Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
Darth Takeo
Team Takeo

Which hotel will you be staying at for Dragon*Con?

We're returning to the Marriott. It seemed most centralized and the choice of places to eat was excellent.

Where do you plan to stay and why there?

Unread 03-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
halafax
Mad scientist

Im in the hiton...
Unread 03-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Darth Takeo
Team Takeo

Any reason for picking the Hilton or just cuz?

Only curious since they're all virtually the same price, plus since we've only been to one Dragon*Con so far, wanted to see if there were any advantages/disadvantages to the other hotels...
Unread 03-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
halafax
Mad scientist

its easier to get in and out, though the lack of elevators is a pain. But you dont have to deal with ppl playing drunken games in elevators...it was cheaper last year
Unread 03-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
kitsunered

We're staying in the Mariott.

I personally hate staying in the Hyatt because the staff is rude, it's usually so crowded it takes half an hour to get anywhere, it's loud, the wait for the elevators can take forever, etc.

I like staying in the Mariott because, even during the day when the dealers room and art show and various panels are running, it's still pretty quiet and it's easy to get to just about anywhere.

I actually considered staying in the Hilton this year since gaming has been moved over there and I'm trying to run a game at the convention. However, they wanted a fairly large deposit upon reservation and I wasn't pleased with that. I didn't know they didn't have an elevator, so now I'm really glad I didn't book a room there. Due to knee and arch problems, I can't walk up and down flights of stairs easily. How on earth do they make the hotel accessable to handicapped people?

Costumes for 2007: Ran (Texhnolyze), She-Ra (She-Ra: Princess of Power), Marie's Black Masquerade Gown (Sofia Coppola's Marie Antionette), EGA Plum Walking Suit (Original Design)

Cons for 2007: Katsucon (tentative), Animazement (tentative), MomoCon, Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta
kitsunered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
halafax
Mad scientist

the elevators come, its just if you are dealing with props it can be a pain. THough I like the lack of crowds the hilton.I am thinking about running a game this year too....Look for Beyond The Grave at con, that will be me...
Unread 03-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
TechieCL
MomoCon HeadStaff

Marriott for me for the fourth year in a row. ^_^ its good to have family that has platinum rewards status to book the room.

MomoCon On Tour get your Fan-Fix between conventions. Photoshoots, dances, and more!
TechieCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Marriott all the way. I already have my room booked. Just need to get my membership purchased and get my friends to do the same. I love the look and feel of the Marriott. I will admit getting out of there when the con is over is a bit tricky, but what else is new?
fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #9
TheWickedOne
alcoholic since 1980!

some events have arisen that may actually keep me from the con, but they will have to try hard to insure the keep. i still have every intention of being there. if possible, it'll be the hyatt. i don't care about the elevators, i'll get a room on a low floor if possible, then take the stairs. i just want to be local to the constant party, and that's where it's at. that's where everything is going on at all hours, and i can deal with everything else, i just don't want to walk, and i want to party with all of my friends, so it'll help to have a room close by as disposal to any element of debauchery that may take place!
TheWickedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
kitsunered

Quote:
Originally Posted by halafax
the elevators come, its just if you are dealing with props it can be a pain. THough I like the lack of crowds the hilton.I am thinking about running a game this year too....Look for Beyond The Grave at con, that will be me...
Ah, okay. I thought you meant they didn't have elevators at all! Some of the older hotels in Atlanta don't, so I thought the Hilton might be in a similar state.

I'll look out for your game. I'm likely running one called the Minoan Society under the heading of Lurking Fear Productions, provided my bid is accepted.

Costumes for 2007: Ran (Texhnolyze), She-Ra (She-Ra: Princess of Power), Marie's Black Masquerade Gown (Sofia Coppola's Marie Antionette), EGA Plum Walking Suit (Original Design)

Cons for 2007: Katsucon (tentative), Animazement (tentative), MomoCon, Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta
kitsunered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #11
reannaremick

Marriott 4 eva. BFF. I loathe to even think about staying in the Hyatt again. *shudder*
reannaremick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
halafax
Mad scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunered
Ah, okay. I thought you meant they didn't have elevators at all! Some of the older hotels in Atlanta don't, so I thought the Hilton might be in a similar state.

I'll look out for your game. I'm likely running one called the Minoan Society under the heading of Lurking Fear Productions, provided my bid is accepted.

There arent many elevators in the Hilton, but they run faster than the ones int he mariotte. I tried getting my death hauler up in one, 30 mins later I was still waiting.....

stupid ppl....

If things go well I will be co DMing a Drow campagien for D & D 3.5...
Unread 03-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
joeranger
Joe Ranger

Hilton, to be close to the bar...
joeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #14
Darth Takeo
Team Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeranger
Hilton, to be close to the bar...
Don't you mean Hyatt...?
Unread 03-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
vampirate

I <3 the Marriott. Staying at one of the non-con hotels is just too far away and too much trouble, especially once you take costumes into consideration. There's just way too much craziness/elevator issues going on at the Hyatt. If you do stay in the Hyatt though stay in one of the towers. The elevator issues are better over there than in the central location. And from the Marriott you still barely ever have to go outside to get to the Hyatt thanks to the "hamster trails". And then there's the entrances to both hotels that are across the street from each other. The Marriott is very nice and convienent. Oh, and my friends who has platinum rewards at the Marriott books our rooms, that's one of my reasons too.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote