Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-14-2006, 04:27 AM   #1
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Envy Wig Making Tutorial

Ack...I hate making this thread since I've found similar ones buuut.....

I was wondering if anyone out there has made an Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist wig and could provide a tutorial or give advice in any way?

I don't want to get just a long green wig and put it into dreadlocks either...I want the nice full palm tree-esque effect. ^_^ I tried playing around with using my natural hair and...well, you can see the results yourself:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...envyclose2.jpg
Yikes huh? LOL
Plus having to shampoo three times to get it all out was *not* fun I tell you! ^_^
I've seen only a couple of cosplayers on here that have this wig (and alas, I forget their ID's or I'd PM them) and I'm dying to know how they did it!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
WoggyWooWoo
Kind of a big deal

I just finished that wig last night XD
I won't have pictures posted until later this week/this weekend, though.

I sectioned off each of the spikes, making sure that it was smooth and tangle-free before I started styling. Then I used watered-down tacky glue to style them. Play with some extra extensions first, so you know how much water you need to add. I also used hairspray to help set it, since I wasn't able to get the tacky glue all the way down to the roots. One of the nice things about using tacky glue and hairspray is that they'll wash out if you mess up, you just have to soak them in water for a bit.

Also, a few Envy's have made their wigs out of fun foam, so you might consider that. They cut it into long strips and sew it onto... a weave cap or a hat or something, I dunno exactly what.
WoggyWooWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

*nods* I'd really wanted to make it out of the foam! ^_^ I thought it looked pretty authentic to the character. I just wasn't sure how to go about doing the roots of the wig to where the weave cap showed through....

I can't wait to see how yours turned out though! ^_^
Unread 03-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
WoggyWooWoo
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure how they did their's, either. It's probably in the way that the "strands" are arranged (I know that was part of the key to mine - I made the wig myself, since the arrangement of the wefts on a normal wig just didn't work with what I wanted to do). Also, I had a few spots that kinda of showed through, so I patched them up with some felt in the same color as the hair (I'm thinking about adding a few more extensions later to help fill in some of those spots better, but the felt will work for now). Also, a dark wig cap should help hide the holes.
WoggyWooWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Goddess Iduna

I have no idea who that is, so I might be waaaaaay off with this. I just made a wig with some loops in it and I used this really thin kids crafty foam (forget the name of it) and and sewed it into a tube type thingie. Then I ran a wire through it and culked it down and sewed it for extra support. After I bent it into the shape I wanted, I twisted the hair around it using hairspray and a hair dryer on low. The foam ended up going flat instead of staying round, but it still turned out really well.

That's probably not what you're going for, but maybe you could use a similar method. If not, then....ignore this. LOL
Goddess Iduna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Hmm..well, I was messing around with craft foam last night and this afternoon and this is what I came up with...Not sure if I'm actually going to wear this or not but I had fun making it at least!:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...i/Dscf0438.jpg
Don't I just look thrilled in the photo? haha! ^_^

It's shorter than what I'd like in the back but I've since added a few more strands since that picture was taken and it's nicer and more full looking.

I need to tweeze the stray glue pieces since you can still see a bit and I'm going to do a light spray of adhesive as a base and then do another light spray of a dark green paint to give it a nice highlighted look. ^^