Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 03-21-2006, 11:56 PM   #1
BoinkCoBoy
Kevin Roche, CC26 Chair

View a bit of Costume History at Costume-con.org -- now easy to tour!

You may not know it, but there is nearly a quarter century of fan costume history in the photo archives at www.costume-con.org!

Unfortunately, the site was started before any of the tools that make the process of building a photo gallery simple were available, and every photo page had to be built by hand by the Costume-Con archivist Betsy Delaney. As the archives grew, it became harder and harder to keep up.

I've undertaken to modernize those photo archives into a new database-driven Costume-Con Visual Archive, accessible at http://www.costume-con.org/gallery2.

All 23 years of Costume-Con have albums; a few don't have photos yet, but Betsy is working on filling in the gaps now that the tools are installed.

So, please, go have a look at what folks like Karen Dick were doing on stage 23 years ago! (Be warned -- some of the oldest photos are definitely showing the gap in image technology between then and now)

So go explore, see what's to be seen, and take a little trip back in costume history!

Kevin Roche

P.S. We're still working on transferring all the individual photo descriptions from the old hand-built pages; if anyone cares to help with that project leave a comment in my post at http://costume_con.livejournal.com
Documented Costumer since 1968 (No! Really!)

One of the founders of the International Costumers Guild
Member of the ICG Fairness Guidelines Committee
Recipient, 2007 ICG Lifetime Achievement Award

My Journal: Adventures of an Urban Jungleboy

Last edited by BoinkCoBoy : 03-22-2006 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Just modified my subscription options...
BoinkCoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Oh wow.... that is very easy to navigate, thank you!

Those costumes are stunning. I cannot imagine the hours that went into creating each one! The detail is incredible, and the ideas are so original. Truly inspirational!

One day I hope to be up there too (attending CC25/07). I hope my costume does it justice after seeing all these wonderful creations. I'm nervous but excited to try!

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
BoinkCoBoy
Kevin Roche, CC26 Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
Oh wow.... that is very easy to navigate, thank you!

Those costumes are stunning. I cannot imagine the hours that went into creating each one! The detail is incredible, and the ideas are so original. Truly inspirational!

One day I hope to be up there too (attending CC25/07). I hope my costume does it justice after seeing all these wonderful creations. I'm nervous but excited to try!
Don't let them scare you. My other half spends most of his weekends at CC in jeans and a t-shirt. One of our most popular costumes from the last year are our "LiveJournal Commando" uniforms, which are off-the-rack BDUs with ink-jet printed insignia ironed on. If you like costumes, you can have a blast at CC whether you compete or not.

And if you want a hoot, check out my Hall Costume from Costume Con 8. Yup, it's a dancing building. Won the first ever "Spazzy Award".

By the way, if you want to find the name of any costume that hasn't yet been updated, it is available in the old archives that start at http://www.costume-con.org/CClink/index.shtml
The photo number in the new gallery is the same as the entry number in the older lists.

Last edited by BoinkCoBoy : 03-22-2006 at 12:51 AM.
BoinkCoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I've received a report that this thread is perhaps in the wrong forum, as it is about links to photos of past Con Masquerade costumes and presentations, as opposed to asking for help with and discussion of the topic of skits and presentations.

As there is currently no Costume Con convention forum in which to post links to con and masquerade photos, it's being moved to the generic "Other" convention forum.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote