Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gundam

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
Chibi-kun
spam and rice! >D

Gundam Uniform Cosplay

I believe theres already a thread purtaining to this topic but its most likely dead and have focused greatly on Seed and Destiny Cosplay. Anyways, I wanted to ask for some tips as to how should I go about making Garma Zabi's uniform? (yay for UC Cosplay XD)
such as pattern hunting and how should I go about creating the giant crest on his chest and the tassles on his shoulder?
I thought of embroidering it but I dont know how well that would work if I were to put buttons/zippers on the front of the shirt like a normal uniform. Or if I should paint it on/screen print it on?.

thanks

maybe someday I can make Anavel Gato's costume as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250px-Garma_Zabi_%28Gundam%29.jpg (9.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0079_12.jpg (24.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: gif chara_garma_a.gif (15.7 KB, 0 views)

Chibi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Cora
Shine Forever

*Oh noes! lookie, I'm a SEED cosplayer!* XD

Anyway...I think someone asked a similar question about another UC uniform...I don't remember what character it was....(I don't keep track of UC), but it had a very similar design on the front. You might try doing a search on this forum to find it and see what people said about that.

Personally I think I'd cut out the shape you need in a gold-colored material and top-stitch it on with invisible thread. You'd probably have to figure out how to turn the edges under a little so you don't have fraying fabric on the top of the uniform.

As for the tassles, I know there's a pattern by one of the major companies that has like a fairy-tale prince costume with similar shoulder pad tassle thingies. I can't remember what one it is, and that particular pattern I don't have on hand, otherwise I'd check for you. But it might be able to give you some ideas.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
arick86

If I were building this, I'd start with a basic suit jacket pattern, look at the selection Butterick patterns have, they have a lot of historical jackets and you should be able to find one that extends below the hip.

For the gold design, i'd use a gold fabric cut out the design and affix it to the jacket with stitch witchery (fold the edges of the gold fabric under so they don't fray.)

You can buy tassels at any fabric store or even wal-mart... i'd use a combo of polymer clay and tassels to make the shoulder things.

hope that helps...

Rising New Moon Studios
arick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
Chibi-kun
spam and rice! >D

i figured i would either have to use fabric for the cold trimming or just spring print it on and cut it down the middle to add the zipper/buttons on it so I can open and close it almost like a real uniform.

alright thanks

Chibi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote