Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 03-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
bag0k
Sailor srs >:|

Difficult to attain orange color in a wig... (or purple)

If anyone is a crazy stalker and reads every thead I make they could conclude that I change what costume I'm working on every month. I'm sure we all do, especially when the next con you're going to is in August. But no matter, I collect techniques and add them to my ever growing list of bookmarks.

But enough about that. This time I'm dead sure I'll be doing this one. But I'm having trouble working out the wig. No way I'm dying my hair a funny color again *shudder.* The character has orange hair... but it's an unusual shade of orange. Kindof a carrot orange. I'm having trouble deciding how I should deal with that. Should I go thorugh the hassle of wig dying? I'm a little afraid I'll end up with the wrong color though, or just screw up the whole wig. Or should I just quit being so picky and go with whatever orange color I find first?
Edit: Just realized that it might look nice if I added pink to an orange wig... hmm...

The other version of the costume has an unusual purple color. I'll probably go with the orange haired version because overall the costume looks nicer. I don't like that toothpaste green color...

There's also the matter of styling. I've managed to successfully style my first wig but it was a whole different style. I'm thinking I can get a boring china doll-ish wig and get it to fip outward, but how do I do that?

Thanks ahead of time for any input ^_^. btw, this is Temperance from Magical Drop 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29b036d0.jpg (53.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 207cbd96.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by bag0k : 03-05-2006 at 03:13 PM.
bag0k is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
Neko-Miko

I think, adding pink highlights to an orange wig should work fine ^^ Just make sure the wig you start with isn't a too vigorous/dark shade of orange, since it looks a bit more pale on the pic.
Neko-Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

Ok, first of all, I LOVE MAGICAL DROP III!!!
I wanted to make World my 1st cosplay, and I was going to tear up my aquamarine silk sheets to do it, but my mom found out what i was planning and hid them on me! I haven't seen them since! haha! So i ended up not cosplaying untill the next year, where I went as Meroko from Full Moon Wo Sagashite...but i dyed my hair pink for that cosplay... ANYWAYS, have you tried eBay? I've gotten a LOT of my most amazing wigs off of there.
Just make sure to check out the fiber info on the wig to make sure its a good nuff quality, and the sellers reputation to make sure ur buying from a honnest person
So far, i've only had good eBay experiances to talk about!
Unread 03-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
WoggyWooWoo
Kind of a big deal

I'd actually say to start with a blonde or light pink (pastel- like cotton candy) wig for the orange color. Most orange wigs are BRIGHT, and you wouldn't be able to lighten it to the proper color. The only way to really tone it down any would be to darken it. So you'd be better off not starting with an orange wig.

For the Purple, either white or platnium, and maybe even light pink. I haven't had enough experience with coloring, but those should work
WoggyWooWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
bag0k
Sailor srs >:|

TribalButterfly: Dude, Magical Drop three is insanley awesome. But World wears like, nothing O_O :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoggyWooWoo
I'd actually say to start with a blonde or light pink (pastel- like cotton candy) wig for the orange color. Most orange wigs are BRIGHT, and you wouldn't be able to lighten it to the proper color. The only way to really tone it down any would be to darken it. So you'd be better off not starting with an orange wig.

For the Purple, either white or platnium, and maybe even light pink. I haven't had enough experience with coloring, but those should work
Aah, of course! I didn't think of starting with a pink wig... Yeah, the shades of orange cosworx offer are either too dark or too yellow. :/ Thanks a bunch!
Unread 03-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag0k
TribalButterfly: Dude, Magical Drop three is insanley awesome. But World wears like, nothing O_O :P

Yea, I know, but shes my favorite, and compleetly awesome!
I was gunna figure out something. I always do!