Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-18-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
Kid_san

Makeup for men

No, I'm not asking specific brands or anything like that (well, unless you want to preach about what works.)

My boyfriend and I will be doing Kurogane and Fai this year at ACEN. I've heard that makeup does wonders for you. I'm hoping to get lots of photoshooting done of us, as these are probably the best costumes we've worn thus far.

Could anyone provide some tips on what would be the most beneficial to use? I'm sure if I run to our girl friends, they'll have a field day and want to play "Dress the boys in makeup."

Also, as a note on my own facial features, I am the definition of 5 'o'clock shadow (okay, a slight exaduration.), so is anyone experienced enough to know if there's anything I can do to mask this with makeup for at least a short while? Or do I simply stick to my rule of, "Don't cosplay/shave until later in the day?"
Kid_san is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

wax it off? this takes it out from the roots so it takes longer for the stubble to grow back. its a little painful, but its done very fast if you go to a salon or something. =)
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
metamagenta
Pin Up Queen

Waxing your facial hair (for men) sounds like an exceedingly painful procedure. Men's facial hair is relatively thick... and the thought of those being ripped out of such sensetive skin sends shivers down my spine.

If you want to reduce or eliminate the appearance of facial hair, I'd say use Ben Nye's Five O'Sharp, which you can order online, although it does come in limited colors, so blending would be necessary and may be a bit complicated for those not skilled with makeup. You could also grab some MAC Studio Fix, which helps a lot... I tend to use it if I'm going out in some sort of androgynous look and I don't mind some facial hair showing through. It's sheer enough that you won't look exceedingly femenine wearing it.

Barring using makeup, I'd say yes, shave as late in the day as possible and don't shave for as long as possible before that.
Unread 03-21-2006, 04:54 AM   #4
Shizzo

long winded tips for natural looking guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_san
Could anyone provide some tips on what would be the most beneficial to use? I'm sure if I run to our girl friends, they'll have a field day and want to play "Dress the boys in makeup."

I'll leave facial hair covering tips to those who've got experience in that area...

As for tips, wearing make-up really does make your face look better in photographs. It also makes your face more visible from the stage if you're going to be in the masquerade. All of my tips are things I do to look nice in photographs... not neccesarily tips on how to look good in person...as the two can be quite different

Note: I know my instructions sound stupidly over-simplified... but I don't know how much experience with make up you guys have >_>;

Being that you're two guys, and that you don't want to "play dress up", I'm assuming you're going for a natural look. That being said, you'd probobly do good with a combination of foundation (that would be the flesh colored make up in the bottles, most of the time...although there are kinds that come in compacts too.) and powder (in the same color). Apply the foundation to your face by blending it evenly over your entire face AND any parts of your neck that will be showing. If you don't apply make up to your neck too your neck will look like it's a different color than your face. After you've made sure you've got all your foundation blended on nicely, apply the powder (which normally comes in compacts) with the little puff thingy it comes with. Just... pat the make up with the puff and then pat it on your face.

To find the color make up for you and your friend, you two may have to brave the make up section of the store. (Perhaps you can have a gal pal come with you in the isle so it looks like you're shopping for her...). To find the right shade of make up you'll have to try some of it on. Don't worry about opening up the bottles, as every girl who goes in that isle probobly opens something up to test it out on themselves. If you pay attention you'll probobly see a lot of open packages. "They" say the best place to try foundation on while you're in the middle of the store is your inner wrist area of your arm, as that's a part of your body you can see without a mirror, I suppose. My face is darker than my inner wrist but that method still works for me for some reason, so you'll probobly be OK. Anyway, rub a little foundation onto your wrist with your finger. The color that seems to "disappear" the most is the color you want. You want it to be the same color as your face.

I'd suggest a little bit of blush on your cheeks too, as they may end up looking washed out with the foundation on... but most guys I know get snarky when I want to put blush on them ^_^;

I also think any man can improve with a little bit of eyeliner and mascara... but again, with the snarkiness.
Shizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
metamagenta
Pin Up Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzo
I'd suggest a little bit of blush on your cheeks too, as they may end up looking washed out with the foundation on... but most guys I know get snarky when I want to put blush on them ^_^;

I also think any man can improve with a little bit of eyeliner and mascara... but again, with the snarkiness.
I tend to agree with this. If you're leery about blush, I'd say it's more skip-able than the eye stuff, although for a very natural look, you can use white eyeliner on the inner and outer corners of your eyes and a more minimal amount of mascara.

Now that I think about it, I'd also reccommend a bit of powder in the eyebrow, too. Or at the very least, clear eyebrow modeling stuff. Honestly, I'm not sure of the techincal name, but I use it when I want my brows to look nice. The brand I've always used is Lancome's Modele Sourcils, but I know plenty of other brands (MAC and Stila come to mind) also have it.
Unread 03-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
PinqFuu
Masochist Perfectionist

Men makeup

For my boyfriend he had pulled an all nighter before his graduation. He had bags under his eyes, and reluctantly he let me put concealer under his eyes. It cleared him up just like that and was more confident about his appearance.

I highly recommend a book by a famous make up artist, Kevin Aucoin, Making Faces. Not only does he go over theatrical types, classic looks, etc. But also how to do men's make up for general use. You can apply all his techniques together to get a great look.

I know most men who wear make up usually wear liquid foundation to cover up that 5 o'clock, or usually try to avoid certain times of the day when it becomes most obvious.

Good luck, I hope this was helpful :3
PinqFuu is offline   Reply With Quote