post them.

But the Taipei show is tomorrow and Sony will be showing off the PS3 tomorrow in heavy numbers, so expect confirmations or denouncements of these rumors.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
Medion

Quote:
I think it will blow Xbox360 away completely considering the perfect backwards capability, wireless controllers, and pure power a next gen system should have.
Sadly mistaken.

The Cell CPU is fairly powerful, as has been mentioned. It has more power than the tri-core used in the X360. However, the Cell's extra power comes from multi-media functions and floating point calculations that won't be used due to the late addition of the RSX.

The PS3 dev kit currently available has a 2.4ghz clocked Cell, but Sony may be using 3.2 or even 3.6ghz for the final system. What's that mean? More power for 2nd generation and beyond games, but launch games will be made with 2.4ghz in mind.

Also, the current dev kit has a 110nm G70 clocked at 430mhz. For those that don't know, that IS a GeForce 7800GTX. The final version will be running a 90nm G70 clocked at 550mhz.

Now, it's hard to go in their and actually count the transistors being used, but it looks like the move to 90nm caused the G70 to lose its vertex pipelines, leaving the Cell to handle all the transformation and vertex operations. That's entirely doable due to the direct connection between Cell and RSX.

Quote:
Other rumors I have seen were different controller designs, weirder than even the boomerang.
No one knows what the PS3 controller looks like. Ken Kutaragi refuses to show anyone his current design. The boomerang was just an E3 mockup used, and any other design you see is just a mockup by someone else.

Quote:
I heard originally that when they scheduled the PS3 to officially come out, Xbox360 got scared and decided to bring out Halo 3 on the exact same day and time. Is that true? Cause I really think that more people will go for the PS3 than the Halo game(not that I'm bad mouthin the game. I really like Halo).
Halo 3 is in developement, but I wouldn't expect it to launch around the time of the PS3. Current forecasts put it at Christmas 2007 at the easliest.

Quote:
I think it might come from the fact that Cell processor development might not be going as well as IBM & Sony would hope.
Kutaragi went up to IBM and told them what he wanted. They laughed a him. however, they did try to appease his demands, and the Cell is the result. Accoding to Kutaragi, it's 1/100th of what he had hoped for, and yet it's arguably the best multi-media processor out now. However, when it comes down to what kidn of load this thing will be under, the late addidions of the RSX and the Ageia PPU means that the Cell will typically be idle in most of it's functions.

Quote:
The Cell will absolutely blow away other games with amazing power, way more than the other two guys. However, the Graphics processor isn't as powerful as the 360's. Medion and Leishu, hardware geeks that they are, probably know more about this that I do.
I like some of the things that the RSC can do that the C1/Xenos (X360 GPU) cannot. The RSX is capable of FP16 and FP32 HDR. However, even at 550mhz, it's not going to be powerful enough to run FP32 HDR. Even FP16 HDR will be a serious drain, and technically will not allow for the use of anti-aliasing at the same time. One of my friends says that if they do implement any form of "HDR" like effects, it will be through shaders and not true precision. This will allow for AA (less jaggies).

By comparison, the C1/Xenos does not support FP16 or 32 HDR, but rather Int10 HDR while running AA at the same time. It also supports angle-indepenent AF. We're not going to see games making use of that though until the late 2nd/early 3rd generation X360 games start coming out. Launch games couldn't do AF or above 2xAA due to immaturity in the C1's tiling driver. That's been remedied, and it's believed that this is part of the reason for the delay of Oblivion.

Quote:
That's because all of the tech inside of it (Cell processor, Blu-Ray tech) should cost over $1500 total
The Blu-Ray tech won't raise the price of the PS3 by as much as some think. The main things driving the cost of Blu-Ray players up are;

-the drive itself
-a multi-media processor capable of driving 1080p and beyond
-Sony's liscensing fees and HDCP DRM

Sony won't be charging themselves a liscensing fee, and both the Cell and RSX are capable of pushing 1080p video. HDCP was a part of PS3 from the beginning. Basically, the PS3 will be able to run Blue-Ray movies because it already most of the hardware, and not the other way around.

Quote:
3.) Japanese and American simulatanious launch. No europe though. Depending on where you live, this is a good thing, but, Europe gets shafted again. System is looking at a september release.
Only way that happens is if the Japanese launch gets pushed back, or the US launch gets moved up. That would piss off some developers. Friend sof mine have been told that they have to be on schedule to have their games launch by these dates (which means going gold at least 3-4 weeks prior).

Japan - April/May-ish
US - Late October
Europe - Early November

Those were rough estimates passed down, and no one knows the exact launch dates. I'm really baffled how Sony could pass this down internally, and yet we're 2-3 months from the Japanese launch with no concrete info.

Quote:
No PS3 games will be 1080p until late 2007, early 2008. Apparently, devs trying to make the 1080p standard haven't been able to hold steady frame rates within them, so Sony has lowered their standards to 720p by default, just like the x360. This means that all claims that the PS3 will take gamers to a new echelon of HD gaming were completely false and that the two systems are on the same playing field.
The current 1080p spec limits the television to 30fps. So, devs trying to run at 1080p can't have their 60fps either. It's a compromise.

Quote:
7.) PS2-arrang IS actually the confirmed controller
No, it's not Heck, the dev-kits rely ona Dual-Shock 2 at this point.

Last edited by Medion : 02-16-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

http://playstation.com/products.html

Outdated, yet updated. Creates some rather interesting rumors. I hope it changes too, but...::Shrugs::

It wouldn't be the worst decision that sony has ever made.

Unread 02-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Rumors 2,3,5,6 and 8 confirmed today at the Taipei Game Show.

Unread 02-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
darkdjinn
The С

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion
Sadly mistaken.
So if/when will you get a PS3? As for me, I probably will not get one at launch having heard all this. I will wait for the 2nd or 3rd revamped system to come out and I want to wait for the good games to come out. Launch titles don't interest me all that much. Does anyone even own a 1st gen/launched PS2? Doubtful, since the newer games are unplayable on it or it just plain died on you (like my last 2 did, I am on #3 right now. P.S., never try to MOD a PS2 unless you what yer doing.).

Time to be patient I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterwhisper View Post
Tekken/Soul Blade/Calibur series/Dead or Alive should also be obliterated. If I want to see titties jiggle while being high-kicked in the face, or get choked with a flailed whip-blade, I'd just piss off my girlfriend.

Last edited by darkdjinn : 02-17-2006 at 07:20 PM.
darkdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

I'm not getting a PS3 until a signifigant price drop goes through. I was able to wait for a PS2 price drop, I can wait for a PS3.

That price point is just...a little too much. Hell, it's almost as much as a car payment...

Unread 02-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
RoboGundam6
Second Life Addict

PS3 might not even come out in 2007. Why giltches in the system and a hot debate over in Sony right now. They are losing money and fast, at this rate Nintendo could come back. btw, its costs more than $900 to built a PS3.

Saw it on the news last night.

Here is a related article: http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...icle346718.ece

Last edited by RoboGundam6 : 02-21-2006 at 09:54 AM.
RoboGundam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #12
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboGundam6
PS3 might not even come out in 2007. Why giltches in the system and a hot debate over in Sony right now. They are losing money and fast, at this rate Nintendo could come back. btw, its costs more than $900 to built a PS3.

Saw it on the news last night.

Here is a related article: http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...icle346718.ece
It's hard to say. Sony keeps saying Spring, Spring, Spring, Spring, Spring, and I'd be hard-pressed to not believe them: Remember, everyone thought the PSP would be delayed into 2005, and there it was, hitting Japan in December. It's also not going to cost $900 to buy a PS3, but it's pretty much assured this is going to be an expensive system....a VERY expensive system. But we'll see.
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #13
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

It's gonna be 400 bucks at launch, according to a source that will get me into a lot of trouble if I reveal it on the internet. Yay for secrets,

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #14
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824
It's gonna be 400 bucks at launch, according to a source that will get me into a lot of trouble if I reveal it on the internet. Yay for secrets,
I doubt sony is willing to take an at least 250 dollar hit per console. Even if the 800 dollar cost price is fake,the last rumored cost we had was at last e3 before the prices for everything were finalized, and that was 574. The x360 currently takes a hit of 126 per unit, but only because M$ can afford to take the hit. Sony cannot at this point. I predict a 499-549 release point, and it will take years and years for Sony to break even off of hardware.

But it looks like the delay rumors are gaining more steam. Sony's stock took a hit because of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4731128.stm

Unread 02-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #15
RoboGundam6
Second Life Addict

I didn't say it would cost $900, I said how much it takes to built it. I'm sure they are going to sell it much cheaper.